Taco_Demolisher

8GB RAM seems a bit far fetched

Trigger_Warning

It's 2017 bro. My ram usage sometimes gets to around 10/12 GB. Get at least 16 GB.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Sad 5
  • Upvote 1

Carl_Wheezer
8 minutes ago, Trigger_Warning said:

It's 2017 bro. My ram usage sometimes gets to around 10/12 GB. Get at least 16 GB.

Defending memory leak with "its 2017 bro" as an arguement.

Good joke.

Also, if your ram usage is getting to 10 gb, your pc is fucked.

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

Trigger_Warning
3 minutes ago, Carl_Wheezer said:

Good joke.

Lol, no, Windows uses more RAM if a lot of ram is available. SSD Rapid Mode also eats more RAM. Truth is, you are likely to bottleneck your RAM with only 8GB playing tarkov in 2017. Sorry breh

Edited by Trigger_Warning
  • Thanks 1

rix5

I think all the maps sit in the ram when they have loaded once. 

Memory leak is one thing, 2017 is another thing. Both these guys are right. 

Ram is cheap to buy compared to other parts for the PC. You never have enough of it. 

Trigger_Warning
4 minutes ago, rix5 said:

I think all the maps sit in the ram when they have loaded once. 

Memory leak is one thing, 2017 is another thing. Both these guys are right. 

Ram is cheap to buy compared to other parts for the PC. You never have enough of it. 

You are correct. I have 32 GB of RAM and I never experienced a memory leak in Tarkov because my memory never bottlenecked up to 32 GB. In early days of PUBG, however, my RAM did get filled up completely which means it was a memory leak. 

Carl_Wheezer
2 hours ago, Trigger_Warning said:

Lol, no, Windows uses more RAM if a lot of ram is available. SSD Rapid Mode also eats more RAM. Truth is, you are likely to bottleneck your RAM with only 8GB playing tarkov in 2017. Sorry breh

Then why is it, with my 16gb or RAM, I only have 4gb of it being used with just Steam, Discord and this one tab of Google Chrome up, but when I load into Customs my entire system takes a poo?

Djent_

@Trigger_Warning The only reason we are getting bottle necking with 8gb is because of bad code, this hasn't happened before the 1st beta patch and by no means will this be a requirement, that's why the devs are working on it.

Trigger_Warning
8 hours ago, Carl_Wheezer said:

Then why is it, with my 16gb or RAM, I only have 4gb of it being used with just Steam, Discord and this one tab of Google Chrome up, but when I load into Customs my entire system takes a poo?

Because the game tries to use as much RAM as possible because not used RAM - wasted RAM. I've usually seen ppl with 8 GB having problems but some 16 GB ppl did as well. Considering that the game uses 10-12 GB and sometimes even more it's not hard to do the math and realise why is it bottlenecking. 4gb +12 GB equals 16 GB math doesn't lie yo.

• Upvote 1

Emn
11 hours ago, Trigger_Warning said:

im not gonna buy additional ram for only one game.

by the way- i cannot add ram to mine because no one is producing them anymore (they are little bit old but still powerful). how about used? nobody selling same type which would suit to mine.

• Upvote 1

Trigger_Warning
Just now, Smok_91 said:

im not gonna buy additional ram for only one game.

by the way- i cannot add ram to mine because no one is producing them anymore (they are little bit old but still powerful). how about used? nobody selling same type which would suit to mine.

Which do you use? I'm guessing DDR3? If you really need to you can just find a new set. 

Emn
2 minutes ago, Trigger_Warning said:

Which do you use? I'm guessing DDR3? If you really need to you can just find a new set. 

my friend, im not a kid without serious expenses and i dont have free money to buy new PC. few months ago i upgraded vid card to gtx 1060.

i have no problems with other games (like PUBG) but ofc only tarkov makes problems. and of course, its my fault that game is not working properly.

• Like 2
  • Upvote 1

Trigger_Warning
3 minutes ago, Smok_91 said:

my friend, im not a kid without serious expenses and i dont have free money to buy new PC. few months ago i upgraded vid card to gtx 1060.

i have no problems with other games (like PUBG) but ofc only tarkov makes problems. and of course, its my fault that game is not working properly.

It kinda is, at least at this moment when you're running unoptimised beta.

My buddy ended up getting more RAM just yesterday because his 8 GB wasn't enough. Idk if it makes a difference for you but he ended up buying more used RAM and it worked well for him.  Now he has 12 GB and with medium graphic settings he doesn't botteleneck anymore.

Also, used RAM is not expensive at all... It's actually very cheap compared to other hardware

Aintence

Its 2017 and people still have only 8gb ram?

• Sad 2
  • Upvote 1

Emn

for now i need new car/motorbike, not PC :/ (unless i will win a lottery. then im buying real monster and air conditioning to room)

PotatoWarriah
11 hours ago, Carl_Wheezer said:

Good joke.

First, there is no memory leak, or users with 16, 32 and 64 gb would also be affected, which we are not.
On 32GB game never uses more than 12-13, means that there is lack of optimization, but no memory leak. 

