Stop forcing quests to play the game.

Lordnivek1

Nearly every aspect of the game is now locked behind questing. Why do we not have multiple ways to achieve things in the game? 

1.Want to level you character...well you are going to have to quest...because killing and looting exp is basically a joke past like level 10.  

- You should be able to turn in dog tags and gain good exp depending on the level of the (non grouped) tag. My opinion is this should be the main source of exp.

-  quests should be there to supplement leveling not the so grossly OP in the amount of exp they give out that everything else pales in comparison. I feel like the amount of exp to level each level has increased to keep up with how much exp the quests give while nothing else in the game has received any exp boosts to match.

3 Want to level up your traders...well you guess it, you better start questing, because that is the only way to raise loyalty

- quests should not be the only way to get loyalty and raise your traders. You have all these streamer items. Each vendor should have a list of items they will trade for loyalty. (and make those items unsellable on the flee) I don't care if you even make them find in raid only to get the loyalty. 

2. Want to build up your hide out...well better get questing because you need both levels (see 1) and loyalty from the trader (see 2). 

I am not even saying my options above for things to added are the best way even. I just want so see some other options added in order to play the game that doesn't involve quests. Please add multiple avenues in which a player can achieve goals. Incase you haven't noticed I despise questing lol. Every big patch seems to keep linking more and more things to quest, and its to the point now that the last wipe and this wipe, I have barely even played.  Its a shame and upsetting to me because I like so much about the game, but unless you quest there is little you can accomplish now. 

• Like 4
  • Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

3 hours ago, Lordnivek1 said:

Nearly every aspect of the game is now locked behind questing. Why do we not have multiple ways to achieve things in the game? 

1.Want to level you character...well you are going to have to quest...because killing and looting exp is basically a joke past like level 10.  

- You should be able to turn in dog tags and gain good exp depending on the level of the (non grouped) tag. My opinion is this should be the main source of exp.

-  quests should be there to supplement leveling not the so grossly OP in the amount of exp they give out that everything else pales in comparison. I feel like the amount of exp to level each level has increased to keep up with how much exp the quests give while nothing else in the game has received any exp boosts to match.

3 Want to level up your traders...well you guess it, you better start questing, because that is the only way to raise loyalty

- quests should not be the only way to get loyalty and raise your traders. You have all these streamer items. Each vendor should have a list of items they will trade for loyalty. (and make those items unsellable on the flee) I don't care if you even make them find in raid only to get the loyalty. 

2. Want to build up your hide out...well better get questing because you need both levels (see 1) and loyalty from the trader (see 2). 

I am not even saying my options above for things to added are the best way even. I just want so see some other options added in order to play the game that doesn't involve quests. Please add multiple avenues in which a player can achieve goals. Incase you haven't noticed I despise questing lol. Every big patch seems to keep linking more and more things to quest, and its to the point now that the last wipe and this wipe, I have barely even played.  Its a shame and upsetting to me because I like so much about the game, but unless you quest there is little you can accomplish now. 

You do realize the entire game revolves around quests right an most of the quest now are just place holders for the main story quests also you can gain a ton of xp farming raiders. Should take no more than 3 days to hit level 20. 

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

It revolves around them now yes. I still think quests are the worst thing they ever added to the game. The game to me has been going down hill ever since they did.  

I wish it would take me 3 days to get to 20 but it takes me months to get to even 15. I don't ever want to do a single quest, and I think that is the point you missed. I am still level 13 playing off and on, and usually don't play long as the I cant do anything with out questing.  I have millions and millions and millions of dollars but cant do anything with it lol

I think the worst thing about quests is that it forces me tp play on maps I hate, like factory or woods which is eye cancer where everything looks like a rainbow puked on the monitor. Foliage is pure eye cancer as well. So far I mostly did the customs missions but don't want to play other maps. Another thing is that players are all geared up to the max after a couple of weeks after wipe. I mostly like firefights days after wipe, feels much more realistic.

• Like 2

10 hours ago, Lordnivek1 said:

It revolves around them now yes. I still think quests are the worst thing they ever added to the game. The game to me has been going down hill ever since they did.  

As far as I'm aware, they've pretty much have been in the game forever. Back when open beta first started in June 2017, it had quests, and prior to that, the game was extremely basic with minimal content and a minimal following. I don't know if it had quests, but I have no reason to assume it didn't.

So basically, you either have no idea what you're talking about or you're trying to find a creative way to say "I hate quests" by being misleading and acting like quests were a recent addition.

Edited by Sir_Mossy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

8 hours ago, paracelsus1981 said:

I think the worst thing about quests is that it forces me tp play on maps I hate, like factory or woods which is eye cancer where everything looks like a rainbow puked on the monitor. Foliage is pure eye cancer as well. So far I mostly did the customs missions but don't want to play other maps. Another thing is that players are all geared up to the max after a couple of weeks after wipe. I mostly like firefights days after wipe, feels much more realistic.

