Anti-Hacking

screwywabbit

uspenguin

Honestly, all they have to do is make a good anti-cheat and run it at kernel level. Any memory manually written at kernel level is an insta-ban. That will prevent 99% of the hacking community from being able to write a good cheat. This will also prevent aim assist, wall hacks, auto shoot, and any bullet trajectory assistance.
This DOES leave room for read-process memory "radars" or "maps" but if you can stop read-process memory from things other than the normal programs i.e. Razer Synapse, Nvidia GeForce, or Overwolf; then you could be as successful as Battle Eye.

Fingers crossed that the client side of the anti-cheat is kernel level and not easily reverse engineered... otherwise GG.

• Upvote 4
  • 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 108
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Falney

• Dragonmaker82

• ODD

• GG_WOLF

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Preventing cheating is impossible. You can only make it more and more difficult for the hackers (Cheat developers not users) to produce the cheats. I wouldn't get your hopes up for a cheater free game

Both IP and Account BAN! Devs must show their teeth, from the very first cheating action to those ...kids!  No excuses, no warnings! BANHAMMER in their face! 

I searched the FAQ and forums but haven't found anything on this, What are your plans on preventing hackers, The game seems amazing, fun, and enjoyable but how will hackers be dealt with and rooted ou

Posted Images

just put hackers/cheaters in cheater lobbys or restrict their game like that way.

dont wanna play with this people.

Edited by Silvery
  • Upvote 1
  • 2 weeks later...
tonymontana2480
On 31.3.2016 at 6:38 PM, Silvery said:

just put hackers/cheaters in cheater lobbys or restrict their game like that way.

dont wanna play with this people.

I think in Titanfall they do it like that, i love this idea. Cheaters dont get banned so some of them dont get new keys, so less cheaters in the game. And maybe some of them will stop cheating if they see how boring the game will becomes with so many cheaters.

Account security is also important, so less accounts will be hacked and can be used for cheating.

So far the account security is very low, 6 digit password is enough...

Using an optional 2 factor authentication should be rewarded, special gear or more storage e.g.

TheColdVein
On 2/26/2016 at 2:37 PM, Falney said:

Preventing cheating is impossible. You can only make it more and more difficult for the hackers (Cheat developers not users) to produce the cheats. I wouldn't get your hopes up for a cheater free game if I were you.

As long as they don't impersonate Ubisoft and put everything client side, Anti hack measures should be pretty easy to implement as no matter what you set your local hp/ammo/etc at, the server will know what it should be and adjust/ban as necessary. Anti aimbot is the only real threat to games these days (unless you are Ubisoft and purposefully stick to antiquated server technologies).

The most straight forward approach (Which is insufficient theses days) is mouse smoothing detection. If some anti cheat software picks up cursor movement that is too smooth or quick, it will flag it then if it occurs constantly, issues a ban. The down side is cheat developers have wizened up to this and reduced mouse smoothness by adding a certain level of randomness to how the mouse moves. Adding convex motions on longer lock ons etc and preventing the software from locking onto players outside of the FoV. 

I am actually working on a thesis for class on anti cheat technology. Where by it measures mouse movement inside menus where it knows you are not using an aimbot and compares it to mouse movements inside a match. It evaluates your play style over time and makes a decision on whether you are cheating or not. 

The anti cheat software I am developing also allows for remote view of the players in game screen  which when a player is flagged as a cheater, a member of staff would be able to view that players game and either issue a ban, remove the flag or leave the flag in place for further monitoring.

I know all this from experience. I have used made and used cheats in the past, way way in the past. These days I build cheats for games during Alpha's and closed beta's to gather data on games companies as well as to submit the source code to said companies with suggestions on how to prevent said cheats from being used. So I know first hand how difficult it is to prevent them and how easy it is to make them. 

Anecdotally though I have never had an account banned for cheating how ever I have had accounts banned for submitting code in good faith to a company who then got butt hurt over the fact I broke their game. 

I'm intrigued because some of what you said sound worded like an interview I read. It was a guy just like you who was talking about the anti cheat of Contract Wars, and trying to bring the flaws to the dev's and they refused it. 

Nubsauce

IMO, I like how vague they are by saying "Anti-Cheat system". That means no one will know what to look for when they try to create the hacks. I just hope it drastically lowers the chances for hackers to be successful.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
CMBelite-FR

I think they also need to implement a AC system before V1.0, during beta stage/Early access would be nice.

Some Beta tester from the Dvision and R6S has said since the beta to implement an AC system as they were already cheaters during the beta phase.

