Jump to content
WAUZZZI

Linux support?

Recommended Posts

qtarantino
Posted (edited)
Только что, robbierobinson сказал:

This seemed to the case for most of everyone. However, over time it seems like the game starts to crash more  and more often.

Just an update on the forum:

We have found a working solution for the time being! It is a little involved but it does work for me. Some others may be testing it as well.

I will post up a small report/guide within the week. I have tested it on 3 installs at this point and it has been consistently running for me.

KszYZvC.png

i'll wait for your solution. Thank you.

I see that you use older version of vulkan and nvidia driver, is it part of your solution ?

Edited by qtarantino

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbierobinson
Posted (edited)

Sorry for the wait. I was out of town for a wedding this weekend.

 

This solution requires Windows 10 to be installed/run on the local PC. I haven't done a lot of test to check if a VM would or not. I also played Tarkov on the Win10 partition. I'm not sure if it's 100% necessary.

  • Log into Windows 1O
  • Open Regedit
  • Export the following keys/branches and save to your choice of media (HKLM = HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE, HKCU = HKEY_CURRENT_USER)
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ICM\RegisteredProfiles
    • HKCU\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows NT\CurrentVersion\ICM\RegisteredProfiles 
    • HKLM\System\CurrentControlSet\Services\Tcpip\Parameters\Interfaces 
    • HKLM\SOFTWARE\Policies\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings 
    • HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Internet Settings\Connections\DefaultConnectionSettings
    • (All required keys should recursively export as well. Double check after importing into Wine)
  • Boot into your Linux distro of choice
  • Install EFT via the Lutris installer
  • Import registry keys via Lutris (right side there is a Wine Registry option)
  • Set wine version to tkg-4.5-unity (I HAVE tested others and they do work, this is what I used to test most often)
  • Set DXVK to 1.3.1
  • Set Windows version to Windows 7
  • Be ready for a crash or two. Once these are out of the way, I had no other issues.

Hopefully this process works for others as it has worked for me. I am still testing currently and seeing which keys are absolutely necessary but I'm unsure how exact I'll get. If this works for other, we will most likely just leave it as it is. 

@qtarantino  At that time I was testing the newest Vulkan beta drivers to see if there was a difference or not. Currently I am using 430.34 and it is working fine as well.

 

If this works, please let me know!

I also want to throw some credit out there to those who helps get to this point! Without their help I wouldn't have found this solution.

@JonnyTeronni

@Faalagorn

@ViRazY

Edited by robbierobinson
Syntax/Credit
  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbierobinson

Tarkov giveth and Tarkov taketh. The workaround just stopped working for me, I am actively tracking down the issue

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbierobinson

It's possible that I have it running. Solid run on Shoreline without error. I will update after some long tests tonight.

2019-07-29-142121_1920x1080_scrot.png

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbierobinson

Sorry for the wait. Life.  

Once I got the workaround going, I was able to play almost without issue for the next 2-3 hours. I had to hop off after that but I did try different maps to test whether it was map specific or not.

I believe right now that anytime your IP changes, the registries would also need to be updated to reflect the changes. If anyone has done this workaround (and has it actively working), please let me here or in my discord.  If you do the workaround and it works and later on it does not, try to import new registries and see if this resolves.

Once I get some time I plan to write some scripts for Windows and Linux that would pull the registries and import them into wine. I will also be testing to see if this resolves using a VM since I typically use my dual-boot partition as a VM.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sukasuka

Thanks for your efforts my friend. it would be good if you could upload the keys and we could edit them to suit our devices once we know what it is exactly tarkov needs. I don't have a local install of windows here sadly.

  • Hot 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alexzzd
Posted (edited)

Thanks for the information. Followed this instruction - there was no crash at the beginning

Edited by alexzzd

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
alexzzd
15 hours ago, alexzzd said:

Thanks for the information. Followed this instruction - there was no crash at the beginning

still crashes sometimes :(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbierobinson
On 8/2/2019 at 7:12 AM, sukasuka said:

Thanks for your efforts my friend. it would be good if you could upload the keys and we could edit them to suit our devices once we know what it is exactly tarkov needs. I don't have a local install of windows here sadly.

