WAUZZZI

Linux support?

chrisyyy

If you will support linux i definetly preorder this game. There is no way for me to come back to windows! The MS update-politics are horroble!

Greetings

Edited by chrisyyy
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 3

bixu

If you will support linux i definetly preorder this game. There is no way for me to come back to windows! The MS update-politics are horroble!

Greetings

• Upvote 1

HiddenBullet
On 2/19/2017 at 3:51 PM, bixu said:

Greetings

I myself have Windows running an a KVM with PCI-Passthrough on one of my rigs. No performance degradation when playing games but I would prefer to run Native Linux.

With the way you can release for all versions of Linux with SNAP packages, FLATPAK packages and Electron packages, it is simple to cover them all. No need to pick Ubuntu and stiff the Fedora, openSUSE, Arch, Gentoo people. a Flatpak/XDG app works everywhere.

• Upvote 1

Faalagorn

Hi! First post on forums here, but I'm observing game for a long time :).

Since the game is made on Unity, have anyone tried to launch the game to launch natively on Linux (or Mac) in it's current state? What are the effects? If not, how it runs under Wine?

I sadly don't have the game yet to test it out, waiting for beta to appear on horizon, but I'd buy it instantly if I'd know the Linux support is coming or if the keys bought for game will activate on Steam (to avoid buying the game twice in case it appears there).

I switched to Linux fully few months ago, so when I'll have the game, I'd love to have a native Linux version ASAP, even with problems - and I'd gladly help to test it fully :).If not, I'll at least try to run it that way or if that fails running it in Wine, and finally going to GPU passtrough if everything else fails, like @KRDucky does which I created explicitly for EfT in mind :P (though it would be nice not to, as it'd be the only game that needs it and I don't even use that VM currently).

Anyway, I'll be watching the game still, looking for any news about the Linux version, and if not I'll wait till beta to try it out :). Until then, waiting patiently to see you all in game!

EDIT: For further reference, there is an Unity game I played on Steam recently that have a guide to make it run under Linux natively and it works great for me, that was what sparkled the idea for EfT to run under it. Here's the guide on Steam community for more info.

Edited by Faalagorn
Typo in EDIT

Interknet
On 2/21/2017 at 1:53 PM, Faalagorn said:

Hi! First post on forums here, but I'm observing game for a long time :).

Since the game is made on Unity, have anyone tried to launch the game to launch natively on Linux (or Mac) in it's current state? What are the effects? If not, how it runs under Wine?

I sadly don't have the game yet to test it out, waiting for beta to appear on horizon, but I'd buy it instantly if I'd know the Linux support is coming or if the keys bought for game will activate on Steam (to avoid buying the game twice in case it appears there).

I switched to Linux fully few months ago, so when I'll have the game, I'd love to have a native Linux version ASAP, even with problems - and I'd gladly help to test it fully :).If not, I'll at least try to run it that way or if that fails running it in Wine, and finally going to GPU passtrough if everything else fails, like @KRDucky does which I created explicitly for EfT in mind :P (though it would be nice not to, as it'd be the only game that needs it and I don't even use that VM currently).

Anyway, I'll be watching the game still, looking for any news about the Linux version, and if not I'll wait till beta to try it out :). Until then, waiting patiently to see you all in game!

EDIT: For further reference, there is an Unity game I played on Steam recently that have a guide to make it run under Linux natively and it works great for me, that was what sparkled the idea for EfT to run under it. Here's the guide on Steam community for more info.

I'll give it a shot and let you know.

Didn't know you could manually make a Unity game work on Linux.

Interknet

Well, so far I've got the game launching.

Thing is, the game is black and doesn't load any shaders 

Here's a screenshot of the game running: 1075878fbfdcb489b3d504697fa70009.png

Here is a link to the files if you want to try it and help get the game working on Linux: https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-JDCp0nuxxpQWVxM2YtcHphQm8

Run the game using this command for logs:

"./Escape from Tarkov Alpha.x86_64" -logfile output.log

I'm not going to post logs here because... NDA. I mean that screenshot is of the game, but it shouldn't impose on NDA restrictions I hope. ADMIN - If I'm wrong, feel free to remove the screenshot.

• Upvote 1

SPT_molchanoviv

@Interknet I managed to start the game on wine with opensource AMD driver. But when I installed proprietary driver it failed.

