Why are people complaining about the size of continents ?

One of the biggest con of this game (while it's still not out) according to some is the continent size, which is set to be 16x16 kms, and is going to cause too many firefights according to the same people. I played Planetside 2 for like 600 hours or something, maybe more, and what I can say, is that with 8x8 continents, on low populated servers, you barely get a fight going on. Why am I comparing this to Escape from Tarkov ? Because Planetside 2 on low pop is not even close of what is EfT meant to be, in fact, since it's 64 players, in a map that is much more dense, and twice as big as Planetside's continents, it's going to be pretty empty when it comes to players per km². So unless there are going to be hundreds of scavs controlled by the AI at the same time, it might not be that much of a mayhem, considering that the size of planetside continent is just tiny, but already so wide if you put a lot of stuff in it.

4X7auzV.jpg

Not that I'm against big maps, but please, people should maybe realize that 8x8 is already huge, and if planetside continents were dense building-wise (they're almost literally empty), finding a fight on low pop servers would actually be a challenge itself, let alone finding a fight on a continent that is twice as big. I'd definitely love to see extensions of the playable zone since repetitive gameplay is never good, but really, staph complaining about size, we all know it doesn't matter.  ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

what am I even doing with my life, writing some random things at 2:30am.

Edited by Jorick
Patfast

Why are you making a general thread about this? If you wish to educate somebody about the map size, you can use the reply button. Making a general post about will do nothing as those types of people are bound to complain until somebody replies to them directly.

Anyway, there are a few inconsistencies I'd like to point out with your graphic(s):

• The COD map size is a bit of a generalization. Although COD is infamous for its small map size, some of the maps from older CODs are actually formidably large (Strike and Overgrown from COD4 come to mind).
  • The BF map size is definitely a generalization. Even if we're talking about infantry boundaries, maps from BF2 and BF3 like Caspian Border and Silk Road are much bigger than what's depicted, perhaps by 4 or even 5 times.
  • Finally, not with the graphic itself, but your comparison to Planetside is a bit of an apples to oranges comparison here, as PS2 handled the server/planet system much differently than your standard FPS did/does.

I'm not saying your argument is entirely invalid, but it certainly does help to make citations and denote specific examples, so as to make your research a bit more credible. :) 

vicwiz007

I don't get how people would complain about too many firefights. like I hated dayz because the map was so big and fighting was so scarce that half the time you just ran around for an hour to get sniper from God knows where.

I'm excited for a many firefights because the gunplay looks so good and weapons seem much more available, so there will be no restarting with no guns and hours of boredom like I felt in dayz. Plus the map size is big but not huge, and you will have to fight ai scavs a lot. I think it just sounds like they took dayz and said "let's change all the poo parts" xD

P.s i hate to compare it to dayz so much because they arent really that alike but thats a game everyone can use as a reference point.

Edited by vicwiz007
NazT_DragN
1 hour ago, vicwiz007 said:

I don't get how people would complain about too many firefights. like I hated dayz because the map was so big and fighting was so scarce that half the time you just ran around for an hour to get sniper from God knows where.

I'm excited for a many firefights because the gunplay looks so good and weapons seem much more available, so there will be no restarting with no guns and hours of boredom like I felt in dayz. Plus the map size is big but not huge, and you will have to fight ai scavs a lot. I think it just sounds like they took dayz and said "let's change all the poo parts" xD

P.s i hate to compare it to dayz so much because they arent really that alike but thats a game everyone can use as a reference point.

Pertinent part underlined.

Be careful, it's already been stated in the game description itself that "...once you die and lose your stuff it's gone. so make sure you have a stash with extra gear..."

And as far as weapons being more available, that's due to being able to play as a scav, and IF you happen to survive to the end of the raid period, you can transfer the gear from the scav you played to your stash.  With all the detail in gun modding, you're more likely to find gun PARTS and have to hoard them until you have enough to build a gun...or (with a combination of part hoarding and scav looting) might have a gun to add the parts to.