Is this your first wipe as that people have always been geared up weeks after wipe?

22 hours ago, Lordnivek1 said:

I wish it would take me 3 days to get to 20 but it takes me months to get to even 15. I don't ever want to do a single quest, and I think that is the point you missed. I am still level 13 playing off and on, and usually don't play long as the I cant do anything with out questing.  I have millions and millions and millions of dollars but cant do anything with it lol

If you do what i suggested you could easily get to level 20 in days,I only place 2 hours or less some days.Also i find it hard to believe you have millions and millions of Dollars if you are only level 13 unless you traded your roubles? That also begs the question if you have as much money as you claim have you even used your pmc?Or just been farming money as a scav?

Just an FYI they also plan to add daily tasks soon enough which will also have you level faster.

Unfortunately for you quests are here to stay if you don't like questing your probably more suited to playing something like Cod or battlefield.

I actually enjoy doing the quests especially Jaegers and shooter born in heaven although i usually like to save sbih for later nothing feels more rewarding the 1 tapping a juicer and getting decent gear.

On 10/12/2021 at 3:17 AM, Mattd316 said:

You do realize the entire game revolves around quests right an most of the quest now are just place holders for the main story quests also you can gain a ton of xp farming raiders. Should take no more than 3 days to hit level 20. 

Please explain to us, what is the exact point of quests, especially after all this time? Have we not played through the same quests time and time again? Why do we still need to "test" them? Do we really to excessively and rigorously test a side quest progression when there will be main quests? After all, the game's focus shouldn't revolve around questing since there wont be any end game or at least it will be significantly limited by how quickly the developers can add new and interesting quests. The game needs to be more player-driven to allow for a more interesting end game.

Edited by retagaine
  • Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, retagaine said:

Please explain to us, what is the exact point of quests, especially after all this time? Have we not played through the same quests time and time again? 

Some people haven't played them at all. If you have done them a few times, maybe it's time to take a break from EFT and come back when there's some newer content for you to enjoy.

55 minutes ago, retagaine said:

Have we not played through the same quests time and time again? Why do we still need to "test" them? Do we really to excessively and rigorously test a side quest progression when there will be main quests?

Are you suggesting that BSG simply remove the quests? Just because you've done them already? Sounds counter productive to game development. I can't say I've ever seen major content removed from a beta and then re-added into the game on release.

59 minutes ago, retagaine said:

After all, the game's focus shouldn't revolve around questing since there wont be any end game or at least it will be significantly limited by how quickly the developers can add new and interesting quests. The game needs to be more player-driven to allow for a more interesting end game.

Quests are story related. Admittedly, there isn't much story in the game yet, but the quests and traders are one of the backbones of the game. BSG need to have those capabilities functioning. And the game IS player driven. You play the game, you do the quests, you kill the PMCs and scavs, and you get the XP. All games have goals, in EFT that includes the trader quests.

• Like 1
  • Cold 1

5 hours ago, TUALMASOK said:

Some people haven't played them at all. If you have done them a few times, maybe it's time to take a break from EFT and come back when there's some newer content for you to enjoy.

Are you suggesting that BSG simply remove the quests? Just because you've done them already? Sounds counter productive to game development. I can't say I've ever seen major content removed from a beta and then re-added into the game on release.

Quests are story related. Admittedly, there isn't much story in the game yet, but the quests and traders are one of the backbones of the game. BSG need to have those capabilities functioning. And the game IS player driven. You play the game, you do the quests, you kill the PMCs and scavs, and you get the XP. All games have goals, in EFT that includes the trader quests.

Muchas Gracias you just saved me time explaining the above to that pleb!

I actually like the quests. Most of them. But I hate those quests demanding absurd things like „break an arm to get tunnel vision and kill 2 pmc with headshot“. This is bullshit and non immersive to me. They should be optional. But u need all of em, to proceed in trader rank…

Sometimes I switch to a server with low population, to get quests done, as I‘m playing all alone. Quests like  „Delivery from the past“ can be frustrating, getting killed in factory and forced to repeat from customs all over again. 

But the quest-system itself is sth. that makes tarkov so special. It wouldn’t be that much fun if there weren‘t quests making you proceed ingame, at all. 

Edited by Ando79
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, retagaine said:

The game needs to be more player-driven to allow for a more interesting end game.

And how would you go about doing that?

BTW, no. Most players have NOT finished every quest several times over. Not everyone has the 8-9 hours of game time a day it takes to do that.

Has anyone just mentioned about ignoring them and using the flea market to buy the items? Pretty sure the only thing locked behind quests is items?

