New Player's Perspective

CaptainMarksman

Lemonsmith

It's a steep learning curve, but once you get the flow of the gameplay it improves. Still frustrating after many hours though. I hate dying to desync or some god-like scav.

Fergus you said that you do runs with just a hatchet and then extract after getting a kill... I can't get past most AI even with a pistol. They just gang up so quickly and shots don't seem to land, where there's seem to everytime. Maybe this is desync or something, but makes it really impossible.

I guess I'm curious how you are even able to get close enough to an AI to get kills with melee weapons, as they seem to see me a mile away while I'm crawling slowly and can barely even see them lol.

CaptainMarksman
1 hour ago, -Fergus- said:

The thing is, you have to invest some time into this game to make progress, but it isn't much. Loot is incredibly easy to get right now, and it will be toned down eventually. I'm level 37 and have 3,000,000 roubles and $14,000 that I can't spend on anything, because my inventory is literally filled to the brim with weapons and armor.

If you want to learn the map and explore, play in offline mode.

Every weapon is viable, and there will not be any balancing to even out the differences the weapons have.

I have to disagree in the part where the hatchet/knife is useless, because it is absolutely not.

Summarized, you need to invest time into a game like this to make it, absolutely... ...with 40 hours played since the Beta hit, and more before the Beta.

I regularly see people who fail to give it a chance, even close friends. They die over and over and get frustrated by losing something as simple as an AK or M4. They blame the game, then quit playing it before even making anything remotely close to progress. What they all fail to see though, is how the developers can't sh*t out content and fixes to everyone at request. Video-games take time, and a ton of patience. BSG isn't a studio which is remotely close to comparable with Ubisoft, EA or Blizzard, which people frequently imply to believe.

Trust me, once you get used to the ridiculous deaths and loss of gear, It becomes very playable. 

I've chopped your post in this quote to highlight the important bits and what I'm replying to, in order.

The 40 hours plus it's taken you to get all that loot isn't a little time investment. That's almost two entire days of time in game. Plus you're experienced, having played before the beta. New players will take significantly longer to get anything of value. Loot is not incredibly easy to get. I don't have any AKs or M4s and I'm about 7 or 8 hours in. In fact, I haven't SEEN any in a match. Unless someone's killed me with one. If it's toned down, the game won't be fun. You'll go into matches with a bunch of gear, die, and then have to grind another 20 hours to get anything back. Maybe some loot tables need to be tweaked, but it by no means should be toned down. You already find mostly just tape and USB adapters.

Like I said, offline mode won't be available when the game releases. Making this point moot, because it won't contribute to the game after the beta. New players won't be able to learn via the offline mode. And in it's current state, yes the offline mode is a way to feel out a map.

I never said the weapons weren't viable or shouldn't be unique. That's fine. I'm saying there is no reason to use a gun. Just do hatchet runs, always. Or SCAV runs. Most loot is easy to grab as a SCAV.

Again, I didn't say hatchet runs are useless. I said they are the only effective way to play due to them having literally no risk. While, even taking a wimpy little pistol is a huge risk when you've only got three to start out with. Three matches go by quick when you've never played before and get killed at the beginning of the map. This contributes to the time investment before the fun begins. Have to run around with only a hatchet until I get something useful and make money, or find good gear, or can SCAV. Hatchet runs aren't interesting and take away a huge draw of the game. The gunplay.

I regularly see people who fail to give the game fair feedback. They defend the game over and over again despite it's flaws and blame the frustrated players for failing to invest 40 hours into a game that isn't fun for the majority of your time until you've played 20 hours or so.

I don't expect AAA development. I'm voicing concerns for a game that I want to succeed. I want it to be fun, I want to have fun. Currently, it's not fun early game. It takes 10, 20, or more hours to get into a decent position where you can feel confident about playing with your guns rather than doing only hatchet runs. I believe that the game will need to become fun faster in order to procure and keep a consistent and populous player base.

Yes, I'm sure after 40 hours you can tolerate the loss of gear and deaths. Considering you have 3mil and a stash full of gear.

• Upvote 1

I think most of the feedback here doesn't cover the part of tutorials and hints not being available in-game.

