Alpha-30k

Swapping firing hands?

Alpha-30k

Dear Devs,

Is it currently or will it be possible to swap weapon hands in EFT? For example, I'm firing on a corner with a right-handed stance, but then want to swap to a left-handed stance where my left hand is on the pistol grip of the rifle instead of the right. This is something I've always wanted in a game and no game has really done it that I know of (CS:GO allows this mechanic, but it is statically set through the game menu and not changeable on the fly).

Thanks and have a great day/night,

Silent

Edited by SilentOption

TheSnikers

No, not in the alpha. I believe it is stated somewhere in FAQs or in "devs answers" thread .

Alpha-30k
Just now, TheSnikers said:

No, not in the alpha. I believe it is stated somewhere in FAQs or in "devs answers" thread .

Ah, ok. Thanks I must have missed that point, but do you know if it is indeed a planned feature or not?

TheSnikers

I'm not sure, but I think this feature might be after th release. But I'm so unsure, we need  @Claus here

Scruffy
1 hour ago, SilentOption said:

Dear Devs,

Is it currently or will it be possible to swap weapon hands in EFT? For example, I'm firing on a corner with a right-handed stance, but then want to swap to a left-handed stance where my left hand is on the pistol grip of the rifle instead of the right. This is something I've always wanted in a game and no game has really done it that I know of (CS:GO allows this mechanic, but it is statically set through the game menu and not changeable on the fly).

Thanks and have a great day/night,

Silent

I̶ ̶b̶e̶l̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶A̶r̶m̶a̶ ̶3̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶

My bad, I misread the main post.

Arma 3 has the stance auto-change while leaning :

ttp3_228.jpg

Edited by Scruffy

Nyctea
5 часов назад, TheSnikers сказал:

I'm not sure, but I think this feature might be after th release. But I'm so unsure, we need  @Claus here

Unfortunately not, we don't plan to make it even after release. It's a big disappointment for all of us, but this is one of the cases that required compromise. To make it look good and realistic we would have to do a whole set of new animations - too time-consuming, too much additional HDD space for a minor feature.  Leaning stance change - maybe.

As for CS... well, you know, CS is cybersport discipline, left-handed grip is more of a pro-level balancing feature for left-handed players there. And it's done in the simplest of ways - by mirroring weapon model and animations. No smoking-hot shells flying in your face - no fun =).

• Upvote 1

smokatoke
1 hour ago, Claus said:

No smoking-hot shells flying in your face - no fun =).

Love it

Natalino
2 hours ago, Claus said:

Unfortunately not, we don't plan to make it even after release. It's a big disappointment for all of us, but this is one of the cases that required compromise. To make it look good and realistic we would have to do a whole set of new animations - too time-consuming, too much additional HDD space for a minor feature.  Leaning stance change - maybe.

As for CS... well, you know, CS is cybersport discipline, left-handed grip is more of a pro-level balancing feature for left-handed players there. And it's done in the simplest of ways - by mirroring weapon model and animations. No smoking-hot shells flying in your face - no fun =).

I think I agree with that, but what about leaning to the side when prone and also different body movements to peak in corners and wholes while you are crouched and prone as well. (something I like from ARMA 3, realistic as well) 

Roxor
17 hours ago, Claus said:

Claus, I know it would be time-consuming but this is not a minor feature in my opinion.  Just like the rest of the animations that other games leave out, EFT has done wonders implementing them into the game. Now we can see how these new animations can make for vary interesting game play.  I can imagine just like the reload animations are scaled to the players experience, the shooting from your off side would reduce accuracy based on players experience. An experienced player would not have nearly no penalty when shooting or reloading from the off side. Where as a newbie may not want to try a shoulder switch.  

Maybe make it possible in the games framework for a future expansion. Just a thought.

Alpha-30k

I think that it is a very cool feature that a lot of people would love, but would take the entire community to sway the devs to actually put it in. Either all or nothing you know? I'm so glad everyone has been discussing this so much and this is the best forum community I've been a part of in a while. However, that being said, devs can't do EVERYTHING that we'd want them to so at the end of the day if it is too much work then it's too much work. Again, I would much rather have the feature because switching hands when changing stances is very crucial to being tacticool (lol not really, but it is very essential for revealing as little of yourself as possible). Thanks for the response Claus and I hope to see more from EFT soon :D.

22 hours ago, Scruffy said:

I̶ ̶b̶e̶l̶i̶e̶v̶e̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶ ̶A̶r̶m̶a̶ ̶3̶ ̶h̶a̶s̶ ̶t̶h̶a̶t̶.̶

My bad, I misread the main post.

