Jump to content
HeavyHDx

Linux support?

Recommended Posts

Faalagorn
6 hours ago, Eremita said:

I have a Nvidia 765M GTX, and I am using the nvidia-396 driver. Thanks for reply!

You definitely should try updating to more recent drivers (400+, actually 410+), I have a feeling it can help you there :). What distro are you using? For Ubuntu and the like (Mint, pop, zorin…) you might want to use a ppa with drivers see for example Valve's guide for Proton at https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Requirements, and for rolling release distros (especially Arch et al) , just make sure you are having the up to date system with latest drivers from the repo (just use the generic nvidia package and make sure you don't run nvidia install script, as it's always better to install up to date drivers from even 3rd party repos)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eremita
23 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

You definitely should try updating to more recent drivers (400+, actually 410+), I have a feeling it can help you there :). What distro are you using? For Ubuntu and the like (Mint, pop, zorin…) you might want to use a ppa with drivers see for example Valve's guide for Proton at https://github.com/ValveSoftware/Proton/wiki/Requirements, and for rolling release distros (especially Arch et al) , just make sure you are having the up to date system with latest drivers from the repo (just use the generic nvidia package and make sure you don't run nvidia install script, as it's always better to install up to date drivers from even 3rd party repos)

Oh thanks I was afraid to install the 415 (I thought it was less featured than 396 or 418) but in your link I see is recommended. I could install it as I already have the Canonical PPA for GPU drivers, I will try the next weekend (or maybe before that) and tell you. :unice:

I use Kubuntu 18.04 btw.

Edited by Eremita
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn

BTW, for those running the bleeding edge wine – it seems that after I updated to the recent wine from TkGlitch PKGBUILDs (4.3+) the lancher stopped working for me. It did again when I went down to 4.2 but as it's the most recent wine/staging git, I don't know what revision could possibly break it for me. I'll try reinstalling the game later to see if that could help (plus I guess fresh game install can always help, especially as the 11.5 patch was inbetween), but I don't know when I'll have some time, so just leaving a note here. If anyone want to bisect wine version it might be worth filling bug report for wine/staging when appropriate.

I also had some issues rendering items in menus for quite a while now, but it didn't really bother me that much as it only occurs for some items in stash, but it become more obvious in 11.5. I will see, maybe reinstall and clean DXVK cache will help, I was also scared whether my GPU was failing, but I think it's just the DXVK + mesa on AMD with Tarkov, as I don't have any problems in other games. I may try switching to stable mesa drivers to see if they are the issue, or just use amd DDX drivers.

Either way, if anyone else is gaming on AMD and Linux and had the same problems, feel free to share :).

2019-03-06[21-30] (1).png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCAV_AI
On 1/4/2019 at 10:14 PM, JohnMatrix said:

Sorry guys, i hadn't much time the last few days, so couldn't do as much as i hoped.
I started working on an EfT Installscript, which will automate most of the tasks to get this game running.

The extreme stuttering appeared with the last Patch they released a few days ago. This is not a Linux specific problem, happens on Windows too and depends on the server/region you are playing.

At the moment i'am playing EfT on Wine4.0-rc4 and this make a huge difference in the overall performance.
I found out, that the Proton 3.16-6 has some issues with the Unity Engine and the mouse movement and only appears on the new "Labs" map, which caused your mouse to drift to the upper right / lower right and makes the game completely unplayable on this map. so i switched to Wine Staging 4.0-rc4 which has a fix applied for this issue.


 

i was just wondering if you have made that install script? 

im having a real hard time getting EfT to work on manjaro xfce

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
On 3/8/2019 at 5:34 AM, SCAV_AI said:

i was just wondering if you have made that install script? 

im having a real hard time getting EfT to work on manjaro xfce

Not me who made it, but I tried that install script yesterday and it works surprisingly flawless at Arch. Manjaro is known for a tad older packages. What is your kernel and driver version?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCAV_AI
12 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Not me who made it, but I tried that install script yesterday and it works surprisingly flawless at Arch. Manjaro is known for a tad older packages. What is your kernel and driver version?

