WAUZZZ8CB4

Linux support?

Faalagorn

I didn't had time to play again, plus I got problems with my PC, but nothing really changed with the most recent version. Unity got updated to 5.6.4p3, Vulkan (or any OpenGL) renderers are still not present and the game crashes under Wine 3.0rc4.

Here are updated 5.6.4p3 Linux files nonetheless.

HiddenBullet

hopefully they re-enable the Vulkan renderer

kask

Any luck now that Wine 3.0 is released (Direct3D 10 and 11 support)? I would instantly switch back to Linux if EfT would run on it.

Edited by kask

HiddenBullet

it is worth testing to see if EFT will run under Wine

Skepticale

It would be fantastic if this game could run with a native client. Currently there are no good PvP shooters for Linux like this and to be honest I just need 1 to drop Windows from my machine and know I can have a good time gaming on my preferred Ubuntu installation. I have bought the game and currently duel boot which is a pain in the rear.

j0hnny_r3db34rd

I refuse to dual boot, but I purchased the Edge of Darkness package to show my support for a Linux client.

Faalagorn

My PC broke, so I was on a laptop that can't really play any modern games well – turned out the culprit was my new GPU, so I'll be replacing it – until then I'm on integrated Intel waiting for a replacement. Either way, I couldn't test EFT for the last month, but if you see my previous post, I did test at 3.0rc4 – not sure if much changed since then, unless they nailed the specific bug that was causing EFT not to start (I suspected anticheat, as that's what I believe is preventing Contract Wars and Hired Ops from starting, but I'm not sure since EFT used to work some time ago).

Anyway, what I will want to test next is DXVK (which recently started working with Nier Automata and DX11 Unigine benchmarks and was tested with a few other games), preferably when wine-staging catches up to wine 3.0, as it's currently (as of late January 2018) stuck at 2.21. I'll also do a fresh install, switching to F2FS since my Btrfs SSD partition got broken, which should exclude at least a part of potential troubles my system could cause. As usual, I'll also take a look if for some reason Vulkan (or OpenGL/GLES) were re-added again. It may or may not take me a while though, so feel free to do tests yourself. I'll also be setting GPU passthrough again, not to fiddle with a Windows on spare HDD, but I'd rather prefer using Linux directly, even at performance costs :).

I'd love EFT to get direct Vulkan support at one point anyway though, as that would ease things up for Linux, for more details see this thread:

• Like 1

hello_marmalade

As someone who mostly runs Linux, and lately has only really been in Windows for the past 3 weeks, expressly for the purpose of running EFT for hours - I'd like to let it be known that I would really love to see Vulkan/Linux support.

• Like 2

HiddenBullet

With VulkanDX11 wrapper and DX11 for Wine now being a thing, it would be a real shame not to make a port.

Shwaggy

Would also love to see this on linux

Faalagorn
On 5/26/2018 at 2:39 AM, toovs said:

any updates on this?

Nothing official that I'm aware of. I didn't have time to fiddle with Wine and "native" Unity "port" of EFT, but unless they add Vulkan back or implement OpenGL (for Mac, but they might as well fiddle with Metal), the most promising thing to play currently is DXVK which has seen a lot of development, but yeah, I'd love to see some official stance on that somewhere down the road, as the engine is multi-platform and so is their language of choise for the launcher (C#/.NET, although you have to use cross-platform libraries). At this point, I'm a bit thinking if their own anti-cheat solution isn't causing a little bit of trouble, as it's the reason that's presumably causing Contract Wars and Hired Ops not to run (my limited tests here), and I'm pretty sure at least some code is being shared, as even if BSG divereged from AbsolutSoft now,  Contract Wars is where some of the developers got their initial experience from.

I didn't even launch EFT to check if the engine version was updated, but I noticed this video earlier:

and the follow up video today: 

In the first one, there's a mentioned unity engine version @ 7:28

(and additional talks about the game performance prior to this) – there's been also some talks about 2018 unity engine in 

which mentioned the performance update, which would be benefical as the new Unity engines comes with improved Vulkan and Linux support.

Other than that, there's been no word I'm aware about the Mac version, but there's still a logo on the bottom of https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/ and http://www.battlestategames.com/ stating that they may want to go with multiplatform route anyway and with Vulkan support on Mac nowadays (thanks to Valve opensourcing MoltenVK), it may even be feasible to go for Vulkan down the road, especially if they want to target consoles other than Xbox somewhere down the road.

