so while talking to you the devs , it suddnely hit me , i don't know a single thread of russian . and seeing how locations are going to be important in EFT, will we have a fully translated game ( i mean actual locations in game, like street names and/or building names)? i am assuming that we , the non russian community might have this expectation, and to be fair it will ruin part of the immersion you guys plan on giving us , but my main concern is that most of us from the other side don't quite comprehend the Cyrillic characters which poses a great impediment to full immersion

ivantherussian

NOP, or at least i dont think so, i suppouse it will be like dayz, where first we learned the names of the cities even in russian.. besides i would like everything to be in russian, will help the inmersion

Natalino
21 minutes ago, Hedloc said:

so while talking to you the devs , it suddnely hit me , i don't know a single thread of russian . and seeing how locations are going to be important in EFT, will we have a fully translated game ( i mean actual locations in game, like street names and/or building names)? i am assuming that we , the non russian community might have this expectation, and to be fair it will ruin part of the immersion you guys plan on giving us , but my main concern is that most of us from the other side don't quite comprehend the Cyrillic characters which poses a great impediment to full immersion

I think it will be more like DAYZ as well on that part. plus its realistic not to have ant translation. That language barrier is one part of the game. think of it as you have went some where else for war and you don't know jack. could be fun!

• Upvote 2
ivantherussian
8 minutes ago, Natalino said:

I think it will be more like DAYZ as well on that part. plus its realistic not to have ant translation. That language barrier is one part of the game. think of it as you have went some where else for war and you don't know jack. could be fun!

exactly what i said

Ржавый

I think it's good for you, if usec uses english voiceover, but bear and all the lables and signs were in russian. My argument - this is much more realistick!

(Sorry for my bad english).

• Upvote 1
Natalino
7 minutes ago, Ржавый said:

I think it's good for you, if usec uses english voiceover, but bear and all the lables and signs were in russian. My argument - this is much more realistick!

(Sorry for my bad english).

no worries about your English mate, its very nice to see you guys on this side the forum as well and we understand you very well. Glad to see you guys here, even more often.

MadStalker

Anyway It would be too much work for an useless feature for the devs. 16km² is not that far after some hours of playing, you will know the location by heart easily

Kwahamot

I hope not.

At the end of the day, if you were to go into a Russian city, the names of the areas are not going to be in English. Time to get your Russian translator books out and start learning xD 

• Upvote 1
mark_nader

The only thing that concerns me, and I get what I've gotten myself into. Is that with this game being story driven it should have a localization done for the portions you need to listen to. I don't expect signs and stuff to be done, but for none Russians, if a guy is explaining a major portion of the plot/mission in Russian..I'm just gonna nod, smile, and run off into the objective blind. 

Signs, buildings, etc should all be in Russian I'm 100% fine with that. But being unable to understand the story, would hurt the immersion for many. 

Kwahamot
2 minutes ago, mark_nader said:

The only thing that concerns me, and I get what I've gotten myself into. Is that with this game being story driven it should have a localization done for the portions you need to listen to. I don't expect signs and stuff to be done, but for none Russians, if a guy is explaining a major portion of the plot/mission in Russian..I'm just gonna nod, smile, and run off into the objective blind. 

Signs, buildings, etc should all be in Russian I'm 100% fine with that. But being unable to understand the story, would hurt the immersion for many. 

I agree with the first part, I want to actually understand what they're saying. lol

Natalino
3 minutes ago, mark_nader said:

I am sure they have thought of that and we should be able to understand the story, or else you wouldn't know what your mission is in the first place. so it won't be realistic.

• Upvote 1
Drakkarius

I don't know much Russian (mostly combat banter from games and some songs), but I can read it; this was especially useful in DayZ and other games with predominantly Russian signage. Honestly, it doesn't take too long to learn Cyrillic; I'm certain you can find quick courses on the intertubes somewhere. Shouldn't take more than two weeks at most, and you might even be able to learn it in an afternoon.

Ржавый
1 час назад, Natalino сказал:

no worries about your English mate, its very nice to see you guys on this side the forum as well and we understand you very well. Glad to see you guys here, even more often.

Thx a lot) you are welcome) Yep we trying to track both forum sides. And btw we create our newsweek not only in russian, but in english too, so thx again for your opinion:

Good question, it's been some time since I started wondering the same, but didn't have a chance to ask it to our lead.

The coolest and most hardcore move would be to make the story progress in two languages at the same time: have Russian-conducted investigation reports and classified military papers - and evidence left behind by TerraGroup in English. This would lead to demand for increased cooperation between players, information trading, espionage, data mining and many more cool game activities and aspects. Also, liaison officers like myself would become true VIPs under such conditions =P.

However, I feel that it may be way too complex for most players and some sort of measures would be taken to make it manageable. Also, there are our European and even Asian supporters to worry about; most of those interested in the game so far are more or less capable of reading English, but as the player numbers grow after release, this will become increasingly important. Anyway, if I don't update this reply until the stream, you what has to be asked.

• Upvote 3
BorisTheBlade
1 hour ago, Claus said:

Good question, it's been some time since I started wondering the same, but didn't have a chance to ask it to our lead.