RageonJack3D
On 3/1/2016 at 0:09 AM, warrioractual1 said:

If what Snikkel says is true, and if you were to apply theory of behavioral psychology to cheating 12 year old troll-kiddies it seems he is indeed right, then a statistical algorithm would be fairly effective at weeding the cheaters out. 

Hi All,

Keeping all the hackable stuff server-side not client-side is a fantastic idea, but may not make for favorable playing conditions such as lag, not sure on that as i don't know the specifics on how much work it would be for the client-server sync to make for smooth game-play.

Here is an idea i have...

From YouTube clips i have watched on cheating for FPS in general, specifically aim-bot and wall-hack/ESP cheats, i believe there could be a way to detect this fairly quickly...

The below is just based on my understanding, i would love to have any errors corrected, as learning is always a good thing for everyone...

----- ESP----

All of these videos show one thing in common, they have a box around enemy players shown on the screen of the cheater, regardless of where the enemy's are on the map. When the enemy player is about to peek around, or run around a corner they are traced and shot with the cheater knowing exactly the moment they pop out from cover. Unfair advantage but hard to conclusively say they are cheating - they may just have amazing reflexes, cant ban someone for that.

---- Aim-bot ----

Aim-bot cheats; i have seen some videos with no box showing enemy players (though this may just be spectator-mode videos). Anyway, the Aim-bot knows where enemy players are, and the exact "head hit box" of the enemy soldier too, so whether there is a visible box showing enemy's or not - the Aim-bot aims at line of sight targets regardless. This is susceptible to players being amazing at the game and just really good at lining up the enemy, cant ban someone for that either. 

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

My theory is very simple - in fact it seems too simple, but here goes...

Since the cheats rely on the awareness of exact player location, (the box we see in videos showing cheats in action), can developers add to the game some bot players - not too many and totally invisible to non cheaters; with no p2p collisions?  These bots will have random player behaviors - as in running patterns and camping patterns based on real player data gathered during beta game-play.

Any player detected chasing after or shooting these otherwise invisible robot(s) (and it has to be obvious, not caught in the cross fire for example), is cheating - there can be no other explanation.

Am i missing something or is this viable?

As said love some feedback on this.

• Upvote 1
delushin

Hopefully its perma ban, these games are always hammered by hacks. Survarium was filled with them till they started perma bans.

Eagle_83
14 minutes ago, delushin said:

Hopefully its perma ban, these games are always hammered by hacks. Survarium was filled with them till they started perma bans.

I hope so..

bfriendlyordie
17 hours ago, RageonJack3D said:

Hi All,

Keeping all the hackable stuff server-side not client-side is a fantastic idea, but may not make for favorable playing conditions such as lag, not sure on that as i don't know the specifics on how much work it would be for the client-server sync to make for smooth game-play.

From YouTube clips i have watched on cheating for FPS in general, specifically aim-bot and wall-hack/ESP cheats, i believe there could be a way to detect this fairly quickly...

The below is just based on my understanding, i would love to have any errors corrected, as learning is always a good thing for everyone...

----- ESP----

All of these videos show one thing in common, they have a box around enemy players shown on the screen of the cheater, regardless of where the enemy's are on the map. When the enemy player is about to peek around, or run around a corner they are traced and shot with the cheater knowing exactly the moment they pop out from cover. Unfair advantage but hard to conclusively say they are cheating - they may just have amazing reflexes, cant ban someone for that.

---- Aim-bot ----

Aim-bot cheats; i have seen some videos with no box showing enemy players (though this may just be spectator-mode videos). Anyway, the Aim-bot knows where enemy players are, and the exact "head hit box" of the enemy soldier too, so whether there is a visible box showing enemy's or not - the Aim-bot aims at line of sight targets regardless. This is susceptible to players being amazing at the game and just really good at lining up the enemy, cant ban someone for that either. 

Since the cheats rely on the awareness of exact player location, (the box we see in videos showing cheats in action), can developers add to the game some bot players - not too many and totally invisible to non cheaters; with no p2p collisions?  These bots will have random player behaviors - as in running patterns and camping patterns based on real player data gathered during beta game-play.

Any player detected chasing after or shooting these otherwise invisible robot(s) (and it has to be obvious, not caught in the cross fire for example), is cheating - there can be no other explanation.

Your idea has merit and would work in principle if the hacks didn't find ways to bypass this as they normally do on most coded hacks.

RikiBreeiki

Playing with brigthness of monitor for night raids, you are risking your eyes,  you are gonna be blind if your enemy uses a flash light.

