Clarification on Servers

Greetings Everyone,

I had a read through the FAQs, and was hoping to achieve some clarification, if possible, on the future intent of servers. Perhaps I'm a little confused, or didn't interpret the server topic correctly, so forgive me if this is a question that has an obvious answer - I did undertake a search with no positive results.

As an Australian, my primary concern is the latency issue that will result from off-shore based servers. Has it been confirmed that servers will be hosted only by Battestate in a 'hive' type of situation, whereby I would need to hope that onshore servers would be purchased by them?

If this is not the case, am I correct to assume that anyone can host a server, from individuals to clans? If this is then confirmed, will there be preventative measures in place to stop admins from abusing loot systems?

Many thanks,

Banicks

Kwahamot

I don't think we've been told much about the servers as of late. I have also tried to find some information and most of it is in regards to the region lock not the server itself. I shall tag @Claus who will be able to answer accurately. 

• Upvote 1
Kwahamot
4 minutes ago, Banicks said:

@Kwahamot Thanks mate. What did you mean by region lock? I don't recall coming across that in my perusing.

This is what one of the Dev's said:

The region is being registered (and added to your copy) when you purchaise the game, so it matters when you start game

Now, you can see the current region on the buttom of the pre-order page. EU region game can be launched anywhere on the planet.

It doesn't matter for AUS region or US, since it is same region for us. You won't be able to START THE GAME from the Europe though. This is it. The rest of the world is fine for you.

Not sure if this'll help.

• Upvote 1
Cryptic Gamer

Region Lock. Info can be found at the bottom of the Pre-Order page - http://www.escapefromtarkov.com/preorder-page .

WARNING! Purchases are locked to a specific geographic region the purchase was made from. The game can only be launched if your current region is the same where the purchase was made. The only exception is Europe — purchases made in this region will be available to launch anywhere around the world.

EDIT: Beaten to it

In addition to this there will be no private hosted servers so you will rely on Battlestate to provide servers for the oceanic region but for now as far as they are concerned NA and AUS are covered by the same region. But this is only a concern for the region lock and I think you'll be placed in sessions with players that have similar pings.

Edited by Cryptic Gamer
  • Upvote 1

@Kwahamot & @Cryptic Gamer

Thanks guys, hadn't even made it to the pre-order page yet. Was trying to find all the hard facts, and I really don't like the sound of that at all. AUS being thrown in with US, especially if we're talking about specific assignment of servers, I think everyone can immediately understand the ramifications of that in a gunplay game, and the resulting loss in sales.

Definitely going to be holding off on any pre-ordering until servers and region locks are clarified in detail, and solidified in concrete. Staying tuned for further updates & official responses though.

Edited by Banicks
Kwahamot

Thanks guys, hadn't even made it to the pre-order page yet. Was trying to find all the hard facts, and I really don't like the sound of that at all. AUS being thrown in with US, especially if we're talking about specific assignment of servers, I think everyone can immediately understand the ramifications of that in a gunplay game, and the resulting loss in sales.

Definitely going to be holding off on any pre-ordering until servers and region locks are clarified in detail, and solidified in concrete.

I don't believe that AUS are being thrown in with the US. That was just in regards to the region lock. Wait for Claus to reply tomorrow (he should do) and he'll be able to tell you the facts. Also tune into the stream that is happening tomorrow since your answer might be mentioned in even more detail.

Here is something I just remembered:

Network infrastructure and server locations are to be finalized during beta load tests; no use posting projected locations which may change yet.

Edited by Kwahamot
  • Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Kwahamot said:

I don't believe that AUS are being thrown in with the US. That was just in regards to the region lock. Wait for Claus to reply tomorrow (he should do) and he'll be able to tell you the facts. Also tune into the stream that is happening tomorrow since your answer might be mentioned in even more detail.

Again, thanks mate. Very nice to have a community that is friendly and knowledgeable.

• Upvote 1
Kwahamot
2 minutes ago, Banicks said:

Again, thanks mate. Very nice to have a community that is friendly and knowledgeable.

No problem and welcome to the community. 

• Upvote 1
Natalino
On Saturday, April 02, 2016 at 3:29 AM, Banicks said:

Greetings Everyone,

I had a read through the FAQs, and was hoping to achieve some clarification, if possible, on the future intent of servers. Perhaps I'm a little confused, or didn't interpret the server topic correctly, so forgive me if this is a question that has an obvious answer - I did undertake a search with no positive results.

As an Australian, my primary concern is the latency issue that will result from off-shore based servers. Has it been confirmed that servers will be hosted only by Battestate in a 'hive' type of situation, whereby I would need to hope that onshore servers would be purchased by them?

If this is not the case, am I correct to assume that anyone can host a server, from individuals to clans? If this is then confirmed, will there be preventative measures in place to stop admins from abusing loot systems?

Many thanks,

Banicks

On Saturday, April 02, 2016 at 3:32 AM, Kwahamot said:

I don't think we've been told much about the servers as of late. I have also tried to find some information and most of it is in regards to the region lock not the server itself. I shall tag @Claus who will be able to answer accurately. 