Currently it is like this: 

- you need to search forums for information, the most important ones are maps and extraction points

- it is incredibly helpful to play with other PMC and talk in discord or TS - the old ones love to give tips and tricks

-> you need to actively search and find information outside of the game (and there is plenty)

Interesting about this for me is, I loved this aspects while learning the game. I soaked all information out of forums, found groups and friends to play with and am now above the fold where the game is really good, challenging but doable and fun in any way.

As this is the current state, there is not much more than adapt and accept or put the game away until it is more like you want it.

As more and more players come in (many not knowing exactly what awaits them or not being "hardcore" enough to "git gud") more tutorials and hints will sure be implemented and I'm crying about that a bit because I love EFT so much how it is right now. But in the end it will be like this and it will be ok. Otherwise the hardcore playerbase will be to small for an independent title to keep it running.

So stay tuned, the game will be more like you want in some time :)

After playing a bit more I still believe the main issues are:

- static spawn points - after a while you actually know where players respawn and can immidiatelly go hunting for them

- maps are not big enough

- extraction point idea is fundamentally flawed. Would it realy be so hard to let players go outside of the map area and get extracted? What's the point of having limited extraction points? People camp them like there's no tomorrow. I'm already tempted to stick to Woods, because the extraction point is a larger area. Yesterday I met a sniper at shoreline shore extraction point. I ran for my life to the other one. That one was clear... by the time I got there, since I found 4 dead bodies around it. I guess the camper got loaded on loot, because I was even able to pick some leftovers. The extraction points are so small that it really pays off to camp them.

1. I'm not the fan of traders either. At lvl 1 they offer just a bunch of crap but I'm forced to spend money to upgrade them. Any idea how to level up Skier if I don't need basic bags or melee weapons? Should I just buy a bunch of attachments in bulk and re-sell them for partial loss?

And I'm still pissed off that when something good shows up, buying turns into "who can click fastest" contest.

2. From my perspective AI is inconsistent at least. I can mow them down with makarov or knife, but every now and then they pull some amazing shot and I'm insta-dead. Btw, do they actually respawn? I could swear they do, but I'm looking for confirmation.

3. Loot in general. What is really worth picking up? Most of the items I find are trash. Even weapon attachments. It feels like the best way to make profit is to farm scavs for shotguns. Do weapons even spawn as loot? I haven't found even a single makarov so far.

4. Error 605 still exists, pops up every time I try to raid. Right now I'm just instantly invite some random fella, before entering, but what about players who don't know how to work around it? Can they even play at all?

5. Factory knife runs give way too much xp. It's absurd. After killing one guy, looting just him and extracting I was granted 4,8k xp. 1+ hr raid, lots of looting, few AIs killed and I got 3,2k exp. Seriously?

6. One last thing. Which trader do I need to focus on to get silenced weapon asap? Even silenced makarov would be fine.

PS. Basic stash size is utter trash.

Edited by Alsmir
  • Upvote 1
Strontium1

I got in the last day of the Beta release, so far spent about 15 hours in game. Running out of room in my stash often.

First, make use of offline mode (took about 30min to find all extractions in Customs)

In raids i take my time, pick your route and move there.stop.listen and plan next move. loot as you go and when you get near the AI really slow down and watch your exposure (and look behind you for other players), I'm taking AI out with pistols and catching players Forrest Gumping it through the bush. Golden rule: Don't get attached to your gear.

Gandorlf13

I'm losing interest in this game quickly. I had hope after todays patch but I'm still literally getting headshotted with pistols in milliseconds. SCAVs are entering rooms I'm in already aimed at my ducking head for christs sake. Either make the AI or consistent or remove them. 

I completely agree about the learning curve. I believe a tutorial is a must, not only could the developers get creative with it (custom radio chatter, specific events.) It would greatly help players learning the maps. Even a basic manual would be nice.

I also believe that traders could use some tweaking, having at least 1 type of vest available to buy with currency should be a must. As I found it the most handicap thing when you stuck with just assault rifles. 

However, this game will always be hard. Getting attached to your gear like other people have stated is the biggest mistake you can do. I have lost dozens of guns I spend plenty of time customizing and perfecting load outs. Stuff happens, and that is what this game is about.

ghost_chab
vor 6 Stunden schrieb mag_steve:

Tips/information to newer players:

-Play and practice maps in offline mode, this will help you learn the map, get a feel for the weapons, how to handle and react to AI (to a point), and find exit points.

