Whats with the RAM usage?

SpeedyD34D

Jezeppe

Big Maps ⇒ A lot of textures.
Lots of high res textures ⇒ High GDRAM requirement.
Not enough GDRAM space ⇒ dynamic loading of textures needed.

Dynamic loading of textures:

1. vision calculation and loading from HD ⇒ High CPU usage
  2. all textures in RAM loading into GDRAM when needed ⇒ High RAM usage

That's the main reason why pretty much all games with an open world or big maps have shitty graphics. It's just hard to make it work without high requirements. It is also the reason why EfT will never have an "open world" (without sessions) unless they downgrade the graphics or increase the requirements. Some say it is a memory leak (sloppy development), but even without that this game will have issues.

• Upvote 3
Ozymandias

@Jezeppe

It's neither a memory leak nor what you describe. It's simply that the application does not yet do proper garbage collection for unused assets, so it does not unload them when no longer necessary. An example is that for every unique item in your stash, each one in the traders, and when you loot people, boxes, etc. in game an icon is generated from a 3D model then loaded into ram. These are not unloaded when the item is no longer available to the player, and stay loaded indefinitely. This is again, not a memory leak but a problem concerning garbage collection of unused real-time generated assets.

• Upvote 3
Jezeppe
6 hours ago, Ozymandias said:

@Jezeppe

It's neither a memory leak nor what you describe. It's simply that the application does not yet do proper garbage collection for unused assets, so it does not unload them when no longer necessary. An example is that for every unique item in your stash, each one in the traders, and when you loot people, boxes, etc. in game an icon is generated from a 3D model then loaded into ram. These are not unloaded when the item is no longer available to the player, and stay loaded indefinitely. This is again, not a memory leak but a problem concerning garbage collection of unused real-time generated assets.

Textures/models are unmanaged resources - you cannot garbage collect them. The resources have to be loaded manually whenever they are needed. And to do that on a big map you have to dynamically load the resources which you can potentially see, which requires computation of vision. That leads to problem 1 I listed and results in a much higher CPU usage. Those are the choices for resource management, either a lot of required RAM or high CPU load. A game which has big maps and good graphics will face either of these issues. And seeing how EfT already is very heavy on the CPU, I doubt they will unload the RAM. Much easier to just edit the system requirements. The only problem stays that to make this game open world you would need like 32+GB or downgrade the graphics.

Ozymandias
16 hours ago, Jezeppe said:

Textures/models are unmanaged resources - you cannot garbage collect them. The resources have to be loaded manually whenever they are needed. And to do that on a big map you have to dynamically load the resources which you can potentially see, which requires computation of vision.

Except I wasn't talking about live assets from the render scene, I'm talking about resources which are being generated by scripts, such as object icons. They take up a lot of space in RAM currently. From loading the main menu without opening the stash, to opening my stash, and all traders, can go from less to 1GB and end up as high as 6GB of ram without ever opening any maps. This is a simple problem of these generated assets not being marked as needing to be unloaded from memory and destroyed after they are being generated.

A memory leak implies unmanaged resources which are taking up more room in an unintended and uncontrolled fashion. These assets can easily be purged from memory with proper application of marking them as "dirty" for garbage collection whenever the items leave the scene.

Edited by Ozymandias
Natalino

@SpeedyD34D, please name your title appropriately and do not use masked profanity on it. Express your topics in a proper way. I have edited it this time.

• Upvote 1
SpeedyD34D
On 29. 5. 2017 at 0:17 PM, Jezeppe said:

Textures/models are unmanaged resources - you cannot garbage collect them. The resources have to be loaded manually whenever they are needed. And to do that on a big map you have to dynamically load the resources which you can potentially see, which requires computation of vision. That leads to problem 1 I listed and results in a much higher CPU usage. Those are the choices for resource management, either a lot of required RAM or high CPU load. A game which has big maps and good graphics will face either of these issues. And seeing how EfT already is very heavy on the CPU, I doubt they will unload the RAM. Much easier to just edit the system requirements. The only problem stays that to make this game open world you would need like 32+GB or downgrade the graphics.

On 29. 5. 2017 at 4:28 AM, Jezeppe said:

Big Maps ⇒ A lot of textures.
Lots of high res textures ⇒ High GDRAM requirement.
Not enough GDRAM space ⇒ dynamic loading of textures needed.