I'm pretty sure that if you are unfortunate enough to lose everything, there might be a way to get starter gear from traders...but then again this IS "Hardcore Survival" and you might only have the option to play as a scav until you get enough gear to play your 'Main' again.

That being said: 1. I've been wrong before and, 2. While the latter may very well be the case. I wouldn't be opposed to it as the result would fit in nice with the overall story.

"...You lost all of your gear and have to rely on an outside source to resupply..." type of thing. If Tarkov were a real place in the set time period, there could be numerous situations in which one would go from Fully Geared to Nothing, then in another phase of (aquisision?). (Meds are causing a brain fart)

The possibilities are really endless, and that's why we as a community buy pre-orders. To help fund the creative options of the developers.

Scruffy

@Jorick

If you look carefully, it says that this game will be played in 16km2 which is more like 4km x 4km not 16x16km which in a dense city areas where most of the buildings will be enterable is in my opinion a good size. From what I understand raids will be based on smaller parts of that main area and you will encounter scavs and other factions almost certainly. This will give you enough fights but also an option to play stealthy and try to avoid them and exit with your loot without confrontation. I think in one of the videos I heard someone yelling: "Let us pass and nobody gets hurt"!

StormyFM
51 minutes ago, Jorick said:

Can a mod delete that thread ? I got drunk yesterday and didn't remember making this thread. Pretty embarrassing.

Haha, lol. But you're right. I'd rather have a smaller map with a good map design that feels like a real location and alive (Like Battlefield or Tarkov or something like that) than a way too huge and empty map that feels and looks boring. (Arma Map for Survival Mods)

Edited by ewz-Stormy
Bravo6Delta
10 minutes ago, ewz-Stormy said:

Haha, lol. But you're right. I'd rather have a smaller map with a good map design that feels like a real location and alive (Like Battlefield or Tarkov or something like that) than a way too huge and empty map that feels and looks boring. (Arma Map for Survival Mods)

I agree with you that smaller map design is preferable to facilitate that realistic intimate feeling but I do think arma and arma map makers do a great job, who else makes maps on that scale for that type of game, there's really no comparison so to say theyre too huge and empty is kinda unfair.  by any means tarkov is gonna be sick what ever size map and style of play its going to be a well thought out and exciting game and I cant wait. I anticipate the final game and even more so the DLC, we might even see map extensions for re playability, which is my only concern. I fully support the devs and its ok to have concerns considering we did ''invest''.

• Upvote 1
StormyFM

Sry, i meant to say it's too empty for that type of game/combat. Arma does a great job for Military stuff with tons of vehicles and many soldiers. But a map size like that would be way too huge for a more CQC gameplay style like EfT. But what i saw from teasers, trailers and screenshots, EfT#s map looks pretty damn awesome.

Edited by ewz-Stormy
  • Upvote 1
vicwiz007

@NazT_DragN I don't think it will be hard to get guns at all. First of all every enemy will have at least one gun (I hope Lol) and people won't be able to carry more than like 3 without completcompletely taking up their inventory. I know you lose all your crap when you die, but due to these things and the fact you'll probably have plenty of stuff in stash, I'd doubt you ever go for more than like 5 minutes without at least a pistol.

I'm also forgetting melee weapons, but anyway I think ammo will be more limiting than gun availability

• 2 weeks later...
Tarkov_Fan_6969
On 4/19/2016 at 5:36 PM, Jorick said:

One of the biggest con of this game (while it's still not out) according to some is the continent size, which is set to be 16x16 kms, and...

Devs have said multiple times the whole map, story raids and free roam, will be 16 square km. That's 4 km by 4 km and about 5.7 km across. Not 16 x 16 km.

Just now, Tarkov_Fan_6969 said:

Devs have said multiple times the whole map, story raids and free roam, will be 16 square km. That's 4 km by 4 km and about 5.7 km across. Not 16 x 16 km.

Yes, realized that long time ago, but it was too late to edit that crap :/

Tarkov_Fan_6969
2 minutes ago, Jorick said:

Yes, realized that long time ago, but it was too late to edit that crap :/

You can edit now so newcomers to the thread are not pointing it out repeatedly.