Edited by molchanoviv
  • Upvote 1

Interknet

@molchanoviv Well I don't want to use wine personally xD

Seems to work as if it were native on Linux, aside from the graphics. I'm not sure how to get past the part after entering the code that I get emailed to try anything else however. I'm too lazy to reboot into Windows to check lol

Edited by Interknet

SPT_molchanoviv
31 минуту назад, Interknet сказал:

@molchanoviv Well I don't want to use wine personally xD

Seems to work as if it were native on Linux, aside from the graphics. I'm not sure how to get past the part after entering the code that I get emailed to try anything else however. I'm too lazy to reboot into Windows to check lol

You wont be able to start the game natievly because it has a lot of custom effects on DX9. AFAIK dev working on port to Vulkan. When it's done i think it will be easy to port it on Linux

• Upvote 1

Faalagorn
22 hours ago, molchanoviv said:

@Interknet I managed to start the game on wine with opensource AMD driver. But when I installed proprietary driver it failed.

Open source AMD drivers tend to be much better recently, partially from recent improvements from Valve and Linux game ports, so that's not entirely surprising :). The only thing that the proprietary driver are better at currently is Vulkan support, as AMD didn't release that part of code to public, although even the community effort is getting close to the proprietary one. There are various performance tests being done regurarily on Phoronix comparing various driver stacks.

As far as Wine goes, in case you haven't tried it, I suggest trying out Gallium Wine fork of WINE staging. It is known to offer better performance than official CSMT optimization from WINE team (which are still nice and constantly improved) on AMD cards, often comparable or even better than Windows' or native performance (!). There's a youtube channel with various performance tests, like this one, though keep in mind that while Gallium Nine improves performance, it sometimes bring new compatibility errors (same as CSMT).

Either way, thank you very much for trying out both natively and under Wine :) I still don't own the game - was considering buying it on the recent 23% sale, but it's still to pricy for anything other than the base edition, so I'm still waiting for beta or at least some more official Linux port and/or Steam confirmations, looking how the game develops in the meantime. If what @molchanoviv said about Vulkan is right, I'd be great :). While still relatively new, I like how Vulkan progresses, so it could mean improved performance for all operating systems and cross-platform compatibility - with Unity 5.6 getting Vulkan support soon, it would be really nice addition.

SPT_molchanoviv

I've never heard about wine-gallium. Thanks @Faalagorn. I'll take a look at it.

• Upvote 1

Faalagorn

Since I was lucky to win an alpha access, I could test a little - especially since NDA was lifted, though I won't suspect anything I post would breach NDA anyway - either way, feel free to Edit my message/PM me if anything is wrong, mods!

First of all, it turned you need some kind of Windows, be it physical or VM, to install the game, as the launcher is a 64-bit application that relies on .NET Framework 4, which can't be installed under 64-bit Wine prefix. After that, you can run the game directly from the executable in the installation folder.

Under wine, the game works. Which is actually nice! I don't know what performance loss is, but being able to play the game under Linux in any form is really welcome :). Unfortunately, upon trying to run the game natively via Linux unity player and libraries, I encountered the same error as @Interknet. I actually had to some extensive searching, as the files that Interknet posted weren't working for me and I had trouble finding the actual files needed for the requested engine version - which turned to be Unity 5.3.7p3. If anyone needs the files, here they are (these are just appropriately renamed files/folders from freely downloadable Unity player. Nothing from the actual EfT Alpha, I just renamed and repacked the files for your convenience).

The game launches fine, the unity logo pops in, but there is the same pink textures everywhere. You can click things and they actualkly work, there's even sound playing when clicking them - I assume you can type your login and pass there as well and successfully login to game, but I wouldn't suspect much would be working.

Either way, I'm eagerly waiting for the newest Unity 5.6 upgrade and Vulkan renderer :) Not only it'll improve the performance under Wine most likely, but maybe the native homemade "port" will start working or maybe even BSG will want to release the game on Linux? hint, hint ;). Until then, I am really glad I can play the game under Wine for the time being, since I wasn't really fond of dual booting or playing in a VM.

HiddenBullet
On 3/5/2017 at 9:19 AM, Faalagorn said:

Open source AMD drivers tend to be much better recently, partially from recent improvements from Valve and Linux game ports, so that's not entirely surprising :). The only thing that the proprietary driver are better at currently is Vulkan support, as AMD didn't release that part of code to public, although even the community effort is getting close to the proprietary one. There are various performance tests being done regurarily on Phoronix comparing various driver stacks.

