85 hours in, still can't shoot a gun

mrtaufner

Got to LVL 15 about 10 hours ago, but I do not feel I've improved? Everytime I get into a gunfight with players I get one tapped more often than not and buying good ammo is way too expensive. Scavving wait times are way too long, even though I have Intelligence Center now.

I still like the game though but thinking that I'm close to losing all my money in the next few hours (have to kill 5 more PMC in Factory office area) really makes me nervous everytime I get into a raid. 

I'm still a noob, so I'll appreciate any tips I can get. This post was just to vent out

image_2022-02-10_004657.png

• Like 1

Change your tactics. If you aren't any good taking on PMCs yet you need to dial things back and focus on scavs, then raiders, then bosses and their guards. Once you can take those guys down no worries then you focus on PMCs. Tarkov isn't a race to complete the tasks, it's a battlefield where you need to learn to fight, or you won't progress very far.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

15 minutes ago, TUALMASOK said:

Change your tactics. If you aren't any good taking on PMCs yet you need to dial things back and focus on scavs, then raiders, then bosses and their guards. Once you can take those guys down no worries then you focus on PMCs. Tarkov isn't a race to complete the tasks, it's a battlefield where you need to learn to fight, or you won't progress very far.

Yes but what to do when I am forced into PvP. Especially in Factory, where there are PMCs every corner

3 minutes ago, MylesE said:

@mrtaufner

Have you tried practicing in Offline mode against scavs? No wait times and no worry about losing kit. 

Yes, I did that a lot and still do If I get a gun I haven't tried before but scavs aren't really the issue. I mean, sometimes they get me off-guard but that can happen to anyone in this game since scavs sometimes aimbot/wallhack

I just played a PMC run and exfilled from Factory with 6 scav kills. Didn't see a single PMC though. 

Well other than offline mode,  my biggest piece of advice is to try and choose your engagements.   If they haven't seen you yet, stop and observe. Make sure you're 100% certain you have the drop on them before shooting. Oh, and always have an "exit plan"! 

Keep practicing and it'll come. More raids the better and don't get discouraged. 

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

49 minutes ago, mrtaufner said:

Got to LVL 15 about 10 hours ago, but I do not feel I've improved? Everytime I get into a gunfight with players I get one tapped more often than not and buying good ammo is way too expensive. Scavving wait times are way too long, even though I have Intelligence Center now.

I still like the game though but thinking that I'm close to losing all my money in the next few hours (have to kill 5 more PMC in Factory office area) really makes me nervous everytime I get into a raid. 

I'm still a noob, so I'll appreciate any tips I can get. This post was just to vent out

If you want to improve your aim, go into offline raids and play with the difficulty, adjust until you get into the hardest. Also, right shoulder peek is always advantage. I always position to where I can only do right peek in my encounters. You can search related videos about this, why right peeking is very important...

Learn cheap effective gun builds. Ak builds are cheaper, also the meta UMP build. Ammo is very important, I'd say at this point of wipe you have to at least have a BP for 5.45x39mm. Check the barter for BP, BS GS, BT on Prapor. Some needs quest completion in order to unlock specific ammo. You can also check cheap shotgun builds and do the leg meta. Btw, when modifying guns, higher ergonomics will give you the ability to ADS faster. On my experience I'd say around 41 ergo and above would be a good work around but will also depend on what armor your using and how you manage weight. You will soon notice this aspect of the game as you level more specially the skills.

Play your main (PMC), prioritize leveling endurance skill, can level this is skill by walking or running not having the overweight buff. Strength, you level this by walking or running having the overweight buff. Metabolism, simply by feeding your PMC, before going into raid always check the food and water bar of your PMC. This also levels up while you feed you PMC in raid. At elite endurance, you will run further and can get to loots faster, elite strength, armor, helmet and weapon slots will be weightless, only the bag slot, rigs and safe container will add up as your initial weight (this here is OP). With elite strength you run faster as well. Metabolism, you can't die even if your food bar and water level goes to 0. You can achieved elite faster on these skills if you build up your hideout for the added bonus exp buff. 

Just play the game, you will overcome gear fear soon, it takes time. Familiarized at least one map you can be comfortable with. When I first played this game, I mainly played custom map, learned the hidden stashes by simply watching guides. It's really a hardcore fps game. Learn one at a time... 