-Offline mode you can take guns and gear out and practice with not worrying about losing them (ONLY IN OFFLINE).

-Buy maps from trader, limited info but still helpful.

-This is a testing Beta with bugs, not a AAA studio "pre-sell Beta" that releases 3 weeks before the full game launch. (You will find bugs and glitches, report them and file bug reports it will help the Devs.)

-This is a game where you will loss items and will have to invest time in.

- Use online sources: Kotton- EFT Bad ass and helpful guy: (his EFT videos)-https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLRk4nqaZctzbbA2NFA9s2rt02w9nPBM1l

Klean & WillerZ Boot camp Videos-(VERY Helpful)-https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCJ1TewoP2hHJnA-JWLvLNAg/videos?shelf_id=1&view=0&sort=dd

That's the best starter information you can get. I have done it myself.

Ok i'm fairly new to this but have ploughed a good few hours into Offline to learn Customs fairly well and Factory and Woods to a lesser extent.
Probably the most frustrating game i've ever played.

The AI is so broken its not even entertaining they snap headshot you with a shitty pistol the instant they see you,

Play as a SCAV to get some more gear.....get spawn killed  50% of the time and the remainder of that you get mowed down by some with superior gear.

Ok take some of the gear in my stash in, die to either Aimbot AI or yet again another player with superior gear, i say superior but that doesn't take much since your starting gear will be trash.

Spent most of my cash just buying new starting trash gear only to lose gear time and time again.

Someone mentioned starting with a knife then moving onto a pistol, what are supposed to do with a knife, get AimBot AI'd instantly, pistol is better than the useless AKSU, which isn't much since all your gear is poo.

End result i'm Lvl3 with next to no cash left.....this game is meant to be realistic i fail to see any of that other than how  quickly you die .

I'm out, I'll give it another go when the game is less broken in a year or so.

• Upvote 1
Maximus-HeroVI
14 hours ago, Good_Cat said:

Ok i'm fairly new to this but have ploughed a good few hours into Offline to learn Customs fairly well and Factory and Woods to a lesser extent.
Probably the most frustrating game i've ever played.

The AI is so broken its not even entertaining they snap headshot you with a shitty pistol the instant they see you,

Play as a SCAV to get some more gear.....get spawn killed  50% of the time and the remainder of that you get mowed down by some with superior gear.

Ok take some of the gear in my stash in, die to either Aimbot AI or yet again another player with superior gear, i say superior but that doesn't take much since your starting gear will be trash.

Spent most of my cash just buying new starting trash gear only to lose gear time and time again.

Someone mentioned starting with a knife then moving onto a pistol, what are supposed to do with a knife, get AimBot AI'd instantly, pistol is better than the useless AKSU, which isn't much since all your gear is poo.

End result i'm Lvl3 with next to no cash left.....this game is meant to be realistic i fail to see any of that other than how  quickly you die .

I'm out, I'll give it another go when the game is less broken in a year or so.

You are right dude, i have no in game currency and no weapons just knife. many players are enjoying this game but not me. devs need to make some changes and help us get weapons in the game in a shorter time that it is now. if nothing will change after closed beta testing i consider my money lost on this game.

mockingbird

If you manged to get yourself into a corner - no guns, no money, account reset is there to give you a second chance, although that may be a bit drastic.

Alternatively, use your scavenger runs intelligently to give yourself more money to get more guns. How many makarovs can you buy selling that shotgun? What if you drop the nearby AI scav for a second one and beeline for the exit? Do the math.

As a slower alternative, go naked only and learn good scavenging spots. If you can clean up the containers near the starting area (Customs has a lot of those) unmolested, it's possible to bring back a good 10-15k in just your alpha container. You say you can't do a lot with a knife? Upgrade it to hatchet. With all the spawn killing going on, you should find one lying around in no time if that makes you feel better. It's quite possible to drop a bot in close quarters - decent chance if it's got a pistol, a bit less if packing shotty - somehow it tends to panic when it sees you up close.

The AI is much, much less aimbotty now. I'd even say that it's gotten quite sluggish after all that patching. You're probably making a lot of noise while running aroung. This causes the AI to go on alert and they will hurt you. A good starting point is to forget about the run key altogether and immediately hit the dirt or get to cover whenever you hear a gunshot. Don't get too comfortable in grass and in bushes and don't trust thin walls. Paying attention to how you move is of utmost importance in this game. Look for snipers (they are usually placed in the same locations) and try to limit the number of directions from which you can be attacked.

