WAUZZZ8CB4

Linux support?

JonnyTeronni
2 hours ago, robbierobinson said:

I'm currently trying to send as much info to the Tarkov team as they want. The Back buffer/FBO change didn't really make a difference. Just have to sit tight until the frames stabilize. I don't know enough to be able to make a determination on the cause or how to pin it down, just testing like crazy to see if I can get in the ballpark. I may punish myself and run straight wine to see if the crash happens online. 20 FPS hatchling runs I guess.

Interchange is definitely the worst. I know you can change your cache settings for DXVK so I may play with those as well.

As a side note. If you're planning to continue to use the TKG patches, you'll have to compile them yourself. TKG isn't' upstreaming them to Lutris anymore. The decision was made on that due to not being able to fully configure the patches I guess.

I'm running with tkg-4.6 because is was the last update. I already knew about the tkg patch but was hoping for something else to appear on Lutris. What runner version in lutris do you recommend? Or should I try to compile tkg myself?

robbierobinson
On 6/10/2019 at 4:55 PM, JonnyTeronni said:

I'm running with tkg-4.6 because is was the last update. I already knew about the tkg patch but was hoping for something else to appear on Lutris. What runner version in lutris do you recommend? Or should I try to compile tkg myself?

I doubt anything else will appear on Lutris unless someone else decides to compile and upstream them with approval from the devs. I have decided to compile them myself and use the TKG patches as my system default while keeping the Lutris versions for other applications/games. You can also compile them externally and them add them to Lutris yourself, but I don't have a need because I haven't needed to have any special patches for any other application. The compilation process isn't hard and you'll edit a config file to get exactly what you want. It will take some time to compile though, so be patient if you decide to do that.

• Thanks 1

JonnyTeronni
Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, robbierobinson said:

I doubt anything else will appear on Lutris unless someone else decides to compile and upstream them with approval from the devs. I have decided to compile them myself and use the TKG patches as my system default while keeping the Lutris versions for other applications/games. You can also compile them externally and them add them to Lutris yourself, but I don't have a need because I haven't needed to have any special patches for any other application. The compilation process isn't hard and you'll edit a config file to get exactly what you want. It will take some time to compile though, so be patient if you decide to do that.

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/psa-tk-glitch-has-stopped-providing-wine-tkg-sources-to-lutris-rip/143347

Here they say GE is stepping in and actually we already have new version of GE 4.9

Not sure if GE will continue the work on tkg patches or not. Need to dig deeper on this.

I never compiled wine myself. Will Google it.

Edited by JonnyTeronni

Faalagorn
1 hour ago, JonnyTeronni said:

https://forum.level1techs.com/t/psa-tk-glitch-has-stopped-providing-wine-tkg-sources-to-lutris-rip/143347

Here they say GE is stepping in and actually we already have new version of GE 4.9

Not sure if GE will continue the work on tkg patches or not. Need to dig deeper on this.

Basically GloriousEggroll started doing what TkG did, so TkG stopped bothering. I still use TkG because I compile from source anyway and the helpful community on Discord.

TkG only provides scripts for Arch and deriviatives (PKGBUILD), so if you are on other distro you generally have to fiddle a little more, but on Arch it's as straightforward as typing "makepkg -si" and (on default options) answering some prompts given (you can use default by typing enter for each one).

I like to fiddle a little, so I copied the provided .cfg file and customized it for only the tweaks EfT might need to make compiling faster and maybe mariginally smaller binaries, but it generenrally doesn't make much difference unless you are really low on CPU (and in this case you probably can't run EfT comfortable in the first place).

• Upvote 1

JonnyTeronni
3 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Basically GloriousEggroll started doing what TkG did, so TkG stopped bothering. I still use TkG because I compile from source anyway and the helpful community on Discord.

TkG only provides scripts for Arch and deriviatives (PKGBUILD), so if you are on other distro you generally have to fiddle a little more, but on Arch it's as straightforward as typing "makepkg -si" and (on default options) answering some prompts given (you can use default by typing enter for each one).

I like to fiddle a little, so I copied the provided .cfg file and customized it for only the tweaks EfT might need to make compiling faster and maybe mariginally smaller binaries, but it generenrally doesn't make much difference unless you are really low on CPU (and in this case you probably can't run EfT comfortable in the first place).

Ye I'm on ubuntu based distro (POP OS). Do you get better performance that way when compared with tkg-4.6?

splitoris

For windows if you disable hyper threading just for tarkov. You get a little frame boost and stutters are not as frequent and shorter. 

People are starting Tarkov client with a bat file or using process lasso?

Anyone have a way to do that in Linux? And try it?

maverck

I have tried it using the taskset command, It didn't make any difference in terms of crashing
sticking to woods didn't help either.

I am dual booting windows until some sort of patch comes out that fixes that crash.

Faalagorn
23 hours ago, JonnyTeronni said:

Ye I'm on ubuntu based distro (POP OS). Do you get better performance that way when compared with tkg-4.6?

I never compared really, so hard to tell.

