STALKER [vanilla] favorite memories?

eltdrgntmr

I'd say the best way to pregame for EFT is to play (or replay) the whole STALKER series. That being said, for all of you STALKER veterans out there, what were some of your favorite memories from the game?

I'll start: my favorite memory was in Call of Pripyat at the beginning of the game where you had to escape the first emission. As I was dropped in the middle of nowhere I died way too many times before I realized how easy it was to just go up to a stalker and ask him to take you to Skadovsk.

One of my deaths involved me dropping all the way down a crack in the ground into a cave, where I stayed for the duration of the emission. Just as I thought the worst was behind me, I tried to find a way out of the cave only to find it was full of snorks, which I hated since the first game after fighting them in the labs and IMO are the scariest monsters in the whole series. I ended up somehow fighting my way out with only the starting AKS, only to die to an anomaly because I got careless after I thought yet again I had put the worst behind me.

Even better, later in the game I tried to avoid that location (Claw Anomaly) like the plague, only to discover that one of the first side quests wanted me to repeat the exact same thing. I got so mad that in the end, I looked up an online guide on how to get the best items out of the locked crate the quest giver had me get from that accursed cave - I deserved better for reliving this experience over.

tl;dr - had the biggest most horrifying experience ever in a game and later had to do it again.

Edited by eltdrgntmr
added details
  • Upvote 1

Don't really have a single favorite memory. My whole STALKER experience is filled with countless great adventures in all three games and still growing ( with mods).

But I guess I'll share some of the things I loved most about vanilla Call of Pripyat.

The proccess of recruiting a full squad and fighting our way through Jupiter underground. It felt so rewarding when everyone made it to Pripyat alive. After that, the final push towards the heli pads ended up with only me and Strelok left alive fighting off hordes of Monolith fighters. In the end, he got on the chopper and I chose to stay in the Zone with a shredded armor, a single medkit ,2 mags left on my half-broken AS Val and a Makarov which I never used.

The hell I went through while fighting all the way back to the military base in pitch dark...only for an emission  to nearly kill me on the front door... :useriously: 

...was later worth it for that good ol campfire gathering with lone stalkers on the Skadovsk, cracking up a can or two :cannedmilk: with some bread and sausage and enjoying the atmosphere. 

Edited by Wоlf
  • Upvote 1

Yeah the push to Pripyat was definitely one of the best singleplayer battles I've been through. I loved the squad battles in the STALKER series so much I got the faction war mod for Clear Sky even though it was full of bugs.

I had a similar sort of experience in the endgame of Pripyat, but somehow I managed to blow Strelok up in friendly fire with a grenade - it wasn't until after the credits started rolling that I realized Strelok died and that the guy I killed in the confusion was actually Strelok xD

The endgame was kinda depressing though. Roaming the Zone without constant fear of danger and without a questline made me feel lonely. Here's to hoping EFT will fill in that void.

I've been replaying Shadow of Chernobyl with OGSE, which is far, far superior to Complete, LURK, or the Misery Mods in my experience for vanilla gameplay with bug-fixing and just a few extra weapons.

I've realized I need to carry a crap ton of grenades for everything. I think my favorite part so far was the mini-Brain Scorcher, I forgot how good the atmosphere was in SoC.

15 minutes ago, Sushi said:

I've been replaying Shadow of Chernobyl with OGSE, which is far, far superior to Complete, LURK, or the Misery Mods in my experience for vanilla gameplay with bug-fixing and just a few extra weapons.

I've realized I need to carry a crap ton of grenades for everything. I think my favorite part so far was the mini-Brain Scorcher, I forgot how good the atmosphere was in SoC.

I haven't heard of OGSE, but I'll be sure to try it. I think the biggest part of the atmosphere were the labs in SoC. They were truly terrifying to be in. Nothing in the sequels can compare.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, eltdrgntmr said:

I haven't heard of OGSE, but I'll be sure to try it. I think the biggest part of the atmosphere were the labs in SoC. They were truly terrifying to be in. Nothing in the sequels can compare.