Practice in offline mode until you get it right - this way there won't be any lag or desync issues. The AI usually ambushes you in certain locations.

You can't do a lot about spawn killing, and accept that sometimes you will just die. For the record, I tend to suck at first person shooters. If I can get a drop on the AI, so can you. If I could get a stashfull of guns, so can you.

9 hours ago, mockingbird said:

If you manged to get yourself into a corner - no guns, no money, account reset is there to give you a second chance, although that may be a bit drastic.

Alternatively, use your scavenger runs intelligently to give yourself more money to get more guns. How many makarovs can you buy selling that shotgun? What if you drop the nearby AI scav for a second one and beeline for the exit? Do the math.

As a slower alternative, go naked only and learn good scavenging spots. If you can clean up the containers near the starting area (Customs has a lot of those) unmolested, it's possible to bring back a good 10-15k in just your alpha container. You say you can't do a lot with a knife? Upgrade it to hatchet. With all the spawn killing going on, you should find one lying around in no time if that makes you feel better. It's quite possible to drop a bot in close quarters - decent chance if it's got a pistol, a bit less if packing shotty - somehow it tends to panic when it sees you up close.

The AI is much, much less aimbotty now. I'd even say that it's gotten quite sluggish after all that patching. You're probably making a lot of noise while running aroung. This causes the AI to go on alert and they will hurt you. A good starting point is to forget about the run key altogether and immediately hit the dirt or get to cover whenever you hear a gunshot. Don't get too comfortable in grass and in bushes and don't trust thin walls. Paying attention to how you move is of utmost importance in this game. Look for snipers (they are usually placed in the same locations) and try to limit the number of directions from which you can be attacked.

Practice in offline mode until you get it right - this way there won't be any lag or desync issues. The AI usually ambushes you in certain locations.

You can't do a lot about spawn killing, and accept that sometimes you will just die. For the record, I tend to suck at first person shooters. If I can get a drop on the AI, so can you. If I could get a stashfull of guns, so can you.

The last sentence was mainly out of frustration, yeah started doing naked runs with just a knife got my cash up to a decent level and now have some armour and weapons.

Upgrade knife to hatchet ?? They need to do something about getting killed at spawn, a Bambi Status for a minute or so, any static spawn and loot drops just encourages camping.

Just need to work on getting XP now.

danathrill

I have to agree with OP, this game is incredibly frustrating and no fun whatsoever. I'm at a point now that I just go in as a scav, try to find an extraction without getting killed just so I can sell whatever the scav has on him to make some money to buy some decent equipment to put up a fight in PMC mode, get 360 no scoped by ai, loose all gear. Hopefully find something to watch on TV while i wait for scav cooldown. Then repeat.  

I've managed to squeeze into a cozy spot at level 13, have Prapor, Peacekeeper and Skier at Level, and TBH I had to use Knife runs on Factory just to figure out neat hiding spots, just so I could survive.

My biggest gripe right now is AI Scavs. As of right now I almost don't mind them, but the severe amount of Desync that still exists makes them utterly godlike, and it's frustrating to lose whole suits of PACA and 153's with 8-shot tubes, simply because you shot first and it just...Didn't register.

Also, wait. Fort armor's not in the loot tables anymore? Why am I even playing right now, then? Don't get me wrong, PACA has saved my life a few times, but not being able to get that sweet, sweet invulnerable goodness kinda kills my buzz.

Also, if you wanna look up guides for EfT on Youtube, don't watch anything from Kotton, or DevilDogGamer or any of that BS. They've all got Press Kits, so they basically don't have to work for any of their gear. They pretty much come right out of the gate with Fort, Helmets and kitted M4's.

the main thing i cant stand about this game is the fact you have to invest 60+ hours for it to get any good. i bought the $150 edition because i watch a lot of youtubers play it and it looks like a blast but the matchmaking is so horrid.

