Linux support?

WAUZZZI

I've been playing in a VM up until two weeks ago, now I get booted by "AntiCheat connection failed" which I'm guessing is because BattlEye detects that I'm running in a VM. I've invested a few hundred hours in this game and it's really sad that I can't play anymore unless I reinstall Windows and go down the dual-boot path again (ugh) (Also, I've been reading quite a few scary posts about people getting permanently banned just for playing in a VM. Don't know if that's true or if they was caught cheating in a VM. Time will tell if I'll get banned for playing through a VM I guess, and that probably means no more EFT because I'm not gonna spend $150 again...).

TL;DR +1 Linux, It would be the last game finally allowing me to get rid of Windows for good.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Just throwing my (another) two cents here – if Linux support will take a while to get proper and while I don't want to dual boot either, while not ideal as I have a PC well capable of running the game proper, I'd give it a try if there would be a way to stream it using GeForce now – doesn't make sense for me since my PC is perfectly fine to play Tarkov as is, but anything that doesn't have me bother with Windows is a better alternative for me :)

I like what i see from the game the team has been developing it looks good and is very promising and unique.

I would also like to see a linux port/version.
I can say having a steam version is not neccessary, but i would help make compatibility easier on the team but the form of checking and dealing with cheaters would have to be a solution that supports linux, however if steam goes in a worrisome direction, it would be reasurring to know that you will still own the game outside of the steam store.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I would also be happy to see Linux support. I run exclusively Linux and don't have many issues due to Proton/Wine with games. Because of negative reviews which say that Linux support got removed a while ago I didn't buy the game yet. I consider buying it as soon as it runs with some compatibility layer.

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Right now Tarkov is the only reason I still have a 120GB Partition of Windows crap on my system. With 100GB (20GB for temporarys) actual data (Tarkov + Browser + Windows + Updates) and Tarkov being around 10GB thats <10% game and 110GB currently necessary bloat.

Additionally every time I want to play tarkov it I have to reboot.

So please please please get to porting it to linux!

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

For those unaware, most game engines will run fine in linux, including Unreal/Unity/just about everything else.

The real hindrance here for us GNU users, is the anticheat software- which seems unpopular as an effective solution anyway.

I'm also +1 for GNU/linux support.

But what we should really be doing, is as a community invest in finding the best anti-cheat solutions that can be run natively on gnu/linux.
Find my post over in suggestions

Edited by metkiyprizrak

• 3 months later...

Please make a port. Setting up wine SUCKS. Sitting here for almost 3 hours but the Launcher keeps flickering and crashes if I try to install EFT.

• 5 weeks later...
On 7/14/2021 at 11:27 AM, BenniTec said:

Please make a port. Setting up wine SUCKS. Sitting here for almost 3 hours but the Launcher keeps flickering and crashes if I try to install EFT.

The flickering, if it still happens, is a DXVK issue, it doesn't happen with really old versions, not sure which commit broke it, should probably bisecteds and reported it back then.

Either way, the game won't work right now due to BattlEye, here's hoping that Steam Deck release will bring something at least…

• 5 weeks later...

This is the biggest thread in this forum BSG...

I believe at least official updates about this are due, don't you all think? 

+10 for Linux support, I speak for a bunch of comrades.

also, if you need help, I'm up for hiring :)

• 2 weeks later...
On 9/25/2021 at 2:59 AM, Faalagorn said:

There is official support from BattlEye for Wine/Proton coming soon because of Steam Decks, but will work with any Linux distro that supports Proton, see more info here: https://www.reddit.com/r/EscapefromTarkov/comments/puv4gz/battleye_just_announced_they_plan_to_add/

Fingers crossed to finally be able to play!

That's awesome!

But, we will need the developers to enable it when they're creating builds of the game for it to have any effect. So we just have to hope that they're not oblivious to this new feature and they think that enabling it will provide more value to them than it costs them (testing the game may become more complex after enabling this, but I don't know for sure).

6 hours ago, WetWayne41 said:

That's awesome!

But, we will need the developers to enable it when they're creating builds of the game for it to have any effect. So we just have to hope that they're not oblivious to this new feature and they think that enabling it will provide more value to them than it costs them (testing the game may become more complex after enabling this, but I don't know for sure).

Hopefully not, they were supportive toward Linux prior to that, so unless anything changed, let's be of good thought, especially as there's quite a some market for existing players and upcoming Steam Deck :)