starwars5581

Weapon Handling in EFT (Discussion)

starwars5581

Now let me explain to you why I love the gunplay system in Escape from Tarkov so much:

It is clear from gameplay videos that they have gone the Red Orchestra and Squad route with guns, in my opinion the only way. Why? Because it feels so good. Like, strawberry and cheescake with whipped cream and iced choccolate satisfying. 

Games like Counter-Strike piss me off so much because the gun mechanics are so clunky, un-intuitive and un-natural to the player that it makes me want to vomit on my Keyboard everytime I see it. No iron-sights? WHAT? Bullets that come out seemingly SIDEWAYS from your barrel? What the hell is this bullet spray? I cant hit anything 3meters away not because im Bad at it, or it "Simulates the real clunkiness of guns", which it ducking DOESNT, but because this is one of the worst ways to design gunmechanics. Ever. 0 satisfaction, the guns feel like it came from a Hotwheels box and it plays like a violent cartoon comic. Its frustrating. 

Arma does it bad in a different way. The guy walks around like he took extra large salsa at Taco Bell and did it in his pants and he shoots like he is having epileptic seizures 5-inches at a time. It feels like you are controlling a 900 ping Terminator with the stiffest arm and leg-joints to exist who was built backwards in a chinese pawn shop. The gunplay feels monotonous, counter-intuitive and clunky for no reason other than to get in your way and take all of the satisfaction from shooting. It feels more robotic and arcadier than call of duty. 

Rainbow Six Siege does it better, but not perfect. I see the game as a better version of Counter Strike as it offers all of the tactical depth, but with actual reliable GUNPLAY. If i shoot, I trust the bullets fly straight and dont make a jackson pollock painting on the wall behind my target (Aimed downsight, hipfire is justifiably bad). I can shoot and kill poo, a beginner can shoot ok to get a kill which makes him feel not completely useless to the team. It is satisfying and elimimates frustration. I can also focus more on tactics, positioning, abilities. The weapon handling is still kinda jerky and robotic however, but it is less than annoying, so i can live with that. 

Now let me get to Squad. I love the guns. It feels so nice, so mushy and satisfying. The character feels fluid, natural, like a yummy floppy Jelly cake. The guns feel like they have weight. Like they are dangerous and every bullet counts. I can shoot so well because the physics in this game dont punish you for what you do. If you take time to place your shots well in semi-auto, the recoil is more than manageable, you can actually HIT STUFF (CS ARRGH) accurately at long ranges. Full auto at long range in the game is ill-advised, as it would be in real life. Now in close quarters, i was really positively surprised. Up close you can let loose full auto and pump your enemies full of lead with a recoil system that is really good and mushy. It feels controllable, and you feel confident as a badass soldier. It doesnt matter if you hit all of your shots. They sound dangerous, supress enemies, and cause everyone to hit the ground poo scared clutched onto their teddybears, and you have FUN. FUN! Shooters have stopped being FUN ages ago. 

Escape from Tarkov looks like it will be like Squad. An ultra realistic game that allows you to have fun in whatever playstile you want, whether it be RATATATA rambo or sniper sam. You hit what you aim and every gunfight is determined by skill, not stupid gun mechanics that no one understands or likes. 

Thanks Devs for bringing us this game. Much love. 

• Upvote 2

BravoSierra2

I love Arma but you're right about it's clunkiness, I've never played Squad and don't enjoy Rainbow because I just don't enjoy Rainbow. And you're hella right about CS:GO but it's more of a teamwork/strategy game than it is a shooter, but the gun mechanics DO suck. 

Drakkaar
19 minutes ago, starwars5581 said:

Now let me explain to you why I love the gunplay system in Escape from Tarkov so much:

It is clear from gameplay videos that they have gone the Red Orchestra and Squad route with guns, in my opinion the only way. Why? Because it feels so good. Like, strawberry and cheescake with whipped cream and iced choccolate satisfying. 

Games like Counter-Strike piss me off so much because the gun mechanics are so clunky, un-intuitive and un-natural to the player that it makes me want to vomit on my Keyboard everytime I see it. No iron-sights? WHAT? Bullets that come out seemingly SIDEWAYS from your barrel? What the hell is this bullet spray? I cant hit anything 3meters away not because im Bad at it, or it "Simulates the real clunkiness of guns", which it ducking DOESNT, but because this is one of the worst ways to design gunmechanics. Ever. 0 satisfaction, the guns feel like it came from a Hotwheels box and it plays like a violent cartoon comic. Its frustrating. 

Arma does it bad in a different way. The guy walks around like he took extra large salsa at Taco Bell and did it in his pants and he shoots like he is having epileptic seizures 5-inches at a time. It feels like you are controlling a 900 ping Terminator with the stiffest arm and leg-joints to exist who was built backwards in a chinese pawn shop. The gunplay feels monotonous, counter-intuitive and clunky for no reason other than to get in your way and take all of the satisfaction from shooting. It feels more robotic and arcadier than call of duty. 

Rainbow Six Siege does it better, but not perfect. I see the game as a better version of Counter Strike as it offers all of the tactical depth, but with actual reliable GUNPLAY. If i shoot, I trust the bullets fly straight and dont make a jackson pollock painting on the wall behind my target (Aimed downsight, hipfire is justifiably bad). I can shoot and kill poo, a beginner can shoot ok to get a kill which makes him feel not completely useless to the team. It is satisfying and elimimates frustration. I can also focus more on tactics, positioning, abilities. The weapon handling is still kinda jerky and robotic however, but it is less than annoying, so i can live with that. 

