WAUZZZI

Linux support?

Faalagorn
On 6/28/2017 at 5:23 PM, BustyChicksFTW said:

+1 For Linux Support.

The lack of Linux support in gaming is the only reason keeping me on Windows on my gaming PC. Otherwise I've been an Arch user at heart :)

I steal my wife's dual boot PC as I'm too lazy to bother dual booting and don't like it taking 10+GB for it :D

• Upvote 2

Faalagorn

I re-tested the game under Wine, this time trying the "-force-d3d9" parameter to launching the game. From the good news, the mouse issues are gone and both items and models load (both in menus and in-game). Also, since the most recent Wine finally got the mouse issue for Unity games solved, the mouse won't sway 1 pixel down and right whenever you interact with your mouse.

Unfortunately, that's all the good news - while the game loads the rest of the game is, well, playable, but in the bright shade of pink :). There are also various effects not working properly and if you bump the options higher, a bright light actually prevent you from seeing almost anything, at least on Factory :P. I've made an imgur album showcasing it, so you can see it yourself.

So currently, when it comes to playing the game under Wine you got two options - without player models and inventory icons and with some weird mouse issues while trying to click things or drag items in inventory, or with player models and mouse without any issues, yet with most textures and effects missing.

I have the most hope in getting the "native" version to run - I think there might be some issue with the game not seeing some files properly, as otherwise it seems to work just fine. If anyone tried running the game that way, let me know your findings!

EDIT: Okay, I'm stupid. I did test -force-glcore and -force-gles before as well (they don't work the game don't even start), but forgot to test the new -force-vulkan switch! And it turned out the game works just fine under Wine with it :D. There is some stutter with it, that might either be related to the problems devs discussed about, or just the fact that it's running in Wine and my system is misconfigured, but hey, it works! That means it's possible to play the game again without resorting to a WIndows PC, thanks to Vulkan! :D Now to just find it to run natively, without resorting to Wine ;).

Edited by Faalagorn
EDIT
  • Upvote 1

BustyChicksFTW
On 7/9/2017 at 8:48 PM, Faalagorn said:

I re-tested the game under Wine, this time trying the "-force-d3d9" parameter to launching the game. From the good news, the mouse issues are gone and both items and models load (both in menus and in-game). Also, since the most recent Wine finally got the mouse issue for Unity games solved, the mouse won't sway 1 pixel down and right whenever you interact with your mouse.

Unfortunately, that's all the good news - while the game loads the rest of the game is, well, playable, but in the bright shade of pink :). There are also various effects not working properly and if you bump the options higher, a bright light actually prevent you from seeing almost anything, at least on Factory :P. I've made an imgur album showcasing it, so you can see it yourself.

So currently, when it comes to playing the game under Wine you got two options - without player models and inventory icons and with some weird mouse issues while trying to click things or drag items in inventory, or with player models and mouse without any issues, yet with most textures and effects missing.

I have the most hope in getting the "native" version to run - I think there might be some issue with the game not seeing some files properly, as otherwise it seems to work just fine. If anyone tried running the game that way, let me know your findings!

EDIT: Okay, I'm stupid. I did test -force-glcore and -force-gles before as well (they don't work the game don't even start), but forgot to test the new -force-vulkan switch! And it turned out the game works just fine under Wine with it :D. There is some stutter with it, that might either be related to the problems devs discussed about, or just the fact that it's running in Wine and my system is misconfigured, but hey, it works! That means it's possible to play the game again without resorting to a WIndows PC, thanks to Vulkan! :D Now to just find it to run natively, without resorting to Wine ;).

• Upvote 1

Faalagorn

As you can probably see in my updated /r/linux_gaming post @BustyChicksFTW linked above, it turned out the issue was simple (although weird) - you simply have to move or copy the …/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/StreamingAssets/Windows/maps directory one level up, so it ends up in …/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/StreamingAssets/maps or else the Linux version won't be able to load the map. After it, it works!

