Jump to content
kurgyn

Clarification of Game Modes / Open World

Recommended Posts

kurgyn

I hope I don't sound too meticulous, but I wanted to know if my fellow EFT fans could help me out:

Could someone give me a breakdown / summary of the gameplay aspects?
Due to the multiple genre and unorthodox (but awesome) nature of EFT, I'm somewhat lost on how exactly this game is going to play.

Basically, I was wanting to know how open world / MMO / PVP works. To my understanding from the feature list, FAQ, trailers, etc. there are several game modes:
1) Story
2) Raids
3) Free Roam
4) Arena

As opposed to other games in the survival genre, where is the bulk of your time spent? Like the main arena of the game, I suppose?
The Story mode; is it a series of missions (or 'quests') which are started by talking to NPCs, entering an area, etc. within the Free Roam map? Or are they independent of each other?
Is the bulk of the game spent in Free Roam, building your characters skills, collecting loot, discovering areas and such, and starting a "story mission" or "raid" at your leisure? Like DayZ or H1Z1 with built-in missions/raids scattered throughout the open game world?

Or is it similar to H1Z1's Survival and Battle Royale modes? As in you join corresponding servers and continuously play for either the co-op Story mode, partake in a Raid, fight in Arena mode, or enter free roam externally and independent of the others? Do you progress your character's skills and build your inventory across all separate modes and your character is carried across different modes/servers (like DayZ)?

What I'm hoping for is an open-world experience (Free Roam) like conventional survival games, set in that 16km squared map, encountering other players (up to 64 I believe?) during the free roaming every now and then (like Rust, H1Z1, DayZ, etc.) but with the ability to go to a certain NPC or such and start a "Story" mission as I choose (similar to TES: Skyrim or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Misery Mod I guess?), or go on a "Raid" mission between those free roaming stints, then bounce back in to the free roam map after completing the mission/raid.

If that isn't the way it works, can someone elaborate on how the different modes work? I apologize for the complexity of this thread, and I hope it helps anyone else who might be confused.


Thank you!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Europoor
2 minutes ago, kurgyn said:

I hope I don't sound too meticulous, but I wanted to know if my fellow EFT fans could help me out:

Could someone give me a breakdown / summary of the gameplay aspects?
Due to the multiple genre and unorthodox (but awesome) nature of EFT, I'm somewhat lost on how exactly this game is going to play.

Basically, I was wanting to know how open world / MMO / PVP works. To my understanding from the feature list, FAQ, trailers, etc. there are several game modes:
1) Story
2) Raids
3) Free Roam
4) Arena

As opposed to other games in the survival genre, where is the bulk of your time spent? Like the main arena of the game, I suppose?
The Story mode; is it a series of missions (or 'quests') which are started by talking to NPCs, entering an area, etc. within the Free Roam map? Or are they independent of each other?
Is the bulk of the game spent in Free Roam, building your characters skills, collecting loot, discovering areas and such, and starting a "story mission" or "raid" at your leisure? Like DayZ or H1Z1 with built-in missions/raids scattered throughout the open game world?

Or is it similar to H1Z1's Survival and Battle Royale modes? As in you join corresponding servers and continuously play for either the co-op Story mode, partake in a Raid, fight in Arena mode, or enter free roam externally and independent of the others? Do you progress your character's skills and build your inventory across all separate modes and your character is carried across different modes/servers (like DayZ)?

What I'm hoping for is an open-world experience (Free Roam) like conventional survival games, set in that 16km squared map, encountering other players (up to 64 I believe?) during the free roaming every now and then (like Rust, H1Z1, DayZ, etc.) but with the ability to go to a certain NPC or such and start a "Story" mission as I choose (similar to TES: Skyrim or S.T.A.L.K.E.R. Misery Mod I guess?), or go on a "Raid" mission between those free roaming stints, then bounce back in to the free roam map after completing the mission/raid.

If that isn't the way it works, can someone elaborate on how the different modes work? I apologize for the complexity of this thread, and I hope it helps anyone else who might be confused.


