edgey642

COmic Book style sketch

ShadowDee

Your EFT art's looking good, man!
I like the style of the lineart and the colouring.
And looking at your Batman-artwork I gotta admit, that you've got skills ;)

• Upvote 1

Valheru_84
On 4/7/2017 at 8:57 PM, edgey642 said:

Lol I have no Photoshop skills whatsoever so it's not a play with effects on the original image... But then again I never claimed it was an original image of my creation, infact anyone who's followed Tarkov or played it will know this is an iconic image and well known. So yes it is a copy, but I assumed people knew that, and if you read the OP that you quoted I said "did a sketchy comic book style drawing OF THE TARKOV COVER ART".

This was all done in Sketchbook Pro on a Microsoft Surface Pro 4 (so draw on screen tablet) And the reason it is precise is because I did trace the image. I watermarked the layer and used a "HB pencil" brush to get the main outlines then shaded and added the details freehand to mimic a comic book style. The reason I traced the main outline is because proportions are not my strength, plus I mainly wanted to dive straight into colouring the picture (which was also done completely freehand)

I'm not claiming or have not claimed to be any special artist in any sense. I never claimed this was my creation, but a "sketchbook style drawing of the Tarkov cover art". I would not simply add a filter to an image and call it my own. Despite the outline being traced, this still took many hours to create and I was happy with the outcome and wanted to share it on here... Nothing more nothing less.

I can, however, draw freehand too. It just takes me alot longer and in this case I was just after a certain style, plus "bored at work" lol, so it kept me occupied. Here's an example of one of my freehand drawing (not Tarkov of course) if you find the original image, you'll notice proportions are out in places. Which is why I sometimes use the tracing method

batman_colour2.thumb.jpg.14c56b401276efe095c67fd1ca8f80c8.jpg

So it's not that I can't do it, I suppose you could say I was just being lazy on the OP picture :begreat:

So I've read your reply and I'll say in response "fair enough". After re-reading your OP I did notice the comment "of the Tarkov cover art". Being new to EFT I have no idea what that is and my initial take on your OP was that this was an original hand drawn sketch by yourself that you'd scanned in and then coloured in with Photoshop or some other image editing tool. Seeing that you did actually trace the image as well, I feel "sketch" is a little misleading so maybe you could just be a little clearer / more accurate in how you describe the work you've done in the future to avoid any further misunderstandings ;)

Anyway, I retract the notion that you were trying to pass this of as your own original creation and compliment you on your skills though they are quite different from what I originally thought was on display.

Keep up the great work! :) 

- Valheru

edgey642
9 hours ago, Valheru_84 said:

So I've read your reply and I'll say in response "fair enough". After re-reading your OP I did notice the comment "of the Tarkov cover art". Being new to EFT I have no idea what that is and my initial take on your OP was that this was an original hand drawn sketch by yourself that you'd scanned in and then coloured in with Photoshop or some other image editing tool. Seeing that you did actually trace the image as well, I feel "sketch" is a little misleading so maybe you could just be a little clearer / more accurate in how you describe the work you've done in the future to avoid any further misunderstandings ;)

Anyway, I retract the notion that you were trying to pass this of as your own original creation and compliment you on your skills though they are quite different from what I originally thought was on display.

Keep up the great work! :) 

- Valheru

No problem mate. I must admit I wasn't expecting your initial comment so apologies if I came over all defensive. It's mainly because it still took me a fair amount of time and effort, despite tracing the outline (which is not as easy as it sounds btw). I added the Batman image just to show that I'm capable of copying an image without tracing, not to try and big myself up, but again just in a bit of a defensive reaction to your post.

But no harm done, I take your point, although I still stand by the "sketchy" reference as that was the style I was going for, rather than realism. Plus, as I said, I only traced the main outlines, all details and shading were freehand.

You could argue it is a bit lazy, and I would accept that criticism, but I just wanted to get the main shape down so I could sketch in the details and colour it.

Cheers for understanding though, and hope to post some more work in the near future

Valheru_84
11 hours ago, edgey642 said:

No problem mate. I must admit I wasn't expecting your initial comment so apologies if I came over all defensive. It's mainly because it still took me a fair amount of time and effort, despite tracing the outline (which is not as easy as it sounds btw). I added the Batman image just to show that I'm capable of copying an image without tracing, not to try and big myself up, but again just in a bit of a defensive reaction to your post.

But no harm done, I take your point, although I still stand by the "sketchy" reference as that was the style I was going for, rather than realism. Plus, as I said, I only traced the main outlines, all details and shading were freehand.

You could argue it is a bit lazy, and I would accept that criticism, but I just wanted to get the main shape down so I could sketch in the details and colour it

Cheers for understanding though, and hope to post some more work in the near future

Not at all, since it is your own work you have every right to be defensive though I didn't think you were being overly defensive myself. Just stating what the case actually was which is fine and what I was after.

I understand the style is as a "sketch", it's just because you said that you sketched it that it gave me the impression you were sitting there with a real HB pencil sketching it on paper ;)

- Valheru

• Upvote 1

edgey642

Yeah fair enough, can see why that would cause confusion. Maybe I'll dust off my pencil set and pad and do some old school drawing. Getting a little too reliant on the tablet to be fair

NanoZ

Its just awesome how that sketch that you did started a lot of discussion and "remixes" of the original one, gj and keep going!

PieceOfCake

Despite all discussions above I really liked all artwork, the Batman head is impressive.  

DocShadedJade

Haters gonna hate.  Too bad we can't dish out disreputable points.  @Valheru_84

@edgey642 Awesome sketch and coloring!  I hope one persons misconceived notions doesn't stop you from making more.  Trace an outline, don't trace an outline, use a sketchpad, don't use a sketchpad.  Your choice; your art.  Use whatever the hell you want.   We will still love it.  Keep getting bored at work and share with us plsssssssssss.  :bemaybe:

• Upvote 1

Valheru_84
On 13 May 2017 at 0:52 PM, DocShadedJade said:

Haters gonna hate.  Too bad we can't dish out disreputable points.  @Valheru_84

@edgey642 Awesome sketch and coloring!  I hope one persons misconceived notions doesn't stop you from making more.  Trace an outline, don't trace an outline, use a sketchpad, don't use a sketchpad.  Your choice; your art.  Use whatever the hell you want.   We will still love it.  Keep getting bored at work and share with us plsssssssssss.  :bemaybe:

Try reading a bit further into the thread ;)

.Val

DocShadedJade

@Valheru_84 Read it all before I posted bud.  Feel free to PM me instead of thread jacking.  :x

Keep the art coming...

Halgrave

That is the most confused-looking Batman I've ever seen, but nice work!

Electric_Tiger

You've got a lot of talent!

Following for hopes of future updates ;)

calbroxup

Can this be used for TARKOV Merchandise at all? Or is it for non-profit use only? Cheers! Sick drawing by the way.