Keza

Cover system

Keza

Just curious: will EFT have some kind of cover system?

(I searched the forums but could not really find anything conclusive, maybe I searched wrong places)

Frantic

If I understand correct you mean something like this? Well, this is more like auto-cover/lean...

Keza

Kinda. But I do not see the player really hug the wall, like e.g. The Division/Gears of War.

In most FPS you 'cover' by standing behind something, but you are not really 'in cover'.

GoD1989

From what iv seen, and heard...there is no strict cover system (i.e. press "x" to hug cover"). Its simply a player position cover system. Albeit, a clever one, with weapon/item collision (with walls etc). Blind fire will be a thing if the pre-rendered trailer is anything to go by.

Keza

That is what got from the trailer vid too, but I wanted to make sure.

EDIT: would be a shame if this game does not have any sort of cover....

Edited by Keza

Detector

Don't worry, the developers have got it ...covered...

warrioractual1
2 minutes ago, Keza said:

made me smile there....rascal!

Har har, snikkel means dick in Dutch

Keza

Saw that too and wondered why the heck someone chooses that as his nickname (too easy do not go there!)

PoeticSinner

I'm thinking that it's going to be up to you to position yourself behind cover since they're using lean as well as allowing you to control your couch so you can position yourself and still be able to shoot through or around most cover. I'd personally be upset if they implemented sticky cover mechanics in EFT. As a predominantly first person game(third person being only on certain servers) I really doubt they'll use sticky cover like most third person games do. Fingers crossed.

Keza

As this promises to become a very tactical game, so cover seems appropriate. To what extend remains to be seen.

Sticky, when you mean automatically, really depends on how it gets implemented.

Explicit by pressing key (TD, GoW) might work better.

I really won't like this:

winbackwall.jpg

PoeticSinner

Sticky in the reguards automatically or even pressing a button like in gears. Unless they want to customize every possible cover to fit the animation, it requires all the cover to be set at certain heights so the animations fit and creating a repetitive scheme for level design. It can potentially limit where you can take cover as well as limit creativity of level design as well if they chose to take that route but from the videos they've released, it looks like you're going to be in charge of peaking and crouching behind cover. The first diary covered the crouching mechanic where you hold and scroll to lower or raise your frame to your desired level and can still be mobile at desired height. Mixed with leaning, you would only be stuck standing there like that if you choose not to crouch or lean. 

Edited by PoeticSinner

PoeticSinner
3 minutes ago, Wоlf said:

3rd person view

14545669087155.png

I second that :P

Viktorkm

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad have a nice coversystem for 1st person view.

Vargr

From what we have seen so far, i think the "cover" system aka different stances will be similar to the one in Arma3.

In my opinion this system gives you more freedom in movement and character positioning and faster reaction time to different situations than the one key cover system used in GoW and the Division.

Edited by Vargr
typo

Kovacs

Something like Deus Ex could be interesting. To avoid "3rd person abuse", the camera must be close to our character and blurry thing around us.

Ka9a
8 minutes ago, Kovacs said:

Something like Deus Ex could be interesting. To avoid "3rd person abuse", the camera must be close to our character and blurry thing around us.

There will be 3rd person dedicated servers so cant really abuse it in normal ones.

Keza
4 hours ago, Vargr said:

In my opinion this system gives you more freedom in movement and character positioning and faster reaction time to different situations than the one key cover system used in GoW and the Division.

The cover system should not interfere, but support gameplay. When the gameplay is high speed then sticky cover system will quickly become a pain in the behind.

But no cover at all does not feel right either. I do not know Arma that well. I will check it out.

suicidal__heart
6 hours ago, Wоlf said:

3rd person view

14545669087155.png

hahaha so good.

GoD1989
On 2/29/2016 at 5:17 PM, Viktorkm said:

Red Orchestra 2: Heroes of Stalingrad have a nice coversystem for 1st person view.

i totally agree. However, i find myself never using it. i must prefer to manage my own cover by my characters position, rather than glued to a piece of cover. Works well for blind fire tho i might add.

Ozymandias

I personally do not like automatic cover systems. I like when the player is given the stance options shown in videos like lean and raise/lower body height. This means that cover is not "automatic" and require skill to use, not everyone just hiding behind cover all the time, people may expose themselves without knowing which is good because it creates a skill gap or a skill to learn so that separates long survivor from noobs. Plus all games that use 3rd person cover always favor the camper because they can see anyone who pushes them before they are seen.

Edited by Ozymandias