I have understood your question very well and it is already confirmed that servers will be run from battlestate. No servers from us (gamers). So its hosted by battlestate. Hope this helps and many AU guys have been asking similar questions and I have not seen any dev answer if there is going to be on shore servers but I imagine there should be at least for the whole Oceanic timezones. Since you guys do exist and made the game purchase so I am sure they won't leave you guys out. I would say don't be concerned since there is no reason to and enjoy the game when it comes out.

Have fun and cheers

Natalino

Region lock is concerned regarding where you make the game purchase will only allow you to be able to launch the game that region only.

and there are 3 region locks for EFT

1, RUSSIA (Can be launched from only Russia)

2, Europe (Can be launched from every place in the world)

3, Other (Abbreviation goes here for clarification, Like, AU,ET, US, etc.)  (This can be lunched anywhere except in Russia and Europe)

But this is not anything to do with servers and latency, its all on where the game will be able to run regarding the purchase made. So even though US and AUS are in the same region on the region lock, this doesn't mean you will have the same server, but you are able to buy the game in either the locations and be able to launch it in the other location.

Hope this helps

Edited by Natalino
19 hours ago, Natalino said:

I have understood your question very well and it is already confirmed that servers will be run from battlestate. No servers from us (gamers). So its hosted by battlestate. Hope this helps and many AU guys have been asking similar questions and I have not seen any dev answer if there is going to be on shore servers but I imagine there should be at least for the whole Oceanic timezones. Since you guys do exist and made the game purchase so I am sure they won't leave you guys out. I would say don't be concerned since there is no reason to and enjoy the game when it comes out.

Have fun and cheers

Natalino

Region lock is concerned regarding where you make the game purchase will only allow you to be able to launch the game that region only.

and there are 3 region locks for EFT

1, RUSSIA (Can be launched from only Russia)

2, Europe (Can be launched from every place in the world)

3, Other (Abbreviation goes here for clarification, Like, AU,ET, US, etc.)  (This can be lunched anywhere except in Russia and Europe)

But this is not anything to do with servers and latency, its all on where the game will be able to run regarding the purchase made. So even though US and AUS are in the same region on the region lock, this doesn't mean you will have the same server, but you are able to buy the game in either the locations and be able to launch it in the other location.

Hope this helps

Thanks for the clarification @Natalino

I am yet to pre-order or spend any money on this game, especially until developers officially respond. I think you will find taking into account the above situation of hive-like servers, it's probable that EFT will never get on-shore with Australian servers. When you look at multi-billion dollar developers/publishers such as Blizzard with World of Warcraft. They still don't have on-shore servers, merely SEA based servers up in Asia. Australian hosting is one of the most expensive in the world.

Whilst high latency is not such a huge deal for RPGs, for an FPS of EFT's nature, ping above 50 is going to be a huge disadvantage. Unfortunately this rules out this game at it's core for myself, and most likely other Australians. At least until things change.

It's unfortunate that Battlestate will essentially be missing out on AUS as a market, but, honesty from them and open communication would go a long way. I feel that perhaps if they officially addressed and responded to questions like mine, even if the outcome was a negative in regards to confirming that there won't be onshore servers, it would still go a long way for their 'openness' and PR.

The last thing they should be doing is leaving questions like this unanswered in the hope they profit from Australians, or players of nations in similar situations, come the realization that the game at it's core can't fulfill gunplay due to latency, EFT would be cast into the rest of those 'survival shooters' categories. Best to be open and transparent.

Natalino

Thanks for the clarification @Natalino

I am yet to pre-order or spend any money on this game, especially until developers officially respond. I think you will find taking into account the above situation of hive-like servers, it's probable that EFT will never get on-shore with Australian servers. When you look at multi-billion dollar developers/publishers such as Blizzard with World of Warcraft. They still don't have on-shore servers, merely SEA based servers up in Asia. Australian hosting is one of the most expensive in the world.

Whilst high latency is not such a huge deal for RPGs, for an FPS of EFT's nature, ping above 50 is going to be a huge disadvantage. Unfortunately this rules out this game at it's core for myself, and most likely other Australians. At least until things change.

It's unfortunate that Battlestate will essentially be missing out on AUS as a market, but, honesty from them and open communication would go a long way. I feel that perhaps if they officially addressed and responded to questions like mine, even if the outcome was a negative in regards to confirming that there won't be onshore servers, it would still go a long way for their 'openness' and PR.

The last thing they should be doing is leaving questions like this unanswered in the hope they profit from Australians, or players of nations in similar situations, come the realization that the game at it's core can't fulfill gunplay due to latency, EFT would be cast into the rest of those 'survival shooters' categories. Best to be open and transparent.

hey,

and no problem, if @Claus or @TarkovEscaper answer it for you it can help lots. If not well you just have to wait and see.