Cheating is nearly unpreventable;;

You can make a sonar hack , that detects where people are coming from ,

You can make a hack that warns you , when someone around you opens a door or wardrobe

You can make a hack , that basicaly helps you take certain items faster, manage your inventory

You can make a hack that shows where enemy bullets coming from 

Lets say you solved Aimbot, Wall hack   , people are gonna make new hacks , like the ones i mentioned above,  Honestly i feel like a good banning system is much more useful and needed than an anti cheat system.

• Upvote 1

full the game with invisible bots that don't shoot but can be detected by cheats. Cheaters get stuck locking onto targets that are there in essence but not in reality. this sounds brilliant. Their aimbots will go haywire to the point they are useless. Then explode their PC in their face to rid the world of the dirty hacker.

What you gotta do is you gotta make em nervous about downloading hacks. The way to do it is to simply create hack scripts that can ban players when they're used. Or simply ruin the cheaters playtime. However, it's gotta be clever. There's gotta be a random time limit between activating the script and banning the player so that they can't pinpoint the exact causes of the ban. 

Confuse them, frustrate them and they'll want to move onto an easier game that doesn't have such harsh script kiddie measurements.

This the art of psychological warfare. 

Edited by ODD
  • Upvote 1
RageonJack3D
14 hours ago, j4ckdaniel07 said:

Playing with brigthness of monitor for night raids, you are risking your eyes,  you are gonna be blind if your enemy uses a flash light.

Cheating is nearly unpreventable;;

You can make a sonar hack , that detects where people are coming from ,

You can make a hack that warns you , when someone around you opens a door or wardrobe

You can make a hack , that basicaly helps you take certain items faster, manage your inventory

You can make a hack that shows where enemy bullets coming from 

Lets say you solved Aimbot, Wall hack   , people are gonna make new hacks , like the ones i mentioned above,  Honestly i feel like a good banning system is much more useful and needed than an anti cheat system.

I hear you - there are lots of cheats, but i believe the ones that make your interaction with another in a firefight unfair are the worst by far.

The other ones you said - i'm like wow didn't know these even were considered, i guess they (hackers), will do anything they can; the cheaters will pay for the cheats to gain any perceived advantage over others.

I totally agree with the banning thing, don't game accounts have a GUID identifier - not just the name?

Ban the name and ban the GUID and any other distinct thing associated with that person.

Ban for good - can never play any game produced by this developer.

Anyone got an understanding of the whole "keeping sensitive code server side" statement - it sounds simple enough, i suspect network latency would probably be an issue...

Be good to get the perspective of anyone who knows the underlying considerations around all code server side, have never had it explained beyond what i have surmised above...

RageonJack3D
14 hours ago, DCNZ said:

full the game with invisible bots that don't shoot but can be detected by cheats. Cheaters get stuck locking onto targets that are there in essence but not in reality. this sounds brilliant. Their aimbots will go haywire to the point they are useless. Then explode their PC in their face to rid the world of the dirty hacker.

LOL i like your thinking - physically punish them for cheating - yeah would be nice, even if it blew up the GFX card would be good, cost them hundreds and when they finally get a new one and get back on the find they are banned permanently :-)

Its one thing to cheat on a campaign mode game and get a better score than lots of other people, that is just a bragging thing and no harm done - but when 2 real people face off in an online FPS - the better one should have the advantage - not 100% of the time will win but its in their favor.

Its a filthy thing the cheater, i know we will never be 100% cheat free, at the same time, i believe not enough is being done about it.

Thanks for the rep too...   |°_°|

• 2 months later...
Strelok101

Disabled people play games too, such as the old but efficient dragon software and some newer versions, could be misconstrued as cheats. All games on the planet can be "hacked, cracked, cheated"

There are some more difficult than others, but NONE are impossible.

2 facts of which i know are going to cause problems as soon as Alpha hits.

The unbelievable price of the game £49 for the standard edition, that is already seperating people and will create a huge list of cracked copies flooding the market.  I know the industry very well and i have sources that can confirm cracks are already being prepared for the "pirates". The pirates these days are actually more the developers charging silly prices for their product. I am NOT complaining myself, i do not care what price a game is personally, where i live, we are tax and vat free, so games are around £24 max, not to mention legal cd key sites are the best place to buy any game these days.

The devs will have to deal with the cracked copy players first and foremost, and their "anti-cheat" will be laughable, i imagine. There will be the problem aswell, of course, of legit players being banned by mistake.

And let us not forget one thing, like it or not, a lot of the population will be Russian, and they are sadly notorious for having a large proportion of a hacking community anyway, they just can't play fair and love to cheat (that is not a reference to ALL Russians), but a large sum do.

If this post gets deleted for that comment, all i can say to that is....i rest my case !

