PoeticSinner

Silencers

PoeticSinner

Just wondering how silent will guns using silencers actually be because a lot of games tend to still be pretty loud for balance reasons. Did a quick search and only only found topics discussing wear and attaching them, but not on their effect audible wise. 

Detector

There is no solid information on that, at least as far I know. But I suppose the developers aim at realism here as much as they do elsewhere. So, the chance we get comically quiet (or loud) suppressors seems slim. 

Ka9a

A "suppressor" is the correct term here and no they wont be completely silent, seeing how game is heavily focused on realism. You will still be able to hear a shot from a distance, it just saves you from waring ear protection especially in closed spaces (IRL)

Edited by Wоlf
  • Upvote 3

vammaane
51 minutes ago, PoeticSinner said:

Just wondering how silent will guns using silencers actually be because a lot of games tend to still be pretty loud for balance reasons. Did a quick search and only only found topics discussing wear and attaching them, but not on their effect audible wise. 

Suppressors only silence the explosion weapon makes when it explodes the powder, but it won't completely suppress it. If subsonic ammo is not used, bullet will reach faster speed than sound that causes bullet to make loud explosion when it goes near you.

So bullet still makes pretty loud sound even when suppressor is used. Also games usually have much quieter sound on weapons when suppressor is used than in real life.

• Upvote 2

Golde

Not that silencers-will-make-gunshot-sound-like-mouse-fart bullshit all over again.

Edited by Golde
  • Upvote 3

Europoor
5 minutes ago, Golde said:

Not that silencers-will-make-gunshot-sound-like-mouse-fart bullshit all over again.

made my day :D 

PoeticSinner

That's what I'm hoping for. I'm simply hoping the realism holds true on this aspect as well :)

Sushi
On 2/29/2016 at 7:11 AM, Wоlf said:

A "suppressor" is the correct term here and no they wont be completely silent, seeing how game is heavily focused on realism. You will still be able to hear a shot from a distance, it just saves you from waring ear protection especially in closed spaces (IRL)

shooting-without-noise-maxim-silencer-fr

Please don't spread misinformation. It's widely known that the first commercial sound-suppressing device was called the "Silencer." Either term works fine.

On 2/29/2016 at 6:24 AM, PoeticSinner said:

I've always felt the larger issue was suppressors completely eliminating muzzle flash and most of the smoke involved, which is going to make counter-sniping and fighting at night a cutie in general.

Edited by Sushi
  • Upvote 1

Ozymandias

People complain about the quietness of suppressors in game, but what's important is that at over 20m the sonic crack should be louder than the fired round (unless your suppressor isn't in very good condition.) This can easily cause confusion on behalf of the player as to which direction the bullet came from, which means the suppressor is doing it's real job, not making the gun quiet, but making it hard for the enemy to locate you or know what to take cover behind.

2 hours ago, Sushi said:

Please don't spread misinformation. It's widely known that the first commercial sound-suppressing device was called the "Silencer." Either term works fine.

Sorry but what you're quoting here is from a time when the guns this "silencer" was meant to be used for didn't even break the sound barrier with this device attached. The primitive design and low grade of ammunition from the time meant unless you put this thing on a rifle you were shooting subsonic bullets. It's only a silencer when it's meant for subsonic ammo, otherwise it's a suppressor :)

Edited by Ozymandias
  • Sad 1

Sushi
7 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

Sorry but what you're quoting here is from a time when the guns this "silencer" was meant to be used for didn't even break the sound barrier with this device attached. The primitive design and low grade of ammunition from the time meant unless you put this thing on a rifle you were shooting subsonic bullets. It's only a silencer when it's meant for subsonic ammo, otherwise it's a suppressor :)

You mean like the primitive, low-grade .30-06 Springfield 1903? Maxim advertised a "Model 15 Silencer (Pg 4)" for it.  Fairly certain that's a modern caliber that is quite supersonic - M1906 ball sent a 150 grain bullet at 2700 FPS. The Maxim Silencers had a modern architecture using baffles like automotive mufflers or modern firearm suppressors today and were invented in the age of smokeless powder. Legally these devices are categorized as silencers as well.

The distinction is quite arbitrary. We really shouldn't correct people over saying "silencer" when it is the original, legal term. Suppressor is the common phrase because it implies that it isn't totally silent but there is no mechanical difference.