i think my only trouble to begin with on Manjaro, swapped to mint on a whim to fix it. it worked but it was weird to me and seemed to have borked an installation of opensuse. the script does to a bang up job now, though a problem with me is consistant. a lack of understanding on how to work with github.

but as it stands i have seemingly repaired an opensuse install by booting from the usb iso and selecting the upgrade path after yast2 managing to uninstall itself?

i might try going back to manjaro

i ended up getting that installer working on opensuse tumbleweed
kernal: 4.20.13-1-default
NVIDIA driver 418.43 on Gnome.

the biggest problem i have now is the dxvk thing still, and the whole github deal
in tumbleweed i get

Build type: cross build
Project name: dxvk
Project version: v1.0

meson.build:1:0: ERROR:  Unknown compiler(s): [['x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc']]
The follow exceptions were encountered:
Running "x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc --version" gave "[Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc': 'x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc'"

in the meson log. have not had time to deal with that yet because time is a jaded soul.

Still...might just go back to manjaro. how is it running or your system now?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
4 hours ago, SCAV_AI said:

the biggest problem i have now is the dxvk thing still, and the whole github deal
in tumbleweed i get

Build type: cross build
Project name: dxvk
Project version: v1.0

meson.build:1:0: ERROR:  Unknown compiler(s): [['x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc']]
The follow exceptions were encountered:
Running "x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc --version" gave "[Errno 2] No such file or directory: 'x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc': 'x86_64-w64-mingw32-gcc'"

in the meson log. have not had time to deal with that yet because time is a jaded soul.

Still...might just go back to manjaro. how is it running or your system now?

That's because you need mingw32-gcc to compile DXVK. It's often not in repos, so you have to use 3rd party repo or compile it yourself (which takes quite some time, as it's full blown GCC), but you don't have to compile DXVK yourself. You can download precompiled .dll from https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases and install it with the attached script. Using Lutris eases it up even more.

With DXVK, esync and Feral gamemode enforced by Lutris when the game starts the performance is amazingly smooth in-game, I play on most settings on high and I don't see any stutters that Windows don't have, sometimes I even wonder whether it's not better as I don't have to deal with Windows trying to eat the resources. I don't even get much stutter when DXVK builds its cache. 

The only issues I have are those in menus I mentioned above (which I still don't know what exactly caused) and there is some stuttering when the game loads menus, which results in distorted lobby music and some delays when loading menus when I'm switching from traders to stash to raid etc., but I didn't troubleshoot it thoroughly (maybe low latency patches for osu! would help?) and using ALSA seems to lessen this issue.

I also currently use Wine 4.2-tkg from Lutris, so there's no issues in launcher either. Might be a regression with Chrome Embedded Framework running on wine (-staging), so might be worth investigating further.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
SCAV_AI
2 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

That's because you need mingw32-gcc to compile DXVK. It's often not in repos, so you have to use 3rd party repo or compile it yourself (which takes quite some time, as it's full blown GCC), but you don't have to compile DXVK yourself. You can download precompiled .dll from https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases and install it with the attached script. Using Lutris eases it up even more.

With DXVK, esync and Feral gamemode enforced by Lutris when the game starts the performance is amazingly smooth in-game, I play on most settings on high and I don't see any stutters that Windows don't have, sometimes I even wonder whether it's not better as I don't have to deal with Windows trying to eat the resources. I don't even get much stutter when DXVK builds its cache. 

The only issues I have are those in menus I mentioned above (which I still don't know what exactly caused) and there is some stuttering when the game loads menus, which results in distorted lobby music and some delays when loading menus when I'm switching from traders to stash to raid etc., but I didn't troubleshoot it thoroughly (maybe low latency patches for osu! would help?) and using ALSA seems to lessen this issue.

I also currently use Wine 4.2-tkg from Lutris, so there's no issues in launcher either. Might be a regression with Chrome Embedded Framework running on wine (-staging), so might be worth investigating further.

thanks heaps! i do have it running kinda alright with wine 4.1-tkg from lutris. how exactly do i go about installing the precompiled .dll? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
22 hours ago, SCAV_AI said:

thanks heaps! i do have it running kinda alright with wine 4.1-tkg from lutris. how exactly do i go about installing the precompiled .dll? 

