Jump to content

I'm having performance Issues after patch/wipe (not AMD)


DGeorge85
 Share

Recommended Posts

With all the talk about issues on AMD GPU's, is anyone with Nvidia having some new extreme stuttering today after the update?

Keep in mind nothing has changed on my end aside from the update which includes the temporary removal of the mip streaming setting, which I always had ticked and never tested with it off, but I have a hard time thinking this would be the difference between consistent smooth fps and now bouts of unplayable stutter fits on an 8GB 2060 super @1080p with medium/lowish settings. If 8GB of vRAM isn't enough for 1080p without mip streaming (assuming this setting is mainly to conserve vRAM usage) then I'd imagine there's a fairly large group of people watching an intermittent slideshow today.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Yeah, I had even recently upgraded my CPU to a 12700k so I was expecting buttery smoothness. It was the worst stuttering I've ever experienced in tarkov, absolutely unplayable and I died a couple times cause of it. It would always freeze up as I saw someone n fired my weapon.

I've fixed it now though. I found a thread from a few months ago and the fix was to enable all cores on cpu and to move your pagefile off your HDD and onto your SSD. not sure which fixed it or if both helped, but its perfect now, haven't stuttered since.

I'll try and find the thread for the instructions. just in a load screen atm.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

wow at 8 minute matching time for scav on reserve.. ouch. Guess it gives me time. Here's the thread:

and Ill copy paste the things I did here:

Pagefile fix (courtesy of Garyasparagus): 

Quote

 

The fix for this problem was that windows was paging virtual ram to an old hdd harddrive. to make sure that this is the problem all you have to do is bring up task manager, go to perfomance tab and then look at the hardrive usage. if a harddrive that you are not using anything from has any disk write % then this is your problem. all you have to do is switch the harddrive used for virtual memory. 
 

to do this you just have to go to Controlpannel> System and security> system> advanced systemsettings, then click on the advanced tab, then clock settings on the performance bracket, then advanced tab again, click change and then switch the harddrive to your ssd or fastest harddrive.
if you still have this issue then you might wanna get an ssd

 

 

Enable all CPU cores fix (courtesy of Gigawizard):

Quote

One solution that worked for my friend's stutters and periodic random lag spike.

TLDR: Making sure you're running all your cpu cores.
Push Windows key or click start button.
Type "msconfig" which is the System Configuration, click it / press enter
Goto "Boot" tab at the top
Click on "Advanced Options"
Tick number of processes.
The click the drop down and select the biggest amount you can (this is based on physical cores)
Click ok, then click apply.
Restart the PC when prompted.

You should now be running all your cpu cores, Congrats.
This can help with more than just tarkov stutters.

 

 

EDIT: I also cleared my cache in the launcher.

Edited by KjKase
Link to comment
Share on other sites

25 minutes ago, KjKase said:

Yeah, I had even recently upgraded my CPU to a 12700k so I was expecting buttery smoothness. It was the worst stuttering I've ever experienced in tarkov, absolutely unplayable and I died a couple times cause of it. It would always freeze up as I saw someone n fired my weapon.

I've fixed it now though. I found a thread from a few months ago and the fix was to enable all cores on cpu and to move your pagefile off your HDD and onto your SSD. not sure which fixed it or if both helped, but its perfect now, haven't stuttered since.

I'll try and find the thread for the instructions. just in a load screen atm.

Thanks KjKase. I actually do have my pagefile on an HDD, one that isn't used for anything else. The game is on a SSD. My logic was to devote a drive I wasn't using just for my pagefile instead of having it on my SSD which would have to split between tarkov itself and any paging, but I suppose the SSD has enough speed to spare that I give it a shot. Windows is on yet another older small SSD that is basically dedicated to that and some core applications.