why pair me "mr pistol guy" with level 9000 "mega death automatic sniper guy"? its clear im just going to waste his time and ammo and frustrate the heck out of me with the deaths and loss of equipment. like one match i did amazing by sheer luck. 1 mega death guy killed everything and i happened upon him searching through a box and killed him, taking all the sweet loot. but can i take it with me into any raid? nope, because if i do, the second i spawn, itll all be taken away from me, by some lucky moron with a pistol.

the offline mode is good for practicing to know the maps but with the scavs being pinpoint accurate, its worthless, i tried doing it on factory vs like 4 scavs. you can get the drop on them, you can surprise them and point blank shotgun them and theyll still have the reaction time to at least hit you, injuring you to where you'll die from attrition. To add insult to injury: you dont get anything. no experience, no levels, no gear from scavs. utterly worthless. like i really want to like the game but the game is centered for those people that got it day 1, that grinded away their life to get all the armor and garbage and now with new people joining its just a farm scenario for them.

to counter a lot of these glaring problems for new people, i think it should pair you in matches with people of the same level. i also think the whole usec vs bear should be an actual thing, like being able to have teammates in the game because youre in the same PMC. but sadly no you need to bring friends with you and if theyre new and not day 1 players, its a case of a blind man leading the blind people to death valley.

Edited by Jsabins
On 9.8.2017 at 11:30 PM, Maximus-HeroVI said:

I haven’t touched a single assault rifle since I started playing this game.

I DECIDE WHAT IT IS FUN TO PLAY OR NOT. NO ASSAULT RIFFLE NO FUN FOR ME

An ak costs 20k roubles dude...

Edited by Ziraeth
typo

Played a few days and these are my findings so far:

AI:

AI needs complete overhaul, woods and other "long range" maps the AI is dumb af and u can just shoot them from miles away like sitting ducks. On the other hand, close quarter maps the AI is brutal. 

extractions:

First games i had no idea where i could find one until i went online and googled it. I don't believe the game or community should encourage new players to go and "google" the info or go on the games forums (not everyone enjoys scrolling them).

Basically only way to find out the extractions, keys etc is to go online and google. (from beginners perspective)

playing as scav:

Playing as  scav is super fun, one of the main reason is that you don't have much to lose and the random gear you get to start with. (u get to experience different weapons)

Only sad thing is that you get 1h cooldown to play another game as a scav.

if the Scav wouldn't have the cooldown, the new players could practise the game easier without the "offline" mode.

Walking/running/jumping:

Sometimes i get stuck on cans, small debree, tiles etc.

I find it a bit silly that my Toon can't lift his foot 10cm off the ground to step over/on a tile.

Jumping is a bit broken aswell.

Sounds:

I don't know if it's just me, but the walking/sneaking/crouching sounds are a bit off and it's quite hard to tell in which direction the sound comes from. 

Also i wonder why the sounds are so insanely loud when you brush against a wall or walk through a bush (gives me a heartattack every single time) and running enemies can be barely heard 10feet away from you.

danathrill

I did make a post about sharing the same feelings with the OP. But I also took a lot of advice from people who have posted on here.

I think a lot of my problems were that I had played Factory map most of the time, and the other maps maybe once each.   So I decided to leave Factory well alone, and started learning the other maps in offline mode. I started watching a few youtube vids to find the exctraction points, and then made sure I could always find landmarks to help locate them. Then learnt scav patrol points, and finally where the loot was.

I must admit I am having a lot more fun than I was only a few days ago, and going in Scav mode, helped me get a tonne of gear and a tonne of money, havent got an Assualt rifle or Sniper rifle, but its good to have that goal. And knowing how and when to use the weapons you have effectively feels very rewarding when you get it right.

So I guess if people have the same hangups I had in my other post, then all I can say is stick with it and take the advice of the community and the game will grow on you.

danathrill
On 8/15/2017 at 6:50 AM, elite3x6 said:

Sounds:

I don't know if it's just me, but the walking/sneaking/crouching sounds are a bit off and it's quite hard to tell in which direction the sound comes from. 

Also i wonder why the sounds are so insanely loud when you brush against a wall or walk through a bush (gives me a heartattack every single time) and running enemies can be barely heard 10feet away from you.

I find that the sounds are a bit off too, one example I was next to a building and someone was walking inside, but sounded like they were outside as if the wall between us wasn't there. And it also sounded no different when I got inside. Can be quite confusing when trying to locate the origin of the sound.