If you use Lutris, right click the Escape from Tarkov entry in there (EfT even have the installer in Lutris that should automatically enable DXVK, if you for need/want to reinstall it), and select Configure. Then go to "Runner Options", check the "Enable DXVK" option, take a note what's inside the "DXVK version" field (should be 1.0 preferrably, if not just type it there) – it should download it automatiically, but if for any reason Lutris does not want to download it, even after a restart, download and extract content of https://github.com/doitsujin/dxvk/releases/download/v1.0/dxvk-1.0.tar.gz to

~/.local/share/lutris/runtime/dxvk/1.0/

You may also take a look whether you have a relatively up to date Lutris version, but as its in official arch repos now, it is kept up to date at least for Arch-based systems.

Edited by Faalagorn
  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn

Hm, seems that as of today I no longer have the issue with the corrupted icons! :) I suspect it was today's mesa-git update that fixed it, but it's hard to say as I both updated the wine-staging and the game had update as well. Either way, it's fixed now.

The launcher still doesn't work properly on most recent wine-staging git though (meaning version higher than 4.2), being often black (unless I move it to another monitor screen which temporarily fixes it for me),  but the game can't update too. I have to roll back to wine-staging 4.2 to update EfT, but when you click the "play" button blindly on the place where it is, the game works fine on the most recent wine-staging git with all tweaks enabled.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boostAU

The latest Update seems to have broken it for me.
"The launcher must be run from "C:\BattlestateGames\BsgLauncher\" "

Lutris log

Running /home/ubuntu/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/tkg-4.2-x86_64/bin/wine /home/ubuntu/.wine/drive_c/Battlestate Games/BsgLauncher/BsgLauncher.exe


Worked fine yesterday...

Edited by boostAU
added Lutris log.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
boostAU

OK so reinstalling the game and re-adding it to Lutris did the trick. Weird. I had not shut my PC down overnight and was playing the night before.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
14 hours ago, boostAU said:

The latest Update seems to have broken it for me.
"The launcher must be run from "C:\BattlestateGames\BsgLauncher\" "

Lutris log

Running /home/ubuntu/.local/share/lutris/runners/wine/tkg-4.2-x86_64/bin/wine /home/ubuntu/.wine/drive_c/Battlestate Games/BsgLauncher/BsgLauncher.exe


Worked fine yesterday...

Good that reinstalling fixed it, but I guess you could try to add  "C:\BattlestateGames\BsgLauncher\" as a working directory (though indeed the game installed from the installer does not have it filled for me either yet it works fine).

Just keep in mind that the launcher is still broken (doesn't update and stays black) on the wine-tkg higher than 4.2. Maybe I'll try to find the exact reason today and maybe try to fill the bug report to the upstream, so the wine team at least can know it!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn

Turned out, that the black launcher error was a regression caused by this patch: https://github.com/wine-staging/wine-staging/commit/b02bd9c4465d24203d849d1c43def56d6596609c

Disabling wined3d-SWVP-shaders (and wined3d-Indexed_Vertex_Blending too, as wined3d-SWVP-shaders depends on it) fixed it, however it turns there's a proper fix for it here: https://bugs.winehq.org/show_bug.cgi?id=46865#c3 – I'm testing it now.

EDIT: It seems the patch is fixing this issue, so I'll leave the comment in the bug report about it – hopefully the proper fix will arrive to wine-staging soon, and in the meantime I'll leave a PR for the tkg PKGBUILDs for those who build from those PKGBUILDS :).

Edited by Faalagorn
EDIT

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eremita

I used the new install script in Lutris (that also was updated 5 or 6 days ago), and now I could finally run it, but with DXVK activated crashes and without (but esync activated) I have the problems you could see in the screenshots attached. I am using Nvidia 415 and I tested in low with all effects turned off.

Screenshot_20190322_094012.png

Screenshot_20190319_121834.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
13 hours ago, Eremita said:

I used the new install script in Lutris (that also was updated 5 or 6 days ago), and now I could finally run it, but with DXVK activated crashes and without (but esync activated) I have the problems you could see in the screenshots attached. I am using Nvidia 415 and I tested in low with all effects turned off.