I look forward to this game and testing it, been a game tester now for 25 years+ so going to be watching this one and hoping to play it for a long time to come.

CMBelite-FR

I don't think EFT will have lots of cracked copies as they couldn't play on official servers, maybe only on private servers.

the thing I fear for EFT is that it's a game that hackers will be interested as there is no kill cam, no possibility to see the players name so impossible to report them.

I think that Overwatch has the best AC in gaming so far, i hope EFT will have one similar

SucoVidya
On 2/27/2016 at 2:26 AM, StillMindz said:

trainfender (one of the devs replying to the EFT subreddit) replied to someone asking about anti-cheat. He said, "yes we making our own anticheat system/ we have a huge experience with this with contract wars"

> our own anticheat system/ we have a huge experience with this with contract warsInsert other media
Well youve donebetter than ubishit did with rainbow 6
#takemymoney

Edited by SucoVidya
On 17/04/2016 at 7:58 AM, Colonel Twerkins said:

I'm intrigued because some of what you said sound worded like an interview I read. It was a guy just like you who was talking about the anti cheat of Contract Wars, and trying to bring the flaws to the dev's and they refused it. 

That wasn't me. I have never actually played Contract Wars. It won't run on Chrome and I won't use Firefox. 

On 27/05/2016 at 2:25 AM, RageonJack3D said:

Hi All,

----- ESP----

---- Aim-bot ----

It is a nice idea you have had but you have already pointed out why it will not work. How do you differentiate between accidental hits and aimbot hits? It is unfortunate that it can not be done. 

To add to the issues. As I stated in my post I believe, the best way to work toward producing a difficult to cheat environment is to put all critical calculations server side. This stops speed hacks, instant kills from cheated bullet damage etc, from being used. Unfortunately as EFT has an offline mode, it means that everything the hacker needs to know is available in the client installed on the pc which makes it a lot easier. 

If it is running offline, the user would likely be able to kill the anti cheat process (They normally run separately to a game) mid game and run their cheats, gather resources from scavs then restart the game without cheats. So I hope the offline and online profiles are separate (I haven't checked.) 

Aim bots can potentially be easy to detect depending on the calibre of the developer and whether the mouse movements are made to be more natural than smooth. Unfortunately a good aimbot is almost impossible to detect as the only sure fire way to detect it is actually illegal to do in parts of Europe. (Record what the player sees as a kill cam i.e. running a process outside the game to record the desktop rather than just recording the internal image. This will catch ESP users.)

All Battlestate Games can really do is the same as Blizzard did with Overwatch and make it look like they are doing nothing then mass perma ban the user. This is something that can be attained by getting the device ID from windows. It will prevent workarounds to access the server like refreshing IP's, using proxy's, changing MAC Address. etc. The user would need to completely change their computer. 

And alas. On a side note, I will not be able to offer the making of cheats for the purpose of bettering EFT as I made a promise to a Clan I want to be part of that I would stop doing so. As I stated in my post I have made them for games with the intent of giving the source code to the developers then they can plug the hole. 

I submitted an infinite money hack for Firefall during the beta by tricking the server into not removing an item I was selling from the inventory then I could just sell that item over and over again. That was patched by the end of the day. 

Double post, I know. I am terrible. BUT I was in the middle of developing server side software for a MMO prototype and suddenly thought of something that could potentially work. 

In game development there is a technology called Ray Casting where you send a beam or a ray from point A to point B and tells the game what is between them. So I thought "what if I was to send out a 1ms beam every 1-2 seconds and detect if there is a player under the cross-hairs and if there is an obstruction between the two players. If there is, check again to see if the same situation arises then once again. One time is a coincidence, twice is a pattern, three times is proof. 

Mark the player as a potential cheat and provide continued surveillance by a member of staff.  

TheAssaultClass
On 5/26/2016 at 9:25 PM, RageonJack3D said:

Hi All,

----- ESP----

---- Aim-bot ----

Server-side? Yes but no. I only see it causing poor performance and lag for a majority of the users. Yes some things could be limited however how much should be sacrificed for the sake of gameplay? You shouldn't cut corners on anti-cheats just to shove it all server side. It force developers to invest a large portion of money into the servers that could go into the game. Not a bad idea, just not an ideal one.

Note: Sorry for being late to the party, just my opinion on the matter.

Furthermore, saving gameplay clips or at least having a way to send them in to developers might not be a bad idea but that would be both very slow and inefficient. We'll need good anti injectors and script detectors and such that would be able to counter new threats. If major AAA titles have a hard time keeping cheaters out, I'm afraid of what might happen to EFT.

Edited by TheAssaultClass