Thank you!

I hope this helps a bit

fact.png

  • Upvote 6

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kurgyn

Wow, that's actually quite helpful. Thanks, Europoor!

So I guess my only question left is; after you complete the mandatory and linear Raids/Story Missions (I have gathered now that the two are synonymous; thank you!), of which there are a limited amount, you gain access to Free Roam; is there ever an "end" to Free Roam? For instance, can you actually beat the game and/or escape from Tarkov and have to start over from the beginning of the Raids? Or do you get to do just as it's called (Free Roam); run around doing whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want in the 16km2 world, having PVP encounters, Scav (PVE) encounters, looting, doing side missions / replays, then die > respawn > repeat, forever, like most open-world survival titles?

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Europoor
3 minutes ago, kurgyn said:

Wow, that's actually quite helpful. Thanks, Europoor!

So I guess my only question left is; after you complete the mandatory and linear Raids/Story Missions (I have gathered now that the two are synonymous; thank you!), of which there are a limited amount, you gain access to Free Roam; is there ever an "end" to Free Roam? For instance, can you actually beat the game and/or escape from Tarkov and have to start over from the beginning of the Raids? Or do you get to do just as it's called (Free Roam); run around doing whatever you want, whenever you want, however you want in the 16km2 world, having PVP encounters, Scav (PVE) encounters, looting, doing side missions / replays, then die > respawn > repeat, forever, like most open-world survival titles?

You can go and play the free roam mode, or replay any of the completed raids.

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
kurgyn

Nice! Well my extremely overdone series of questions were answered with a quite simple explanation including visual breakdown. Excellent responses Euro. Thank you!

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
incus

Free roam is however like the standard formula.  It still similar to the raids as apposed to say dayz.  You spawn at a random location.  To log off you cant just press esc and wala!!  You have to still reach and exit point.  Otherwise you loose your poo still.  If you do logout /  drop connection... your character is going to be sitting there with his thumb up his ass.  So horaaa!  No more ALT+F4 monkeys!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Scruffy
1 hour ago, incus said:

Free roam is however like the standard formula.  It still similar to the raids as apposed to say dayz.  You spawn at a random location.  To log off you cant just press esc and wala!!  You have to still reach and exit point.  Otherwise you loose your poo still.  If you do logout /  drop connection... your character is going to be sitting there with his thumb up his ass.  So horaaa!  No more ALT+F4 monkeys!

What will happen if the server crashes?

As much as I love this idea, I am concerned that in the events of "real life" duties/emergency you will have to leave the game and lose everything. Technically you will have to commit for the full 1-1.5, this works in CS:GO as the punishment is mot as bad as it is here.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Europoor
7 hours ago, kurgyn said:

Nice! Well my extremely overdone series of questions were answered with a quite simple explanation including visual breakdown. Excellent responses Euro. Thank you!

No problem m8 :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CMBelite-FR

but can you farm these raids or thebetter gear/loots will the in the free raom a bit like the Darkzone from the devision ?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Drakkaar
1 hour ago, CMBelite-FR said:

but can you farm these raids or thebetter gear/loots will the in the free raom a bit like the Darkzone from the devision ?

Not quite sure what you mean by "Farm the raids"

2 things that make it so you can't Easily farm is randomized loot as well as randomized quest / objective items. The key to escape won't always be in the same place, but if you find the key early you could go loot areas in hopes to find awesome gear. But you still need to complete the Raid ( i.e escape ) to keep the gear you find, as well you can't just horde 5 guns in your backpack and bring them all back.

Free-roam like  DarkZone?  In what aspects are you asking if they are the same - Since we won't have to "Extract" items like that I would assume you either have to get to a designated save area to store loot or you will have to again use an Exit (possible campers?) to store your loot.  I'm sure the Karma system in free roam might either be turned off in free-roam or it should only cause negative status when killing your own faction.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
CMBelite-FR
29 minutes ago, Drakkaar said:

Not quite sure what you mean by "Farm the raids"

2 things that make it so you can't Easily farm is randomized loot as well as randomized quest / objective items. The key to escape won't always be in the same place, but if you find the key early you could go loot areas in hopes to find awesome gear. But you still need to complete the Raid ( i.e escape ) to keep the gear you find, as well you can't just horde 5 guns in your backpack and bring them all back.