• Like 2

The real question is : When is the next wipe? So i can stop playing right now and not waste my time leveling up from 8 😂

I don't understand this. Isn't every game basically built on some quest for something or a story-line of quests?

Are you saying you just want pure open world; no story; no side-quests?

On 10/12/2021 at 4:28 AM, Lordnivek1 said:

Yes, handing in Tags could get XP, but I think it might be better to swap for loyalty.

On 10/12/2021 at 4:28 AM, Lordnivek1 said:

With the advent of dynamic traders I think the items they wish to sell and are low on stock would be perfect examples of goods sold back to the vendor with a loyalty boost bonus.

1 hour ago, Tokomi said:

I don't understand this. Isn't every game basically built on some quest for something or a story-line of quests?

What he wants is to have everything unlocked right from the start. Think Tarkov where everyone starts with maxed out hideout and traders.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2021 at 9:46 PM, TUALMASOK said:

Are you suggesting that BSG simply remove the quests? 

Oh that wasn't my point, I think I might have failed to explain it so allow me to re-phrase it. From the perspective of the game developer, what is the point of editing and balancing the quests? These quests are considered to be "side quests", why are we balancing progression when we still have to achieve main quests? I guess the point I'm trying to make is that there are hundreds of other features, fixes, and changes that have to be made still and quests should be at the bottom of that currently.

What am I suggesting..? Perhaps to not use labor to work on the same mechanic over and over again. I am asking what is the point of the current development for the game? Can you truly say side quests are central to the game when the current state of your game goes through a wipe every so often? I think people want to see tangible gameplay changes.

I don't actually do quests at all so I don't understand why you think your suggestion to stop playing was a great one. I am questioning why development time is being used on such an arbitrary game mechanic.

Edited by retagaine

On 10/15/2021 at 6:36 AM, Fly_Guy8791 said:

And how would you go about doing that?

BTW, no. Most players have NOT finished every quest several times over. Not everyone has the 8-9 hours of game time a day it takes to do that.

I think your last statement sort of explains what I am trying to explain. Why are devs still making changes to quests when people don't care enough to finish all the quests in the first place?

To answer your question the dev team's goal should be aligned with making Tarkov less of a curated experience. The addition of the flea market was a simply only a step in the right direction but they quickly reversed that due to RMT issues. That's not to say the flea market was the sole contributor to cheating, I think that can be proven otherwise. The overall architecture of how the game progresses encourages people to pay for cheats. I think this is why flea market simply exacerbated the issue of RMT upon its initial release. Open-world, dynamic loot, dynamic spawns, and "always-on" servers can help with that. I actually agree with direction that Tarkov should be a "hardcore" game but only due to the perspective that making things like movement and shooting more hardcore would reduce the ability for cheaters to cheat from a mechanical perspective.

From a purely cost perspective, buying standard edition and a $5-10 cheat to progress to the same perks (if not better) as an EOD player is a much more cost effective method for the casual player.

On 10/16/2021 at 5:32 AM, Tokomi said:

Is DayZ built on a storyline? I don't think so, many games aren't. DayZ is probably the closest cousin to Tarkov. Now I am not saying Tarkov is at all like DayZ, but the hardcore idea is shared between the two.

The game could pretty much end up without a story line since the gameplay mechanics are the main appeal. I am willing to bet most people couldn't give a rat's ass about the current story and quests. So long as people have reasonable accessibility to all of the game's features, I don't think people will complain about it.

Edited by retagaine

On 10/11/2021 at 9:28 PM, Lordnivek1 said:

Because the dev believes that this is primarily a story driven game where we are trying to escape tarkov. Looting, fighting, and raids are merely diversions from the main story which is what drew all these players to the game. *gag*

They got the best shooter game out there and they want it to be an RPG.

7 hours ago, retagaine said:

I think your last statement sort of explains what I am trying to explain. Why are devs still making changes to quests when people don't care enough to finish all the quests in the first place?

To answer your question the dev team's goal should be aligned with making Tarkov less of a curated experience. The addition of the flea market was a simply only a step in the right direction but they quickly reversed that due to RMT issues. That's not to say the flea market was the sole contributor to cheating, I think that can be proven otherwise. The overall architecture of how the game progresses encourages people to pay for cheats. I think this is why flea market simply exacerbated the issue of RMT upon its initial release. Open-world, dynamic loot, dynamic spawns, and "always-on" servers can help with that. I actually agree with direction that Tarkov should be a "hardcore" game but only due to the perspective that making things like movement and shooting more hardcore would reduce the ability for cheaters to cheat from a mechanical perspective.

From a purely cost perspective, buying standard edition and a $5-10 cheat to progress to the same perks (if not better) as an EOD player is a much more cost effective method for the casual player.