Now let me get to Squad. I love the guns. It feels so nice, so mushy and satisfying. The character feels fluid, natural, like a yummy floppy Jelly cake. The guns feel like they have weight. Like they are dangerous and every bullet counts. I can shoot so well because the physics in this game dont punish you for what you do. If you take time to place your shots well in semi-auto, the recoil is more than manageable, you can actually HIT STUFF (CS ARRGH) accurately at long ranges. Full auto at long range in the game is ill-advised, as it would be in real life. Now in close quarters, i was really positively surprised. Up close you can let loose full auto and pump your enemies full of lead with a recoil system that is really good and mushy. It feels controllable, and you feel confident as a badass soldier. It doesnt matter if you hit all of your shots. They sound dangerous, supress enemies, and cause everyone to hit the ground poo scared clutched onto their teddybears, and you have FUN. FUN! Shooters have stopped being FUN ages ago. 

Escape from Tarkov looks like it will be like Squad. An ultra realistic game that allows you to have fun in whatever playstile you want, whether it be RATATATA rambo or sniper sam. You hit what you aim and every gunfight is determined by skill, not stupid gun mechanics that no one understands or likes. 

+1 to you.

Loved this review, laughed a few times.

Agree with everything, except Squad. Why? you might ask. I've never played it. Interested in it but haven't played it so I can't agree with it, sounds very interesting though.  Currently playing a bit of BF4/R6S/Red Orchesta2. Can't wait for this game to be released though,as you said, looks as delicious as cheescake .. Now I want cheesecake.

Scruffy

Before squad there was BF2:Project Reality ;) I spent days on it...

vicwiz007

funny you mention bullets coming out sideways of guns lol i didnt realize how dumb the physics of that was until now xD i thought about it and in CS you point the barrel down and the bullets fly up toward the guys head 0_o why? no idea lol. but then i watched some tarkov gameplay and he wasnt aiming down the sights but the bullets were actually going to where the barrel was aimed no matter what.

Its glorious, im not sure why i never thought of this before.

Scruffy

Not all games go the realistic route nor they should. Also don't forget, CS mechanic comes from an old game, from times when devs didn't have tools to create a game that correlates to what we have here. Never the less, CS grew to an amazing size with what we think is inferior design. Remember, you don't need realism to enjoy the game ;) 

• Upvote 1

jamie15382
7 hours ago, starwars5581 said:

Why so much hate for CS?!
I played every single game you mentioned above .
They are all have their own gun mechanics which were designed to balanced the game.

And they are all GOOD.

When you said you  "I cant hit anything 3 meters away not because i'm Bad at it"
You are correct ,you might not be bad at the game but you just don't know how guns in CS shoot.
CS have quite a steep learning curve but "when you know how to shoot you will be having a lot of fun"
watch this vid

Tell me that this is what you call "clunky".
You can't say that it's bad if you didn't really try to get good at it.
I posted this coz i am one of those CS players

and I just can't let people say that the game that require you to put your work, you skill, and you time into it is bad just because they dont know how to play it GOOD.

Sorry if this seems rude but i dont really see the point for all the hating on any other games.

• Upvote 1

George Young
7 minutes ago, jamie15382 said:

They are all have their own gun mechanics which were designed to balanced the game.

And they are all GOOD.

When you said you  "I cant hit anything 3 meters away not because i'm Bad at it"
You are correct ,you might not be bad at the game but you just don't know how guns in CS shoot.
CS have quite a steep learning curve but "when you know how to shoot you will be having a lot of fun"
watch this vid

and I just can't let people say that the game that require you to put your work, you skill, and you time into it is bad just because they dont know how to play it GOOD.

Sorry if this seems rude but i dont really see the point for all the hating on any other games.

I played CS, from 1.6 basicly I really loved when I was a child, but now I am more into realism, and CS is nothing like that. I am not saying that cs is bad, it's a really popular game and I had fun with it as well, but nowdays I could not play it and realisticly it's crap. Simply the fact I got a croshair and I cannot look trough sight is enough to consider a shooter arcady,unrealistic. Eventho it is competetive, I think a good realistic shooter like hopefully ET will be m is a much better option, and compering the 2 from realistic perspectve, cs is crap.

• Upvote 1

Scruffy
22 minutes ago, jamie15382 said:

And they are all GOOD.

watch this vid

Different games for different people. Everything for some and something for everyone ;) 

I always played both COD and BF games. Both games kept me interested and I had fun playing them. I make money to spend money and if that means buying games that brings fun to me I don't mind spending. 

I do agree with hating games aswell. The division had great potential, it failed to deliver to my needs. I hope Tarkov will succeed where other games failed me. 

I have no more information than anyone here (mods not equal devs) but I put my money where my mouth is to support EFT development ;)

By the way, I'm in love-hate relationship with CS:GO. That game gave me so much fun and so much grief  at the same time... I guess I'm just a bit masochist ;) 

TarkovEscaper

Thanks for kind words

Don't forget the ballistics, bullets ricochet, bullets changing directions after penetration, jamming (if you wouldn't take care of your gun), several types of reloads adn the fact that the bullets came out of the barrel