As far as Wine goes, in case you haven't tried it, I suggest trying out Gallium Wine fork of WINE staging. It is known to offer better performance than official CSMT optimization from WINE team (which are still nice and constantly improved) on AMD cards, often comparable or even better than Windows' or native performance (!). There's a youtube channel with various performance tests, like this one, though keep in mind that while Gallium Nine improves performance, it sometimes bring new compatibility errors (same as CSMT).

Either way, thank you very much for trying out both natively and under Wine :) I still don't own the game - was considering buying it on the recent 23% sale, but it's still to pricy for anything other than the base edition, so I'm still waiting for beta or at least some more official Linux port and/or Steam confirmations, looking how the game develops in the meantime. If what @molchanoviv said about Vulkan is right, I'd be great :). While still relatively new, I like how Vulkan progresses, so it could mean improved performance for all operating systems and cross-platform compatibility - with Unity 5.6 getting Vulkan support soon, it would be really nice addition.

Another reason OpenSource AMD drivers are improving is because AMD is all over the Linux train. AMD code is being baked into the Linux Kernel itself. Soon, hopefully, AMD GPU drivers will autoload when booting Linux as they will be built into the kernel by default.

13 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Since I was lucky to win an alpha access, I could test a little - especially since NDA was lifted, though I won't suspect anything I post would breach NDA anyway - either way, feel free to Edit my message/PM me if anything is wrong, mods!

First of all, it turned you need some kind of Windows, be it physical or VM, to install the game, as the launcher is a 64-bit application that relies on .NET Framework 4, which can't be installed under 64-bit Wine prefix. After that, you can run the game directly from the executable in the installation folder.

Under wine, the game works. Which is actually nice! I don't know what performance loss is, but being able to play the game under Linux in any form is really welcome :). Unfortunately, upon trying to run the game natively via Linux unity player and libraries, I encountered the same error as @Interknet. I actually had to some extensive searching, as the files that Interknet posted weren't working for me and I had trouble finding the actual files needed for the requested engine version - which turned to be Unity 5.3.7p3. If anyone needs the files, here they are (these are just appropriately renamed files/folders from freely downloadable Unity player. Nothing from the actual EfT Alpha, I just renamed and repacked the files for your convenience).

The game launches fine, the unity logo pops in, but there is the same pink textures everywhere. You can click things and they actualkly work, there's even sound playing when clicking them - I assume you can type your login and pass there as well and successfully login to game, but I wouldn't suspect much would be working.

Either way, I'm eagerly waiting for the newest Unity 5.6 upgrade and Vulkan renderer :) Not only it'll improve the performance under Wine most likely, but maybe the native homemade "port" will start working or maybe even BSG will want to release the game on Linux? hint, hint ;). Until then, I am really glad I can play the game under Wine for the time being, since I wasn't really fond of dual booting or playing in a VM.

Can you not just use Mono instead of .NET?

Faalagorn
3 hours ago, KRDucky said:

Can you not just use Mono instead of .NET?

In Wine? I'm not sure if that's possible, as generally I think the application looks for NET framework explicitly. The real question is, is it possible to use mono instead of NET under Windows? If so, then it should be doable in wine as well.

Either way I tried installing NET framework manually in that prefix (gave me error) and via winetricks (said it's only available under 32-bit), but if anyone have an idea, feel free to try! I will worry when any patch comes, as right now I don't use launcher to play the game at all anyway :). I'll most likely just update the game via launcher under Windows in VM though.

HiddenBullet
22 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

In Wine? I'm not sure if that's possible, as generally I think the application looks for NET framework explicitly. The real question is, is it possible to use mono instead of NET under Windows? If so, then it should be doable in wine as well.

Either way I tried installing NET framework manually in that prefix (gave me error) and via winetricks (said it's only available under 32-bit), but if anyone have an idea, feel free to try! I will worry when any patch comes, as right now I don't use launcher to play the game at all anyway :). I'll most likely just update the game via launcher under Windows in VM though.

I meant outside of Wine.

Mono is often used to replace .NET in Linux. I know on my Linux Server, several server programs (Sonarr) for example, use Mono in Linux but .Net in Windows. Basically, you would just put "mono" before the exe file.

example:

mono --debug /opt/NzbDrone/NzbDrone.exe

Mono is on open implementation of Microsoft's .NET framework, including compilers for C#.NET and VB.NET. It uses the same development libraries on Linux that exist on Windows. This means that if you code and compiled some mono code on Linux, it will compile on Windows as well.

Faalagorn
9 hours ago, KRDucky said:

I meant outside of Wine.