I believe the issue with uploading my specific keys is that there would be a lot of information that you'd have to dig out to make new keys with. I'm looking at possibly writing a script that you could use on windows to pull registries, save them, then import into Wine. For those without a local Windows, I'm exploring a possibility of writing a script to generate these keys based off current ip/dns settings in Linux. It would be a little bit before I could implement that because we're still trying to figure out what exactly it's trying to look at.

On 8/5/2019 at 3:35 AM, alexzzd said:

still crashes sometimes :(

I ran PMC raids last night for roughly 3-4 hours. I had 2 crashes and they were all fairly predictable (low fps, lag, beginning of the raid). We are in a much better position right now that we were a month ago. A month ago I crashed every raid on start. We are still digging to see what we can do but we're making progress and I've been able to play regularly with much better performance (excluding BSG's server issues with logins, etc).

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbierobinson

Rip Linux

BSG just announced Battleye and said they will be implementing it into the current version of the game. At this point in time, Battleye does NOT run in Linux. Valve and Battleye are working to make Proton work but there hasn't been any updates recently, to my knowledge. I will see what I can do once the game is updated, but this project may have to stop for some time.

~LD-50

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
7 hours ago, robbierobinson said:

Rip Linux

BSG just announced Battleye and said they will be implementing it into the current version of the game. At this point in time, Battleye does NOT run in Linux. Valve and Battleye are working to make Proton work but there hasn't been any updates recently, to my knowledge. I will see what I can do once the game is updated, but this project may have to stop for some time.

~LD-50

Would be nice if the devs could re-evaluate Linux after Unity 2018 – Unturned (unity game) and a few other games that use BattleEye are also on Linux, so I guess it should be doable?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ViRazY

That is what I hope as well. I didn't hear anything about a native linux version for quite a while though. An official statement would be great.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
OliBeu

Does the game still work with Battle Eye?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbierobinson
36 minutes ago, OliBeu said:

Does the game still work with Battle Eye?

Officially? No.  Battleye is not supported.

Unofficially? If you were able to get Battleye to run, there's no reason why it wouldn't work. However, I'm unsure how this would look to BSG and Battleye, you may get a ban for unconventional means of use in the process of getting the game to run in Wine. It would nice if we could get a dev to chime in and let us know if this would be allowed or not and if it would result in a ban. Before we were told we wouldn't be in any trouble by running the game in Linux or attempting to, but I cannot speak for Battleye.

All things said.... I did get the game to run and played a few rounds as a scav. A lot of testing needs to happen before I can confirm anything or provide some instruction.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
11 hours ago, robbierobinson said:

Officially? No.  Battleye is not supported.

Unofficially? If you were able to get Battleye to run, there's no reason why it wouldn't work. However, I'm unsure how this would look to BSG and Battleye, you may get a ban for unconventional means of use in the process of getting the game to run in Wine. It would nice if we could get a dev to chime in and let us know if this would be allowed or not and if it would result in a ban. Before we were told we wouldn't be in any trouble by running the game in Linux or attempting to, but I cannot speak for Battleye.

All things said.... I did get the game to run and played a few rounds as a scav. A lot of testing needs to happen before I can confirm anything or provide some instruction.

I never heard of any troubles trying to get the game run with Battleye other than maybe getting kicked, but it would be nice to have it officially confirmed. Also, unlike EAC at least BattleEye had limited success recently with Proton (hence Wine too), see recent comments in this report: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/30

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbierobinson
6 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

I never heard of any troubles trying to get the game run with Battleye other than maybe getting kicked, but it would be nice to have it officially confirmed. Also, unlike EAC at least BattleEye had limited success recently with Proton (hence Wine too), see recent comments in this report: https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/issues/30

Originally the game was locking up at launch due to Battleye trying to start and hanging. There was a way to get around it but now that they patched it, it's a different ball game. Now we're in the same boat as everyone else, with Battleye kicking within a few seconds of getting into the game. I haven't tried the latest proton but maybe I will down the road.

At this point in time I will most likely be taking a break from pushing this any further, at least for a few weeks. With Battleye coming into the picture, it becomes much harder to deal with than BSG's anti-cheat, which fairly easy to get running on my end. I'll still be active watching the forums and will be active on my Discord, just taking a break from this. I am merely a mechanic and an enthusiast, so this takes a major portion of my home life. 👍

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sukasuka

yea that pretty much is the end of tarkov on linux for the time being. now its joined dayz, pubg and R6 siege in the anti cheat casualty list.

nobody seems to care about Linux apart from steam.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbierobinson
1 hour ago, sukasuka said:

yea that pretty much is the end of tarkov on linux for the time being. now its joined dayz, pubg and R6 siege in the anti cheat casualty list.

nobody seems to care about Linux apart from steam.