Since the game was updated to the latest Unity version with the newest hotfix (undocumented but welcome change, yay!) – 5.6.2p2 – here's the required Linux files, as well – just extract and replace the files when asked – or not, as I think the replaced files are not needed to be replaced, but I included them just in case :) (only adding the executable and 3 .so files should be mandatory, in appropriate directories - feel free to test, as I already have mine replaced!).

Here's the commented album of me playing the game under Linux natively :).

Unfortunately, the same issues that occurs under Windows or Wine with -force-vulkan are seen there (as the native Linux version can only run Vulkan version – there's no OpenGL implemented).

Two game breaking issues are the heavy stuttering every few seconds (which seems to be pretty regular, maybe the game tries to report something and stutters? Or use something it can't? For now I haven't found the fix for it, but it seems to appear both under Wine and most likely Windows too with -force-vulkan) and inability to inspect items both in menus and in raids which hangs the game (it can either be forcefully -9 killed or wait a minute or few for it to close itself). Opening backpack, insuring items and modyfying weapons works though, so it seems like some unhanded bug in Vulkan version (it appears in Wine and Windows on my wife's PC too).

The game can also freeze when loading maps or closing itself, but giving it enough time, it will complete it. The game also won't load maps when all VRAM gets used, that's why I had to resort to medium or low textures for my tests (not sure if it affects Wine/Windows as I always played with low-medium settings before).

Other than that, it seems the performance is actually good! I tried both the low and ultra graphics and except that stutter it runs at decent FPS – unfortunately I didn't had anything to monitor FPS set up so I'll check that later, but both Factory on ultra and customs on lowest were definitely playable. The game also evenly distributed the load into all 4 cores, so the only thing that was limiting me in my tests was GPU. The game used a ton of memory too, but that was the case in previous main 0.1.0.1403 "Scav" alpha patch (with DX9 under Wine) as well.

I really hope that Battle State Games, maybe with the help of Unity, will eventually goes back to fiddling with Vulkan and fix the issues, as I'm really happy how it could work though! With all these issues, I'm not surprised that they didn't make it public, but I'm still positively surprised how it works for an unannounced change :). No graphical issues, low CPU usage and what it seems to be a pretty decent framerate! The game also run pretty stable after it loaded – no sudden and unexpected crashes after 30 minutes or so of my Customs maps.

Knowing that the GPU is a first thing I want to replace in my PC and that Vulkan technology itself can only improve (in drivers, Unity and hardware – awaiting AMD's Vega and Khronos' conference at SIGGRAPH this month!), it's really promising to see it EfT – especially for Linux support but probably for Windows users (especially those with newer GPUs) as well :).

Also, I'm attaching the logs I got from running the last game during the tests I made (customs in offline mode) just in case – maybe it will help someone troubleshoot these issues or heck, even BSG will find them useful? I'll also be playing the game tomorrow or day after to see how it is online (I'm certain it works, as I already tested that under Wine though - sadly with the same issues :P) and see how's the FPS, so in an unlikely event you get killed by me, know that in addition to my usual crappiness I also had a heavy stutter on top of it :D.

Player.log

07.13 23-30-30 application.log

07.13 23-30-30 errors.log

07.13 23-30-30 traces.log

• Upvote 2

SPT_molchanoviv

@Faalagorn awesome work dude. Today evening or tomorrow I'll try to run the game under Linux by your instruction and post the result here.

SPT_molchanoviv

Ghm. It just quits with the following messages without any errors.

Цитата

Found path: /home/ivan/Games/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov
Mono path[0] = '/home/ivan/Games/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/ivan/Games/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/ivan/Games/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/Mono/etc'
Preloaded 'ScreenSelector.so'
Player data archive not found at `/home/ivan/Games/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystem

Faalagorn
4 hours ago, molchanoviv said:

Ghm. It just quits with the following messages without any errors.

Hm, these indeed aren't errors. Can you verify you can run other Vulkan games fine on your distro? Maybe that's the issue (though I think you should get an error nevertheless) - here's a rough links of Vulkan games, but you can try running some Vulkan demo probably too (like some actual Unity Vulkan demo).