Oh and I play lots of FPS games with 119 at best and mostly 200+ so I got used to it lol. And when you happen to get good internet or pink from moving, then you will be rocking like hell xD 

Wish you guys luck

Natalino

notourist

ping and lag is very important , but  server up/donwn rate , lag compensation , tickrate are what "make or break" this game .... graphics are important but none of that matters if you die after hiding (lag compensation artifacts) or if your bullet hits dont register (low communication rate between server and client) what the community often refers to as "netcode" .... who is hosting the servers? how ffast can clients communicate with the servers? tickrate ? etc etc ...

maybe this is too soon , sorry

14 minutes ago, notourist said:

ping and lag is very important , but  server up/donwn rate , lag compensation , tickrate are what "make or break" this game .... graphics are important but none of that matters if you die after hiding (lag compensation artifacts) or if your bullet hits dont register (low communication rate between server and client) what the community often refers to as "netcode" .... who is hosting the servers? how ffast can clients communicate with the servers? tickrate ? etc etc ...

maybe this is too soon , sorry

I understand what you are saying, but if I as an Australian based player are forced to play on SEA or NA server, all those other things you mentioned could be perfectly optimized, but it won't make a difference with ping of 100-250.

@Banicks Sorry for being late.

Yes, we will be the ones hosting the servers. The precise network architecture and server locations are in "under construction" state, so I have no further details yet.

However, we care about our players, and will try to figure out the best setup possible.

P.S. If you happen to have examples of games running their servers in Australia with good quality or, even better, knowledge of Australian server renting market, please contact me via private messages.

• Upvote 3

Great to see this conversation happening!!

Whatever you do, please don't do what Survarium has done with their servers. I live in a rural area in Aus. and so expect to have a slightly higher ping. TBH I would be happy with a ping of 150. In Survarium I am lucky to get under 300 ping which is atrocious and results in painful fps drops, regardless of how well my PC is running. 

It would be great if we could know about locations fairly soon, even if they are not set in stone. Survarium is a free to play so I'm not too fussed with high ping etc. but if I'm forking out $140 for EOD then I'd like to know that I won't be lagging out all the time. I would absolutely love to be financially supporting the dev team but want to know that I will get some enjoyment from it :-) 

One of my mates works with server hosting, however I'm pretty sure they're company just started outsourcing to Indonesia or the Philippines because Aus. servers are too costly. I'll have to check with him though. 

Edited by K1zlyar
  • 2 months later...
On 4/4/2016 at 7:26 AM, Banicks said:ino

Blizzard have had Australian based servers since last year for all of their games.

EA had Australian KOTOR servers

Many companies now have Australian servers for games even Ubisoft.

There is almost no reason to not have Australian based servers otherwise this game will be unplayable. 

On 02/04/2016 at 11:52 AM, Banicks said:

Definitely going to be holding off on any pre-ordering until servers and region locks are clarified in detail, and solidified in concrete. Staying tuned for further updates & official responses though.

In the same boat as you. I am also holding out until well after release to see the state of the online, since it is online only, this will make or break the game.

So far to date, most games that are online have been pretty bad in the ping department due to bad servers and infrastructure, so I am not holding my breath. I don't understand why developers insist on online only when internet is so unreliable.

DraconisF

So if I am reading this right.. even though the location of servers are still up in the air... You will only have the choice of playing on the official servers.. ONLY?

Was kind of hoping for a sort of Private match / server option... Say for groups of people that want to play only with friends, or like any game in this sort of genre...play in a closed server to avoid those who cheat/hack?

Yes I am assuming there will be people who do such things, not because I think any less of Battlestate games or anything.. its just that I have yet to see a game EVER be void of cheaters/hacks, no matter the game company.

Additionally.. A private or offline mode sort of play, if even just for the sake of avoiding PVP, just so one can explore and enjoy what appears to be a awesomely detailed and beautiful game world.. take ones own time for those who are casual players.

• 6 months later...
On 4/4/2016 at 11:36 PM, Nyctea said:

@Banicks Sorry for being late.

Yes, we will be the ones hosting the servers. The precise network architecture and server locations are in "under construction" state, so I have no further details yet.

However, we care about our players, and will try to figure out the best setup possible.

P.S. If you happen to have examples of games running their servers in Australia with good quality or, even better, knowledge of Australian server renting market, please contact me via private messages.

Yay, Devs talking about having Aussie servers :D

• 4 weeks later...
Minions_Gambit

Hey all,

I'm bumping this topic back up so that it remains a point of conversation.  The Oceanic region needs dedi servers for this game to build a community here.

• Upvote 3
AOD_VietCong

I hope they do hahaah, playing on NA server with some fair amount of desync is pretty bad at times but its better then nothing i guess at this point of time, hope they do get an oceania server going up soon would be  great without playing with the lag,desync and high ping.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, Minions_Gambit said:

Hey all,

I'm bumping this topic back up so that it remains a point of conversation.  The Oceanic region needs dedi servers for this game to build a community here.

Thank you so much for doing this. It does need to be addressed.