Headset or Radio must be equipped on character in order to join a group

alex8xela

Headset or Radio must be equipped on character in order to join a group and play with teammates.  

128 members have voted

1. 1. Should this be a feature, what do you think?

• Yes -make wearing a headset or radio on your character compulsory in order to play with teammates
    • No -I don't like this idea

alex8xela

I feel that we should have to have a headset or radio (or any other item that allows for communication) equipped on our character in order to create or join groups and play with teammates. In real life you would not be able to work with teammates and squad-mates successfully without a means of communication.
   -IRL, there would not be a high quality voice channel like Discord or Teamspeak - there would be no communicating over the internet in the heat of battle and people would actually struggle to communicate effectively. They would however use actual radios and headsets!

Pros:

-Encourages the use of the in game communication devices. -This means that the devs can put into use their own items for communication and widen the actual working and useful content of the game. - This would allow for highly realistic combat scenarios where you will not know if your teammate got killed, who killed him and from where. Furthermore, those with the most high end communication items would be able to use encrypted channels which cannot be listened into by other players. (Simply because these other players do not have good enough gear, maybe only basic civilian radios)

-Could allow for interesting side quests

-Would allow for meeting up with a random player and making an alliance in the middle of the raid. A bit like how radios work in dayz currently...

-The devs would be able to determine for how long after he has been fatally shot the player is still able to speak and use his comm's. There could even be skills which allow the player to speak for longer after he has been 'killed' ('killed' meaning the animation before death screen.)

-The devs have said that they want EFT to be a game where your chances of survival are increased by playing in a group.

Cons:

-Might make the game too boring and difficult for the average casual gamer who just wants to have a fun time playing with his friends. This could be stopped by making basic communication items the starting gear so that they are not too difficult to get your hands on.

SO; 

I realise everyone will respond to this differently, so please tell me what you think below.
-I personally think that EFT needs this to be a feature, in order for it to be the realistic game that it is supposed to be. (Not the be all, end all, just something I feel would work well with the other features already in EFT.)

P.S.

The devs have mentioned that their anti-cheat program can detect if Skype is being used, perhaps it can also detect discord and teamspeak and other programs. Just a thought, but maybe specific server owners (in the far away future of free roam mode) could choose whether or not they make their server a hardcore enabled server where people HAVE to have a headset or radio equipped on their character and not be running TS or discord in the background. All in order for players to be able to group up or not. So they could choose whether or not the anti-cheat kicks players who are disobeying the communication realism rules.

Also, maybe different raid locations may not be available for teaming up in the future (during full game release) and then 'groupable' raids will be unlocked after the first 1, 2 or 3 raids completed.

Edited by alex8xela
  • Upvote 4
gleylancer

Good concept, just seems like it makes cooperative play needlessly more tedious, as for voip, most people who intend to coop are just going to use an dedicated chat client anyway so its kind of redundant.

• Upvote 1

I think it would be a good idea but I also think more casual gamers could still use things like teamspeak to communicate but if you and your friends want a challenge I think it would be a good idea.

SCAV_AI

holy hell....i often dont have a head set....and i love this idea.

if there was a fast enough and expressive enough way to use your y key up in here for those close to you, maybe a press for quiet and double slap that key thang for louder. with the shift key down to be an aggro little chap. or like y brings up a gesture based radial menu. say gesture up and it brings up stuff like "lets work" and that stuff, hover over your choise, say if that is up, than bring the mouse up (it locking the position you are facing while the 'y' key is depressed) and then release for quiet, or further up (in this case) and release to say it loudly.

down for your agro.

Stahlbengel

Hey sorry but i really dont like this idea.

i often use Teamspeak to communicate just with people. 

what if you sit in teamspeak with a friend talking (he is not playing Tarkov) and then you get banned.

That is not how it should work. it would kill tarkov for a lot of people.

like : ok i have to leave teamspeak now because i want to play a game.

or : hey i got banned because i forgot to close teamspeak.  

which also might happen.

it would bring some realism but it has to many flaws. 

Also there are so many communication devices / no name communication platforms that you cant control.

PotatoWarriah
35 minutes ago, Stahlbengel said:

hey i got banned because i forgot to close teamspeak

You are disliking whole idea just because that one detail, which you got wrong by the way.
He said that this could maybe be a requirement for "hardcore" private servers (if BSG ever allows users to host their own raid servers). And it would not ban you, just prevent you from playing on that server - you would get kicked, meaning you would have to go playing on public servers.

In reality, I doubt there will always be "private" servers for this game, because of its session nature, unless it will be something like "arena" where you go to play but cannot bring back any gear (like current offline mode).

• Upvote 1
Stahlbengel

i read this before "PS" was edited but answered later.  so it was not clear to me that those are just some servers

with this specifications i can go perfectly along.

now it makes sense to me

• Upvote 1
alex8xela
On 24/07/2017 at 7:04 PM, Stahlbengel said:

hey i got banned because i forgot to close teamspeak.

I said kicked, not banned. Besides, if what I thought of did ever happen (somehow I highly doubt it) the server would probably just prevent you from joining until you had closed all programs like TeamSpeak or Discord...

Edited by alex8xela
alex8xela
On 24/07/2017 at 7:04 PM, Stahlbengel said:

Hey sorry but i really dont like this idea.

i often use Teamspeak to communicate just with people. 

what if you sit in teamspeak with a friend talking (he is not playing Tarkov) and then you get banned.

That is not how it should work. it would kill tarkov for a lot of people.

like : ok i have to leave teamspeak now because i want to play a game.

or : hey i got banned because i forgot to close teamspeak.  

which also might happen.

it would bring some realism but it has to many flaws. 