Is DayZ built on a storyline? I don't think so, many games aren't. DayZ is probably the closest cousin to Tarkov. Now I am not saying Tarkov is at all like DayZ, but the hardcore idea is shared between the two.

The game could pretty much end up without a story line since the gameplay mechanics are the main appeal. I am willing to bet most people couldn't give a rat's ass about the current story and quests. So long as people have reasonable accessibility to all of the game's features, I don't think people will complain about it.

I actually Enjoy the story and the quests very very much

10 hours ago, retagaine said:

Open-world, dynamic loot, dynamic spawns, and "always-on" servers can help with that. I actually agree with direction that Tarkov should be a "hardcore" game but only due to the perspective that making things like movement and shooting more hardcore would reduce the ability for cheaters to cheat from a mechanical perspective.

1. I understand why BSG went to "dynamic loot". But I despise the concept. I really REALLY hate the idea that I have NEVER found a GPU inside a computer case, but have found one in a gym bag sitting on a chair outside interchange... That is what ruins my "storytelling". I don't care how the devs justify it. I want the stuff I find to make sense that it's there. Let the hidden caches be the "wild card" loot spawns.

2. Open world? No thanks. I don't want to spawn in with a raid already in session. Why would I want to risk my gear to run around a map that's already been picked clean? (And is likely full of people ready to ambush) That is a lose-lose senario. It's bad enough that I have to scav into picked over maps. The only thing making scav runs worthwhile is that I'm not risking anything and I can at the very least sell the scav loadout.

3. I believe that rep for traders should come from buying and selling to that trader. And what it mean is that, it should ONLY come from buying and selling to that trader. The task/quest should just give XP and rewards like items and cash. This would let the no-lifers chase the Kappa container, and the people who don't like quest would still eventually get level 4 traders. And it would logically make sense. You over time show that you are a reliable and consistent "customer" so the traders start offering up their better stock.

• Like 1

I don't like the grind. That's all that questing is. Quests should be optional not the major part of the game to gain XP and level up. Many quests are nearly impossible if you play solo. I could do without them. 

14 hours ago, Fly_Guy8791 said:

1. I understand why BSG went to "dynamic loot". But I despise the concept. I really REALLY hate the idea that I have NEVER found a GPU inside a computer case, but have found one in a gym bag sitting on a chair outside interchange... That is what ruins my "storytelling". I don't care how the devs justify it. I want the stuff I find to make sense that it's there. Let the hidden caches be the "wild card" loot spawns.

2. Open world? No thanks. I don't want to spawn in with a raid already in session. Why would I want to risk my gear to run around a map that's already been picked clean? (And is likely full of people ready to ambush) That is a lose-lose senario. It's bad enough that I have to scav into picked over maps. The only thing making scav runs worthwhile is that I'm not risking anything and I can at the very least sell the scav loadout.

3. I believe that rep for traders should come from buying and selling to that trader. And what it mean is that, it should ONLY come from buying and selling to that trader. The task/quest should just give XP and rewards like items and cash. This would let the no-lifers chase the Kappa container, and the people who don't like quest would still eventually get level 4 traders. And it would logically make sense. You over time show that you are a reliable and consistent "customer" so the traders start offering up their better stock.

Well and we have to understand "dynamic loot" in terms of what BSG has released recently is not very dynamic. Confusingly so, when I mentioned dynamic loot, I meant loot reasonably spawning in random areas which would make the game much more interesting and realistic plus less camping friendly. But loot being able to spawn in reasonable locations is also limited to the size of the map, too.

As for your second point, it would be possible to re-do loot spawning so that it repopulates the map with loot at a reasonable pace on an always on server. I do agree though there are so many issues with the game that open world is not really a possibility anywhere in the near future. To even be able to make any progress on open-world, BSG would have to significantly optimize the game so that it would be possible to make even larger and larger maps with more points of interest without losing all of your FPS and loading time.

As for your point with rep for traders, I agree. Personally, I think the "trader level" system is completely dumb and over emphasized aspect in the current version of the game. As a result, it offers too much of an advantage to higher level players from an economic perspective. It actually removes most of the reasons to use crappier ammo types and budget weapons, huge balance issue with this regard.

I think the game's would be more successful in holding people's interest if it had more a sustainable approach to thinking about and designing the player's experience from beginning to end, rather than just balancing the current unfinished beta content around an incomplete player experience.

Edited by retagaine

Am 15.10.2021 um 20:24 schrieb tidepodrod:

The real question is : When is the next wipe? So i can stop playing right now and not waste my time leveling up from 8 😂

hahaha, today you have reach level 10, perhaps. I am 12, in my last wipe 54.  But my scav is high level.