Free-roam like  DarkZone?  In what aspects are you asking if they are the same - Since we won't have to "Extract" items like that I would assume you either have to get to a designated save area to store loot or you will have to again use an Exit (possible campers?) to store your loot.  I'm sure the Karma system in free roam might either be turned off in free-roam or it should only cause negative status when killing your own faction.

 

I think "farming" is a RPG term that means that you will do a mission over and over again to loot a specific gear, So my question is after you have completed all the raids, can you "farm" these raids to get betters loots or will the betters loots be only available in the free Roam.

 

For example, will i have more change looting a M98-B in the raids missions or in the free roam ,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TarkovEscaper
В 18.02.2016 в 02:32, kurgyn сказал:

As opposed to other games in the survival genre, where is the bulk of your time spent? Like the main arena of the game, I suppose?
The Story mode; is it a series of missions (or 'quests') which are started by talking to NPCs, entering an area, etc. within the Free Roam map? Or are they independent of each other?
Is the bulk of the game spent in Free Roam, building your characters skills, collecting loot, discovering areas and such, and starting a "story mission" or "raid" at your leisure? Like DayZ or H1Z1 with built-in missions/raids scattered throughout the open game world?

Hello sir

Raids = story mode, where you have to complete each raid to open the next one. Raids have an entrance and the Exit point. The average time for the raid is 1,5 hours.

You can revisit raids all you want. Each raid have specific type of loot that may spawn there and some unique one.
When you complete all the raids, you will get access to the Free Roam, where you will be walking around the area of 16 sq km, with no restrictions (except its own borders), which will feature places from raids (like there is a customs location, you can visit that place in Free Roam any time and it is part of the location, without any borders). Free Roam also have an Entrance and Exit point, but in case of Free Roam they are scattered across the location.

How do you join the raid? You just pick one on the map and this is it. You may get missions and quests, but you have to do that in the menu, before raiding. There will be traiders (in the menu) to talk to and get the quests.
There is a chance for you to find a key or a note, which will lead you to the loot or provide some interesting information, about possible loot.

The ENTRANCE and EXIT points means that you can't disconnect the game and expect to have your progression saved. Untill your character is alive, you are able to reconnect and attempt to escape, so all your loot would be saved. Death = you lose everything that you've gained or brought to the location. This rule works for every mode.

The game also feature PvE+PvP, means that you will encounter other PMC players (who can kill you, no matter what), AI Scavs and Scav players.

Does this clear things up for you?

 

 

  • Upvote 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terran-SRT
3 hours ago, TarkovEscaper said:

Hello sir

Raids = story mode, where you have to complete each raid to open the next one. Raids have an entrance and the Exit point. The average time for the raid is 1,5 hours.

You can revisit raids all you want. Each raid have specific type of loot that may spawn there and some unique one.
When you complete all the raids, you will get access to the Free Roam, where you will be walking around the area of 16 sq km, with no restrictions (except its own borders), which will feature places from raids (like there is a customs location, you can visit that place in Free Roam any time and it is part of the location, without any borders). Free Roam also have an Entrance and Exit point, but in case of Free Roam they are scattered across the location.

How do you join the raid? You just pick one on the map and this is it. You may get missions and quests, but you have to do that in the menu, before raiding. There will be traiders (in the menu) to talk to and get the quests.
There is a chance for you to find a key or a note, which will lead you to the loot or provide some interesting information, about possible loot.

The ENTRANCE and EXIT points means that you can't disconnect the game and expect to have your progression saved. Untill your character is alive, you are able to reconnect and attempt to escape, so all your loot would be saved. Death = you lose everything that you've gained or brought to the location. This rule works for every mode.

