Magor57

Gear durability

Magor57

Hey, so my question for the devs is: Is every type of gear and item going to have a durability? You know, if you empty a clip from an LMG into someone, probably the water bottle in his backpack is not going to be ok. That medkid is gonna be ruined and those mags are not going to be functional. Durability, getting lower with each hit into the part of body where it's being stored, is a nice mechanit that encourages everybody to not play it like "another douchebag simulator", like you stated in the FAQ "How do you plan to avoid the game turning into yet another “douchebag simulator”?"

This is one of the most, maybe if not THE most efficient system to discourage shooting on sight, AKA the douchebag simulator. Guys, this is something you want :D Can you please confirm this? :)@TarkovEscaper

Cryptic Gamer

Hmmm, while I agree with you to an extent this is a KoS simulator and I'm not sure if they'll implement this. You work with your group to complete raids whilst Scavs and the Opposing PMC groups are both competing with you for their share of the loot and they might just want what you have.

At the end of the day this is online gaming. Dealing with the inevitable douchbaggery is something you just have to do, there is no getting away from it. And seeing the state of the DayZ and Rust communities I can tell you that they are watching this game closely and if it lives up to the hype they'll all be over here and toxicity levels will skyrocket.

• Upvote 1

Sushi
20 hours ago, Magor57 said:

Hey, so my question for the devs is: Is every type of gear and item going to have a durability? You know, if you empty a clip from an LMG into someone, probably the water bottle in his backpack is not going to be ok. That medkid is gonna be ruined and those mags are not going to be functional. Durability, getting lower with each hit into the part of body where it's being stored, is a nice mechanit that encourages everybody to not play it like "another douchebag simulator", like you stated in the FAQ "How do you plan to avoid the game turning into yet another “douchebag simulator”?"

This is one of the most, maybe if not THE most efficient system to discourage shooting on sight, AKA the douchebag simulator. Guys, this is something you want :D Can you please confirm this? :)@TarkovEscaper

It doesn't help Day Z at all. I can tell you that much.

• Upvote 1

Magor57
2 minutes ago, Sushi said:

It doesn't help Day Z at all. I can tell you that much.

It did, from the beginning. I played Dayz until it was out for 2 years and the KoS was not that usual. On the other side, look at H1Z1 :-) no (poorly implemented) durability system and KoS from the first day of Alfa :-)

Sushi
Just now, Magor57 said:

It did, from the beginning. I played Dayz until it was out for 2 years and the KoS was not that usual. On the other side, look at H1Z1 :-) no (poorly implemented) durability system and KoS from the first day of Alfa :-)

At first in Day Z mod people were unfamiliar with the game and more willing to talk. Basically, experienced players ran out of things to do because the features came at a crawl, and the zombies became pointless after you find a gun and some mags. In fact, once you become an experienced player, it's a lot safer just to shoot on sight so you don't lose all your gear. It's only really on the lower levels where people try to negotiate at all.

I got Day Z mod at launch (one week in) and my first player encounter was shotgun to the face. It really wasn't all that different. Just less people who did that than now, where it's pretty much universal. There's just nothing to do. Day Z mod's launch was a horrible mess of experienced PKers with thermal vision and silenced M4s (that was one month in), and they only removed features to make standalone.

It's going to be even less effective in EFT since it's a PVP oriented game. There's not really much point in punishing the primary mechanic for a game. Scavs look just like enemy players, use the same weapons and same basic tactics. You might not always see your enemy to begin with. The rat mechanic is going to be the biggest incentive not to murder players. I'm not opposed to gear damaging, but Day Z had a really stupid mechanic for it. If your clothing/backpack "breaks" everything inside it gets broken. In EFT, if you're getting TK'd they're going to shoot you in the head anyway so I don't think it would prove to be a big factor.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 2

Magor57
8 minutes ago, Sushi said:

At first in Day Z mod people were unfamiliar with the game and more willing to talk. Basically, experienced players ran out of things to do because the features came at a crawl, and the zombies became pointless after you find a gun and some mags. In fact, once you become an experienced player, it's a lot safer just to shoot on sight so you don't lose all your gear. It's only really on the lower levels where people try to negotiate at all.

