A Deep Dive into Field of View

Spectator6

Hello peoples! It's been a while since I've done a deep dive. Let's suit up for another one, shall we?

This one is going to be about FOV (field of view) and how it makes it seem as though something very wrong is going on in the game with regard to ADS-positions, lasers, magnified optics, etc etc.

What makes this such a fascinating topic is the fact that there's more to the story. And even though we can *CLEARLY* see that things are amiss within the game, ~~our eyes~~ our player character's eyes are actually deceiving us.

The challenge I am making is that to "prove" this is not a problem with Unity (or, in many respects, even with EFT) I am going to restrict myself to physical objects. So I can demonstrate to myself and the viewers at home this is actually a real life issue with cameras and photography. I've got a ton of reference photos and material that I'll be unpacking.

This will be one of my most technical dives to date. There is a LOT of moving parts. BUT! On the whole, the concept is rather simple. The trick, then, is to ELI5 it in such a way that a kid can understand.

I hope you'll stick around, grab a drink, kick up your feet, and join in on the discussion/comments/etc as things progress

Hopefully I can knock the final video out during short bursts of free time this weekend. Until then, here is a trailer.

(And yes, the "answer" is in there)

Edited by Spectator6
typos
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1
  • Hot 3
  • Upvote 1

Sorry for the silence, muchachos! Most of my free time has been wrapped up in doing the research and creating the various clips/footage.

The cool thing is, in my time today, I inadvertently connected two-and-two together and solved what causes things like this to occur:
shotgun_pk_misalign_75_short.gif.60f5acc3826fc3b7aa6d9bce72d1d1b9.gif

The dreaded misalignment of sights from the point of impact.

• While swaying
  • While moving
  • While running away from Tagilla and screaming

Simply put: "Ladies and gentlemen... We got'em."

Now I don't mean to string everyone along in a never-ending game of "Wait for it...", but before I cross this next river, I'm asking YOU (yes, YOU!)...

• ## What has been confusing thusfar in what I've shown in the FOV playlist? (linked below, 1 trailer + 5 videos at the time of this writing)
  • ## Where do your eyes kind of glaze over and/or you start to feel like, "Whew, he lost me there. What the heck is going on?"

Because it's not your fault! I just need to improve the messaging! But it's really difficult for me to make it better if I don't know what's going through your head (yes, YOUR head!) 

OR!

If your reaction is something different altogether, what is it? If you're feeling like, "Okay the trailer was cool, but Part 1 didn't go where I thought it would go..." or something like that, please let me know! Or if you're thinking, "Meh, a video? I MISS the walls-o-text!" You're not going to hurt my feelings at all.

In the past, I wrote first, then videoed later. This time I'm doing it mostly through video since it's a really hard thing to get across with just walls-o-text. 

As always, thanks for reading and however much you choose to participate (even if it's just watching up-dooting) THANK YOU!

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Sorry for the delays, part 3 is still coming! 

image.thumb.png.004d30cc6beb977898cbfc4cfd78a279.png

In addition to comparing against other games, we will also be able to see firsthand how some of these concepts play out for us in real-time :)

image.png.dbff6eb645c9ab53922114f7586ca30b.png