@splitoris I don't get what what do you mean, but you can set priorities in Linux for each process a way easier and on more advanced using various envvars, see for example https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Realtime_process_management, but I didn't bother to setting it manually – I use Feral's gamemode with Lutris though, so it does some of these for me automatically (changing cpu governor to performance and setting some nice values, it's further configurable via .ini file, you can even make it overclock your GPU in the recent versions, but I didn't mess with it yet).

I also use kernel compiled with tkg's patches with BMQ scheduler, yield 0, 1000hz tick, real time preemepton and a few responsiveness kernel tweaks, though PDS (BMQ predecessor) would probably work better than BMQ at this point. I also possibly lose some performance in favour of responsibility (= possibly less stutter). The instructions to compile the kernel on arch are on TkG github, but various distro also carry some more responsiveness (multimedia/gaming) kernels in their repos (linux-ck or such), so you can avoid time consuming kernel compilation to benefit from them.

Finally, there's a patch in DXVK called "async pipecompiler" that was originally invented for Path of Exile that reduces stutter – you can also enable it on TkG's repos, but it might (most likely not but it's never 100% sure) not like some anticheats (Blizzard's Overwatch was said to not like it, but it's not sure if the case was this patch indeed), but it's still not officially carried in DXVK and since I never get much stutter in the first place I didn't bother testing it either. It also may not like DXVK's cache too much, so while you get less stutter initially (since shaders are compiled asynchronously), you may encounter some issues where you have to remove your build cache, possibly casuing (minor but still) stutter for loading the shaders every so often.

splitoris
5 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

@Faalagorn EFT doesnt like hyperthreading. You run eft in windows without HT enabled you get better frames and less stutters.

Faalagorn

@splitoris My CPU doesn't have HT/SMT at all (i5-4690k), but if yours do should be able to easily disable the cores at runtime, guide here https://www.golinuxhub.com/2018/01/how-to-disable-or-enable-hyper.html (can't test how it works, but the instructions looks fine to me, you just have to adjust to your needs, not sure if there's an easy way to use the HT/SMT for another apps in the background, but you can possibly make a simple bash script to initialize on game start and restore on game close, for example by adding it to gamemode if you use it)

robbierobinson
Posted (edited)
On 6/12/2019 at 11:19 AM, JonnyTeronni said:

On 6/12/2019 at 4:22 PM, JonnyTeronni said:

@JonnyTeronniYeah I did read that GE will be taking over. I was having issues with the last patch that he put out. Black screens and such. I like compiling from source for my main games though. It's nice to build exactly what you want for testing.

I don't see much a difference from the tkg-4.0+ patches. There's maybe some small differences from the 3.1 patches but nothing to really write home about. (Coming from a Manjaro guy btw.)

On 6/13/2019 at 4:36 PM, Faalagorn said:

I never compared really, so hard to tell.

@splitoris I don't get what what do you mean, but you can set priorities in Linux for each process a way easier and on more advanced using various envvars, see for example https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/Realtime_process_management, but I didn't bother to setting it manually – I use Feral's gamemode with Lutris though, so it does some of these for me automatically (changing cpu governor to performance and setting some nice values, it's further configurable via .ini file, you can even make it overclock your GPU in the recent versions, but I didn't mess with it yet).

I also use kernel compiled with tkg's patches with BMQ scheduler, yield 0, 1000hz tick, real time preemepton and a few responsiveness kernel tweaks, though PDS (BMQ predecessor) would probably work better than BMQ at this point. I also possibly lose some performance in favour of responsibility (= possibly less stutter). The instructions to compile the kernel on arch are on TkG github, but various distro also carry some more responsiveness (multimedia/gaming) kernels in their repos (linux-ck or such), so you can avoid time consuming kernel compilation to benefit from them.

Finally, there's a patch in DXVK called "async pipecompiler" that was originally invented for Path of Exile that reduces stutter – you can also enable it on TkG's repos, but it might (most likely not but it's never 100% sure) not like some anticheats (Blizzard's Overwatch was said to not like it, but it's not sure if the case was this patch indeed), but it's still not officially carried in DXVK and since I never get much stutter in the first place I didn't bother testing it either. It also may not like DXVK's cache too much, so while you get less stutter initially (since shaders are compiled asynchronously), you may encounter some issues where you have to remove your build cache, possibly casuing (minor but still) stutter for loading the shaders every so often.

@Faalagorn

I will have to try the TKG kernel patches. What have you thought about them. I didn't know he was doing that. I'll be browsing his github now. I'm also using the async patch for DXVK right now, hopefully I don't get popped on the anti-cheat. As the game keeps crashing I'm playing less and less though until it resolves a little bit. Also, I always forget gamemode!

On 6/13/2019 at 1:52 PM, splitoris said:

For windows if you disable hyper threading just for tarkov. You get a little frame boost and stutters are not as frequent and shorter. 

People are starting Tarkov client with a bat file or using process lasso?

Anyone have a way to do that in Linux? And try it?

@splitoris Realistically, I have had less stuttering with Linux on my end. Still have the frame hit from using wine but other than that, load times, stuttering seems to be minimal. You can prioritize tasks by PID number if you'd like but I'm not sure if it would make a difference for the current crash issue.

