TarkovEscaper

Translation of interview for nim.ru

TarkovEscaper

Original interview in Russian: http://www.nim.ru/navi/intervyu-escape-from-tarkov/

A little while ago we have received a call to our editorial office. An anonymous person who introduced himself as anonymous, recommended us to get on the Internet and check the latest news.

The YouTube featured a news broadcast from the city called Tarkov. A group of men with military appearance and serious attitude ran a search of an empty warehouse, subsequently coming into intense firing contact with equally serious-looking gentlemen of unmistakably English-speaking origin.

The events on the screen struck us as astonishingly brutal and hardcore, sealing the impression by accompanying of bilingual salty language.

Astounded as we were, we have decided to contact the Escape from Tarkov developers - Battlestate Games studio - and find out all the details on the game. Our call was answered by Battlestate Games CEO and project lead Nikita Buyanov.

NIM: How was your studio founded, and how did you manage to keep your game a secret for so long?
Nikita Buyanov: We were previously known (and continue to be known) as Absolutsoft. This is another one of our companies that develops the online browser FPS Contract Wars. CW gave us everything we needed for the further growth, both experience and resources. Actually, this game laid the foundations of the fictional game universe called Russia 2028. We have kept our second studio, Battlestate Games, and the Escape from Tarkov project secret since 2012, to achieve the maximum announcement effect. Keeping silence was not that hard, since nobody even suspected that we were working on such an ambitious and serious project.

NIM: Let’s get this straight: what is the city of Tarkov? Why is everybody shooting each other up? Where all the authorities, firefighters, police and army?
N.B.: The history of the conflict is rather broad, and describing it here would make a very long story. Tarkov is a fictional city in a fictional Norvinsk region. In our game universe this city is one of the major Russian financial and industrial hubs, and the scene for the conflict of interests of TerraGroup transnational corporation and Russian government. Both sides eventually resorted to the force resolution of the conflict and hired two private military companies, PMCs. The further escalation of the conflict led to the Tarkov seal-off and a large-scale evacuation of the civilians. The territories isolated from the outside world quickly fell victim to sprawling bands of formerly civilian marauders. Moreover, PMC operatives also lost all communication with their command and now have to the way out of the city, which, at the moment of the game start, underwent seemingly unreasonable shelling. All these events will lead the disaster, that will throw the mankind into the neo-feudalism.  

NIM: Are we to expect a fully recreated territory of the whole city, or game sessions with separate district-sized maps?
N.B.: We have planned several game modes. The first, available on release, is the scenario-based story mode. In this mode, a game session (up to hour and a half long) will take place in the large open locations, 5 to 10 sq. km. each. The player’s task is to complete a particular story scenario/raid that will clear the path to the next location. Nevertheless, the players can return to the already cleared locations to explore it more carefully, find useful loot or even discover access to special side-story locations. 

When all scenarios (we are going to do around ten of them) are released, we will open access to the Free-roam mode. In this mode, the player will be able to freely move around 15 sq. km. large area without any time restrictions. Also, we will introduce the Arena mode, which closely resembles gladiator fights.

NIM: Who are the playable characters? The press release mentioned two private military companies, but the videos also put noticeable emphasis on bandits as well. Are they playable as well?
N.B.: At the start of the game you’ll be able to choose either of the PMCs (Western USEC or Russian BEAR) and the appearance of your operator. The side you choose will determine the starting equipment and skills of your fighter. The Scavs will also be playable? but they will be totally unrelated to your principal character. Scavs, to put it simply, play the role of PvE mobs of the scenario. By spawning as Scav, you get a random preset weapon and skills, and you lose nothing if you die. However, if you manage to stay alive, all the loot you collected will be added to the main character’s stash.