And re "10 gb usage PC description", you need to read a bit. If you have moderately modern operating system (Windows 7, or newer), then you will profit from any amount of additional RAM. Windows will rarely have "Free" RAM, it will always be "Standby". 

For example, see here, around 10% of RAM is unused, while 10GB is on standby. This memory is not free, it contains cached data that does not have to be read from the hard drive, and Windows has algorithms that manage what data is being loaded for optimal performance. In short, more RAM extends your HDD life (although SSDs are not affected by reads much) and improves your PC performance in general. And, Tarkov, loaded in Customs uses ~10GB, which is improvement from previous patch.

image.thumb.png.1daffaecadd0a4c667560065f343ceba.png

Here is another example from my other PC where I have 8GB:

FY7ctNb.png

This PC is not running anything now (I use it only for Discord and Chrome), and it has 400MB of RAM free, so it means I could open few more tabs in Chrome before it starts sacrificing cache or paging to hdd. If I were to play a game on this PC, it means it would have to free at least 5-6GB of memory (write it to HDD) in order to have enough space to load the game, and these other applications will still be running, so anything that happens there (i.e. if you have facebook open and receive notification) it might trigger them to load their stuff into memory, causing HDD read time spike, removal of game data from memory and writing it to HDD, and associated stutters/frame drops.

For running Tarkov in current build (beta 0.2.120) you would optimally need to have 12-14GB "Available" memory (cached + free) before launching the game. Of course if you do not have, you can still test it but experience will be far from optimal, and if you do not want to experience that, then your only available actions are increasing amount of RAM, or waiting for build with more optimizations.

• Thanks 2

Trigger_Warning
6 minutes ago, PotatoWarriah said:

Of course if you do not have, you can still test it but experience will be far from optimal, and if you do not want to experience that, then your only available actions are increasing amount of RAM, or waiting for build with more optimizations.

Couldn't have explained it better myself. Some people just cling to the idea that if their RAM usage is bottlenecking it must be a memory leak... No, it's just you don't have enough resources.

• Like 1

failedklutch

The MINIMUM ram is 6 GB. If you have 8, you are barely over the MINIMUM. 8 is recommended. So many people don't understand that these state of the art games use a lot of recourses. 5 years ago 8 GB of RAM was amazing. And before that 4 was amazing. Guess what guys, 8 GB of RAM is no longer suitable for current OS and games along with AV programs and God knows what else you have running in the background. If you don't have 16 GB of RAM you are living in the past and most likely still have a Letterman's jacket, Camaro, and a mullet. (jk) But seriously, 8 GB is nothing anymore. 

Emn

ok guys. my friend has i7, gtx 1070 and 16gb ram and he cant play.

now tell me again that ram is the problem ;] 

• Like 1

side1394
On ‎9‎/‎19‎/‎2017 at 4:53 AM, Trigger_Warning said:

You are correct. I have 32 GB of RAM and I never experienced a memory leak in Tarkov because my memory never bottlenecked up to 32 GB. In early days of PUBG, however, my RAM did get filled up completely which means it was a memory leak. 

I have also 8GB ram, game used to run at 80+ FPS on high detail with absolutely no problems until the patch. How do you explain that? Also, I run Factory/Woods at 80-90 FPS post patch and no problems, Customs at 20 FPS and constant freeze-ups longer then 10 seconds.

With this patch even bigger then before memory leak appeared, devs are working to fix, it is already on forum. My problem is that on Customs EFT uses my HDD at 100%, It's like permanently loading the map or textures. Bottom line: problem is server wise, not PC wise, pre patch used to run smoothly on all maps, now 85% of players have problems with huge memory/hdd/cpu leaks

7 hours ago, failedklutch said:

The MINIMUM ram is 6 GB. If you have 8, you are barely over the MINIMUM. 8 is recommended. So many people don't understand that these state of the art games use a lot of recourses. 5 years ago 8 GB of RAM was amazing. And before that 4 was amazing. Guess what guys, 8 GB of RAM is no longer suitable for current OS and games along with AV programs and God knows what else you have running in the background. If you don't have 16 GB of RAM you are living in the past and most likely still have a Letterman's jacket, Camaro, and a mullet. (jk) But seriously, 8 GB is nothing anymore. 

Indeed 8 GB is on the low side for today, 16 GB is recommended but in this case it's not the RAM problem its the PATCH!

side1394

I play with a friend that has 16 GB and still has 100% RAM usage on Customs. Explain the "there is no memory leak thing" after devs already posted that they are aware and investigating what is causing and how to fix this major problem. The fact that you have 32 GB's of RAM may be enough to cover for the leaks and smooth, but the problem is real and affects most of us. In requirements of EFT I don't remember seeing 32 GB's recommended, it's not normal for a game to use so much RAM!

In my hardware enthusiast opinion some would say: "You know nothing, John Snow!"

