Radio

ninjamas

I was reading through the faq and stumbled upon this:

Q: Can the internal clan/squad member comms (e.g. over radio) be overheard by other players at some particular distance? 
A: Yes, we are planning to have the extended radio management - frequency search, loop bearing, scrambling, etc.

So you can listen into certain frequencies. (To my understanding). Cool.

How substantial to the game will this be? Will the quality be better the closer you are to the source of the transmission? Will the quality be muddy if you have a crappy radio/antenna? Could there be 'Honeypot' radio transmitters that could be used as a trap?

I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself, but there is a LOT of potential here. 

6 hours ago, ninjamas said:

How substantial to the game will this be? Will the quality be better the closer you are to the source of the transmission? Will the quality be muddy if you have a crappy radio/antenna? Could there be 'Honeypot' radio transmitters that could be used as a trap?

I'm probably getting a little ahead of myself, but there is a LOT of potential here. 

Yes there is, Love the sound of it but most clans will be running TS3 and will probably make it null and void unless they add something to it to entice clans to use it.

11 hours ago, ninjamas said:

I assume the radio will be for working with randoms or finding people to play with, something to extend your voice to the community without an ugly side chat like in dayz

A good motivating way to use radio instead of TS/Discord/Mumble is to add it as a progressive skill, same as reloading/ammo count etc. or in order to proceed on some side quests on raids, radio its a necessity.

• Upvote 1

53 minutes ago, Frantic said:

A good motivating way to use radio instead of TS/Discord/Mumble is to add it as a progressive skill, same as reloading/ammo count etc. or in order to proceed on some side quests on raids, radio its a necessity.

SOLD!

xeib7ks92okoaglrnm31.gif.432404c82795650

If the Devs intent to have radio interception as a feature then they also have to put reasons in the game to use it, and those reasons CAN'T be team communications!

They need to put fixed responses on the radio where you need to use on raids, side quests and with npcs in order for a feature like that to have a meaning and an actual impact on the game.

2 hours ago, KREION said:

If the Devs intent to have radio interception as a feature then they also have to put reasons in the game to use it, and those reasons CAN'T be team communications!

They need to put fixed responses on the radio where you need to use on raids, side quests and with npcs in order for a feature like that to have a meaning and an actual impact on the game.

I wholeheartedly agree. If anyone here has played the game smite, you will know how helpful built in responses are. 'Enemy Spotted' or 'Enemies incoming' would be awesome. 

4 hours ago, Frantic said:

What do you mean by this? As in you can upgrade the radio, or you can do more things with the radio? 

I am aware that the devs have said there will not be base-building in the game, but I dunno, a radio recruitment tower or a radio-triggered raid siren would be so cool.

@ninjamas No, what i meant is to add a "Communication" skill tree where in order to rank it up, you have to use radio and other communication tools(?). As you evolve it, additional features added to radio. 

e.g: ...Level 3 communications: Able to intercept info from other frequencies..

Anyhow, its just an idea to intrigue people into using it. But imo 3rd party VOIP's will prevail eventually. 

1 minute ago, Frantic said:

@ninjamas No, what i meant is to add a "Communication" skill tree where in order to rank it up, you have to use radio and other communication tools(?). As you evolve it, additional features added to radio. 

e.g: ...Level 3 communications: Able to intercept info from other frequencies..

Anyhow, its just an idea to intrigue people into using it. But imo 3rd party VOIP's will prevail eventually. 

Well here's the thing. All skills devolve over time, so would you really prioritize something that isnt as clear, fast, or private as a private voip over, say, essential medical skills? 

There would need to be a substantial reason to use radio, much less to upgrade it's skill set.

Its a good idea, but what would be the reason to use it?

Well, cant think of a solid reason to make people use it. We have to see what devs made about it and then we can discuss further.

Btw 

5 minutes ago, ninjamas said:

All skills devolve over time

Is this true? Never heard it before! :benoway:

5 minutes ago, Frantic said:

Well, cant think of a solid reason to make people use it. We have to see what devs made about it and then we can discuss further.

Btw 

Is this true? Never heard it before! :benoway:

It doesn't mention it in the faq (for some reason) but I saw a video where a guy mentions it. 

Can anyone else confirm this for me?

Just now, ninjamas said:

It doesn't mention it in the faq (for some reason) but I saw a video where a guy mentions it. 

Can anyone else confirm this for me?

Yeah i saw that aswell. I think it was westie that said it, not quite sure tho.

• Upvote 2

On February 19, 2016 at 10:17 AM, ninjamas said:

Well here's the thing. All skills devolve over time, so would you really prioritize something that isnt as clear, fast, or private as a private voip over, say, essential medical skills? 

There would need to be a substantial reason to use radio, much less to upgrade it's skill set.

Its a good idea, but what would be the reason to use it?

Radio communication probably should be lumped in with some other useful communication-related skill like trading/npc-communication/etc. That way, the more time you spend talking into your microphone can translate into better deals with traders etc. I think something like this can work.

edit: actually I just thought of something even better - Scav interaction; you can convince AI Scavs to join your side and/or control them.

I agree. For me ingame VOIP is crucial for the immersion of the game, but you have to attach either positive or negative enforcement for people to not sit on Teamspeak with all their buddies, but actually use the ingame VOIP. 

Positive enforcement: making ingame VOIP comms necessary for the progression of raids, or for whatever other reasons mentioned (or not yet mentioned) in this thread. 

Negative enforcement: having penalties for not having a microphone connected or whatever.

So what about using ingame voip where at x skill level you might pick up morse codes that give a way locations to certain quality loot next to that like eltdrgntmr said actual talking might give some benefits when dealing with traders and such....

On Saturday, February 27, 2016 at 2:52 AM, warrioractual1 said:

I agree. For me ingame VOIP is crucial for the immersion of the game, but you have to attach either positive or negative enforcement for people to not sit on Teamspeak with all their buddies, but actually use the ingame VOIP. 

Positive enforcement: making ingame VOIP comms necessary for the progression of raids, or for whatever other reasons mentioned (or not yet mentioned) in this thread. 

Negative enforcement: having penalties for not having a microphone connected or whatever.

Even if you make them use it in some extent.What happens if they use little VOIP and almost every time team speak. or even if there is a skill tree it will increase the VOIP being used for some time and also in very small extent but people will still use 3rd part softwares as their main communication but if the dev's find a way to pull this off in a perfect way, THAT WILL BE IMPRESSIVE!!!

Hey guys, I can only hope you take the best bits and parts and add to that from great mods like Taskforce radio for arma3, and then adding to that things like jammer and maybe upgrades to encrypt your radio and such?Maybe let people take other people radios so they cant contact friends or just to save some time retreating or just figuring out their frequency.. Man I am excited!

Edited by Walter Kovacs
words