Realistically, it's hard to blame game devs/anti-cheat dev  for ignoring Linux. We are such a small proportion of users. Thankfully Valve is pushing this (supposedly Gabe Newell is not a fan of Microsoft) and we can hope to be able to use this in the future. With everyone pushing cloud-gaming, it further pushes Linux off the priority list. I don't even want native clients, just let me run it through Wine. That's enough to make me happy. 40-60 fps on Linux is always better than 60-90 on Windows.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JonnyTeronni
On 8/16/2019 at 8:15 PM, robbierobinson said:

40-60 fps on Linux is always better than 60-90 on Windows.

The cool part is EFT seems so much better in linux... when it works of course.

  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
haterino

So the game is really dead on linux?

I'm trying to work on a solution with a workaround for the battleye thing but it seems like a deadend.

There's someone playing on linux on this date?

image.png.aa5f434a0975830f06a71d3082722dfa.png

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
sukasuka

even if you did find a workaround for battle eye, the staff of battleeye would come on here see it as a way for cheaters to bypass their software and patch it. there is little the masses can do now. im sure a cheater can with time get passed it but not normal people who just want to play the game on linux.

i believe the next time tarkov is played on linux is when its natively supported. or the server is leaked and reverse engineered with a client. both which could be years. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
robbierobinson
On 8/19/2019 at 5:43 PM, haterino said:

So the game is really dead on linux?

I'm trying to work on a solution with a workaround for the battleye thing but it seems like a deadend.

There's someone playing on linux on this date?

 

@haterino Currently there is no-one on Linux playing the game. Battleye has effectively shut us down.

On 8/22/2019 at 4:16 AM, sukasuka said:

even if you did find a workaround for battle eye, the staff of battleeye would come on here see it as a way for cheaters to bypass their software and patch it. there is little the masses can do now. im sure a cheater can with time get passed it but not normal people who just want to play the game on linux.

i believe the next time tarkov is played on linux is when its natively supported. or the server is leaked and reverse engineered with a client. both which could be years. 

@sukasuka We have contacted BSG and reviewed Battleye's term and found that as long as we do not alter the game files, we should be fine to get this working. The testing section of my discord does get shut down to a private channel when we get on to something to ensure a patch doesn't immediately happen. The biggest issue is Battleye makes kernel calls that are not implemented in Wine right now. There was a guy working on a workaround on GitHub but it was never finished and he has moved on from it at this time. Currently Valve and Battleye are working together to get a version working so we can run Windows games with Battleye on Proton. I do not know how long the process will be and I haven't checked in to see yet as I took a little bit of a break from pushing this any further. I'm going to assume that it will be some time before this is working.

Currently Battleye seems to be the anti-cheat that is the most difficult to deal with as far as cheats go, so we cannot fault BSG for implementing it. It has changed the game for the best at this point in time. We just have to wait until we have an option available. I know native Linux has been mentioned multiple times but I don't see it for any foreseeable future. The chances of a native Linux client are slim and very few are willing to adopt and maintain it. Maybe in time I will dive in to see if I get around Battleye (legally) so that we can get back to playing this on Linux but currently I do not have the time between work, school and family to dive into winecode.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
apeFromTarkoff

so its whether "EFT on linux" or "EFT without cheaters"

what would you choose ?

  • Sad 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JonnyTeronni
On 9/16/2019 at 8:25 PM, apeFromTarkoff said:

so its whether "EFT on linux" or "EFT without cheaters"

what would you choose ?

No one blamed BSG for implementing battleeye. Do you play games on linux?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
ViRazY

Thought I would throw a quick status update in here:
Now with 0.12, the game launches again and it is possible to do all kinds of offline and stash/hideout stuff. As soon as you try to enter an online raid BattlEye kicks in and you need to restart your game. There were some mouse and keyboard focus issues last time I checked, but maybe they are fixed already or you need to use the virtual desktop which appears to be working alright most of the time. :)

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...
b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2