Hedloc

Futuristic weapons - Coil guns

Hedloc

Seeing how the action in EFT happens in the future , will we see some futuristic weapons , something in the lines of Coil guns? There are some versions of these weapons out there but right now they are still under powered in comparison with existing firearms.

I know that EFT is deeply rooted in realism, and before you trolls jump the gun let me remind you that the action takes place in 2028 , and already in present days there are tutorials on the web with DIY coil guns, who knows maybe in the near future we will actually develop high performance/precision coil guns.

Patfast

Well in STALKER we had the Gauss Rifle, soooo...maybe?

Project

I feel as if we are still too close to current day to have something such as that, and this is being touted as a highly realistic military type shooter, so guns should draw closer to something like ArmA. We do have Stalker devs on the team though, so I could be wrong. Don't take my word for it until we have confirmation!

Hedloc

i'm curios on the dev's pov, do these weapons meet the criteria to be in the game?

Romanoffsky

I wonder, how many ppl saw a coil weapon in PMC...

And btw, EfT ingame date - 2016 year. So there is literally no any coil weapon. :) 

• Upvote 2

Golde

up to date, nobody has created one that can be effectively used as small arms.

Nyctea
14 часа назад, Rettsu сказал:

EfT ingame date - 2016 year. So there is literally no any coil weapon.

Aye, and the Tarkov area was locked even earlier than that. Sooo... nope, no coil weapons are planned. Also, I can hardly imagine them competing with conventional weapons, even in 2028. Two key problems just can't be solved with what modern technology has to offer:

1) portable power source that combines fast discharge with high capacity

2) extremely high barrel wear

It will take some really significant scientific breakthrough to make them fit for infantry use.

• Upvote 1

Europoor
13 minutes ago, Claus said:

Aye, and the Tarkov area was locked even earlier than that. Sooo... nope, no coil weapons are planned. Also, I can hardly imagine them competing with conventional weapons, even in 2028. Two key problems just can't be solved with what modern technology has to offer:

It will take some really significant scientific breakthrough to make them fit for infantry use.

Like graphene batteries and graphene reinforced chamers and barrels? :D

Nyctea
9 минут назад, Europoor сказал:

graphene batteries and graphene reinforced chamers and barrels?

Hm, heard of the batteries before, but didn't pay much attention, thought fast charge and discharge was their main advantage, but if they really high capacity, there may be a way. As for graphene-reinforced barrels, first time I heard of them. Can they really cope with ferromagnetic projectiles?

(Disclaimer: these questions are not related to EFT, just for the sake of self-education.)

Europoor
3 minutes ago, Claus said:

Hm, heard of the batteries before, but didn't pay much attention, though fast charge and discharge was their main advantage, but if they really high capacity, there may be a way. As for graphene-reinforced barrels, first time I heard of them. Can they really cope with ferromagnetic projectiles?

(Disclaimer: these questions are not related to EFT, just for the sake of self-education.)

These are just concepts, and yet has to be experimented with. Lower density ferromagnetic projectiles, or saboted ammunition may solve the issue here or there. Since we are not talking about as big discharge rate as naval batterys (mach7), there could be less to worry about.

Europoor
27 minutes ago, Europoor said:

These are just concepts, and yet has to be experimented with. Lower density ferromagnetic projectiles, or saboted ammunition may solve the issue here or there. Since we are not talking about as big discharge rate as naval batterys (mach7), there could be less to worry about.

P.S. These are only internet speculations. 

Zukku

1. 12 years for research, build and reamr Army with somelike Future Weapon is impossible.

2. There is Russian Developers, Not EA, not Bethesda, not a conveyor (i think). If you seen Action Trailer, you see the Calendar with  2014 year. 

• Upvote 3

Europoor

...(No propellant to worry about if hit)....
Energy density is energy density, no matter what form it's in. Even if you're not using explosive propellant, you have to carry all the energy to accelerate all the projectiles inside the tank. BAE's railgun requires 25megawatts to fire one projectile. Here's an experiment - go and throw a 9v battery at a solid wall, or put in it a fire (stand back a bit, maybe wear goggles). Now imagine the same thing happening to a battery that's a couple of dozen orders of magnitude more powerful than that. Then image being inside a steel box with said battery when it happens. Not so good, right?

The only way you could safely (safley as in "I'm inside a steel box with a nuclear reactor in it and people are firing very large guns at me") is with a miniturized fusion reactor, but if you had that kind of technology available you probably wouldn't use it to power a machine invented in the 1910's. It'd be like stapping an ATGM to one of those elephants with a seat on the back and expecting to win wars with it.

Just an interesting fact

eltdrgntmr
On February 17, 2016 at 7:01 PM, Claus said:

Does that mean that if there's a scientific breakthrough somewhere between now and the year 2028, we'd get to see coil guns in the game? :3

Nyctea
В 22.02.2016в07:05, eltdrgntmr сказал:

Does that mean that if there's a scientific breakthrough somewhere between now and the year 2028, we'd get to see coil guns in the game? :3

Well, I would not exclude such possibility, though scientific breakthrough alone is not enough - coil guns will have to  enter mass market and be competitive enough in terms of price, effectiveness and military application. Like @Zukkusaid above, seems impossible to achieve.

• Upvote 1

killer112998

I think it would be kinda ridiculous to have gauss type weapons. However, we could have some newer types of upgrades for weapons. Look at lets say... battlefield 4. The weapon modifications in that are superb, they are also top of the line military gear. My question is, is this taking place in a post military installation with easy access to military grade gear? Or is this in a somewhat civilian atmosphere. The closer to military we are (in relevance to location) would drastically change the gear you get. Meaning, top of the line advanced weaponry would not only be extremely hard to find, but it would likely have very little ammo and it would be pretty beaten up. However, we may be able to get our hands on newer versions of modern weapons, lets say the AK, you could find AN variants around that would perform better than its regular counterpart. It would be pretty nice to see like some RPK's or PKP's but those would be almost too powerful all on their own. Case in point, i highly doubt futuristic weapons will make an appearance considering that LMG's would be powerful enough.

Bismarck_

What next? a transformer?

Zoraxon

While the game is set in the future, it isn't quite that far. They wanted it grounded in realism, that's part of why they didn't release the info to the general public until they did (after about 9 years of development), and I currently really like the current setting and fanbase that is forming. If they added more Future guns, it would draw the eye of the more arcade gamers (Especially with IW coming out from CoD) and that shift in fanbase would bring squealers. The F****** squealers. A super rare, not-really-all-that-talked-about Gauss cannon or rail gun might be nice (like with stalker and ARMA 2/DayZ), but it would be better kept quiet.

Speaking of publicity, why aren't we seeing basically anything on various media for this? No Ads, Few trailers, basically nothing. I'm not complaining, but if you guys stepped up your Ad campaign, it'd bring more revenue, and more alpha and beta testers.