SPT_molchanoviv
1 час назад, Faalagorn сказал:

Hm, these indeed aren't errors. Can you verify you can run other Vulkan games fine on your distro? Maybe that's the issue (though I think you should get an error nevertheless) - here's a rough links of Vulkan games, but you can try running some Vulkan demo probably too (like some actual Unity Vulkan demo).

Tried to execute The Talos Principle. It works perfectly. But EFT just quits with 0 exit status. I use RX480+AMDGPU-pro+RADV Vulkan.

Faalagorn
1 minute ago, molchanoviv said:

Tried to execute The Talos Principle. It works perfectly. But EFT just quits with 0 exit status. I use RX480+AMDGPU-pro+RADV Vulkan.

Hm, I didn't had those problems, as after the recent hotfix patch I simply copied the updated files from my wife's PC I played before, but you may try to re-install/download the game fully to see if it changes anything. You can also try to manually extract the Unity files, in case I bundled the wrong ones - the instructions are here.

Also, you may see if running strace helps you track the issue, as someone suggested me before or checking the permissions.

Also, what comes on top off my head - I remember some file system (XFS?) having problems with large files in one game - not sure what are the biggest file sizes for EfT are, but you can check that too. My game is installed on btrfs SSD and seems not to cause problems by that.

Faalagorn

After browsing a forum, I realized that I was actually running a little older version, as the patch 0.2.49.223 was silently released, so I took this opportunity to re-test things out – I tried if the non-binary files are indeed not needed and they indeed aren't. You still have to move the maps folder though. The Unity version didn't change, so new files are not needed. Other than that, nothing has improved, but nothing has broke either, things seems to work the same without those extra files.

So, with this opportunity I re-packaged the files without the files, so there's no need to overwrite the original files which hopefully reduce any potential problems/confusion in future and slightly reduced the archive size :). I also added a short readme with basic instructions and link to this thread, if someone will share directly to the archive :). Keep in mind you do not need the new files if you already have them, as nothing has changed there (these are the same executables, just without the extra files, with extra Readme.txt and different archive name).

Here's the updated archive for those that didn't download the original one:

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B6NEi4vM86_bQWZDMG9JT3Q5YUk

• Upvote 2

f1r3w4ll

me coloco a disposiçaõ para testar as versões for linux, utilizei muito steamOS jogando cs go. alguma coisa sobre Escape from tarkov tambem ter parceria com a steam?

Faalagorn

Since the new update came, I did a fresh game install and tried to fiddle more with the launcher.

The good news is that I figured why the launcher isn't working with mono - "The entry point method could not be loaded due to Could not load file or assembly 'PresentationFramework…" error tells that the mono can't load the Windows Presentation Framework (WPF) which is a framework used to make a GUI for the launcher. Sadly the WPF is Windows-only and Mono does not plan to support it at all at this moment, so while the core launcher functionality could stay the same to work natively with Mono under Linux and Mac (and with mono on Windows), the GUI would require being rewritten into some more platform-neutral technology. There were some discussions about porting WPF to other platforms, but no project was successful and there's generally low willingness to make it happen, including Microsoft which is actually the Mono owners sadly.

Unfortunately the launcher doesn't work under Wine as well, since it is compiled to work only under 64-bit environments and it's only possible to install .NET Framework 4.5/4.5.2 required to run the launcher under 32-bit Wine prefix (with winetricks). It install fine under 32-bit prefix, but the launcher refuses to launch both under the existing 32-bit prefix (due to being 64-bit appliation) as well as copied to the 64-bit one (due to lack of .NET Framework). It seems that it is possible to install .NET Framework 4.0 via winetricks on 64-bit prefix, but sadly that doesn't help either.