The game also feature PvE+PvP, means that you will encounter other PMC players (who can kill you, no matter what), AI Scavs and Scav players.

Does this clear things up for you?

 

 

I'm sorry, are my eyes working? Average time spent on a raid is 1.5 hours? duck YES. That's what I call content. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Drakkaar
1 hour ago, Tyrael said:

I'm sorry, are my eyes working? Average time spent on a raid is 1.5 hours? duck YES. That's what I call content. 

Well, to put it into context you have 1.5h to go from your start position to finding the item you need to escaping the area.  You could potentially finish the raid in 30 minutes if you found the key early and b-lined it to the exit. 

But even in the 1.5h hours you won't have enough time to fully loot the entire raid map, especially ones with apartment complexes as each room will be enterable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Terran-SRT
1 hour ago, Drakkaar said:

Well, to put it into context you have 1.5h to go from your start position to finding the item you need to escaping the area.  You could potentially finish the raid in 30 minutes if you found the key early and b-lined it to the exit. 

But even in the 1.5h hours you won't have enough time to fully loot the entire raid map, especially ones with apartment complexes as each room will be enterable.

That's what squads are for, no?

3 hours ago, TheOtherSlug said:

So at least 15 hours to get through the 10 raids, then you get to replay those and do quests, then you get the free roam. That sounds like quite bit of content, oh and I forgot, the arena.

Even better.

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grubby044
On 13/06/2016 at 9:52 PM, TarkovEscaper said:

Hello sir

Raids = story mode, where you have to complete each raid to open the next one. Raids have an entrance and the Exit point. The average time for the raid is 1,5 hours.

You can revisit raids all you want. Each raid have specific type of loot that may spawn there and some unique one.
When you complete all the raids, you will get access to the Free Roam, where you will be walking around the area of 16 sq km, with no restrictions (except its own borders), which will feature places from raids (like there is a customs location, you can visit that place in Free Roam any time and it is part of the location, without any borders). Free Roam also have an Entrance and Exit point, but in case of Free Roam they are scattered across the location.

How do you join the raid? You just pick one on the map and this is it. You may get missions and quests, but you have to do that in the menu, before raiding. There will be traiders (in the menu) to talk to and get the quests.
There is a chance for you to find a key or a note, which will lead you to the loot or provide some interesting information, about possible loot.

The ENTRANCE and EXIT points means that you can't disconnect the game and expect to have your progression saved. Untill your character is alive, you are able to reconnect and attempt to escape, so all your loot would be saved. Death = you lose everything that you've gained or brought to the location. This rule works for every mode.

The game also feature PvE+PvP, means that you will encounter other PMC players (who can kill you, no matter what), AI Scavs and Scav players.

Does this clear things up for you?

 

 

Just to clarify, will the free roam have no time limit? basicly the same premise of the raids, objectives, side quests, loot and scavenge and you still need to meet the requirements to leave (key card, keypad code, regular old key to exit) and find an exit?

Also was there any plans to have an actual playable safezone area where we can walk around, access our stash, buy sell swap and trade at auctions and rag fairs, meet up with other players to form a squad before a raid, talk to traders and recieve and turn in quests or was that all going to be done in the menus through the UI?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natalino
29 minutes ago, Grubby044 said:

Just to clarify, will the free roam have no time limit? basicly the same premise of the raids, objectives, side quests, loot and scavenge and you still need to meet the requirements to leave (key card, keypad code, regular old key to exit) and find an exit?

Also was there any plans to have an actual playable safezone area where we can walk around, access our stash, buy sell swap and trade at auctions and rag fairs, meet up with other players to form a squad before a raid, talk to traders and recieve and turn in quests or was that all going to be done in the menus through the UI?

Just to share what I know as most things you ask is already answered. Free roam as no time limit but I am not sure on finding a key or not (at least not 100% sure as I do not recall reading that so a dev need to answer that for you). But yes you do need to find an exit and all the raid areas like custom area and all that will be there on free roam.