NIM: Could you please describe the game process in a bit more detail? What can be done in Escape from Tarkov, for instance, in an hour?
N.B.: You can get killed at the start from the teammate’s bullet, you can find an ammo crate and realise you won’t be able to carry it out, you can find the key to exit from location right away and leave it as soon as possible, getting the reputation of a Runner. You can shoot everyone you see, loot them and then get shot in the Scav ambush, or you can quietly explore the location without a shot fired. Get lightly wounded at the start and slowly bleed to death the following hour. Move through scenario by stealth and tactical savvy, wielding only a knife. Struggle in numerous efforts to break through Scav defences or reason with them by offering that bank case you dug up earlier. 
All of these are only a tiny fraction of all available options, since your actions are influenced by numerous factors, from weather and daytime to loyalty of the partner you chose to cooperate with.

NIM: The press release mentioned over a hundred of skills available for learning and leveling up. What kind of skills are these?
N.B.: The skills are subdivided into four categories: physical, intellectual, combat and practical. The player’s class is determined by the play style, learned skills and weapon used, i.e. player does not select a class, he just plays the role he deems appropriate to live in the world of Escape from Tarkov.

NIM: Characters in the FPS games are bound to die, often sooner than later. What happens to the operator and his equipment after death?
N.B.: If an operator dies in the scenario, he loses everything that was brought into the scenario or found inside it, except for experience and skills. If he is wounded… well, depends on the wound. The bullet may happen to be full jacketed and split on hit, with one part just causing damage to soft tissue, and other causing severe bleeding and leading to fatal consequences.

NIM: The pre-alpha gameplay you showcased looks pretty hardcore. Aren’t you afraid to scare off wide audience
N.B.: We did not intend to make the game for wide audience, and everything we are doing in it is aimed at creating the sense of reality for the player, and sense of total immersion. If you want to aim - aim down the sights. Want to know how many rounds you have left - memorize and count, or look them up through the witness holes in the mag. Or, alternatively, open the inventory and look it up there. (Smiles.)

NIM: Escape from Tarkov is going to feature a certain PvE component. What is the approximate ratio of PvE and PvP according to your plan?
N.B.: We don’t have a firmly set division like this. For instance, one moment you are punishing the Scavs together with your friends, and 15 seconds later a friend shoots you in a back without a word. You have to be always alert for things like this.

NIM: How about the vehicles? Are the fights infantry-only, or there are going to be some military vehicles?
N.B.: We don’t plan to have any vehicles yet, maybe in Free Roam only.

NIM: Clans and groups. Are there any particular tricks or features for regular cooperative play? Like, maybe, patches, equipment, headquarters? 
N.B.: Yes, we plan to make an extensive clan system. Player can team up into groups with common stashes, trade reps, cooperative play bonuses et c. We will go over it in detail closer to the game release. 

NIM: Is Escape from Tarkov going to be paid, free to play, or mixed?
N.B.: The game will be buy to play, no freemium elements at all. Once or twice a year we are going to make moderately priced DLCs.

NIM: And finally, the biggest question of them all: what is there for players who have finally escaped Tarkov?
N.B.: When the main storyline is cleared and you get to know how it all ended, you will be left with a bunch of questions for the future and a special status (we don’t expect too many players clearing Escape from Tarkov too soon, this is going to take some time). The game, however, will not yet be over: players can investigate the side quests and explore the additional locations, which will be in no way inferior to the main ones.

• Upvote 6

Keza

NIM: Escape from Tarkov is going to feature a certain PvE component. What is the approximate ratio of PvE and PvP according to your plan?
N.B.: We don’t have a firmly set division like this. For instance, one moment you are punishing the Scavs together with your friends, and 15 seconds later a friend shoots you in a back without a word. You have to be always alert for things like this.

and you loose all your stuff...so you will only play with players you already know very well...

Nether also has a system where you loose everything when you die...after a few times this really is no fun anymore.

Small accidents (fall from ledge, jump you thought you could make), little lag during firefight...too many scenarios that can get you killed...