Also there are so many communication devices / no name communication platforms that you cant control.

Yes, it was just a thought, I highly doubt that what I wrote in P.S. would ever function properly if it was actually added.

It just seems too complicated.

Moreover; what does everyone think of this idea please reply below!!!

:D:D:D

On 24/07/2017 at 10:52 PM, Stahlbengel said:

i read this before "PS" was edited but answered later.  so it was not clear to me that those are just some servers

with this specifications i can go perfectly along.

now it makes sense to me

Yes, sorry about that I only thought of that strange possibility after I posted the original suggestion...

• Upvote 1
Aintence

The last thing you wanna do is make cooperation more tedious. Maybe if you dont lose the headset kinda like your knife then sure. Otherwise a big no from me.

• Upvote 1
alex8xela
11 minutes ago, Aintence said:

The last thing you wanna do is make cooperation more tedious. Maybe if you dont lose the headset kinda like your knife then sure. Otherwise a big no from me.

What if radios and headsets were made as starting gear that all players find in their stash at the beginning. Then as they get increased loyalty with traders and level up and unlock more raids (in full release ofc) they will be able to buy and find radios/headsets of higher quality.

How would you feel if radios/headsets were made basic gear that all players start with in their stash. Obviously they would still be valuable.

(off topic slightly)

Maybe if someone hoarded a lot of radios, they would become the 'go-to guy' in the flea market to buy radios from.

Then maybe the clan leader could place a large order to a trader or buy a weekly package where maybe each clan member gets gifted 5 radios each.

So hopefully they wouldn't become too hard to find, but that they would be considered a valuable commodity, as both a way of teaming up in a group with friends and also as quest items. Imagine that the trader gives you a radio, and then tells you to go into factory and await further instructions. He might ask you to extract an important piece of information.

Imagine that peacekeeper, (remember that he is the UN guy) wants you to find a piece of evidence that makes it look like USEC or BEAR are harming civilians. Then he will get a legal deal to take their company down.

From there, you as the player could decide whether or not you give it to PEACEKEEPER or to PRAPOR, your loyalty to the traders could be determined...

Just think of the possibilities...

Edited by alex8xela
I reckon that in the future you will be able to spawn together as a group, so co-operation would most probably become less tedious.
dustandflour

Yes it'd be a good idea if the headset also enables some kind of marker for your teammate. something subtle like a battlefield-esque triangle above their head. I feel the cost of these headsets should also be a substantial amount so that it encourages for people to either decide for a price to see their teammate and else just guess.

alex8xela
8 minutes ago, dustandflour said:

Yes it'd be a good idea if the headset also enables some kind of marker for your teammate. something subtle like a battlefield-esque triangle above their head. I feel the cost of these headsets should also be a substantial amount so that it encourages for people to either decide for a price to see their teammate and else just guess.

I highly doubt that the devs will add a marker as it is definitely nowhere near realistic...

They will definitely be adding armbands and the ability to customize clothing.

So you will be able to tell who your teammates are.

Anyway - thank you for your feedback

• Upvote 1
Anti_Venom

I like the idea, as long as getting that equipment would be easy enough to where you dont have to "farm" fo it for an hour before you could play with your friend

• Upvote 2
dustandflour
1 minute ago, alex8xela said:

I highly doubt that the devs will add a marker as it is definitely nowhere near realistic...

They will definitely be adding armbands and the ability to customize clothing.

So you will be able to tell who your teammates are.

Anyway - thank you for your feedback

Oh yeah hadn't even thought about certain accessoires that could do the job. Even better!

This idea is 50/50. Has its pros has its cons. On the one hand you're right, it could discourage casual gamers. But then again EFT isn't meant to be played as a casual game. This is a serious game for serious people who have enough spare time to commit to their EFT character.

I'm going to approve of this idea and give the devs the opportunity to put it in the "Boardroom Discussion" pile. Well done.

psyhogenesis

It is a good idea with only one IF. If the devs will make a decent in-game voip.

Imagine that there is allready a decent voice chat in the game implemented. Then:
1) The players do not have any gear or radios - they will only communicate with their (in-game) mouth which means that everybody in some range will hear their conversation and if 2 people too far away one from another - they wont hear what the other is talking about.
(The somewhat cool idea is to make a slider similar to the speed of walking  run\walk and slider to player vertical position stand tall/sit but that will represent the loudness of players voice - whisper\yell so player can decide whether he wants to whisper or to talk or yell if his teammate is too far away)

2) The players who have a standard gear or a radio - will provide players with decent communication (ieg in 150m radius they will hear each other through radio and they will not have to scream, just talk, and other players will be able to hear their conversation only if they're really close) The further players are the worse they hear each other (static noise or smth)

3) The players who have a advanced gear - the radius is large, no static on the open. Other players can hear their conversation if they are less than few meters away

This will also provide a possibility to implement some sort of jammers so one sqad will be able to ambush another and cut out their comms.
Also implementing static noise or distortion in comms if one of the teammates is underground in bunkers or caves (if there will be such) is a great immersion thing.

Then having a gear will make total sense. You wont be needing discords, teamspeaks etc. All you need will need is the game itself and a teammate :)

• 2 weeks later...
alex8xela

Please vote on this idea everyone so that the developers can get an awareness of what people think about the possibility of this becoming a compulsory feature!   :D:D

• 3 weeks later...
PadrePadre

No way.

I'm playing Tarkov just for nice games with friends, taking away a possibility to join a game with my friends because ... I'm out of headset or radio (?) sounds ridiculous.

let's go further - no medic education, no healing, and if you won't put your gun license near your monitor - you can't use guns in Tarkov. Seems legit.