Arma 3 has the stance auto-change while leaning :

ttp3_228.jpg

The thing that is so cool about ArmA 3 is that not only can you perform basic contextual leans, but you can literally change your stances as well. Now EFT is taking the stance thing a more detailed route by literally letting to scale your height with the mouse wheel so that's interesting. However, I do hope some form of leaning mechanic or cover mechanic is implemented to accommodate players that like to swap main hands. It definitely helps, like I've said, with keeping a low profile, but still being able to effectively put rounds down range.

Roxor
10 minutes ago, SilentOption said:

The thing that is so cool about ArmA 3 is that not only can you perform basic contextual leans, but you can literally change your stances as well. Now EFT is taking the stance thing a more detailed route by literally letting to scale your height with the mouse wheel so that's interesting. However, I do hope some form of leaning mechanic or cover mechanic is implemented to accommodate players that like to swap main hands. It definitely helps, like I've said, with keeping a low profile, but still being able to effectively put rounds down range.

Ok but Arma 3 also did not do this correctly. When you switch in real life, your trigger hand becomes the support and the support becomes the trigger. Where as in Arma 3 they just switch the shoulder and the hands stay the same. Lol that's like playing airsoft.  Try shooting a real rifle like that, you will notice that you lose almost all recoil management, in return you are far less accurate in this weird Arma 3 stance. But just like EFT, Arma3 devs did not want to do the hard work and they cut corners. Also Arma 3 you have to do a full on lean to shot from your left. Such a shame.

Sushi
18 hours ago, Roxor said:

Ok but Arma 3 also did not do this correctly. When you switch in real life, your trigger hand becomes the support and the support becomes the trigger. Where as in Arma 3 they just switch the shoulder and the hands stay the same. Lol that's like playing airsoft.  Try shooting a real rifle like that, you will notice that you lose almost all recoil management, in return you are far less accurate in this weird Arma 3 stance. But just like EFT, Arma3 devs did not want to do the hard work and they cut corners. Also Arma 3 you have to do a full on lean to shot from your left. Such a shame.

That's a perfectly legitimate way to fire a rifle in real life. You use it to maintain the same grip, same trigger press and avoid fouling up your sling. You can keep using weapon-mounted lights if you don't have a pressure switch. It's also a quite a bit faster. If you're a lot less accurate, that's a training issue. You can miss firing a rifle any number of ways and you should always practice with your off-side.

Not sure why the recoil management is going to be devastated by firing a 5.56 rifle off your off shoulder either... I mean, you're not firing an anti-tank rifle here.

Scruffy
46 minutes ago, Sushi said:

That's a perfectly legitimate way to fire a rifle in real life. You use it to maintain the same grip, same trigger press and avoid fouling up your sling. You can keep using weapon-mounted lights if you don't have a pressure switch. It's also a quite a bit faster. If you're a lot less accurate, that's a training issue. You can miss firing a rifle any number of ways and you should always practice with your off-side.

Not sure why the recoil management is going to be devastated by firing a 5.56 rifle off your off shoulder either... I mean, you're not firing an anti-tank rifle here.

What he said, it is a fast adaptation to openings in the left, or right turn corners. And, you can always shift quickly to your default stance.

Alpha-30k
On 3/5/2016 at 2:42 AM, Roxor said:

I was implying that ArmA 3 allowed for left peaking with the same trigger hand. When I used the term "stances" I meant you can literally change your posture with the push of a button to peak over/under a certain obstacle. Still both ways are effective depending on the engagement you are involved in.

RavenSpecV
10 hours ago, SilentOption said:

I was implying that ArmA 3 allowed for left peaking with the same trigger hand. When I used the term "stances" I meant you can literally change your posture with the push of a button to peak over/under a certain obstacle. Still both ways are effective depending on the engagement you are involved in.

Siege does something similar where the Op pulls the weapon to their other shoulder.

Please don't implement ArmA control scemes... -.- 

Sushi
15 hours ago, SilentOption said:

Honestly I think this isn't a bad idea if it's just the specific animation for left-hand peeking. You wouldn't need to do specific left-hand reloads and malfunction clearances since you'd go back to strong-side for that.

MishaJames

I enthusiastically support eventually having shoulder switching in Escape from Tarkov, for pie-ing left hand corners & such. :x That would be a very practical, handy, & useful feature, a feature that would add to realism, a feature we could put to good use every time we play online. 

Edited by MishaJames