Mono is often used to replace .NET in Linux. I know on my Linux Server, several server programs (Sonarr) for example, use Mono in Linux but .Net in Windows. Basically, you would just put "mono" before the exe file.

example:

mono --debug /opt/NzbDrone/NzbDrone.exe

Mono is on open implementation of Microsoft's .NET framework, including compilers for C#.NET and VB.NET. It uses the same development libraries on Linux that exist on Windows. This means that if you code and compiled some mono code on Linux, it will compile on Windows as well.

You got me curious and I tried various methods of running the launcher under Linux, but to no avail. Funny enough I get the same error trying to launch the launcher directly from Linux as Wine (tried it with and without debug switch, results are the same):

[faa[email protected] ~]$ mono --debug /home/faalagorn/drive1/EFT_Launcher.exe 
The entry point method could not be loaded due to Could not load file or assembly 'PresentationFramework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35' or one of its dependencies. assembly:PresentationFramework, Version=4.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=31bf3856ad364e35 type:<unknown type> member:<none>
[[email protected] ~]$ 

I never thought of running Windows .NET apps without Wine, I didn't even know it was possible with mono under Linux, so there's a chance I'm doing something wrong or missing something. I thought that .NET 4.0 might be a problem, since I think 4.0 is not supported anymore? But I didn't had luck with a different Windows .NET application, this time wrote for 4.5, RedditRandomNumberGiveawayHelper which didn't quite work, although with a different reason:

[[email protected] ~]$ mono --debug /home/faalagorn/RedditRandomNumberGiveawayHelper.exe 

Unhandled Exception:
System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'RedditRandomNumberGiveawayHelper.MainForm' from assembly 'RedditRandomNumberGiveawayHelper, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
[ERROR] FATAL UNHANDLED EXCEPTION: System.TypeLoadException: Could not load type 'RedditRandomNumberGiveawayHelper.MainForm' from assembly 'RedditRandomNumberGiveawayHelper, Version=1.0.0.0, Culture=neutral, PublicKeyToken=null'.
[[email protected] ~]$ 

I took a look at the software you mention, and seems they explicitly support Linux with guides how to run the app, so that might be a different case, as they probably make sure the software will work under Linux.

Speaking of which, maybe BattleStateGames could create a more simple, basic launcher/updater that would work under Linux for the time being during alpha/beta stages? Playing under Wine is obviously less than ideal, but having a working updater under Linux would prevent me to set up VM each time new update will be for Tarkov, just to update the game to run from Wine. Not sure if the topic is being actively read by the crew, but maybe it could be suggested to them directly? I'm fine with something crude with a basic functionality, it doesn't have any sort of GUI actually - I'd be just fine (if not even better!) for it to be a simple script/app just for checking the updates and downloading the required files when needed. Heck, I wouldn't even mind if it would just download the game at once instead of patching individual files, if that's simplier to make :).

Going back to playing EFT via wine, while it runs pretty solid for me, I thought I should mention two issues for those who wish to play it via Wine:

• First of all, don't be discouraged by a crash "error" that appears always when launching the game. Funny enough the game runs just fine and stable, although the error can't be closed as it'll close the game as well. Just ignore it - it should hide under game window - if not try to run the game with -popupwindow parameter to make it borderless, as it works for me
  • Secondly, there's one annoying bug that strangly isn't that much crippling as I thought, though may be annoying for others - each time you make any action with your mouse (clicking a button, scrolling mouse wheel or starting to move a mouse) your mouse will move a pixel down and right. Basically what that means is that you have to make a little heavier movements when trying to move mouse upward or left to counter it, while moving it down or right will be a little easier. I got used to it, so guess my muscle memory got used to it too. Also your mouse will move when scrolling to adjust height unless you use alt+W/D keybindings and shooting. Think of it as an extra recoil ;). It seems to be a bug with Wine and Unity engine, as i had the same issue with My Summer Car, though. Maybe It'll be fixed in future Wine releases, seeing as it may affect multiple versions - I didn't look if it was reported to wine team yet.
  • Upvote 1

Poganin_Lach

+1 more for linux support

• Upvote 2

lethu

Please can you tell me how you did make EFT run under wine, been months since I have been trying to make it run under it, but I seem to be stuck at the .NET 4.5 in win64 prefix problem. Thanks.

lethu

I have made it, I ran the executable (not the launcher) inside the game's directory, and found out that in order to fix the "recoil" effect when playing and after entering menus, you simply have to alt tab out of the game then in and it gets fixed. Hope this helps.