I would agree that you loose the stuff you looted/collected, but now what you brought into the raid....

Tom4shCK

That's why you should bring your team to take your stuff in the worst case scenario.

• Upvote 2

Riflemen526

Only team up with people you trust entirely, or you've known for a long time. Ledges and jumps? Treat them as you would DayZ; i.e. expect that will die if you fall.

Glitches? May God have mercy on your soul.

Keza

I responded to the fact that one of your team suddenly decides to kill ya. So sure he will take your stuff....

I would opt for system where he can loot you, but you do not loose the gear you brought into the match.

Gear that you found will be lost...that is fine by me...

Tom4shCK
8 minutes ago, Keza said:

I would opt for system where he can loot you, but you do not loose the gear you brought into the match.

Great way for item duplication with friends.

• Upvote 2

Riflemen526
12 minutes ago, Keza said:

I responded to the fact that one of your team suddenly decides to kill ya. So sure he will take your stuff....

Gear that you found will be lost...that is fine by me...

Will just have to stash away spare rifles and supplies. Probably the only thing you'll be able to do

Keza

Exploits can be prevented otherwise. Death can still have penalty.

As said, you would only keep things you brought. One might argue that the only things you drop are the items you looted and *not* what you brought with you.

This way the exploit is prevented. 'they' would only get what you collected.

Edit: otherwise the bought items could also simply be copied to friends, so we do not want that either....

Edited by Keza

aloalodisi

You'll be able to buy insurance, so even if you die and loose everything there will be some money for you to get from it. (% of your gear value)

Recontiger94

It sounds like you really aren't going to like this game. It is supposed to be hardcore. It's supposed to be unrelentingly realistic. Realism being when you die with your wallet in your pocket, I can take your wallet and all of it's content. Not just your $30 you found within the last hour. The Devs already said they wont be changing the game to fit in to a bigger crowd, and that most people wont like playing it. I just hope they keep it that way, and don't cave under the pressure to make it casual and for the larger market. We currently have a diamond in the rough, and I hope the community doesn't force them to turn it in to coal.

Not to come off as rude, but if these concepts don't appeal to you and would be game ruining, the fix is to not buy the game. There is death around every corner. Whether you get an infection from a small cut and die, or get shot in the back by a friend or foe.

• Upvote 4

Keza

Realism is in the fact how easy you can die, not that you will loose stuff.

In that case also loose XP, everything (One Life, anyone?).

I want to be careful not to get killed, because I do not want to be killed, not because I then loose stuff.

The penalty should lie somewhere else....

The time you live should somehow be incorporated. Some perks are available when you live at least so and so long, etc...

In your example: you can take my wallet, but I can still not access my bank account because ... I ... am ... dead ...

so that is not realism too...

Edited by Keza
  • Upvote 1

Benuar

So, how about we make you also lose your bank account? :P

The devs are going for hardcore and losing the gear you brought in is the maximum level of punishment you can get without completly destroying you.

You can always play as a Scav if you dont want to lose your things and thereby gain the gear you need to survive the Raids.

This game is for the audience that loves losing their things :P

What other panalty for dying would be as scary as losing the gear? Even if i lose my gear I might sometimes decide to do something crazy if its not that much.

Keza
14 minutes ago, Benuar said:

So, how about we make you also lose your bank account? :P

You might actually still find players...

In reality you won't worry about loosing your gear....true realism: go play OneLife.

Immersion is important. The raid is what counts and when you die you should somehow be penalized for the next raids.

If I only loose a good weapon and can find it again, it won't stop me from 'doing stupid things'.

What if the number of bullets you get for the next raid are reduced? your weapon gets more damaged and becomes less accurate?

Or the next five raids, you cannot use that gear. So in the second raid you need to use other gear and when you die, you cannot use that anymore too in the third raid and so on.. as if you need to unlock them again.....

much better strategies can be thought of....