 

As far as now, everything is done on a UI and I wish they change that to something in game as it will be much more fun that way but now its in UI. As for safe zones they said ones that they are considering to add a place where its safe area and you get to check out your loots and stuff like that but for now still a UI. You can matchmake to find team or join a group from the forums and I do not believe there is anything like safe zone to meet others. Even the traders are in UI.

I wish this gets to be worked on. But anyways I hope this answer your question and that it helps. :) 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grubby044
1 hour ago, Natalino said:

Just to share what I know as most things you ask is already answered. Free roam as no time limit but I am not sure on finding a key or not (at least not 100% sure as I do not recall reading that so a dev need to answer that for you). But yes you do need to find an exit and all the raid areas like custom area and all that will be there on free roam.

 

As far as now, everything is done on a UI and I wish they change that to something in game as it will be much more fun that way but now its in UI. As for safe zones they said ones that they are considering to add a place where its safe area and you get to check out your loots and stuff like that but for now still a UI. You can matchmake to find team or join a group from the forums and I do not believe there is anything like safe zone to meet others. Even the traders are in UI.

I wish this gets to be worked on. But anyways I hope this answer your question and that it helps. :) 

Yes thank you, it's all pretty much how I suspect it would be in regards to free roam and a "lobby" style safe zone to interact with other players and quest givers, possibly the UI menus will be the first iteration and if we are lucky it might be improved at a later date to a settlement outside of tarkov we can visit.

 

I do hope there will be no internal borders between the individual raid zones in free roam and you will be able to traverse the full 16km2 without loading screens. Multiple randomized and changing entry and exits too since they would be way too easy to camp.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snipeov

Just been checking out this game very carefully. From all the videos I have watched and now the recent Alpha footage, I like what I see so far. But I do have some concerns.

First up, I noticed the Pre-Alpha trailer footage does not look like the latest alpha footage. I am guessing that is just there to promote the game and the real game is being toned down. I noticed the graphics and special effects have been downgraded. Also I did not notice any breathing sound effects, they seemed to be missing. I understand this is an alpha, but from past experience with most developers, is to lie about the game at the start, then release nothing like what was mentioned. The alpha footage usually is the end product. I just hope these developers are up front and honest with everyone.

I like that the developers are aiming for realism, the weapons mods are awesome and the skill system. One other concern I have is what will there be left to do after I have finished the story mode, considering it will be so short. I don't like how it is timed based, because that is just forcing you through the game at a fast pace and you can't really fully enjoy it. Not a big concern, I can live with that.

I Understand that there will be free play, but it sounds like it will be very boring, what will I be able to do in free play? It also sounds like it will be very repetitive. From my experience playing Dayz, which this game sounds very similar to in the open world style game play, its going to get boring very quickly. It took me only a few hours of playing Dayz and I never played it again.

The last concern is, it was mentioned that the game is online only. So if your servers can't handle the load, I can't play, if my internet goes down, I can't play. Have the developers considered the cost of supplying servers for a game that requires always online for a global user base? This factor alone, is what will be holding me back from getting this game. Only time will tell. Here's hoping for the best!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Natalino
2 hours ago, Grubby044 said:

Yes thank you, it's all pretty much how I suspect it would be in regards to free roam and a "lobby" style safe zone to interact with other players and quest givers, possibly the UI menus will be the first iteration and if we are lucky it might be improved at a later date to a settlement outside of tarkov we can visit.

 

I do hope there will be no internal borders between the individual raid zones in free roam and you will be able to traverse the full 16km2 without loading screens. Multiple randomized and changing entry and exits too since they would be way too easy to camp.

I do not think it will be a loading and all that. I think its as if you open a door and go on. or something similar but we will see. I think the devs can work their magic on this stuff and even make it better so...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TarkovEscaper
5 часов назад, Grubby044 сказал:

Just to clarify, will the free roam have no time limit? basicly the same premise of the raids, objectives, side quests, loot and scavenge and you still need to meet the requirements to leave (key card, keypad code, regular old key to exit) and find an exit?

