Scav Karma Suggestions - Make Penalties More Severe - Longer Raid Cooldown

Datvivar

Hey all,

Idea - I did not directly see this, but has there been any talk of making an adjustment to it, where if you lose rep in a raid (let's say you kill another scav) that you have your next scav timer balloon up?  Like instead of 20 mins, excluding any decreases in time, it makes your next scav available after 40 mins?  Or some time reasonable enough to function as a deterrent, but not enough to make people hate the game.  Like if I where to panic and accidentally kill another scav, lose rep in a raid, I'd be okay with the longer scav cooldown, like my bad. 

Alternatively, you could shorten the scav cooldown as a reward for earning rep.  Like make it if you kill a pmc, that positive karma boost, you can take your next scav run immediately after you finish this one.  Or if you just get out with the +.01 for not harming another scav, you would get 1 minute of your cooldown. 

Thoughts?  Maybe somebody suggested this already, but just in case this is novel, figured I would start a post about it (searched a couple of pages and didn't find this idea). 

Cheers,

Datvi

• Upvote 1

Not even only that. Srsly. I get killed by Scavs in Scav runs 75% out of every Scav run.

For example the last run. Walked around looting, Scav walks by, communicates and wiggles. Follows me and Headshots me while i loot a Stash. OK. Cool! 

Make that poo even harder!  THis is duck in Bullshit!

• 4 weeks later...

I disagree with more severe punishments. While I absolutely hate being killed by a player scav, it SHOULD be a risk. Gameplay-wise, I think it makes more sense to incentivize scav teamwork rather than punish people for playing in the way they want.

This is the first iteration of scav karma, so I think it needs a TON of work (karma takes a ton to grind out, scav raids can only have 10 minutes left on already looted maps, no real reason to be a good scav, etc.) but if I had to throw out a suggestion, I would say make scav raids more accessible to people who aren't total d-bags.

If you get killed by a player scav and DON'T KILL non-hostile scavs, maybe your scav timer should be, like, 25-33% shorter for the next scav raid. Instead of 4 minutes, it's 3. That way, even people who are bad scavs can have a reason to not blast scavs; their 20 minute timer is now 15 minutes. Noticeably shorter is the key imho, because, ya'll are right: it's just as dangerous for scavs as it is players, and that's just bad gameplay. The deck is already stacked against scavs with time and gear constraints. No one likes spawning in with 10 minutes, a toz, and no meds feeling like "well, damn. This was a waste," to only be essentially TK'd right at extract.

• Like 1

Yeah, I think you are on to something.  I do think both could be an effective measure.  I like the shorter cooldown especially if you get killed by another player scav, like ambushed, things taken, you don't shoot back because they just douchebag on you.  I'd definitely scav more often if I could.  Positive incentives are great.  :)

And you're right on the scav karma is a work in progress.  It took them forever to make it so that if you successfully extract without earning negative rep, you gain .01 rep, and that should have been implemented right from the get go.  I am down with the grind of slowly getting up rep actually, but another idea I've come across to speed up rep gain is the thought of making scav objectives that could increase your rep in a map.  Like if you go in and turn on the power in reserve, you would get plus .01 rep or something (it'd give scavs more motivation to go different places on the map). 

But I think there still needs to be some sort of punitive measure to disincentivize killing a friendly player scav and a longer scav timer doesn't take away that choice, it just makes it more hefty of a choice.   A lot want higher fence rep penalties, but I don't like that... it seems like the most douche-y scav players ignore the rep anyways, and for a good scav who is maybe newer, jumpy, accidentally kills a friendly scav, they shouldn't lose a lot of rep through being scared/trigger happy.  I think a longer cooldown is arguably the more fair way to try to dissuade players from, in some way, "ruining" the games for others. 

But you've made me think, maybe 50 minutes is too much - would a small increase (adding 10 minutes) make an impact? 

• Like 1

I personally think you should get .001 rep for every item you share with another scav in raid, up to .01 per scav raid. I personally find that, if I share loot with other scavs, they actually team up with me for a little bit, even if they don't take the loot.

I think the max a person should wait for a scav raid is 45 minutes, because that's the full length of like a Customs raid for PMCs. I don't know about anyone else, but I tend to run a scav, then a PMC, then a scav, then a PMC.

I've also heard people talk about changing bad rep scavs' outfits to something torn and bloody or something else unique to let you know they have negative rep, which I also think could be a good idea if done right.

There have also been suggestions to just make their starting gear worse on average, so they are less effective at being offensive, but I think that will just make people not want to scav.

Regardless, I think it would be stupid of BSG to not develop scav karma and the scav system more, as tons of people actually really enjoy it. (Myself included.) I don't usually have a ton of time to play this game between work and school, so scav raids offer a more calm way to earn money to actually fund my PMC endeavors and cool down from stupidly awful tasks that tilt me (I'm looking at you Setup...) Luckily, though, it does seem that BSG wants this feature to work and will continue to develop it, so all we can do is try to be constructive on the forums and hopefully things will improve.

Side note: I think the biggest benefit of scavving is for money because the Flea Market is totally a godsend that is ruining the game rn. It isn't about the level you can access it, but what the flea market offers that makes the wipe's life decline. Implement shipping times for the flea!

• Like 2

14 hours ago, JelliedGasoline said:

I've also heard people talk about changing bad rep scavs' outfits to something torn and bloody or something else unique to let you know they have negative rep, which I also think could be a good idea if done right.

Implement shipping times for the flea!

Love both of these ideas.  :)   Yeah, shipping times for flea market purchases would be cool - they could even set it up so that it is similar to how you sell items on the flea... like you could only purchase so many items at once (or in a day?) and maybe with higher rep you could do more items?

Either way - cool ideas. 

• Like 1

I would be happy already if you could gain a significant amount of scav rep without having to find a pmc mate to team up with or something. Maybe I'm just not aware of ways to increase rep for an amount that matters solo, but as far as I know there isn't much other than the 0.01 or whatever rep per successful run, at least if you can't do any of the "bodyguarding bosses" etc. because they'll immediately shoot you (which I thought wasn't supposed to be happening anymore?).

Also find myself losing a poo ton of rep for more or less defending myself, or accidently shooting a scav , to a degree where there's really no point in caring about the karma, which might even be why so many just don't give a crap and still KoS everything. Well that, and the lack of meaningful rewards for positive rep (as far as I can tell from other's YouTube videos anyway) maybe.

I'm all for putting harsher penalties on players being dickheads, but the whole system needs more work before that imo. I guess the issue with people ignoring the karma system will almost resolve its self then.

Edited by ar4wn05
  • Like 1