TechoverMana

Possible balance to medical items

TechoverMana

First of all, I would like to point out that I am loving this game. I feel even in the state it's in, I've gotten my money's worth out of it.

But we are here for testing and helping shape the game and giving feedback to devs, so here is one suggestion I have that I think would add to the realism aspect, make firefights more interesting and intense, and add even more weightiness and a feeling of tension to combat.

As it currently stands, medical items, such as the AI-2, Car pack, Grizzly, ect, heal far too quickly. You can hot bind these items and heal yourself on the go as if you were Wolverine and effectively have regenerating health like in Call of Duty. There is a progress bar, but it doesn't really mean much or impact your movement or ability to fight. I think this seems very odd for a game that is built on and advertising itself as having a high level of realism in its gameplay.

My suggestion, would be that when using a healing item, you would not be able to move or fire as your hands are busy actually applying the bandage, splint, meds, whatever. I think it would be appropriate to have a 30 second freeze, where you couldn't move or engage and go into a healing animation (although maybe cancelable like with searching) to remove a status effect such as bloodloss, pain, fracture, ect, and then for items such as the Grizzly that actually restore health, it you would be in this healing state for one second per point restored.

So, as the game stands right now, you get in a fight, get shot up a little, and you just spam 4 to heal up or quickly open tab and drag the Grizzly and in seconds your shot up body is restored to full health without much issue. Gunfights don't mean as much when just ducking behind cover and spamming a button will fix a lot of damage.

If such a system as I've suggested were implemented, you'd take damage, and then you would have to limp on over and find a safe place to actually have the time to patch yourself up. If you'd been knocked down to say 200 health overall, and you've got bloodloss and fracture on your leg, it'll be 30 seconds to apply the meds to fix the blood loss, 30 seconds to splint or fix the fracture, and 235 seconds to fully restore the lost health with an item. 

I think that would be a first step. I also think possibly that some health should be permanently lost, where say you could only heal half of what you take for example. So if you get shot and get hit to 235 health, you could only heal back 100 of that 200 you lost, so you now would max out at 335 no matter what. If you were knocked down on deaths door and survived with only 35 health, you could only heal up to 235. Only way to fully restore health would be to extract and fix inbetween raids (and I know part of this might already be in the works for having to heal between raids but not sure for the other parts.) 

Anyway, those would be some suggestions I think to have a more realistic health/damage and medical system in the game. It should actually take time to set that bone or bandage that gunshot wound. Right now it feels like you have regenerating health as long as you remember to bind meds to the 4 key.

lone019

they said they would be adding animations to healing  so i imagine in that time you wont be able to spam it, as you said if you got damage during the raid the damage will stay, but you should be able to regain full hp but that is my opinion 

Veaznor

I feel like the medical system in this game is one of the more balanced features. Even if you can shoot and move while using medical supplies they still take quite a while to use, thus leaving you very vurnerable for a period of time after you got shot. If you were to stand still and not being able to move or shoot while healing you would be way to vurnerable since then the player who shot you can just rush you down with no worries.

My my thoughts, Veaznor.

TechoverMana
9 hours ago, Veaznor said:

"Even if you can shoot and move while using medical supplies they still take quite a while to use, thus leaving you very vurnerable for a period of time after you got shot."

That period of time is only a few seconds, and since you can move and shoot even while patching up you don't seem like you're the sort of vulnerable you'd be if you were actually trying to patch up bullet wounds and someone came across you.

9 hours ago, Veaznor said:

If you were to stand still and not being able to move or shoot while healing you would be way to vurnerable since then the player who shot you can just rush you down with no worries.

Yes, if you get in a firefight and decide to just patch up in the middle of combat, someone could easily rush you, so you have to decide tactically to try to keep fighting or risk healing and getting caught with your pants down, which adds depth and a degree of realism which is highly valued in this game. And it wouldn't be with no worries because unless you decided to just do it right in front of him, if you duck behind cover, he can't know for sure if you started healing up or if you're waiting to try to rush so he can light you up. The attacker will still have a big element of the unknown about the enemy player.

Cravice

I hope we get those healing animations.

Also same goes for reloading a clip with bullets...this should take some time.

So you have to be more aware of your ammunition.

On 9.8.2017 at 1:14 PM, Veaznor said:

I feel like the medical system in this game is one of the more balanced features. Even if you can shoot and move while using medical supplies they still take quite a while to use, thus leaving you very vurnerable for a period of time after you got shot. If you were to stand still and not being able to move or shoot while healing you would be way to vurnerable since then the player who shot you can just rush you down with no worries.

My my thoughts, Veaznor.

I disagree... in my opinion this destroys the immersion cause its totaly unrealistic. Come on even Far Cry has healing animations....

On the other hand you are right it would leave you very vulnerable. But think of the gameplay possibilities.

If you play with a group, one player could focus on a "Medic" role sort of and take gear accordingly. (med kits, bandages, painkillers)

I think this would be awesome and would give players one more reason to play in a group.

• Upvote 1

TechoverMana
2 hours ago, Cravice said:

Also same goes for reloading a clip with bullets...this should take some time.

I was actually planning on putting up a new one for this, but I 100% agree that reloading bullets into a magazine should take time as well, and I'd figure that the 1 bullet per second would work if you do it in game. I think if it were to be implemented, people would just take multiple mags with them instead of just one extra mag and bullets and reload magazines every reload. Magazines become more valuable, people need to bring more of them out to be effective, people would need to bring out their actual vests instead of just scav vests to be effective, overall I think this would make things much, much more interesting, realistic and fun.

• Upvote 1