"please use the search function before opening new topics" and thanks for a great game

sweplatte

Since a month the escape from tarkov is the goto when not a work (and even at work). I would like to extend my deepest appriciation for this great game. However reading the forums, I often see threads with valid questions being closed with the phrase "please use the search function before opening new topics". I am referring to the "Can't seem to reach Level 60" thread which was locked with that very frequent comment.

To really understand the magnitude of the forum users inability to conform to forum rules I tried using the same with the search string "max level" and "max level 59".

Judge by my surprise, there was no hits (other than the just mentioned thread Can't seem to reach Level 60)...

Please don't let this forum become as in so many other games where beginners are treated with disrespect from both other users AND moderators unless there is a very good reason for it.

Again, thanks for an awesome game and if this thread get closed I rest my case.

Edited by sweplatte
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1
Woodsen_Moosen

I found this topic from September 11, and this topic from August 24. Both of those topics I found searching "max level" like you did, and they both answer the question.

Please do not assume we are rude to players by telling them to utilize the search function to reduce repeat topics or clogging the forums with unnecessary questions that have been answered already. Obviously the answer was out there.

sweplatte

Not beeing cheekie in any way but if I search for "max level" in search box up to the right i get only 2 hits. On the same note I am not assuming you are rude, I am just stating the fact that I am one more of the ones that can not reproduce the search hits (screenshots attached) that you assume people can. Obviously in my eyes the answer was not out there.

I was trying to be helpful. Will not happen again.

image.png

Edited by sweplatte
sweplatte

On another sidenote this is another searchresult with the same param... If anything is obvious it would be that the searchfunction presented as a higher order function by the way its placed in the UI does not produce the expected results..

And this is me trying to be helpful again despite I promised not to be.

image.png

Edited by sweplatte
Underhook

I understand where you are comming from.  I also understand that the mods have to keep the forum tidy.

When i ask a question that i thought there should be an answer to (but i could not find it),  i usually say that i did a search but found nothing on the topic.  

By doing that, your thtead stays active and it saves the mods time.  Everbodys happy :)

• Like 1
sweplatte

To be honest this thread should die and the front end team at EFT should correct the issue consisting of the fact that the searchbox on this forum produces very different results depending on from which state of the UI it was envoked from and as a result of that inflicts unnessesary work to forumadmins in threads like this and the original post.

SectorOnPc
Just now, sweplatte said:

To be honest this thread should die and the front end team at EFT should correct the issue consisting of the fact that the searchbox on this forum produces very different results depending on from which state of the UI it was envoked from and as a result of that inflicts unnessesary work to forumadmins in threads like this and the original post.

Maybe use the search function to figure that out next time?

• Confused 1
sweplatte

I highly doubt forum users would try search for keywords, get 0 results, refine search results and get 0 results and then not feel it would be legit to create a thread.

Its clearly a bug or by best a very poor executed task of implementing forum search functionality and not an intended behaviour, and what my post is all about. If whoever is fine with that, let the closing of threads in an abrubt way for forumnewcomers continue. I bet it is helping us to promote the forum, the game and the admins (sarcasm by intention).

Edited by sweplatte
SectorOnPc
1 minute ago, sweplatte said:

I doubt forum users would try search for keywords, get 0 results, refine search results and get 0 results and then not feel it would be legit to create a thread.

This is a link I found to creating new threads for everything, honestly so many people have problems with the forums and the game and I just can't relate.¯\_(ツ)_/¯

• Like 1
sweplatte

Very nice guide despite it is totally not isolating why so many having problems. Its the simple fact of that the user will not get any results or not complete results if he invokes the search box from several different states of the UI.

8 hours ago, sweplatte said:

Very nice guide despite it is totally not isolating why so many having problems. Its the simple fact of that the user will not get any results or not complete results if he invokes the search box from several different states of the UI.

http://prntscr.com/gt41b4

Is what I get with a search from the main forum page: http://forum.escapefromtarkov.com/

When you click in the search bar, it will default to search the area you are in (so if you are in general game forum, it will search general game forum) and will miss a lot of results, for best search results please search from the homepage of the forums.

The "Can't seem to reach Level 60" thread was mine.

Thx a lot @sweplatte, cause i DID use the search function. I just couldn't find anything useful (like many of you). I even googled ;-)

And also thx a lot @Lewisuk, cause maybe i just used it wrong.

Never the less, thx for the great game!

• Like 1

The closing of threads in this forum is absolutely ridiculous. Two things:

1. Closing a thread for being answered: A forum is not some kind of black and white Q&A platform where people get an answer to something and the problem is solved. Closing a thread for being "answered" is utter nonsense. Why? First of all, if it is truly answered nobody else would have additional or clarification questions regarding that anyway and wouldn't post anything regardless. Second of all, who is to say if it was answered correctly? I have seen topics here where OP asks a question, gets a wrong answer, says thanks for the answer and a Moderator closes the thread for being answered - isn't that a little stupid? And last but not least, even actual Q&A platforms are not closing their topics - for a good reason, because answers may change over time (because the game is changing) and better answers and solutions may come up in the future.
  2. Closing a thread for having been discussed already: Especially for a constantly changing subject like a game under heavy development the same discussions are bound to happen over and over again and there is nothing wrong with it, unless it happens in multiple threads at the same time (which then could get easily resolved by merging threads). An issue has been discussed some time ago by other people during an older game version, so what? I've found myself googling some questions and concerns about the game and was led often enough to empty closed threads. I've seen countless of topics where OP puts a lot of effort into describing and discussing an issue and that entire effort gets dismissed by "Discussed already" or "use search function", as if everything he points out has no relevance because other people have talked about the issue before.

I have also seen threads closed despite still valid discussions and debates going on, just because a Moderator thought it counts as "answered". I don't even know how a discussion can be answered. And then there are those closed threads for being in a wrong section, as if moving a thread is not a thing. Overall the Moderation in this forum is a huge mess handled by plenty of unexperienced people.

• Like 1