Edited by Sushi

Starlight
On 3/2/2016 at 9:07 AM, Ozymandias said:

People complain about the quietness of suppressors in game, but what's important is that at over 20m the sonic crack should be louder than the fired round (unless your suppressor isn't in very good condition.) This can easily cause confusion on behalf of the player as to which direction the bullet came from, which means the suppressor is doing it's real job, not making the gun quiet, but making it hard for the enemy to locate you or know what to take cover behind.

If you actually read the advertisement Sushi linked, it discusses the exact fact that the silencer will not prevent the supersonic crack of high-velocity rounds (clearly denoting their contemporary existence) and specifies that modified ammunition is necessary if you want "noiseless bullet flight".

• Upvote 1

Goochy

I'd say there will be deterioration on weapons and there attachments and maybe just maybe the silencers will get louder the more they deteriorate IE: 100% durability  = whisper silent    10% durability really loud

Sushi
4 hours ago, Goochy said:

I'd say there will be deterioration on weapons and there attachments and maybe just maybe the silencers will get louder the more they deteriorate IE: 100% durability  = whisper silent    10% durability really loud

Silencers tend to last decently if you don't fire rapidly - I saw a video where an AAC can exploded after 200 rounds were fired through one on a Glock, but in general they're long-term investments.

In general, suppressors can last a long time if you maintain them and don't rapid-fire constantly. They do make certain weapons jam more due to directing more gasses back at the working parts though.

johncage213

subsonic rounds should sound like a clock, regular rounds would sound like a type writer

Luden_ULTRA

I'm not gonna pretend to be a gun expert, since all my experience comes from videogames, but if it's true that silencers 
A. Lower accuracy
B. Lower bullet speed --> effective distance
I'd like to see these ingame. In games where silencers don't affect the gun at all, or at max lower damage by 5% or something, silencers are just used in every gun, which makes it boring

Bismarck_
On 03/10/2016 at 6:00 AM, Happyhunter said:

I'm not gonna pretend to be a gun expert, since all my experience comes from videogames, but if it's true that silencers 
A. Lower accuracy
B. Lower bullet speed --> effective distance
I'd like to see these ingame. In games where silencers don't affect the gun at all, or at max lower damage by 5% or something, silencers are just used in every gun, which makes it boring

Cool!
But yes, that's all videogame bullshit. Silencers doesn't lower accuracy or bullet speed, and since EFT aims to be a simulator, it should not be like typical arcade games.

Zoraxon

*Suppressors. I have seen an MP5 silenced to completion. Cycle, Bullet impact, shell tinkling on the ground. Terrifying.

docbrick

If they do plan on implementing suppressors correctly, I hope they include subsonic ammunition and have different sound effects for the suppressors when using sub-sonic vs standard super sonic ammo.

Of course, some rounds are naturally sub-sonic: .45 ACP for example.

There are a lot of variables and it should prove to be an interesting exercise for the development team. 

On 10/6/2016 at 11:41 AM, Bismarck_ said:

Cool!
But yes, that's all videogame bullshit. Silencers doesn't lower accuracy or bullet speed, and since EFT aims to be a simulator, it should not be like typical arcade games.

You are correct. Glad to see that correct information is being disseminated. 

Dennis26

as we all know there is no way you will be able to silence a gun 100% but i would think it will be very realistic in this game so i would guess a supressor would muffle the sound to about arma 3 gunnshot

Bravo6Delta

I think this raises another question, subsonic ammo?

BrandonS101
4 hours ago, Bravo6Delta said:

I think this raises another question, subsonic ammo?

i dont think its the ammo that will fix it, its the chamber that releases the bullet opening after the bullet falls out i think

Bravo6Delta
1 minute ago, BrandonS101 said:

i dont think its the ammo that will fix it, its the chamber that releases the bullet opening after the bullet falls out i think

What on earth are you talking about?

I was asking if there is a possibility of subsonic ammunition being implemented into the game. To clear up any confusion.  

Jorick

It's very likely to get implemented to me, as we already got tons of different types of ammo, and the devs are aiming for high realism.

snufylaucheur

devs record real sound of weapons so they can do the same thing with a supressor

BrandonS101
2 hours ago, snufylaucheur said:

devs record real sound of weapons so they can do the same thing with a supressor

Ya they did a video on it, it was awesome!