The coolest and most hardcore move would be to make the story progress in two languages at the same time: have Russian-conducted investigation reports and classified military papers - and evidence left behind by TerraGroup in English. This would lead to demand for increased cooperation between players, information trading, espionage, data mining and many more cool game activities and aspects. Also, liaison officers like myself would become true VIPs under such conditions =P.

However, I feel that it may be way too complex for most players and some sort of measures would be taken to make it manageable. Also, there are our European and even Asian supporters to worry about; most of those interested in the game so far are more or less capable of reading English, but as the player numbers grow after release, this will become increasingly important. Anyway, if I don't update this reply until the stream, you what has to be asked.

How about let BEAR simply speak russian and USEC english and obviously not understand eachother, but give a talent/skill ingame that would simply make your character learn the opposite side language, or atleast understand it and show up as english caption when hearing russian and vice versa. Seen it in Metal Gear PA where you had to extract/hire a fluent russian speaker to translate for you so you could understand soviet soldiers, it was pretty cool expierience.

Edited by BorisTheBlade

Russian where it makes sense, signs, locations, BEAR operatives, and english (home language, whatever langauge your region is) where its needed, such as dialogue.

mark_nader
4 hours ago, Drakkarius said:

I don't know much Russian (mostly combat banter from games and some songs), but I can read it; this was especially useful in DayZ and other games with predominantly Russian signage. Honestly, it doesn't take too long to learn Cyrillic; I'm certain you can find quick courses on the intertubes somewhere. Shouldn't take more than two weeks at most, and you might even be able to learn it in an afternoon.

Not the most reasonable way to create a game launching and looking to support a global release. Would really place a limit on how much players could enjoy, and understand. DayZ works ok because they have so few things that require any reading. That's the same as expecting anyone who buys a first party PS4 game to learn katakana, hiragana, and kanji to play their favorite playstation games. Sure, you can likely figure it out, and get by. But you end up losing major portions of the experience. 

Now, I also understand localization is not a cheap, nor a easy thing to do. And obviously making all the dialog in different languages would be extremely costly and time consuming. A middle ground for at-least launch would be basic sub-titles as a option for a few languages for major dialog,  and work in any notes and stuff laying around into the localization mix as time moves forward. 

Только что, mark_nader сказал:

That's the same as expecting anyone who buys a first party PS4 game to learn katakana, hiragana, and kanji to play their favorite playstation games.

I did, back in my time, when I played grey-imported SNES games, but well, got to admit that, what works for kid, won't work on adults. Far less time on our hands.

Subtitles look like the best option in terms of balance between immersion and playability, and they are the easiest to do. As for localization, I have a few ideas of my own on how to do it, but first I'd like to discuss them internally.

1 час назад, BorisTheBlade сказал:

How about let BEAR simply speak russian and USEC english and obviously not understand eachother, but give a talent/skill ingame that would simply make your character learn the opposite side language, or atleast understand it and show up as english caption when hearing russian and vice versa.

I do like this idea. If we make the subtitles in any language instead of just English, it can become a good compromise, unless I'm overlooking something. I'll be sure to ask the others' opinion on it.

my issue with not having localization, is the advantage the russian players will have over other players that don't understand Cyrillic because we know from the talks we had with the devs that some locations(especially those locations we found in the extra materials  will have certain easter eggs or  good loot ). but there can be a workaround   this , just leave the physical street/building names in russian and make how many maps it is required for every language( the cyrillic name and underneath the english one)  so we won't be completely clueless. 

@Hedloc map, quest logs, in-game text(books, sheets and other story related items) will be english.
Russian rude words I suppose will not be translated.
road_sign.png

Signs like this attached image can be translated without losing its original textures.
Top sign: assistance in obtaining a mortgage at the lowest rate
Bottom sign: help for meme-addicted, alcoholics.

It can be done by pressing button on item or pointing the cursor for some time (5 sec, for example)
Translation info can show up in highlighting captions.
Its up to developers how exactly implement this feature.

Edited by liveAlexios

there can be many workarounds implemented, but it takes time man power which they don't really have atm.

my point and probably why i started this topic is thatpersonally feel that I   would like the game more and feel more easily get immersed in the game setting if i can actually understand what's happening around me, where  i am, 

and now that i think about it this if not implemented will divide the community , into russian speakers as Bear, and non russian speakers as Usec, maybe i want to play for Bear, it will totally screw me up,  if i can't relate to the story and there will be no immersion at all.

I know this is a probleme they probably discussed internally and they probably have some plan in mind about this, i was just curious to know where they stand, and what system they plan on implementing. 

@Hedloc Don't worry much - on english part of the alpha stream you'll know
better of english version. And not forget - the game still in development.
We'll be able to get both russian & english stream records few days later.
With better quality we can talk about everything we saw.

MadStalker
3 hours ago, Claus said:

I do like this idea. If we make the subtitles in any language instead of just English, it can become a good compromise, unless I'm overlooking something. I'll be sure to ask the others' opinion on it.

For the english translation of texts, you can easily do it by yourself, and in others langages you can ask your community to translate it.

Edited by MadStalker