I'll give it a whirl, can't hurt to try, as it does seem to get worse over time (maybe as more paging is happening?)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 минуту назад, KjKase сказал:

wow at 8 minute matching time for scav on reserve.. ouch. Guess it gives me time. Here's the thread:

and Ill copy paste the things I did here:

Pagefile fix (courtesy of Garyasparagus): 

 

Enable all CPU cores fix (courtesy of Gigawizard):

 

 

EDIT: I also cleared my cache in the launcher.

thanks m8, i'll try this and if it works i'll let you know

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DGeorge85 said:

Thanks KjKase. I actually do have my pagefile on an HDD, one that isn't used for anything else. The game is on a SSD. My logic was to devote a drive I wasn't using just for my pagefile instead of having it on my SSD which would have to split between tarkov itself and any paging, but I suppose the SSD has enough speed to spare that I give it a shot. Windows is on yet another older small SSD that is basically dedicated to that and some core applications.

I'll give it a whirl, can't hurt to try, as it does seem to get worse over time (maybe as more paging is happening?)

Hopefully it works for you. I'm not sure if it was just changing pagefile that did it for me though, as I have 16gb of RAM so I don't think it should even be using much pagefile. 

Also, some people warn against using SSD for pagefile due to constant rewriting on it wearing out your SSD. But modern day SSDs don't wear out nearly as fast as they used to, so I don't think you have to worry about that.

Edited by KjKase
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Looks like it's not the pagefile. I'm just going to put the game on the back burner until some patches roll out. I can't turn the corner on someone and open up without extreme stutter, and I can't be arsed to dig around all day for nothing on what is a very streamlined system that ran tarkov completely fine up until today. It's an older rig but runs 100-ish FPS with the GPU working 65% or so at a cool 60 degrees C* on woods just now when it's not a slideshow. In the past I've even shifted the bottleneck to the GPU (100%) with 2x supersampling, which is effectively rendering in 4K to my understanding, and while it ran about 30% less FPS it was still smooth.

Interesting enough, Afterburner is showing pretty much all 8GB of VRAM are in use while in raid, though I'm not sure that means tarkov has actually loaded that much and needs more or just that it's allocated that much. I'd be surprised if VRAM is actually being taxed that hard since I've ran 2x supersampling before with 0 issue. That, and I can't believe 8GB wouldn't be enough in any case at 1080p and low settings.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Usually games allocate as much as they can just incase. Did you try the cpu core fix? idk what your CPU is, but mine used to be a 6600k and it just wasn't fast enough for Tarkov.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
53 minutes ago, KjKase said:

Usually games allocate as much as they can just incase. Did you try the cpu core fix? idk what your CPU is, but mine used to be a 6600k and it just wasn't fast enough for Tarkov.

Older 4790K @ 4.6 which would be faster than any 6-series that isn't overclocked to atleast the same, and actually holds it's own against anything intel put out up until the last couple years in terms of gaming performance. It's good enough for 100+ FPS on woods when the game isn't taking a crap on me intermittently which only began to occur today after the update. Windows is and always has correctly identified and used all cores for me in the past by default, so nothing wrong there.

Interestingly enough, I loaded an offline raid on woods with all AI for giggles. Low graphic settings for a CPU bottleneck, no stutter. I then cranked up view distance, LOD, and 2x supersampling for a GPU bottleneck...no stutter. It's safe to say it's not a VRAM issue, and the pure frame rate offline, or even online in raid when it's not stuttering would indicate the CPU was and should still be fine, barring any major changes they made to the games optimization that I think we would know about (aside from mip streaming being unavailable). The pagefile was a culprit in my mind if I were out of RAM and tarkov was paging a lot for some reason since the update, but I typically have 5-6GB of free physical memory with tarkov running.

I can't seem to find any evidence that my problem is anything but today's update, and I'm not surprised because the only other change for me since yesterday is a shutdown/boot, so I'm going to chalk this one up to a head scratch and hope for an incoming patch that improves my situation.

Thank you for the suggestions, it was worth a shot.

Edited by DGeorge85
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I have really bad stuttering with DLSS on, it seems like you get one big stutter at the beginning like the game is loading the map to point xy and when you reach this point you getting another big stuttering.

 

With DLSS off its only at the beginning of the round.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

vor 1 Stunde schrieb KjKase:

Usually games allocate as much as they can just incase. Did you try the cpu core fix? idk what your CPU is, but mine used to be a 6600k and it just wasn't fast enough for Tarkov.