Also was there any plans to have an actual playable safezone area where we can walk around, access our stash, buy sell swap and trade at auctions and rag fairs, meet up with other players to form a squad before a raid, talk to traders and recieve and turn in quests or was that all going to be done in the menus through the UI?

I will quote myself

В 13.06.2016 в 15:52, TarkovEscaper сказал:

.....

When you complete all the raids, you will get access to the Free Roam, where you will be walking around the area of 16 sq km, with no restrictions (except its own borders), which will feature places from raids (like there is a customs location, you can visit that place in Free Roam any time and it is part of the location, without any borders). Free Roam also have an Entrance and Exit point, but in case of Free Roam they are scattered across the location......

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
TarkovEscaper
2 часа назад, Snipeov сказал:

Just been checking out this game very carefully. From all the videos I have watched and now the recent Alpha footage, I like what I see so far. But I do have some concerns.

First up, I noticed the Pre-Alpha trailer footage does not look like the latest alpha footage. I am guessing that is just there to promote the game and the real game is being toned down. I noticed the graphics and special effects have been downgraded. Also I did not notice any breathing sound effects, they seemed to be missing......

The graphics were not toned down, as we make screenshots in builds that we play and prepare for an Alpha

The quality of STREAM (which you've linked) is lower that the quality of recorded video + there were some minor bugs. We are not like other companies who downgrade something after some time, we just have no intententions to do so, the game itself is being developed with a certain quality and it is optimized from the start.

2 часа назад, Snipeov сказал:

One other concern I have is what will there be left to do after I have finished the story mode, considering it will be so short.

I would suggest you to go through this section of the site

http://www.escapefromtarkov.com/faq

And also, game features 3 game modes, first of which is Raids (time limited locations, which you need to complete, to unlock another one, overall there will be 10 raids and you can revisit them) second is a Free Roam, which is huge location (about 16 sq km) with no restrictions, except it borders and Arena game mode, which is like gladiator fights (2 enter arena, 1 leaves it)

Additionally you can play as Scav (and make trouble for others, with no consequences), play with economy, become a traider.

2 часа назад, Snipeov сказал:

The last concern is, it was mentioned that the game is online only.

As any other online game

Thanks for your concerns

  • Upvote 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Grubby044
9 minutes ago, TarkovEscaper said:

I will quote myself

 

Thanks for clearing that up :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Snipeov
1 hour ago, TarkovEscaper said:

The graphics were not toned down, as we make screenshots in builds that we play and prepare for an Alpha

The quality of STREAM (which you've linked) is lower that the quality of recorded video + there were some minor bugs. We are not like other companies who downgrade something after some time, we just have no intententions to do so, the game itself is being developed with a certain quality and it is optimized from the start.

I would suggest you to go through this section of the site

http://www.escapefromtarkov.com/faq

And also, game features 3 game modes, first of which is Raids (time limited locations, which you need to complete, to unlock another one, overall there will be 10 raids and you can revisit them) second is a Free Roam, which is huge location (about 16 sq km) with no restrictions, except it borders and Arena game mode, which is like gladiator fights (2 enter arena, 1 leaves it)

Additionally you can play as Scav (and make trouble for others, with no consequences), play with economy, become a traider.

As any other online game

Thanks for your concerns

Thanks for the feedback TarkovEscaper.

Yes I realise the video quality in the live stream is not as good quality. But I can clearly see a lot of the special effects are missing. There doesn't appear to be any floating dust when walking in doors, the screenshots from the pre-alpha show quite clearly the floating dust even in your low quality stream. The overall quality just seems not as polished.

I guess I will just have to wait until release to see the final product.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Stickdeath1980

I've got the feeling there learning alot from the Divsions fail's end game wise.

They have Done there Reaseach!!! Which i'm glad about.Also no AUG spam lol or god mode and teleporting players lol

original.jpg

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.

×
×
  • Create New...
b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2