There is a tool called CorFlags, as well as a cross-platform re-implementation called xCorFlags that works under Mono (although I had some problems with the latter) that can read and set the 32-bit required flags to the compiled executable, but even when setting the "32BITREQ" flag to 1, the launcher won't start under Wine, which leaves you to installing a Virtual machine to download a game. Here's the excerpt of how the flags were set and how I changed them (sadly both don't work, probably since the launcher executable is compiled as PE32+ which signalizes a 64-bit only executable):

Version   : v4.0.30319
CLR Header: 2.5
PE        : PE32+
CorFlags  : 0x3
ILONLY    : 1
32BITREQ  : 1
32BITPREF : 0
Signed    : 0

With /32BIT+ switch:

Version   : v4.0.30319                                                                                               
CLR Header: 2.5                                                                                                      
PE        : PE32+                                                                                                    
CorFlags  : 0x1                                                                                                      
ILONLY    : 1                                                                                                        
32BITREQ  : 0                                                                                                        
32BITPREF : 0                                                                                                        
Signed    : 0   

However, thanks to Wireshark, I was able to find the URL launcher uses to download the game! I won't post the direct link here, for obvious reasons, but it's similar to the URL required to download the launcher and leads to a Client.0.2.67.302.zip file which contains all the files packed that work just fine after extraction :).

I know that having a launcher is very convenient and preferred way to use to keep the game up to date by developers, but since there is no way to run the the launcher under Linux and Mac, either natively or with Wine, and we all know that once the game is downloaded it is possible to launch the game directly anyway ignoring, the launcher (and each time a new big patch is released you get an error signalizing you need to download a new version anyway), could it beOther than that, the good and bad news is that nothing changed as far as the game goes. It still works with Vulkan under Linux possible to add a direct download link somewhere officially? On one hand I understand that you may want people to avoid re-downloading whole game each time a new patch is released both to avoid annoyance and server load, or sharing the link with others (though the latter could be easily alleviated with requirement to be logged in to download the file), but on the other hand it still is possible to find the link now anyway with the way I did it, and since my internet is fast enough I want to download a fresh version each time a new patch is released either way and actually in addition with requiring me to go through loops to that, it's actually the opposite for me, since I cause the extra load downloading a new launcher each time in addition to the game :P.

So, TL;DR: Since the direct link to the game files exist anyway, could you please add this link officially somewhere on the profiles? I don't mind it being extra hidden (or maybe only appear for browsers that don't identify client PC as Windows?) to encourage people to use the launcher in the first place. That would make my life and other possible Linux/SteamOS/Mac/FreeBSD/whatever testers a lot easier each patch and would avoid you trouble to create a Mac/Windows launcher :). Thank you very much for any possible reply @Blackb1rd @Kleanuppguy @ArmaSwiss or anyone else, hope you don't mind tagging and could pass the idea to website development person :).

Other than that, the good and bad news is that nothing changed as far as the game goes. It still works with Vulkan under Linux with the files I linked before since the Unity engine didn't change, still require moving the maps folder and unfortunately still crashes when trying to inspect the item. It seems that the stuttering is still there, though I didn't test that extensively yet, especially with the Shoreline map, but I imagine that Vulkan wasn't really touched due to other, more pressing issues. It's still there, so that's good! Wine unfortunately still have the issues with game even with latest wine-staging 2.13, both with default DX11 and -force-d3d9 option too, which I showed above, too.

• Upvote 1

HiddenBullet

It would also allow Linux Testers etc to work on making a Linux/Mac Specific launcher or just an OpenSource, platform agnostic launcher. Maybe using QT?

Caike

Seems like they updated their unity version to 5.6.3p3, so you need newer files to play. I uploaded the needed files here, but it doesn't seem to work for me. I get a graphics initialization error on launch, with logging enabled. (You can get more detailed logging with "-logfile eft.log")