• Upvote 1

ogremeat

A big "YES" to Linux EFT!

Faalagorn

Will post here since that's still the main thread and NDA is lifted anyway - it seems that unfortunately the new launcher is as much problematic if not more than the old one to install the game under Linux sadly. I tried to follow the thing Ali Janah did under previous version in WineHQ AppDB. The launcher installs under 32-bit prefix only, and only when installing .NET 4.5.2 from winetricks (the regular way of auto-downloading .NET Framework stalls unable to download the required files), changing the version back to Windows 7 (winetricks switch version to Windows 2003 for the duration of  .NET framework install). The launcher installs fine afterwards (VS 2013 install itself), but then it refuses to launch under both 32-bit and 64-bit prefixes (wrong architecture under 32-bit and crashes on the newly created win64 prefix due to lack of .NET 4.5.2 which I found no way to install under 64-bit).

If anyone have got it to work, any tips are welcome :). Until then I will report back how the game works if I get my hands on a Windows PC so I can install the game and copy the files, the same way I did previously and report if/how the game runs afterwards.

• Upvote 1

Faalagorn

I just tried launching the game by adding the Unity Linux player files and surprisingly it works! Kinda :).

There's no purple screen when launching the game now(!) - the graphics show up fine, music plays, logging in works, creating a new character went flawlessly. You can go to your stash, overview, settings, buy and sell stuff from traders, however, when trying to launch a map it sadly throws an error. It actually seems to put your character into the raid (see screenshots), although the same error occurs when trying to join :(.

Also, for some weird reason when trying to inspect an item the game freezes beyond recovery, not throwing any error and have to be forcefully killed - it's kinda weird, as the 3D models of both the characters (in overview) and items (when repairing or insuring) show up, for example when trying the insurance option (you can rotate and zoom in the same as with inspect window).

Maybe I am missing some files or need to further tweak something - so far I only added the absolute basics - the x86_64 player executable, Mono/libmono.so and Plugins/ScreenSelector.so from the extracted 5.6.1p4 Unity files in the linux64_withgfx_nondevelopment_mono folder. I'm attaching all the extracted files so feel free to experiment! For more refer to the GOL's Unity Games Working On Linux (User Ported) wiki page @Interknet created some time ago :).

Anyway, that's a huge progress, probably thanks to the updated Unity engine - hopefully it will get some dev attention so we could play the game natively without resorting to adding files. Also, while the launcher sadly still refuses to work, it may not be that hard to port either, as what @KRDucky mentioned, the .NET support under Linux is really good thanks to the Mono project ;).

EDIT: For some reason the last scren is duplicate, sorry for that :/!

Screenshot from 2017-06-28 02-30-19.png

Screenshot from 2017-06-28 02-30-40.png

Screenshot from 2017-06-28 01-33-11.png

Screenshot from 2017-06-28 01-33-11.png

Edited by Faalagorn
Forgot to add the inventory screen!

Faalagorn

Sorry for posting third time in a row, but since it's all on a slightly different aspects, it might actually be good.

Unfortunately, after the good news, come the not-so good ones - while the game still starts under wine, it have a sever trouble, at least for me - probably because of the DX11 API which the support in Wine improving a lot, is still not as good as DX9 is.

The character models (both player and scavs) and inventory icons do not load at at all and are transparent - the only things visible are the floating weapons :P. It is all still functional, i.e. you can move items around and shoot a scav/player (funnily I managed to kill a scav and escape that way), but you don't get to see them at all - which is kinda funny actually, and as I pressume you are visible to everyone normally, an added extra difficulty :).

Also, there are some issues with mouse other than the slight "recoil" - I found it very hard to interact with items and menu items, with the mouse being slightly off every so often. Also, when switching between fullscreen and windowed, sometimes a bunch of artifacts pops at the top of the screen which disappear after series of going fullscreen and windowed. Funnily though, the framerate is actually better, so at least that's a plus :P.

For some reason I couldn't play as scav (the floating pistol one), but I pressume it's due to some unrelated server-related error.

I'm attaching the screenshots of that funniness below.

Screenshot from 2017-06-28 03-58-55.png

Screenshot from 2017-06-28 04-08-02.png

Screenshot from 2017-06-28 04-13-47.png

Screenshot from 2017-06-28 04-23-50.png

BustyChicksFTW

+1 For Linux Support.

The lack of Linux support in gaming is the only reason keeping me on Windows on my gaming PC. Otherwise I've been an Arch user at heart :)

• Upvote 1