For more info, you can watch 

where I often add a few tidbits about Unity and Vulkan information. 

• Upvote 1

tomharris

I would outright pre-order this game right now if Linux support is confirmed.

+1 for Linux!

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

f1r3w4ll

suporte para linux por favor.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Th3Assass1nX

Would love to see this game on Linux. 

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Faalagorn

So I just re-tested the game today. The good news is that I finally figured how to properly install newest .NET framework under 64-bit Wine prefix by following this guide, so the launcher installs without errors and at least try to launch displaying the loading splash screen. However, that's as far as I got since the next time I got crashes from CefSharp.BrowserSubprocess.exe, and it seems that while CEF (Chromium Embedded Framework) works just fine in Linux (Steam uses it for example), that particular implementation of it, CefSharp is Windows-only as Mono is supported, so we can add this to the list of issues with Launcher preventing it from being multiplatform (the other is using WPF, which I mentioned earlier). I wonder how they come over with the plan for Mac support, as it'd clearly require a separate launcher as well.

With that in mind, although there was a slight progress you still have to rely to Windows installation (VM or elsewhere), to get the game files. The download servers with game files changed from 

http://cdn-X.escapefromtarkov.com/ClientDistribs/A.B.C.D_UUID/Client.A.B.C.D.zip

to 

http://cdn-X.eft-store.com/ClientDistribs/A.B.C.D_UUID/Client.A.B.C.D.zip

since the last time reported. The UUID is different than the one in your profile that does to the launcher, so you still have to capture it via capturing the packets (e.g. with Wireshark) of the running Windows interface at the time the launcher is downloading the game, if you want to download the game without it – the UUID seems to be unchanging and not related to your profile, but I won't be the one sharing it nevertheless.

Unity version was updated to 5.6.5p3 but Vulkan is still disabled, and I wouldn't count for OpenGL to be added alongside the Mac version either (whenever it comes!), seeing as it's deprecated now (nor OpenGLES as I don't see running Escape from Tarkov on Android any time soon either!), resulting in game not launching due to lack of renderers, nevertheless, here's a files if you want to try.

When it comes to Wine though, it's even harder to test it than before, because the game won't run without launcher now. Trying to launch the game results in "Login failed. Use launcher, please." message when running it. That was using vanilla Wine, but until this gets resolved, I don't see much point in testing it in wine-staging and/or DXVK further.

Edited by Faalagorn
Wording

NcA

Has anybody managed to revisit this using Valve's newly released Proton?

m00s
On 8/25/2018 at 1:26 AM, NcA said:

Has anybody managed to revisit this using Valve's newly released Proton?

actually I did, with wine 3.13 and proton 3.7

got it working. then i was playing with friends  and  suddenly I lost connection and got a message shown about cheating.
I have read about that they use their own AC-Engine. So we are stuck there now..

• Upvote 1

m00s
On 8/26/2018 at 8:46 PM, m00s said:

actually I did, with wine 3.13 and proton 3.7

got it working. then i was playing with friends  and  suddenly I lost connection and got a message shown about cheating.
I have read about that they use their own AC-Engine. So we are stuck there now.

Today I tried again, and didn't got kicked! Not really sure, because I was only able to play like 10 minutes.
Problem is that I was not able to see  characters anymore..I only see their weapons and helmets.

HiddenBullet

I'd be down for testing with Proton or DXVK except for the potential for getting banned for not using Winblows Virus OS.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

esavier

This thread, not easy to find, but interesting indeed :)

before 0.9 i was able to play on early version of Proton + Wine, but right now it refuses to launch, probably because of AC added to the game, although 0.8 was working almost good, if things won't go south, there is good probability that in the future tarkov can be emulated on linux :D

Used setup:

Nvidia 1080Ti, 32Gb DDR4, I7-8700K, (not really important)

Only True Linux Distro: Debian Testing

valve's Proton, DXVK, wine, dual arch setup + libraries

encountered bugs - weirdly often disconnects, full screen only, loading was slow AF, no sound at all, and everything lagged, and amount of work put in to this was humongous...

...still, this is beta. For now, chill your vodka, and let the Nikita do his magic. If community does not die out to this time, I bet alfa will run on linux as well.

Meanwhile, be safe, play BEAR, and see you in tarkov !

• Like 1