Eqlibrium

Fps dropping while using scopes. Do you have any toughts regarding reducing this issue??

Tried scope again last night and im astounded over how much fps can drop in some ares. For fun i risked my 400 dollar scope to test how different settings affected performance when looking over bridge in customs. I was near train on the right side of bridge looking over. My fps dropped from 72 to 32 and lower with the settings i normally use. I tried lowering resolution from 4k to 1440p, well, to my surprise it still massacred performance. But it went from low 30's to low 40's to high 30's. After that i turned down lod distance, and draw distance.  I managed to get fps to go up to 47-52. Without scope my fps was very high. Its just crazy how fps drops at some areas using scope.

My hardware isnt bad, 16gb ram, intel 6600k coupled with a msi gtx1080 gaming x.  You will need a monster gpu to get ok fps with high powered scopes. Next gen gpu? :P

I read that this is a problem with unity, and you have tried to report it to the people behind this engine but they dont reply?

So, im question is, if this flaw in the engine dosent get improved. Do you have any ideas on how to somewhat improve this issue, or will this be a flaw that will plague the game until unity gets fixed? Any info regarding this at all?

Thanks. :)

Edited by Eqlibrium

They explained this during gamescom. The problem is you are not zooming in, you are rendering the area zoomed in.

Since you can still see around your scope, your pc needs to render the whole thing twice.

that is whay you get frame drop and it is not easily fixed with Unity Engine and the way scopes are designed.

This is not an issue with anything the EFT DEVs can fix. It is inherent to the Unity Engine and how it does the rendering, so the only ones who can fix it are the Unity DEVs. They have explained this already.

Q: Aiming mode framerate often drops to 30 fps, even on the most powerful computers, this is especially noticeable when using optics. Will that get fixed and optimized?

A: Any aiming, which changes the FOV (Field Of View) somehow triggers grass re-rendering in Unity. Nothing can be done about it, it causes a peak that lowers fps. This bug was reported to Unity a good while ago, but they are yet to fix it. That was the first reason.

The second is, when we look down the scope we have two cameras working at the same time, and that increases the number of objects to render. But it is a price of the realism. There are two options, either we do everything like in the classic shooters and waive the lens, or come up with something else. We are likely to think of something else.

As far as i know, without the Unity DEVs help they will need to think of something else, but at this moment there is no info on how they might do that.

Ok. Tough i made it clear i know its not a game flaw but mainly the engine. Thats why i asked if this is going to be like it is until unity gets a fix or something, or and devs. have some ideas how to reduce the framedrop until some sort of solution comes. 

Its wierd that people behind unity dont take action to try to figure out a fix to reduce this issue...I really hope they fix it, or manages to reduce it in the future.

Tnx for reply's. :)

Edited by Eqlibrium

6 minutes ago, Eqlibrium said:

Ok. Tough i made it clear i know its not a game flaw but mainly the engine. Thats why i asked if this is going to be like it is until unity gets a fix or something, or and devs. have some ideas how to reduce the framedrop until some sort of solution comes. 

Its wierd that people behind unity dont take action to try to figure out a fix to reduce this issue...

Tnx for reply's. :)

Well, the thing is, I don't really know the specifics of this, but this isn't just a Unity issue. I don't think there are any engines which don't have this "Issue." It's present in every single other game I've seen that has Image in Image rendering. Because of how games work, it seems like it's impossible to have a realistic representation of a screen or optic without these frame rate issues.

Hmm, you may be right. When you say that, yea. I noticed performance drops in most games. But nothing compared to this, 80fps drop to 30. That is allot. And lowering settings plus resolution to half of what i normally use, it still drops to 30-40. I never experienced that before. Its a bit sad, its one of the reason i dont use optics very often. Even tho a stealthy\sniper round can be allot of fun. :)

Edited by Eqlibrium