Set current directory to /home/caike/arch-data/Games/Escape-from-Tarkov/EFT
Found path: /home/caike/arch-data/Games/Escape-from-Tarkov/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov
Mono path[0] = '/home/caike/arch-data/Games/Escape-from-Tarkov/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/caike/arch-data/Games/Escape-from-Tarkov/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/caike/arch-data/Games/Escape-from-Tarkov/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/Mono/etc'
Player data archive not found at `/home/caike/arch-data/Games/Escape-from-Tarkov/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystemDesktop is 1920 x 1080 @ 60 Hz
[Vulkan init] extensions: count=14
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_EXT_acquire_xlib_display, enabled=0
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_EXT_debug_report, enabled=0
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_EXT_direct_mode_display, enabled=0
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_EXT_display_surface_counter, enabled=0
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_KHR_display, enabled=1
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_KHR_get_physical_device_properties2, enabled=0
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_KHR_get_surface_capabilities2, enabled=0
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_KHR_surface, enabled=1
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_KHR_xcb_surface, enabled=0
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_KHR_xlib_surface, enabled=1
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_KHX_device_group_creation, enabled=0
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_KHR_external_fence_capabilities, enabled=0
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_KHR_external_memory_capabilities, enabled=0
[Vulkan init] extensions: name=VK_KHR_external_semaphore_capabilities, enabled=0
Vulkan detection: 2
Initialize engine version: 5.6.3p3 (88d4ddf6344a)
Forcing GfxDevice: Vulkan
Forced GfxDevice 'Vulkan' was not built from editor, shaders will not be available

(Filename:  Line: 634)

PlayerInitEngineGraphics: InitializeEngineGraphics failed
Failed to initialize player

• Thanks 1

Faalagorn

I had a break from the game, but decided to test things up today. It seems they decided to not to build or remove both Vulkan and D3D9 renderers, leaving only D3D11.

Running the native version returns "No supported renderers found, exiting" while running the game with "-force-vulkan" under wine returns InitializeEngineGraphics failed (same as with d3d9 or any other renderer for the matter). Strangly enough, trying to force D3D12 under Wine results in no error, but since Wine does not support D3D12 at all, it falls back to D3D11.

Initialize engine version: 5.6.3p3 (88d4ddf6344a)
Forcing GfxDevice: Direct3D 12
d3d12: no D3D12 installed.
Direct3D:
    Version:  Direct3D 11.0 [level 11.1]

Not sure what is the standard Unity behaviour on trying to force D3D12, so someone would have to check that if that works under Windows.

While kinda understandable that BSG doesn't want to keep the broken renderers for compatibility reasons, it's kind shame that Vulkan got removed. Still, either OpenGL or Metal will be needed to included, if they decide to publish the Mac version as advertised, as there's no DirectX on Macs either.

As far as Wine goes, I still didn't had luck trying to launch the launcher under Wine – it is possible to install it and the Visual C++ Redistributable installs fine as well either invoked during installation or winetricks, however installing .NET Framework 4.5.2 still proves troublesom – it is possible to install it with winetricks (the appropriate DLLs ends up being copied), which needs a lot of quirks, but the launcher still doesn't run – for some reason it still throws errors despite me changing DLL overrides in wine and moving the files around under Wine, though maybe I simply missed something. As always, the launcher doesn't work in 32-bit WINE prefix and doesn't work with Mono either.

However, since my old link to Client.0.2.67.302.zip still work, I assume that there is still possible to download the game directly without launcher, assuming you know the download link launcher uses which unfortunately isn't shown anywhere and you have to track the packets with a tool lik Wireshark... Plus the link contains a random ID in hexadecimal aaaaaaaa-bbbb-cccc-dddd-eeeeeeeeeeee string, similar to launcher download link on your profile, so I'm reluctant to post them publicly. It would be nice if it would be possible to download the game without the launcher officially, though.

With no D3D9 either, the compatibility in Wine is dependent on D3D11 version. Luckily, it seems that the mouse issues are gone, so I'll test how it perform under the latest Wine (2.19-staging as of writing, with 2.20 soon to follow, but I don't think it changes anything relevant).

Faalagorn

It seems I can't edit my post, but just wanted to let you know that while the mouse issues are indeed gone, it seems that I am unable to get past the login screen – the new loading screen shows, I can enter my credential and the sound can be heard upon hovering the buttons and for the first time I can exit the game properly, but the game crashes after pressing "next". After importing the registry settings found in HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\Battlestate Games in my old Wine prefix it caused the fields to fill automatically (which should not require new device authentication too), but the game still crashes.

Passing the -silent-crashes flag didn't help either – it prevented the Unity error from appearing, but the game still crash.