I got Day Z mod at launch (one week in) and my first player encounter was shotgun to the face. It really wasn't all that different. Just less people who did that than now, where it's pretty much universal. There's just nothing to do. Day Z mod's launch was a horrible mess of experienced PKers with thermal vision and silenced M4s (that was one month in), and they only removed features to make standalone.

It's going to be even less effective in EFT since it's a PVP oriented game. There's not really much point in punishing the primary mechanic for a game. Scavs look just like enemy players, use the same weapons and same basic tactics. You might not always see your enemy to begin with. The rat mechanic is going to be the biggest incentive not to murder players. I'm not opposed to gear damaging, but Day Z had a really stupid mechanic for it. If your clothing/backpack "breaks" everything inside it gets broken. In EFT, if you're getting TK'd they're going to shoot you in the head anyway so I don't think it would prove to be a big factor.

Don't mention teamkill. That is not related. I am taking about when you meet new people, not when someone betrays you. 

Well yeah, people will always kill you. But in Dayz, when u finally get to the right mindset, that gear is not important, but fun is, you don't fear losing your gear. You fear not finding anybody for another unique player interaction. Its a great feeling to shoot someone with a shotty, but when you do that let's say 300 times, you go "what's the point of this? It's always the same. I need something else"

Yeah, nothing to do, killing is all there is and it becomes boring. That's the reason to start talking to others and start figuring stuff out.

I am not saying copy the Dayz durability system, but implement it and tweak it :-)

Sushi
2 hours ago, Magor57 said:

Don't mention teamkill. That is not related. I am taking about when you meet new people, not when someone betrays you. 

Well yeah, people will always kill you. But in Dayz, when u finally get to the right mindset, that gear is not important, but fun is, you don't fear losing your gear. You fear not finding anybody for another unique player interaction. Its a great feeling to shoot someone with a shotty, but when you do that let's say 300 times, you go "what's the point of this? It's always the same. I need something else"

Yeah, nothing to do, killing is all there is and it becomes boring. That's the reason to start talking to others and start figuring stuff out.

I am not saying copy the Dayz durability system, but implement it and tweak it :-)

Why? Even if I don't mention it, team-killing is something that exists in EFT but not Day Z, Rust or H1Z1. It's an important gameplay feature that gear durability will effect.

Like I said, that's because Day Z tries to be a survival game with things like hunting animals and building fortifications. The map is very big to space out combat around certain cities.

EFT is session-based PvP with a looting focus. Half the progression is finding loot and adding it to your stash. Finding gear is a huge part of the incentive for player interaction, because you have a place to put that gear outside of your physical character for if you die, and a persistent "bank account."

There's really not long term repercussions for anything that's not factional, and scav enemies are drastically more of a threat than zombies ever were in Day Z. They can instant kill you with a good hit like anyone else.  The logical course of action is to shoot unless you know they're friendly, and since you have grenades and rockets, you might not be able to confirm who you're even firing at before you hit them.

Making bullets destroy the inventory of people you're supposed to shoot is against the point. Especially when developers have stated things like handcuffing and restraining aren't planned. IMO.

• Upvote 1

Magor57

3 words by devs themselves:

Another.Douchebag.Simulator

Let's hope they will stand to their statement and not let EFT become another ads

Kovacs

7 hours ago, Magor57 said:

Let's hope they will stand to their statement and not let EFT become another ads

Wut ? EFT is a factions based game. Shoot on sight guys of the opposite faction is not be a douchebag. 

• Upvote 2

Sushi
11 hours ago, Magor57 said:

3 hours ago, Kovacs said:

Wut ? EFT is a factions based game. Shoot on sight guys of the opposite faction is not be a douchebag. 

Exactly what I was saying. EFT is built around PVP. Shooting other players first is a big focus of the game. It doesn't make you a douche for doing that, and the game also shouldn't be built to punish you for it.

• Upvote 1