"Old Good Stalker Evolution," currently 0.6.9.2, but also going to 0.6.9.3 right now. It polishes a lot of the base game and is the least buggy SoC version I've ever played. It's also going to revamp all the base guns allegedly and add its own attachment system.

• 1 year later...

I'm a big big fan of Metro and Stalker too. Regarding Stalker, played all titles more than once, with multiple mods, mainly Atmosfear 3 and Arsenal Overhaul. Exploring X-18, the Red Forest near Limansk or the city of Pripyat itself are just examples of what I remember to be awesome.

I can't stress enough, for people that love stalker, to try out Call of Chernobyl with Warfare mod and if possible with Arsenal Overhaul too.. It requires Call of Pripyat to be installed but it works as a standalone. It compiles together all locations from the 3 titles, adding new ones, into a giant world map. It also allows to play as different factions (even as military, bandit, monolith or zombie) with different starting locations, and relations. It also upgrades A-Life, with quite improved AI behaviours and tactics. It comes with its own story mode. The Warfare mod adds locations and the ability to select all units of your faction from the map and give them capture or follow orders. To me, it was the apex of Stalker experience and I'm still playing it, while trying to capture all points in all locations in the game.

All of this can be found in Moddb. Give it a try guys.

Edited by TimeStreamer
typo

Destroying the Bloodsuckers lair... It was kinda creepy when I did the mission. It was kinda funny if you threw a grenade in the area where the bloodsuckers sleep

• 3 weeks later...

Well, it's not from vanilla, but from the CoC mod for Call of Pripyat if that's alright with you.

I had just finished testing out my suppressed sniper (the AS VAL or the VSS) on an assassination mission in cordon and I was on my way back to Rostok when I was assaulted by 6 bandits in Garbage.

Since they were at the bottom of the hill I had just crested, I had a bright idea- I threw a single grenade just over the crest of the hill and hoped for the best.

Immediately after the explosion I get a notification saying that the bandit faction had declared a cease fire against my own faction and I peeked over the hill to see 6 new corpses scattered about at the foot of the hill.

In my head I was thinking, 'Well I'll be damned, a 6-piece with a single grenade would scare me too"

Then I had another great idea. Oh my, oh my~ was I excited to try this. Since I was already in garbage, I just had to turn the corner to see the main building where all the bandits like to camp out at... and I still have a few grenades... and they declared a cease fire... You see where this is going.

So giddy as a school girl I skipped over to the entrance of the warehouse with grenades in hand. I walked up to the campfire at the entrance to see these kind folk all sat down without a care in the zone.

The pictures below is the before and after with nothing but a single grenade. I didn't take a picture of the last couple of guys I killed with a gun because they weren't as entertaining.

Also, picture from phone because I was texting the girlfriend a slideshow of my achievement lol.

20170320_024606.jpg

20170320_025154.jpg

20170320_030112.jpg

20170320_025302.jpg

20170320_030206.jpg

man that controller sound , don't know about you guys but that high pitched whine actually hurt my ears , like there was a pressure on my head , made me want to kill them so fast :P

List of memories for S.T.A.L.K.E.R is endless omg........such good games

The area forward from Pripyat on SoC was just.....amazing.......Pripyat felt so empty.

I don't have a particular favorite moment, the whole game is so much fun it has to be treated as a whole experience. Fighting powerful mutants like Chimeras, Controllers, Burers and Pseudogiants for the first time was thrilling and nerve wracking, even on replays they can get very scary.

If I had to pin it to one single moment in the series, it'd have to be Lab X8's crying child... it gives me f****ng chills every-god-damn-time.

My favorite memory Is going to lab X8. 

I was Cautiously creeping through what seemed like the never-ending nightmare that was X8,  I thought I could handle it... and for the most part, I did with the occasional scream.  

But oh Saint mother Teresa was I wrong...  I entered a room and heard a child/baby crying and for the first time in the X8 lab, I was Chilled to the bone.

I froze with fear....  and proceeded to poo myself as I threw as many grenades as I had on me into that room...