Edited by robbierobinson

Faalagorn

@robbierobinson Having a responsible kernel (and gamemode I guess :P) minimized the stuttering for me as well, to the point I stopped worrying. With enough performance (sub-60 on some maps, but for my playstyle it was fine) it was comfortable for me enough, though as you mention there's always stuttering from the shader compiling (though async patches help mitigate that, I may try that if you say you are using that) and DX11 translation (but thanks to Vulkan should be minimal), other than that, it's easily compensated by the lack of background processess needed and generally better optimizations on Linux side.

Speaking of Async, anyone else using it? I really doubt as aside from that isolated Overwatch case which wasn't even confirmed what was the reason no one ever got banned, but maybe some developer could confirm that that it's indeed safe? (IIRC we got confirmations that playing with Wine and DXVK is safe before, so maybe the same person could vouch here as well?)

robbierobinson

@Faalagorn The kernel patches have me intrigued, I'll probably do that on my days off. As far as I know, async only got hit on Overwatch and has been listed as a "potential" issue. Thankfully we have this forum to show we have been testing on Wine/DXVK heavily if something would arise.

• Upvote 1

Korkalus

is this game going to have a native version for gnu/linux in the future?

• Like 1

robbierobinson
On 6/18/2019 at 3:51 PM, Korkalus said:

is this game going to have a native version for gnu/linux in the future?

I believe it was said that the developers were "looking into it" but there was never a full out "yes" from anybody. They also said that none of the developers "hate" Linux. To be honest, I doubt you'll see a native client come out for Linux and I'm totally fine with that, as long as we can run it in wine.

• Like 1

zojo

So my game is crashing and i'm getting this error log:

Unity Player [version: Unity 5.6.6f2_4be1602796c0]

EscapeFromTarkov.exe caused an Access Violation (0xc0000005)
  in module EscapeFromTarkov.exe at 0033:7fff0fc0.

Error occurred at 2019-06-22_135606.
C:\Battlestate Games\EFT\EscapeFromTarkov.exe, run by jozo.
33% memory in use.
4096 MB physical memory [4096 MB free].
4096 MB paging file [-2048 MB free].
4096 MB user address space [4096 MB free].
Write to location 7fff0fc0 caused an access violation.

Context:
RDI:    0x57823fa0  RSI: 0x0024f760  RAX:   0x00000000
RBX:    0x13af49e0  RCX: 0x13af49e0  RDX:   0x57823fa0
RIP:    0x7fff0fc0  RBP: 0x00000001  SegCs: 0x00000033
EFlags: 0x00010246  RSP: 0x0024f6d8  SegSs: 0x0000002b
R8:    0x0024f810  R9: 0x0024f908  R10:   0xffea9268
R11:    0x0024f6c0  R12: 0x9383b5a0  R13:   0x9384bf30
R14:    0x0000000a  R15: 0x404e71c0

any ideas ?

maverck

Same error we all get. always the exact same location too of 7fff0fc0.
I recommend dual booting if you want to play for now.

zojo
2 minutes ago, maverck said:

Same error we all get. always the exact same location too of 7fff0fc0.
I recommend dual booting if you want to play for now.

well if you change DXVK to 0.9 it works but then the game would have 30 fps for the first 10 ~ 20 seconds at the start of a raid 🤔

maverck

i get that on the newest versions of dxvk also, i have not tried an old version myself though.

splitoris

Guy just posted on the Reddit that he runs the game using steam and proton and doesn't get the error 

• Like 1

Korkalus
On 6/21/2019 at 5:10 AM, robbierobinson said:

I believe it was said that the developers were "looking into it" but there was never a full out "yes" from anybody. They also said that none of the developers "hate" Linux. To be honest, I doubt you'll see a native client come out for Linux and I'm totally fine with that, as long as we can run it in wine.

Having an official support for GNU/Linux is always nice. Wine is a good option, but is not always the best. Not only because you lose fps using wine, also if they add anything unsupported by Wine, then linux users won't be able to play until the wine community fix it.

So while I have to thanks Wine for making my transition to gnu/linux easier, I have to admit it isn't a definitive fix for gaming.

• Like 1

sukasuka
On 6/23/2019 at 1:19 AM, splitoris said:

Guy just posted on the Reddit that he runs the game using steam and proton and doesn't get the error 

do you have the link ?

robbierobinson
1 hour ago, sukasuka said:

do you have the link ?

He later admitted that it didn't help. I believe he was actually just running a "Wine Steam" through Lutris and maybe linking BSG Launcher to steam. No different than running TKG or EG Protonified.

sukasuka
4 minutes ago, robbierobinson said:

He later admitted that it didn't help. I believe he was actually just running a "Wine Steam" through Lutris and maybe linking BSG Launcher to steam. No different than running TKG or EG Protonified. 

ok, i just tried it myself. and it makes no difference. i dunno. but i got a weird feeling it has something to do with how many other players are near you when you spawn. simply because chances of it increases further into the raid you keep trying.

astarot_0

Hi. Can anyone help me? Tarkov is running good, but i can't load a map. After 100% load i have crash. I am using DXVK 4.8 without esync. Log is attached.

output_log.txt