Edited by Keza

Benuar
1 minute ago, Keza said:

You might actually still find players...

In reality you won't worry about loosing your gear....true realism: go play OneLife.

Immersion is important. The raid is what counts and when you die you should somehow be penalized for the next raids.

If I only loose a good weapon and can find it again, it won't stop me from 'doing stupid things'.

What if the number of bullets you get for the next raid are reduced? your weapon gets more damaged and becomes less accurate?

Or the next five raids, you cannot use that gear. So in the second raid you need to use other gear and when you die, you cannot use that anymore too in the third raid and so on..

much better strategies can be thought of....

Well, you will still not be able to use the gear in the next raid given that its gone ^^ you will also have less bullets - they will too be gone.

The "panalty" of your weapon being damaged is not a "only on death" scenario. From my understanding the weapon gets damaged whenever you use it so this is not realy a big punishment for anyone.

TheCappy

Benuar :) do you remember me ? 

Benuar

I saw your name in the overview before I come here to read it and already knew :P Looking forward to murdering you! Again :P

Edited by Benuar

TheColdVein

Funny how no one has mentioned the insurance and security cases.

Tren

I honestly feel they have the right approach, but then again he has options as we all do I think Ithe would be best to let bygons be bygons and just talk about how amazingmy informative this was I am more excited now for this game than I ever was. 

P.S Does anyone know if the alpha is released yet or no? 

Edited by Tren

.Motorola.
1 hour ago, Tren said:

I honestly feel they have the right approach, but then again he has options as we all do I think Ithe would be best to let bygons be bygons and just talk about how amazingmy informative this was I am more excited now for this game than I ever was. 

P.S Does anyone know if the alpha is released yet or no? 

Will be playable in February.

Sawt00th
On January 18, 2016 at 7:11 AM, Recontiger94 said:

It sounds like you really aren't going to like this game. It is supposed to be hardcore. It's supposed to be unrelentingly realistic. Realism being when you die with your wallet in your pocket, I can take your wallet and all of it's content. Not just your $30 you found within the last hour. The Devs already said they wont be changing the game to fit in to a bigger crowd, and that most people wont like playing it. I just hope they keep it that way, and don't cave under the pressure to make it casual and for the larger market. We currently have a diamond in the rough, and I hope the community doesn't force them to turn it in to coal.

Not to come off as rude, but if these concepts don't appeal to you and would be game ruining, the fix is to not buy the game. There is death around every corner. Whether you get an infection from a small cut and die, or get shot in the back by a friend or foe.

++ well said.

Goochy

cant wait for this game thanks for the interview

Keza

Ever played Nether?

And for the fiftieth time had to restart?

And you still enjoyed that?

good, this game is for you...

Hardcore lies not in the fact that you loose everything...

The game should get progressively more difficult:

you cannot use weapons you had when you died for certain period of time.

you are limited in medkits you can bring into the next raid.

you cannot retrieve any gear during the next raid.

These are punishments that you notice....

When you die and loose stuff and have sufficient funds, you buy new gear and continue as if nothing happened. Perhaps you have the same gear already in your inventory.

So where is the penalty?

In short, hardcore? pfffrt no way Jose!

Edited by Keza
  • Upvote 1

Shibby
On 2/4/2016 at 5:02 PM, Keza said:

Ever played Nether?

And for the fiftieth time had to restart?

And you still enjoyed that?

good, this game is for you...

Hardcore lies not in the fact that you loose everything...

The game should get progressively more difficult:

you cannot use weapons you had when you died for certain period of time.

you are limited in medkits you can bring into the next raid.

you cannot retrieve any gear during the next raid.

These are punishments that you notice....

When you die and loose stuff and have sufficient funds, you buy new gear and continue as if nothing happened. Perhaps you have the same gear already in your inventory.

So where is the penalty?

In short, hardcore? pfffrt no way Jose!

Reading all the post above,i can agree with u now ...u got a point there buddy