Edited by bushido_hara_
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, bushido_hara_ said:

Play your main (PMC), prioritize leveling endurance skill, can level this is skill by walking or running not having the overweight buff. Strength, you level this by walking or running having the overweight buff. Metabolism, simply by feeding your PMC, before going into raid always check the food and water bar of your PMC. This also levels up while you feed you PMC in raid. At elite endurance, you will run further and can get to loots faster, elite strength, armor, helmet and weapon slots will be weightless, only the bag slot, rigs and safe container will add up as your initial weight (this here is OP)

Pretty useful knowledge right here. To be honest I've been so focused trying to get to level 15 I don't even know what my stats are rn.

Just now, mrtaufner said:

Pretty useful knowledge right here. To be honest I've been so focused trying to get to level 15 I don't even know what my stats are rn.

Build up your hideout, at least get to the point where you build the air filtering unit. It will give you 40% physical related exp buff, this covers endurance, strength, metabolism and others... You can check your progress on the character skills tab.

With me having this elite skills on my PMC, I'm just running like a mad man haha. Almost weightless I can hear them better and faster also given that I'm leveling up my perception and of course having a headset (I prefer sordins). I almost win any encounters while I'm running because I can hear them faster because of the loud noise they are making when they are overweight, most of the time players are overweight because they don't prioritize this specific skill. When your fast, it's also hard for enemy players to aim at you and get that 2 taps on thorax or headshot. Once, they shoot they will pretty much give their location, not if they are with meta guns(silenced). 

Also, get a good costume set once you hit more levels. Services on Ragman. They are pretty much expensive but you will soon tons of money once you get used to it. This will give the impression to other players that you're a high level and sometimes will not shoot at you because they know what your bringing, its like a intimidation Tactic haha. 

Well, good luck on your raids and have fun! Cheers!  

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, bushido_hara_ said:

Build up your hideout, at least get to the point where you build the air filtering unit. It will give you 40% physical related exp buff, this covers endurance, strength, metabolism and others... You can check your progress on the character skills tab.

Yes, building the hideout and unlocking flea market have been my main focus. RN I'm stuck because I have to get to level 17 to continue building my hideout. Not too far away but I have a couple of things ready to upgrade already.

But 75 hours to unlock the flea market felt a bit of a grind more than anything else. I had fun but it also feels very limiting. This was one of the aspects I didn't like at all. I've been playing with a friend and he just keeps saying that next wipe I'll do it faster, and while true, I don't really understand why it is like that.

Some of these limitations and the amounts needed to trade stuff with traders early on feel just like artificial difficulty to me, in order to avoid people unlocking everything or getting good gear too early on in a new wipe. I just don't get it. People that have more time to play will have better gear and/or unlock things faster. That is a fact and I've come to terms with that in most games. Why limit it then? 

Edited by mrtaufner

10 hours ago, mrtaufner said:

use this to help you learn all the maps www.gamemaps.co.uk will also has filters for spawns,stashes detailed maps of resort etc and has a handy tool to keep track of hideout and quest items.

Also as the below have said make sure to right side peak only if you can't right side peak if your unsure if somebody is there use grenades to get them to move. Don't ever be afraid to run away and reposition so you can get a better angle.

Also play offline mode and use a lazer and learn to point fire/hip fire in close quarters fights this will save you time on ads in cqc.

watch tutorials on youtube from Tigz or Rengawr they have awesome pvp guest and are both very helpfull high level players.

And also look up the ammo charts for 12.12 if your on a budget P.S Ammo is probably one of the best for the money for m4 you can craft m856a1 which is decent and not to expensive.

• Thanks 1

75 hours? My estimate for me being comfortable with PvP based on my progress so far is way more than that.

I'm at 15 hours "in raid" time and have 3 PMC kills so far. Mainly Scaving to learn the maps and to have some feeling of progress with building the hideout.

This game is a grind, accept that and carry on. 

Most good streamers hav 1000 hours in game or more. Don't let comparison to them deterr your progress...

14 minutes ago, CrtxDistortion said:

75 hours? My estimate for me being comfortable with PvP based on my progress so far is way more than that.

I'm at 15 hours "in raid" time and have 3 PMC kills so far. Mainly Scaving to learn the maps and to have some feeling of progress with building the hideout.

This game is a grind, accept that and carry on. 

Most good streamers hav 1000 hours in game or more. Don't let comparison to them deterr your progress...

i would make that closer to 8 to 10000 hours i have nearly 6k myself and i don't stream lol

33 minutes ago, CrtxDistortion said:

I don't watch Tarkov streamers, and I don't try to compare their progression to mine. Their availability to play the game is complete and I only have 3-4 hours per day at best.

