Scav farming?

StillMindz

StillMindz

In the About section of the official EFT website, there are three bullet points under the Beware of Scavs section that concerned me:

·         … play as a Scav with pre-set random gear, weapon and health condition.

·         No need to worry about death - you will not lose anything from your main character.

·         Get out alive while playing Scav and transfer his loot to your main character stash.

What!? Doesn’t this diminish the tension in the game?

I equate this to having a Ferrari in your garage that you take out on the weekends, and a beat-up car that you use to go to and from work every day.

We create a BEAR or USEC main character, leave them in the safety of home, and then participate in raids as a Scav. This way, if we die in the raid, no harm no foul. But if we win, we come home with goodies to equip our main character with.

If this is the case, there isn’t much fear in death, except for the rare times we bring our main character into the raid.

The main character is our nice car, and the Scav is the Pinto.

Edited by StillMindz
17 minutes ago, StillMindz said:

In the About section of the official EFT website, there are three bullet points under the Beware of Scavs section that concerned me:

·         … play as a Scav with pre-set random gear, weapon and health condition.

·         No need to worry about death - you will not lose anything from your main character.

·         Get out alive while playing Scav and transfer his loot to your main character stash.

I equate this to having a Ferrari in your garage that you take out on the weekends, and a beat-up car that you use to go to and from work every day.

We create a BEAR or USEC main character, leave them in the safety of home, and then participate in raids as a Scav. This way, if we die in the raid, no harm no foul. But if we win, we come home with goodies to equip our main character with.

If this is the case, there isn’t much fear in death, except for the rare times we bring our main character into the raid.

Do understand that playing as a Scav means you are there to stop other people from Escaping from Tarkov. You are the enemy, and you have other scavs around you (AI and Players) trying to stop the USEC and/or BEAR from reaching their goal.

You don't start a Raid as a scav and go to the exit, that doesn't happen. You "win" by stopping the enemy team from doing their mission.

PS: Just as it says, the gear you have isn't that great and you have a health condition, so the ability to stay alive relies on finding medical supplies or taking them from someone you've killed.

Edited by Drakkaar
  • Upvote 3

But still.. you can loot/farm the poo out of the game.. Couse as scav you dont need to kill.. some Dev said in the FAQ that the PMC has to fight each other, but a scav can be friendly..

StillMindz
Just now, Drakkaar said:

You don't start a Raid as a scav and go to the exit, that doesn't happen. You "win" by stopping the enemy team from doing their mission.

But it says "Get out alive while playing Scav". I interpret that as win or lose, if you are alive by the end of the two hours, you keep the loot you got.

Yes, if the raid ends and you're still alive then you get to keep the stuff you obtained. 

I understand it to be this way:

The RAID is started by a BEAR/USEC team, their goal is to complete what ever task is asked of them. 

Scavs are spawned randomly on the map, and have a chance to encounter the group. If you so choose you could Aid/Kill/Avoid the group depending on what you want to do.

If the team reaches their objective and finishes that raid it will end, any remaining alive players will be able to keep their loot. But I do not believe you will have the option to just join in, get gear, then leave when you want. It relies on that team completing their goal or losing.  But still, the whole objective of the Raid is for the BEAR/USEC members to complete, scavs are the obstacle in their way.

I assume it would be rather hard on winning as a scav, youll probably die of a health condition, if not by the 2 PMC groups that will more than likely kill you, plus the gear you start with will most likely be broken or low quality.

1 hour ago, StillMindz said:

Not exactly.

Escape from Tarkov is going to have RPG mechanics. Meaning learning new skills, becoming faster, more efficient will take priority over finding gear. You might find so much gear, but a scav might not have a backpack to carry very much. You might not find the exact customizations you want. Eventually, I'd imagine most players would have a surplus of the common guns and ammo to begin with.

The experience you gain to level your character is going to be a lot more valuable. Playing as a Scav not only means you cannot use these skills, but it probably won't help level or increase your existing skills either, meaning you're essentially wasting time if you want to keep progressing.

