KRDucky

Vulkan API Support?

Will EFT support the Vulkan API? Really looking forward to EFT and would be epic if EFT used Vulkan. Especially since I dont plan on moving to Windows 10 NSA edition any time soon.

Edited by KRDucky
  • Upvote 3

On 14.02.2016 at 9:34 PM, KRDucky said:

Will EFT support the Vulkan API? Really looking forward to EFT and would be epic if EFT used Vulkan. Especially since I dont plan on moving to Windows 10 NSA edition any time soon.

This is up to Unity. Right now their roadmap mentions Vulkan being in Research stage.

• Upvote 1

8 hours ago, Claus said:

This is up to Unity. Right now their roadmap mentions Vulkan being in Research stage.

so, it is no off the table then?

TBH I don't have muck faith in this. They want to make another layer of API for OpenGL that will be easier for hardware companies to support (for companies like Apple that are still f*cking around with 2010 year implementation), but I think they're doomed to create  "another standard".

standards.png

• Upvote 1

58 minutes ago, ndiezel said:

TBH I don't have muck faith in this. They want to make another layer of API for OpenGL that will be easier for hardware companies to support (for companies like Apple that are still f*cking around with 2010 year implementation), but I think they're doomed to create  "another standard".

standards.png

Vulkan is NOT another OpenGL Layer. It is a separate API. It is also an industry standard API now.

26 минут назад, KRDucky сказал:

Vulkan is NOT another OpenGL Layer. It is a separate API. It is also an industry standard API now.

Yeah, my bad didn't check my sources. We'll see in 3 years if this'll actually work out, at this moment I see no need in "another standard", coz IMHO gamedev industry is not ready. As a programmer I like Vulkan's API, coz it's clear step into modern programming as opposed to archaic OpenGL, but I just don't see it shine in near future.

2 hours ago, ndiezel said:

Yeah, my bad didn't check my sources. We'll see in 3 years if this'll actually work out, at this moment I see no need in "another standard", coz IMHO gamedev industry is not ready. As a programmer I like Vulkan's API, coz it's clear step into modern programming as opposed to archaic OpenGL, but I just don't see it shine in near future.

well considering it is directly countering DX12.......... and DX12 is one platform only......

I tried Vulkan in Doom and I was pretty impressed by the results. I didn't expect my PC to handle Doom with max settings at1080p with 60 FPS + (R9 290 FX 8350)

I would really appreciate the implementation of Vulkan in EfT, since my CPU is a bottleneck in a lot of games for me. And more FPS are always better :)

On 10/5/2016 at 10:21 AM, Claus said:

When Unity get vulkan support, will you upgrade your game to support vulkan?

• Upvote 1

On 13/12/2016 at 10:29 AM, BrandonS101 said:

It is possible but right now but vulkan and dx12 are both pretty new

personally I don't care about dx12 but Vulkan

• Upvote 1

Bumping this.

What about now? Vulcan API is fully supported by Unity 5.6 and could go a long way to help you guys optimize the game for lower end hardware.

What are the chances of us seeing this soon in Tarkov?

Might as well have these optimizations in during the Alpha stage than tacking them on at a later time.

• Upvote 2

7 hours ago, LotusNoir said:

Bumping this.

What about now? Vulcan API is fully supported by Unity 5.6 and could go a long way to help you guys optimize the game for lower end hardware.

What are the chances of us seeing this soon in Tarkov?

Might as well have these optimizations in during the Alpha stage than tacking them on at a later time.

To use the Vulkan API, the devs need to upgrade to Unity 5.6. As it's out in a stable release, I wouldn't be surprised if it is just round the corner. With Unity, it's as simple as adding it to the Graphics API list.

UsingDX11GL3Features-AddRemove.png

• Upvote 1

According to the devs, they have been working on a Vulkan build. And YES, it is spelled with a K not a C.

They were happy with their Vulkan build last I checked

19 hours ago, KRDucky said:

According to the devs, they have been working on a Vulkan build. And YES, it is spelled with a K not a C.

They were happy with their Vulkan build last I checked

Could you link to a source?

4 hours ago, capradamron said:

Could you link to a source?

This is my Twitter Profile. I have been chatting with BSG for a while. It (Vulkan) has also been mentioned in dev question videos. You just have to pay attention.

Edited by KRDucky
  • Upvote 3

On 4/9/2017 at 1:47 AM, KRDucky said:
It (Vulkan) has also been mentioned in dev question videos. You just have to pay attention.

Dev question videos? Now you got me curious, as I didn't notice anything :P

9 hours ago, Faalagorn said:

Dev question videos? Now you got me curious, as I didn't notice anything :P

If I recall correctly, there was mention of it in the first Tarkov Today video.

On 4/8/2017 at 6:47 PM, KRDucky said:

This is my Twitter Profile. I have been chatting with BSG for a while. It (Vulkan) has also been mentioned in dev question videos. You just have to pay attention.

Here is something from Wikipedia about Games supporting Vulkan:

AF2Zaw8.png

tXmxuzR.png

Edited by KRDucky
  • Upvote 1

Since the latest (0.2.40.168 Alpha) patch, you can launch EFT with the initial Vulkan support using -force-vulkan launch parameter :). See my post here - aside from running in Wine, this is actually what allows the game to be launched natively under Linux!

The bug about not being able to inspect an item is related to the Vulkan renderer somehow, as the game crashed when trying to inspect an item both in Wine and the "native" version and it seems the same when forcing Vulkan under Windows in my wife's PC (and I even checked that, Vulkan dll got loaded instead D3Dx DLLs with the ProcessExplorer).

Apart from the inspection bug, your mileage may vary. In my wife's Windows the game crashed when trying to load a map (with the "Oops!" error) - however, it allowed me to play the game under Wine with no graphical issues, as described in the post linked above :)). I did have some heavy stutter in Factory though, but I encourage someone else to try before figuring the exact cause.

Out of curiosity, I tried to launch the game with the -force-d3d12 parameter on my wife's Windows 10 but the game refused to load, with the same error that -force-glcore and -force-gles does. My wife have GeForce 650Ti which is a somewhat dated card, but it alongg the drivers and operating system does support DX12, so the card is not the issue. It simply seems that the devs didn't enable the DX12 support, which honestly make a lot of sense, since, aside from Linux (and Mac with MoltenVK), a lot of people are still gaming under Windows 7, 8 or 8.1. Vulkan to go!

It's just a bit sad the Vulkan support in Unity is still at the experimental stage (though Ballistic Overkill, another Unity FPS, already uses it :)), and the issues I encountered may explain Nikita's mention of "Builds with Vulkan API crash" in the latest interview with him, but I hope that gets ironed out both by the Unity and BSG teams (and the Vulkan API itself, which is still relatively young!), especially as EFT is already pushing the limits of Unity and any optimizations Vulkan can bring can only be beneficial :)!

• Like 2