I'll try again tomorrow in a new prefix and will attach the logs, but at this moment it seems that after initial successes, it's impossible to play EfT in the current build without resorting to installing Windows unfortunately.

HiddenBullet

it is a shame that they have stopped the Vulkan build

Faalagorn
On 11/25/2017 at 4:59 PM, KRDucky said:

it is a shame that they have stopped the Vulkan build

Yeah. I hope they will at least give it a second try somewhere down the road. I also wonder which route they go for MacOS – OpenGL or Metal? And if they ever decide to release for PS4 or Switch then there's no DirectX there either. I guess when they updated Unity they either explicitly removed the other renderers to focus on polishing one (DX9 is gone too), or simple due to fact of the bugs they won't troubleshoot yet.

The DX12 (-force-d3d12) that seems to be at least partially there, as it don't give error about not being supported, doesn't even launched for me last build under Windows (Enterprise LSBT evaluation, may give a try under regular Windows Pro and Patch 0.41 later), but seeing as it's in a worse state than Vulkan (not even launching), they might just had it enabled by default by Unity and didn't even do a testing.

As much as it's understandable they are working hard preparing for open beta eventually, with a lot of features yet to add to the game, it would certainly be nice to have some kind of official response about the future of renderers and other platforms support (including Mac, as they keep the logo) somewhere down the road, even vague ones, since the last mention of Linux is this thread and a Russian interview reposted by GamingOnLinux back in 2016 and Vulkan was mentioned at the interview with Kiba and your Twitter response, not sure about Mac as I don't own or known anyone with a macOS :).

In other news, it seems that the game doesn't launch at all in Wine, freezing and crashing upon boot, which is sad as even the DX11 version used to work. I made a thread on Wine forum about the error and regularly update the AppDB entry.

Faalagorn

By the way, Unity engine was updated to 5.6.4p1, so I'm posting the updated files, unfortunately due to lack of OpenGL/OpenGLES/Vulkan the game does not run on Linux.

Set current directory to /home/faalagorn/.wineeft/drive_c/EFT
Found path: /home/faalagorn/.wineeft/drive_c/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov
Mono path[0] = '/home/faalagorn/.wineeft/drive_c/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/Managed'
Mono path[1] = '/home/faalagorn/.wineeft/drive_c/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/Mono'
Mono config path = '/home/faalagorn/.wineeft/drive_c/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/Mono/etc'
Player data archive not found at `/home/faalagorn/.wineeft/drive_c/EFT/EscapeFromTarkov_Data/data.unity3d`, using local filesystemDesktop is 1920 x 1080 @ 59 Hz
Unknown renderer 2

(Filename:  Line: 314)

No supported renderers found, exiting

(Filename:  Line: 531)

Will update the post with the D3D12 status under Windows later (not relevant per se, but worth noting since Vulkan, DX12 and Metal are much similar to each other being a low level API, the main differences are from Unity implementation).

Edited by Faalagorn
Forgot the link
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Faalagorn

Can't update the previous post, but it seems that D3D12 while can be forced on, does not work and crashes soon after the loading screen, leaving only DX11 as the only optioon for the time being. I'm pretty sure it's not my side, since I was using Windows 10 and my card (GTX 960) should work just fine with DX12 (which is reported correctly by dxdiag), but I never tested any DX12 app/game.

Faalagorn

Just reporting, tested the game freshly with Hotfix 0.4.2.717 but everything is the same, i.e. the Unity version didn't change and the game is still refusing to run on wine. I tried to pinpoint the issue more this time, and it seems that what might prevent the game from logging in on wine is the EFT_randomstring.dll file that creates in Temp under wine, as that's what Unity reports in their logs as one of the DLLs stack, and the game crashes by the time it's being created. I'm not sure if it is the real cause here, as the game used to work in wine before, but maybe that's related to some under the hood changes I'm not aware (anticheat? hardware verification?) that Wine may have trouble with. I'll forward that to wine forum and keep on tinkering with wine for the time being and observing things, unless someone have the idea ofc :).

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1