That's a pretty significant balancing aspect.

• Upvote 2

IMO playing as a scav should not grant you any benefits. No equipment should be taken back to your stash, after all, random scavenger and your main character are not sharing same stash.

Maybe you can implement some skill points that can transfer to your main character, but even that might be a bad idea.

playing as scav should be reward enough not to lose your main equipment while going all out war!

• Upvote 1
8 minutes ago, Sushi said:

Not exactly.

Escape from Tarkov is going to have RPG mechanics. Meaning learning new skills, becoming faster, more efficient will take priority over finding gear. You might find so much gear, but a scav might not have a backpack to carry very much. You might not find the exact customizations you want. Eventually, I'd imagine most players would have a surplus of the common guns and ammo to begin with.

The experience you gain to level your character is going to be a lot more valuable. Playing as a Scav not only means you cannot use these skills, but it probably won't help level or increase your existing skills either, meaning you're essentially wasting time if you want to keep progressing.

Well explained! I still don't believe you should be able to pass gear to your main character while playing as scav.

cheers

Just now, Scruffy said:

Well explained! I still don't believe you should be able to pass gear to your main character while playing as scav.

cheers

I kinda look at it as a sort of low-reward, low-risk mode when your actual character is low on equipment or you're getting adjusted to the game. A fallback option when you've had a losing streak, for example. Who knows if Scavs have a similar weight capacity to a PMC. I doubt they'll even start with backpacks, and with minimal skills they might instantly get killed upon seeing a PMC or even another scav.

StillMindz
29 minutes ago, Sushi said:

I just hope the Devs find a nice balance for it all. I am even leaning towards Scruffy's idea of not permitting any loot to be carried over to the main character. It is inconsistent story-wise, and is really the sole exploitation factor that concerns me. 

Just now, StillMindz said:

I just hope the Devs find a nice balance for it all. I am even leaning towards Scruffy's idea of not permitting any loot to be carried over to the main character. It is inconsistent story-wise, and is really the sole exploitation factor that concerns me. 

To me it's spinning your wheels. Again, something of a backup option.

You're going to have to wait for a specific chance during a Scav queue on a normal mission, meaning not only do you get less rewards, but you wait longer to do those same missions. Keeping the loot is more of a minor perk to set off the associated difficulties. You could carry dramatically more loot by having a group of other players on your primary account, even moreso if there's a "strong back" style perk that increases your carry capacity.

StillMindz
10 minutes ago, Sushi said:

You're going to have to wait for a specific chance during a Scav queue on a normal mission, meaning not only do you get less rewards, but you wait longer to do those same missions. 

What is this queue you speak of? I'm new here, so I don't know all the game details that have come to light thus far. Are raids only available during certain times?

4 minutes ago, StillMindz said:

What is this queue you speak of? I'm new here, so I don't know all the game details that have come to light thus far. Are raids only available during certain times?

Think of it this way - For a raid to be available to join someone has to start a Raid.  

Example: USEC team selects Raid 1 to start ... Raid starts.   

NOW Scavs can choose to join. AI spawn automatically inside the raid but players have the choice to join after it's started.

Now scavs attempt to disrupt (or help if they choose) during the raid. When raid ends if you are still alive keep what you've collected.

AgonyRanch

I find myself really confused as to what I want with scav's. I agree with everyone so far. I'll just leave it and see how it turns out; Then I might be able to have a stronger opinion. But right now I HAVE NO IDEA WHAT I WANT! :bebad:

50 minutes ago, StillMindz said:

Well, this is speaking hypothetically.

A raid is 12 PMCs and lasts for an hour and a half - during which you cannot join or leave without dying / escaping. The devs said the exact number of scavs available is in the air, but it's probably not going to equal or outnumber the number of PMCs. You're going to have to find a game and join in a very limited position as a scavenger. Maybe a separate queue for matchmaking.

Once you die, you're not allowed to join the same instance.