:D

Edited by side1394

Trigger_Warning
5 hours ago, side1394 said:

I play with a friend that has 16 GB and still has 100% RAM usage on Customs. Explain the "there is no memory leak thing" after devs already posted that they are aware and investigating what is causing and how to fix this major problem. The fact that you have 32 GB's of RAM may be enough to cover for the leaks and smooth, but the problem is real and affects most of us. In requirements of EFT I don't remember seeing 32 GB's recommended, it's not normal for a game to use so much RAM!

In my hardware enthusiast opinion some would say: "You know nothing, John Snow!"

The devs didn't say it was a memory leak. Low FPS is caused by other issues. PotatoWarriah explained to you in great detail what's what in his post. If you still think it is a memory leak I suggest you look up a definition of one. Because if it was, it doesn't matter how much RAM you have 32 or 128 it would all get filled up quickly. But I'm sure a self proclaimed hardware enthusiast such as yours should know what that means.

PotatoWarriah
20 hours ago, side1394 said:

It is not memory leak, because of definition of memory leak.

wyDkplN.png

The memory that is being used in Tarkov is not discarded. It is discarded after raid ends, and at that time it is released, because memory usage goes to the amount that was used prior to the raid start.

That is why ETF does not have memory leak, it has excessive memory usage. For someone who has 8GB, it does not make any difference, but for someone who has enough memory it makes all difference in the world - because app with memory leak will eventually use up all available memory and crash or cause system crash, while app that only has excessive usage problem will work normally on a system that has enough memory.

As a matter of fact, EFT with current excessive memory usage (for a system of 8GB) will work much better and faster on system with 32GB, than how it will work once it is optimized to work on 8GB (because right now all assets are already in RAM, and performance is great, no need to read assets from hard drive).

With great optimization effort, in this case, they can reduce a lot of usage of memory by optimizing usage of certain assets/shaders so that duplicates are identified and then only one unique item is created and used instead of many duplicates. This would not have much negative effect on current performance on high end systems, but it might be enough to make it run on 8GB.

If they decide that i.e. all items will be re-rendered every time you open inspect - that will have negative impact on performance because every time you open an item you will have to wait for its model to be generated (right now they are all pregenerated and saved into RAM, and that takes several GB of memory). Of course, it would make possible to run the rest of the game on system with 8GB, but maybe they will implement some detection that works by default as it is, but if it detects that system is low end, then don't keep assets in cache and generate them every time they are needed.

side1394
16 hours ago, Trigger_Warning said:

The devs didn't say it was a memory leak. Low FPS is caused by other issues. PotatoWarriah explained to you in great detail what's what in his post. If you still think it is a memory leak I suggest you look up a definition of one. Because if it was, it doesn't matter how much RAM you have 32 or 128 it would all get filled up quickly. But I'm sure a self proclaimed hardware enthusiast such as yours should know what that means.

Lol! There are 2 people on this forum arguing that post patch there is no memory leak (you and the other guy) and all the rest claim that this is a memory leak caused by this patch.

Low caused by other issues? Which issues would that possibly be? The memory leak after this patch seems to top out at 12-13 GB of RAM. Let me explain: people with 8 gigs are experiencing a very high HDD/SSD usage rate 100%/50%, first game tops out on the RAM then uses the pagefile increasing it to a rate that HDD can't cope with or partial load on SSD. This causes FPS drops/freeze-ups even at users with 16 GB's of RAM. As far as I know problem only on customs/woods/shoreline, not on factory.

If this problem would be related to 8+GB's of RAM needed, Factory would be also unplayable as the rest of the maps, would you agree?

P.S. Did you ever see any other game using this much RAM?

16 minutes ago, PotatoWarriah said:

It is not memory leak, because of definition of memory leak.

wyDkplN.png

The memory that is being used in Tarkov is not discarded. It is discarded after raid ends, and at that time it is released, because memory usage goes to the amount that was used prior to the raid start.

That is why ETF does not have memory leak, it has excessive memory usage. For someone who has 8GB, it does not make any difference, but for someone who has enough memory it makes all difference in the world - because app with memory leak will eventually use up all available memory and crash or cause system crash, while app that only has excessive usage problem will work normally on a system that has enough memory.

As a matter of fact, EFT with current excessive memory usage (for a system of 8GB) will work much better and faster on system with 32GB, than how it will work once it is optimized to work on 8GB (because right now all assets are already in RAM, and performance is great, no need to read assets from hard drive).

With great optimization effort, in this case, they can reduce a lot of usage of memory by optimizing usage of certain assets/shaders so that duplicates are identified and then only one unique item is created and used instead of many duplicates. This would not have much negative effect on current performance on high end systems, but it might be enough to make it run on 8GB.

If they decide that i.e. all items will be re-rendered every time you open inspect - that will have negative impact on performance because every time you open an item you will have to wait for its model to be generated (right now they are all pregenerated and saved into RAM, and that takes several GB of memory). Of course, it would make possible to run the rest of the game on system with 8GB, but maybe they will implement some detection that works by default as it is, but if it detects that system is low end, then don't keep assets in cache and generate them every time they are needed.

You are right with one thing, memory leak is most common term used, indeed this game has excessive memory usage

Edited by side1394