6600k is definately more than fast enough for tarkov!!! There must be sth else wrong there.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

50 minutes ago, Noname_Nobody said:

6600k is definately more than fast enough for tarkov!!! There must be sth else wrong there.

No it clearly wasn't. Tarkov is a CPU heavy game, once I upgraded my CPU, my frame rate doubled and it ran much smoother.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I changed the pagefile, increased it to 25GB on a fast HDD, set the number of processors in Msconfig - it's useless, although there were hopes.

Stutters, freezes still appear very often, I would say continuously, and this is noticeable on the Woods map. Literally, the GPU load in the MSI Afterburner jumps from 60 to 90, and drops sharply to ZERO. This is not normal, it was not like this before the patch, and the GPU load graph was more stable. The same with the processor, the CPU load graph was also more stable! :_)

Perhaps we can only wait...

unknown.png.1d09f4eae89fd3e20b6fff1e4be9eb0d.png

P.S. №1 and №4 - this is the load.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

10 hours ago, glebkog3313 said:

I changed the pagefile, increased it to 25GB on a fast HDD, set the number of processors in Msconfig - it's useless, although there were hopes.

Stutters, freezes still appear very often, I would say continuously, and this is noticeable on the Woods map. Literally, the GPU load in the MSI Afterburner jumps from 60 to 90, and drops sharply to ZERO. This is not normal, it was not like this before the patch, and the GPU load graph was more stable. The same with the processor, the CPU load graph was also more stable! :_)

Perhaps we can only wait...

unknown.png.1d09f4eae89fd3e20b6fff1e4be9eb0d.png

P.S. №1 and №4 - this is the load.

Your usage% (load) graph looks a lot like mine. Before the wipe, did you have "mip streaming" enabled in the game's graphic settings?

The only thing I can come up with is that for some systems, even some with enough VRAM, mip streaming is pretty much required to avoid unplayable stutters. I think we are out of luck for a bit, as I think the update will likely require the servers to be taken down and they are fine with the game being unplayable for some while the rest without problems enjoy the wipe without interruption. I feel your pain, nearly every single death of mine has been a close range battle on woods where I have no chance of winning with constant freezes/stutters.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think i found a fix for the stutters that started happening this patch.

Go to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Battlestate Games\Escape from
Tarkov\Settings\Graphics.ini and change mip streaming to FALSE. You might need to set it to read-only.

I think they messed something that is making the game force high texture
quality when Mip Streaming is on, changing it to false my game is butter smooth now running reserve when before my game would freeze and gpu usage drop to 0% constantly.

 

i5 8600k

GTX 1060 3GB

16GB DDR4 2666mhz

SSD 240gb

  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

vor 28 Minuten schrieb MakuraYB:

I think i found a fix for the stutters that started happening this patch.

Go to C:\Users\%USERNAME%\AppData\Roaming\Battlestate Games\Escape from
Tarkov\Settings\Graphics.ini and change mip streaming to FALSE. You might need to set it to read-only.

I think they messed something that is making the game force high texture
quality when Mip Streaming is on, changing it to false my game is butter smooth now running reserve when before my game would freeze and gpu usage drop to 0% constantly.

 

i5 8600k

GTX 1060 3GB

16GB DDR4 2666mhz

SSD 240gb

I thought the same thing, that Mip is still activated and causes the problems. Thx will try it out.

Edit: Sadly not the case for me, it's already set to false.

Edit2:

Nvidia Rtx 3070 8GB

i5-11600K @ 3.90GH 

32GB DDR4 Ram 1800MHz

2GB NVME Samsung SSD

I get constantly 10-30fps on every map, no more than 30.

Before it was 70-100fps on every map. 

 

Edited by or1nh0
Link to comment
Share on other sites

48 minutes ago, or1nh0 said:

I thought the same thing, that Mip is still activated and causes the problems. Thx will try it out.

Edit: Sadly not the case for me, it's already set to false.

Edit2:

Nvidia Rtx 3070 8GB

i5-11600K @ 3.90GH 

32GB DDR4 Ram 1800MHz

2GB NVME Samsung SSD

I get constantly 10-30fps on every map, no more than 30.

Before it was 70-100fps on every map. 