Screenshot_20190322_094012.png

Screenshot_20190319_121834.png

That seems like a GPU (drivers?) issue, but you are using one of the latest drivers, so it's interesting. Can you enable DXVK_HUD in Lutris (set it to full instead of 0), so we can see what DXVK version are you using?

P.S. Not related, but I also forgot to mention that the issue with launcher was fixed in staging as of this commit, so basically if someone just don't use Wine-staging 4.3 or 4.4 and either use 4.2, wait for 4.5 to release or build Wine yourself, the launcher should work fine!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eremita
9 minutes ago, Faalagorn said:

That seems like a GPU (drivers?) issue, but you are using one of the latest drivers, so it's interesting. Can you enable DXVK_HUD in Lutris (set it to full instead of 0), so we can see what DXVK version are you using?

P.S. Not related, but I also forgot to mention that the issue with launcher was fixed in staging as of this commit, so basically if someone just don't use Wine-staging 4.3 or 4.4 and either use 4.2, wait for 4.5 to release or build Wine yourself, the launcher should work fine!

I am using DXVK 1.0.1 :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
Just now, Eremita said:

I am using DXVK 1.0.1 :)

Can you make sure it's on? For me it's easier to verify it's there on the hud, but it also shows some other useful info, for example 1.0.1. shows D3D api version as well, so we can exclude that for some reason you didn't launch DX12 version somehow if it's still there in the game files :P

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eremita
21 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Can you make sure it's on? For me it's easier to verify it's there on the hud, but it also shows some other useful info, for example 1.0.1. shows D3D api version as well, so we can exclude that for some reason you didn't launch DX12 version somehow if it's still there in the game files :P

Here it is :). But remember that previous screenshots I made it without DXVK as it makes crash game when loading map.

Screenshot_20190324_110234.png

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn
On 3/24/2019 at 11:04 AM, Eremita said:

Here it is :). But remember that previous screenshots I made it without DXVK as it makes crash game when loading map.

Screenshot_20190324_110234.png

Oh, that makes more sense then. How much RAM do you have? Me and my friend had trouble playing Escape from Tarkov on Linux when using just 4 GB of RAM, here's the report I made back then, but I didn't test it extensively since. Maybe that's the case for you too? Or for some reason, some RAM is not visible on Linux? You should be able to check it with htop, top or similar tool or just type free -mh to see the amount Linux see in human-readable form in the terminal.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Eremita
13 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Oh, that makes more sense then. How much RAM do you have? Me and my friend had trouble playing Escape from Tarkov on Linux when using just 4 GB of RAM, here's the report I made back then, but I didn't test it extensively since. Maybe that's the case for you too? Or for some reason, some RAM is not visible on Linux? You should be able to check it with htop, top or similar tool or just type free -mh to see the amount Linux see in human-readable form in the terminal.

I have 12 GB of RAM, and I usually close everything when I try to test Tarkov with DXVK.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn

 

On 3/26/2019 at 9:41 AM, Eremita said:

I have 12 GB of RAM, and I usually close everything when I try to test Tarkov with DXVK.

If you are certain Linux sees all your RAM available, then it shouldn't be that. I'd still take a deeper look at DXVK, as the perfromance otherwise would be subpar even if you solve the graphical issues with WineD3D11. Try launching game with DXVK_LOG_LEVEL=full (you can set it in Lutris in the configuration last tab – if you used the installer, then simply change "none" to "full" and take a look at the d3d11 and dxgi .log files that should be there where the executables are. 

5 hours ago, Eremita said:

Should I move from 415 to 418 Nvidia driver?

Won't hurt, you should generally use the latest possible drivers for Nvidia when possible anyway, especially for Vulkan (and hence DXVK) :).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Faalagorn

Especially, since you are in laptop, this bug could affect you: https://github.com/Tk-Glitch/PKGBUILDS/issues/112#issuecomment-475065891 – seems that installing 418.56 fixed the issue people had with Vulkan (hence DXVK) games and prime (dual graphics). You probably just want to wait until you have it in your distros repos/ppa, unless you already have this version :)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...
b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2