Basically, that seems like a situation where you're just not going to be able to consistently play and loot enough to be overpowered. Like you'd be keeping loot, but you'd be doing better and getting experience by playing a primary character, not to mention more games.

TheSnikers

Well, if you acts suspicious for AI scavs when playing scav, they can shoot you just for lulz. You spawn with random but (in most cases) poor weapon and probably no armor. Your health also may be hurt. Your skills are determined randomly. So playing scav requires you to be a good player. Also you can loot 2-3 weapons in a single raid, and I think it is hard to obtain nice rifle without confrontation with PMC players. So, dont worry, and be patient.

Also devs mentioned, if you loot too much, AI scavs will not tolerate it, so if your inventory starts to get full, you will be just another target for everybody ingame.

• Upvote 2

I see it as this. It is a tool with 2 purposes. 

1) Useless players like me get to have fun without loosing our gear in the first 10 minutes of every raid. 

2) Useless players like me can get starter grade gear after loosing all of our gear to the first 2-3 raids. 

As other people have mentioned. The gear you will be able to get out of it is limited and you will be very lucky if you manage to get anything good out of it. High end players are unlikely to play as scav's unless they feel like trolling. 

I think I'm going to very much like being a scav. If I start close the the team and am bleeding I'll shout out calling for help  in need of meds to give them intel, I will offer to check buildings first, scout ahead as you will, I have nothing to lose after all. At the end I could have a chance at them giving me a nice weapon as thanks, even making it out with what you have is reward enough. (All assumptions of course)

• Upvote 1
StillMindz
3 hours ago, Europoor said:

Also devs mentioned, if you loot too much, AI scavs will not tolerate it, so if your inventory starts to get full, you will be just another target for everybody ingame.

I forgot about that. It will be interesting to see how the AI Scavs interact with player Scavs.

34 minutes ago, Falney said:

1) Useless players like me get to have fun without loosing our gear in the first 10 minutes of every raid. 

How do you know you're useless? Maybe you'll be at the top of the leaderboards

6 hours ago, TheSnikers said:

Also you can loot 2-3 weapons in a single raid

This brings up an interesting point. Perhaps loot is scare, so that it is possible for a scav or anyone to go in an not find anything! If this is the case, it is less likely for Scavs to be exploited.

29 minutes ago, Drakkaar said:

I I'll shout out calling for help  in need of meds to give them intel, I will offer to check buildings first, scout ahead as you will, I have nothing to lose after all.

I'll pay you to clear rooms for me, although just be mindful that some days all I might have to offer is Jaguar and sunflower seeds:)

• Upvote 1
4 minutes ago, StillMindz said:

I'll pay you to clear rooms for me, although just be mindful that some days all I might have to offer is Jaguar and sunflower seeds:)

golden kek.jpg

• Upvote 1
16 minutes ago, StillMindz said:

I forgot about that. It will be interesting to see how the AI Scavs interact with player Scavs.

How do you know you're useless? Maybe you'll be at the top of the leaderboards

This brings up an interesting point. Perhaps loot is scare, so that it is possible for a scav or anyone to go in an not find anything! If this is the case, it is less likely for Scavs to be exploited.

I'll take what I can get even if I can leave with an unloaded gun that i started with :P It's better than nothing at all !  I'm a friendly person and willing to help. Plus it creates neat scenarios. I could see a group of other scavs and lead them to a choke point for your team :)   xD

Why playing as a scav is essential for EFT and not going to be a farm fest.

A: as stated above a scav is hasn't got the odds with him to begin with, no armor no friends no reliable weapons no backpack to fill.

B: players inventory from my point of view isn't unlimited, so you can't just bring back every little poo you find as a scav.

C: failing on raids 3 times or so in a row will live you essentially only with your dick!

so somehow you must be able to collect some gear before you want to attempt a higher level raid, and I think that could take you a while!

D: some organizations or players just want to be traders, so they must decide able to collect something to sell.

E: Unknown reasons for the time being.