 

have u tried clearing shader cache? try reducing texture quality from high to medium too, just to be sure

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 часа назад, or1nh0 сказал:

I thought the same thing, that Mip is still activated and causes the problems. Thx will try it out.

Edit: Sadly not the case for me, it's already set to false.

Edit2:

Nvidia Rtx 3070 8GB

i5-11600K @ 3.90GH 

32GB DDR4 Ram 1800MHz

2GB NVME Samsung SSD

I get constantly 10-30fps on every map, no more than 30.

Before it was 70-100fps on every map. 

бро, спасибо большое! ты лучший. в этом реально была вся проблема. правда, фпс все равно после патча просел довольно сильно. но зато теперь благодаря тебе, нету фризов)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)
vor 8 Stunden schrieb MakuraYB:

have u tried clearing shader cache? try reducing texture quality from high to medium too, just to be sure

Yes, i cleared the cache, tried texture quality low , medium & high.

Couldn't see any big difference. Lag spikes and fps drops to nearly 0 are common.

I have read "it look's ike a slideshow", that describes it the best :)

 

Note to the picture, Nvidia Reflex is "On".

Edit: Reducing the "overall visibility" to 1000 seems to have helped. (not nice, but better than  a slideshow)

I made a quick test in offline mode and i was getting nearly 50% more frames.

Will test it later more intensively and give feedback. 

2022-07-01[08-22] (0).png

Edited by or1nh0
Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, or1nh0 said:

Yes, i cleared the cache, tried texture quality low , medium & high.

Couldn't see any big difference. Lag spikes and fps drops to nearly 0 are common.

I have read "it look's ike a slideshow", that describes it the best :)

 

Note to the picture, Nvidia Reflex is "On".

Edit: Reducing the "overall visibility" to 1000 seems to have helped. (not nice, but better than  a slideshow)

I made a quick test in offline mode and i was getting nearly 50% more frames.

Will test it later more intensively and give feedback. 

2022-07-01[08-22] (0).png

In my case, I've only played on woods a handful of times, but not only is all the stuttering gone when I load off-line, I'm realizing online raids are fine too, up until I'm within a certain distance of another PMC and seems to get worse the closer they are. Something tells me that the changes to how textures are being handled, mip streaming, etc. the new player textures are not getting along with some of us for whatever reason. Realizing this has been interesting because I know when someone is relatively close by. The problem is that I might as well open up voip and ring the dinner bell because i'm free loot at this point. To go from 100 frames to crazy stuttering that may include multi-second freezes is pretty gnarly.

I don't know where else to point the finger seeing as the game only cripples itself online. Does anyone know if it's possible that FPS would be directly dependent on something in the net code, as in something net related stalls resulting in an FPS freeze/stutter for an equal amount of time? I'm just spitballing here... I wish i knew more.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

Well I uninstalled and reinstalled for todays update for good measure and I'm pleased to say that atleast in my case I'm back to stutter free gaming. 65-70ish FPS on woods with 2x supersampling or 100-110ish with it off on a 2060 super.

The update mentions nothing about performance so unless there's something they didn't mention I suppose it was just a botched install with their update system. I suppose it's likely good practice to just go ahead and install fresh atleast for any major updates.

I hope others are able to sort out their stutterfest.

Edited by DGeorge85
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a saying in my country:

"The cause of an error sits most of the time in front of the pc"

And surely that was the case :)

I'm also back to 100fps, the game runs great.

Overclocking was the cause, at least i learned something. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Posted (edited)

I probably lost like 15-20% of fps, which I gained from the last big update (!), in this update.

I really don't why, but the game was running really well with the last content patch (the patch where they fixed Lighthouse performance). However, before that, performance was kinda meh too. I know that my CPU (i7 4790k @ 4.5) is kinda """"weak"""", but this huge regression to this bad state just baffles me. 

I am fighting really hard to get constant 60fps, and especially interiors like the Reserve Bunker or just medium sized houses (like Villa) are giving my system a hard time. 

Edited by extonix
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Sucks... last wipe had perfect performance, but when I get into fire fight on this wipe the game stutters/freezes 1-3 seconds at a time... completely unplayable...

Main Specs:

AMD Ryzen™ 9 5950X, GTX 3080TI

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...