1 hour ago, Mattd316 said:

use this to help you learn all the maps www.gamemaps.co.uk will also has filters for spawns,stashes detailed maps of resort etc and has a handy tool to keep track of hideout and quest items.

Yes, map and spawn knowledge is king in this game. I always play with a map on my second monitor, but even that is a chore because you don't have the compass right away and I remember dying more times than I want to admit during my first hours because I was trying to figure out where I was (specially in Woods, but now I'd say it's one of my preferred maps). I kinda know all the maps except for Shoreline, Labs and Lighthouse. I should be trying to learn Reserve tunnels now, since I have a task there.

I usually play with a friend and another guy he's friends with. Both of them keep telling me the best way to figure out PVP is to have lots of PVP but idk, I feel like it's pointless

1 hour ago, Mattd316 said:

for m4 you can craft m856a1 which is decent and not to expensive.

I haven't seen a M4 since I lost the last one I had in a raid, many hours ago 😅

it seems that I can only rely on AK platforms for now, since those are the only guns I can reliably get scavving. 

47 minutes ago, Mattd316 said:

i would make that closer to 8 to 10000 hours i have nearly 6k myself and i don't stream lol

I'd say that the level of comfort is dependent on your personality. Everyone would feel some stress going into a fight and after enough encounters those levels go down.

6k Ok, how many of those are "in raid"? Or rather how many "In raid since last wipe"?
"Average raid time" times "Number of raids" on your stat page - Asking out of curiosity.

I have about 280 hours on line, but that's not playing.

42 minutes ago, mrtaufner said:

I don't watch Tarkov streamers, and I don't try to compare their progression to mine. Their availability to play the game is complete and I only have 3-4 hours per day at best.

Yes, map and spawn knowledge is king in this game. I always play with a map on my second monitor, but even that is a chore because you don't have the compass right away and I remember dying more times than I want to admit during my first hours because I was trying to figure out where I was (specially in Woods, but now I'd say it's one of my preferred maps). I kinda know all the maps except for Shoreline, Labs and Lighthouse. I should be trying to learn Reserve tunnels now, since I have a task there.

I usually play with a friend and another guy he's friends with. Both of them keep telling me the best way to figure out PVP is to have lots of PVP but idk, I feel like it's pointless

You should, a lot of map and mission knowledge is available through them.
I have run 45 raids since last wipe (60 days) - For comparison, nothing else.

I'm starting to get comfortable around Customs. I don't get lost on Woods. Factory and insides of Interchange I have started nibbling on. Shoreline and Lighthouse maps have never even set my foot there...

Is PvP what you want to do?

What I'm trying to convey is that your approach to the game dictates your experience. Going full PvP isn't feasible until you know the game and maps, a steep learning curve to say the least.

An M4A1 is available for barter by Prapov at Lvl 1, 3 CPUs and 3CPU fans.
An AKs isn't bad, but it seem to me you should get a Mosin or an UMP (or both) and focus on long or short range fights.

26 minutes ago, CrtxDistortion said:

An M4A1 is available for barter by Prapov at Lvl 1, 3 CPUs and 3CPU fans.

Ah yes I see, but I've only found 2 CPUs so far. Plenty of CPU fans though. I guess I could get everything I need from the FM now but that's only been true for the last 10 hours. Regardless, I don't like the trades in this game at all.

32 minutes ago, CrtxDistortion said:

An AKs isn't bad, but it seem to me you should get a Mosin or an UMP (or both) and focus on long or short range fights.

AKs and SKS are my best bet so far, since scavs drop them pretty often.

I've seen the UMP/MP5 trades too, but getting 7-8 knives can take you anywhere between 1 to 3 (sometimes more) raids. You can't rely on those trades to have a "good" weapon, especially when your stash is almost more than 50% full all of the time.

I like the Mosin but SKS rate of fire is just better, for me at least. 

I've also grown to like pistol start raids on woods as a PMC, killing scavs and try to get their stuff. This tension is kinda bittersweet, one could say. It feels so good to pull it off but when you don't get it right or they kill you trying to get a hold on the stuff, that's another story.

Overall I like how the game offsets low risk/low value loot  with high risk/better value loot. But scavving means you're not really progressing, except sometimes you can find keys or "ingredients" for recipes (trades, hideout upgrades). I'd rather play the duck out of my PMC, because he's the one with the main stats I need to level up, but I can't really do that forever.

If it's any consolation, I have roughly 3000 hours in EFT, give or take. And I still have lots of issues with PvP.

Because my reflexes and reactions are slower than many of my foes, I've had to adapt my tactics. I try to avoid contacts unless I explicitly have the upper hand.