Dynamic loading of textures:

1. vision calculation and loading from HD ⇒ High CPU usage
  2. all textures in RAM loading into GDRAM when needed ⇒ High RAM usage

That's the main reason why pretty much all games with an open world or big maps have shitty graphics. It's just hard to make it work without high requirements. It is also the reason why EfT will never have an "open world" (without sessions) unless they downgrade the graphics or increase the requirements. Some say it is a memory leak (sloppy development), but even without that this game will have issues.

@Jezeppe Thx you for putting light on this issue ;) I've bought another 8gb of RAM and everything is okey. :)

sankeerths

Hi guys ,I play on laptop which has 16gb ram ,770 gtxm graphics card 3gb  and i7 4th gen 

Will this game run ?

• 2 weeks later...
FredTheNoob

Specs necessary according to system requirements lab:

Escape from tarkov minimum requirements:
CPU: Dual-core processor 2.4 GHz (Intel Core 2 Duo, i3), 2.6 GHz (AMD Athlon, Phenom II)
RAM: 6 GB
OS (Operating system): Windows 7/8/10 (64 Bit)
Video card: DX9 (DirectX9) compatible graphics card with 1 GB memory
Sound card: Yes
Disk space needed: 8 GB

Escape from tarkov recommended requirements:
CPU: Quad-core processor 3.2 GHz (Intel i5, i7), ?? 3.6 GHz (AMD FX, Athlon)
RAM: 8 GB
Video card: DX11 (DirectX11) compatible graphics card 2 GB or more of memory

JAGUAR1950
2 hours ago, FredTheNoob said:

Specs necessary according to system requirements lab:

Escape from tarkov minimum requirements:
CPU: Dual-core processor 2.4 GHz (Intel Core 2 Duo, i3), 2.6 GHz (AMD Athlon, Phenom II)
RAM: 6 GB
Video card: DX9 (DirectX9) compatible graphics card with 1 GB memory

Escape from tarkov recommended requirements:
CPU: Quad-core processor 3.2 GHz (Intel i5, i7), ?? 3.6 GHz (AMD FX, Athlon)
RAM: 8 GB
Video card: DX11 (DirectX11) compatible graphics card 2 GB or more of memory

Link: Approximate system requirements dated 2016-01-05

https://www.escapefromtarkov.com/news/id/11

To be honest the information provided here on the Web page is the Approximate system requirements pre-ALPHA testing dated 2016-01.05

For obvious reasons and numerous graphical updates within the game the amount of recommend RAM: is now 16GB.

Maybe the developers should update the WEB PAGE with the correct information as any prospective purchasers can and would find the system requirements information misleading. Not difficult to do !!!!   

• Upvote 1
On 29.05.2017 at 4:28 AM, Jezeppe said:

That's the main reason why pretty much all games with an open world or big maps have shitty graphics. It's just hard to make it work without high requirements. 

LOL LOL LOL, i dont agree.

I have only 8gb ram and i can run Witcher 3 on high quality.

OPTIMISATION is a key, but it only depends if developers are serious.

PrivateLogin
13 hours ago, Smok_91 said:

LOL LOL LOL, i dont agree.

OPTIMISATION is a key, but it only depends if developers are serious.

Yes ! optimisation is a key , right now. :) 

• Upvote 1
On ‎12‎.‎06‎.‎2017 at 0:48 PM, Smok_91 said:

Witcher 3 is neither a shooter nor a multiplayer game. It works with a very short live radius, where the world is actually "alive". That leads to a very low CPU usage, which then can be used for dynamic asset loading instead, see above. In EfT the entire map is "alive", because you have a very high interaction (shooting/vision) range and it's a multiplayer game, so you need information about everything, even if it is happening on the other side of the map.

The CPU load in EfT is already very high. Optimizing the code is a thing, but unless it is a total mess right now, you cannot expect wonders from it. If they now need 16GB of RAM for the bigger maps, I don't think we will ever see an open world of Tarkov which contains all locations and is about 10x that size. Unless of course they downgrade the graphics to reduce the size of the assets, which is what The Division did.

I dont really agree with this "not live" world in Witcher. game has very, very big range of view (you can see details of villages/castles etc from many kilometres). same thing is with city locations- they're really big and detailed.

and i dont understand your argument about being shooter. you mean FPP game? I will surprise you - W3 has FPP mod ;)