Scav farming?

StillMindz

StillMindz
25 minutes ago, KREION said:

E: Unknown reasons for the time being.

^This one killed me. :) 

As far as point A - D, I can see how having the ability to play Scav is essential. I understand that some people (including myself) may have their ass handed to them time and time again, and as result they will depend on looting as a Scav lest the game become unplayable with their main character because all they have left is the shirt on their back and a spoon.

1 hour ago, StillMindz said:

How do you know you're useless? Maybe you'll be at the top of the leaderboards

Because the only time I have been at the top of the leaderboards was the one time I played unreal tournament 2001 on my own then I could have fun on Hall of the Giants with the Redeemer and the strangelove mod. 

eltdrgntmr
On February 24, 2016 at 8:38 PM, Scruffy said:

Well explained! I still don't believe you should be able to pass gear to your main character while playing as scav.

cheers

This gives people at least some incentive to play as a Scav; or else no one would want to since there's no reward.

Theoretically I think this concept is quite nice and well balanced, and it would be nice to play without good starting equipment once in a while for a challenge and/or quick game without death penalty; let's see what the gameplay will be like first.

I think my strategy would be to first play out new maps as a Scav; that way when I play the map with my main character I'd get some experience with the map already and have smaller chances of dying.

Edited by eltdrgntmr
On 2/25/2016 at 9:50 AM, eltdrgntmr said:

This gives people at least some incentive to play as a Scav; or else no one would want to since there's no reward.

Theoretically I think this concept is quite nice and well balanced, and it would be nice to play without good starting equipment once in a while for a challenge and/or quick game without death penalty; let's see what the gameplay will be like first.

I think my strategy would be to first play out new maps as a Scav; that way when I play the map with my main character I'd get some experience with the map already and have smaller chances of dying.

I agree with this. People have to have an incentive to play as a Scav or no one will want to. The reward may be minimal but it has to be enough to attract players to play. I also agree that the reward has to be limited because we don't want framing/abuse of this design. Im sure these great developers have though it all out very well. 

PoeticSinner

I like the idea of playable scavs. Another downside of playing scavs, aside from most likely not getting experience or skill progression for your main character, is that you won't be progressing through the story on your character. Hours in a scav are hours not spent getting through raids and moving on to the next mission and eventually free roam. I don't think many people are going to take advantage of friendly scavs. In DayZ, a majority of people shoot friendly Bambi's because you just don't know if they're going to try betraying you for easy gear. A scav who can potentially kill you or your friend who has no way of returning to recover his gear will most likely be  put down due to risk outweighing gein for most people unless it's later in the game and people aren't as worried about death or losing gear. Just my opinion. Kos is so common due to distrust and paranoia and with good reason because a majority of people in games like this will turn on you if they see an opening. If any of you reading this ever played DayZ sa, how often does it end well once the random guy you met finds a gun or after you let your guard down compared to the few friendly peeps who became friends? :P

• 1 year later...
On 2/23/2016 at 6:20 PM, StillMindz said:

In the About section of the official EFT website, there are three bullet points under the Beware of Scavs section that concerned me:

·         … play as a Scav with pre-set random gear, weapon and health condition.

·         No need to worry about death - you will not lose anything from your main character.

·         Get out alive while playing Scav and transfer his loot to your main character stash.

What!? Doesn’t this diminish the tension in the game?

I equate this to having a Ferrari in your garage that you take out on the weekends, and a beat-up car that you use to go to and from work every day.

We create a BEAR or USEC main character, leave them in the safety of home, and then participate in raids as a Scav. This way, if we die in the raid, no harm no foul. But if we win, we come home with goodies to equip our main character with.

If this is the case, there isn’t much fear in death, except for the rare times we bring our main character into the raid.

The main character is our nice car, and the Scav is the Pinto.

I think if they increase recoil or sway for Scav characters, it'd balance it out a bit. The PMC are more elite ,and the scavs are just shitty civies with guns.

On 24/02/2016 at 2:03 AM, StillMindz said:

I just hope the Devs find a nice balance for it all. I am even leaning towards Scruffy's idea of not permitting any loot to be carried over to the main character. It is inconsistent story-wise, and is really the sole exploitation factor that concerns me. 

There were a few points that i haven´t seen anyone refering to, such as the time limit ( to join a raid ) you will have on playing as scav... after joining the first raid as scav and win or die, you will have a timer to be able to join again, or you will have to spend roubles to skip the timer... that alone will bring the possible exploitation of the scav mode to a minimum, cause you wont loot stuff to sell, to then spend it on a scav run.

The other point is that i see a lot of players concerned on what is possible to keep from the scav run to the main character... and this is what i´m having a hard time to understand. Why is it unfair for some player to keep what he looted as a scav and sucessfully survived that raid? How does that affect you ( player that doesn´t agree with scav mode loot )? If anything the fact that more players will have more means to have their main character with more gear is only gonna benefit everyone, because it will bring more geared PMC´s to the raids, right?

Obviously no one wants to see the mode being exploited , but im confident enough that the devs are taking that under consideration for a long time, and didn´t reveal to us everything that will be a part of this mode including the downsides of being a scav.

• Upvote 1
DeltaElite121
On ‎2‎/‎23‎/‎2016 at 7:35 PM, Scruffy said:

IMO playing as a scav should not grant you any benefits. No equipment should be taken back to your stash, after all, random scavenger and your main character are not sharing same stash.

Maybe you can implement some skill points that can transfer to your main character, but even that might be a bad idea.

playing as scav should be reward enough not to lose your main equipment while going all out war!

I agree with this, and was hoping this would be how it's implemented. I think playing as a SCAV should not reward any gear, but it should reward EXP. Maybe offer small amounts of money per unique player kill? If loot is totally accessible, people will abuse it... spawn as a SCAV, figure out where everything is at, then mutiny/collect/camp in the corner of the map until they can escape. 

4 hours ago, DeltaElite121 said:

On 24/02/2016 at 1:35 AM, Scruffy said:

IMO playing as a scav should not grant you any benefits. No equipment should be taken back to your stash, after all, random scavenger and your main character are not sharing same stash.

Maybe you can implement some skill points that can transfer to your main character, but even that might be a bad idea.

playing as scav should be reward enough not to lose your main equipment while going all out war!

I agree with this, and was hoping this would be how it's implemented. I think playing as a SCAV should not reward any gear, but it should reward EXP. Maybe offer small amounts of money per unique player kill? If loot is totally accessible, people will abuse it... spawn as a SCAV, figure out where everything is at, then mutiny/collect/camp in the corner of the map until they can escape. 

So... let me see if i get this. You say you think player scavs shouldn´t get to take any gear back to the stash because afterall they don´t share a stash with the Pmc´s, but both believe that you should take skill points or EXP from it?? how is that any different from taking gear to the stash? how would you main character gain EXP or Skill points from a raid a Scav did and not your main character?

The fact that you wont get any experience or skill progress or any of that is exactly one of the reasons ppl won´t exploit scav mode... because if you keep playing scav you won´t progress your main character. Plus as its been told allready , scav mode will have a timer for you to be able to join a raid, and once you lose or win , you´ll have to wait lets say for ex. 1 hour to join another raid as scav, or pay roubles to skip timer and if you´r paying to join another raid you won´t make any decent profit from what you may carry from a scav raid and what you spend to join another one... Also when scav mode and karma are in game , you´ll have to worry about Bears and Usec´s hunting you ( scav ) down, while you ( scav ) will have to ensure that pmc´s mission fails and they do not escape