If I'm fired upon from somewhere unseen, I tend to back out of the fight. If I hear noises, I try to pick a spot where I see them, but they can't see me, sometimes I keep out of sight just to get as much information on them as possible without revealing my location.

And I never sprint, unless I'm moving in open terrain (as seldom as possible) or am in the middle of combat and repositioning.

Furthermore, rely less on what type of gun you have than what type of ammunition you're firing. I'll rather pick a semi-auto with really expensive ammunition rather than spray & pray with cheap stuff. As I said, I will take longer time to aim, and when I fire, I prefer only having to fire a few times, than expending a whole magazine (that is popular with some players).

• Thanks 1

Hi,

I have almost the same play hours as you and turned level 17 this evening.  I have 49 PMC’s kills so far with 4,5 k/d. 

I started playing 15 days ago and learned the hard way when i lost all my gear in factory.That was the first map i was playing. I came from warzone  and Destiny 2 and thought i could run and gun in this game aswell and man i was wrong.Tarkov is different!

Its just until recently i started to get the feel for the game and i am playing as some people already wrote above,i listen alot! And when i know that another PMC is close i try to see his movement and get the upper hand before i make my move.Im always walking and sometimes prone for a while just to listen to get a clue about the surroundings.

I mainly play on customs.

My tips:

1. Get familiar with a map you like and play that for the most of the time.

2. Have a map in front of you if you have 2 monitors and learn were other PMC’s spawn, that helps alot.

3. Invest in good ammo and take it easy with the trigger if they are far away. BP / BT ammo with AK74 is my go to.

4.  Listen to your surroundings and take it easy. Walk alot and prone sometimes, dont make to much noise. Run when you are vulnerable in open areas. 

5. Leave scavs alone if you dont need to kill them. That help you understand if another PMC is around the corner if the scav starts shooting at him.

6.Change position after you have pulled the trigger and shown your location to the enemy. Try to outplay!

7. Trust yourself and trust your aim.

8. Have fun, you die sometimes and you kill sometimes.

Always bring meds and some food with you. 

Thats just my two cents :) 

• Upvote 1

I think much of the advice here is from players who have long forgotten what it's like to suck at this game. Oh, just use BT and M856A1, they say... Yeah buddy, I'm only now starting to get to the point where I can usually run decent ammo. At lvl28. There's a small PP joke to be made here but I'll leave it as an exercise to the reader.

Just forget the PMC killing tasks for a while and spend the time trying to figure out what your strengths and weaknesses are and how to utilize/deal with them. Figure out what kind of weapons and tactics work for you while not really taking huge chances by doing PvP every raid. I fight players in less than half of my raids, I think, and that's despite me having multiple ongoing tasks that require killing them. That's just something that I have to work with when my KDR against other players is probably below 0.5.

To give you an example, I've got absolutely stunningly poor aim and worse recoil control except under very controlled circumstances. I'm also patient to a fault, I regularly wait almost a whole raid without moving just to play it safe. After lots and lots of experimentation, more than 1000h of it, where I am at this point is that if I'm looking for PvP, I should go in with a suppressed AK-74 with magnified optics, hide, pick fights from a distance, avoid fighting groups, give the enemy a death by a thousand cuts if I fail the first headshot attempt and be ready to get the hell out of there should the conditions become anything less than ideal. CQB is a no-no regardless of how much of an advantage I might appear to have unless I have no choice, in which case I use surprise as much as possible, aim high, click fast and hope for a lucky headshot.

I'm not saying this will definitely work for you, I'm saying it may well take 1k hours for you to figure out what does, and until you've found it, you really don't need to rush to complete the PvP tasks.

Oh, and if you're wondering how I ever completed the Factory office kills tasks when my preferred fighting style obviously just doesn't work there, for the first two I was also doing the close range bolt action kills task and just sat on top of some filing cabinets in the office and shot at anyone who entered. Spent probably ten rifles for two kills, I didn't even bother with spare mags because I knew I'd never get that far. For the other four, I went in decently geared for the Chemical Part 3 task and just happened to run into some kids who had very little gear, and still died to one of them because I forgot to bring any armor to go with my fancy helmet and took a chestful of Magnum buckshot. When I encountered geared enemies, I died very quickly. You'll note that I didn't intend to fight anyone, I just wanted to get an item and extract. I completed the task almost completely by chance. And I was lvl27 as I did all that so don't you worry about not being able to do it sub-20.

Edited by Wurfy
  • Thanks 1