Sign in to follow this  
RogueRAZR

US Weapons and Item costs

RogueRAZR

I just wanted to make a suggestion on weapon and item pricing. Specifically relating to prices for civilian purchase currently in the US. As well as a suggestion to add the civilian spec, semi-auto versions of weapons in the game.

First off, I find many of the weapons and items in the game to be much cheaper than the IRL items they represent. Perhaps this is done for balance, however I also know you guys wanted items to be priced as close to IRL as possible. I am only going to comment on the USD prices for now as im from the US and not Russia and have no idea what pricing is like on that side of the world.

The AR-15 and the Military M4. Currently the in-game price of the M4 in game is $750usd. I find this to be inline with some of the most common civilian AR-15s and I believe it would be great to add a civilian semi-auto variant at this price point. However in the US the fully-automatic military version of the M4 is several thousand USD. Most AR15 and AK civilian rifles in the US are priced between $600-$1800 depending on the model and builder. The fully automatic versions are generally closer to $6000 or more. I feel like this is fair in game as fully automatic weapons have very distinct advantages vs their civilian counter parts. 

I'd also like to comment on some of the optics. At my local gun range. The EoTech XPS Holo sights are generally between 450 and 600$ depending on the model. Burris fastfire is about $125, Trijicon ACOG scopes start at around $1200usd and you can even get PVS-14 nightvision, however they are around $3500. It seems the cost of most of these items in game are about half of their IRL cost.

Edited by RogueRAZR

TechoverMana

Fully automatic version in the US are priced like that because of a lot of laws and regulations meant to prevent civilians from owning those sorts of weapons. The NFA of 1986 keeps any automatic weapon built after 1986 banned for civies, and means there's only very few that are in circulation and only get more expensive. On top of that, there's a bunch of forms and tax stamps you have to get to have automatic weapons. An M4A1 is really like an $800 gun, but once you add taxes and prices for dealing with regulations and having to find the few that are actually legal, it's 800 bucks for the gun and 4000 bucks in taxes and stamps, 2 things which arms dealers supplying to big boy paramilitary groups and mercenaries aren't going to be dealing with. These aren't some guys straw purchasing a car trunk full of guns for a local gang, these guys are supply officers and other suppliers that are getting these things shipped by the tens of thousands, probably close to directly from a factory or major arms depot.

The US Army and Marines aren't buying M16s and M4s at 5000 dollars a pop. Most sources have it where the armed forces buy them at like 700-900 dollars a pop.

"For bulk purchasers, a new M-4 costs about $800 per rifle, though the price is often higher when after-market rail systems, used for mounting optics and lights, are included. For rifles used by the American military, the United States Army requires Colt to install a rail system manufactured by Knight’s Armament Company of Vero Beach, Fla.; this pushes the price per piece to about $1,100."
https://atwar.blogs.nytimes.com/2010/01/08/the-making-of-the-militarys-standard-arms/

Which adding a nice mount and optic to the M4 in Tarkov brings it to about that price range too, with only a few percentage points of error either way.

It's an older article, but it shows the military is buying fully automatic weapons at far lower prices because they don't have to go through all the tax loops and stuff they make civilians go through. Same thing with silencers, bombs, grenades, ect. Civilians can't get that, or if they can, it costs an arm and a leg because of the gun control laws, taxes and regulations that the military doesn't have to go through.

As far as the scopes and nightvision there might be more room to try to bring those prices in line, but the costs for most of the guns seems fairly spot on for military and paramilitary groups for what they'd be allowed to buy and at what prices.

• Upvote 4

vatt84

It is much like wholesale prices for everything really.

When I was younger I worked for a wine shop. We did bulk wholesale for restaurants and hotels which had a lower price and different tax code than for individual customers. It essentially worked out 30-40% cheaper for the bulk buy businesses. It's pretty much like this for all large scale commerce, where it's guns, food, luxury items etc :) 

Yukari_Akiyama
On 10/5/2017 at 8:48 AM, RogueRAZR said:

However in the US the fully-automatic military version of the M4 is several thousand USD

Not for the military, police or organizations like PMCs. Do you really think the military and police are paying thousands extra for a burst trigger pack and full auto bolt?

20170810_085210.jpg

• Like 1

PIK

think about the scenario, around tarkov is a warzone and the scenario is far in the future, it doesent matter what guns cost now on the other side of the earth =)

think traderprices are the most important thing for the balance, because all the gameplay i wish as realistic as possible.

so if weapons are mighty they should be expensive at the traders, if the are close to useless they can be cheap, dosnt matter what the

cost in reallife for me

TechoverMana
17 minutes ago, PIK said:

think traderprices are the most important thing for the balance

This IMO is a rare game that should toss aside concerns of balance and other traditional game logic out in favor of realism and simulation based on what we see in the real world.

• Upvote 1

PIK

what we see in reallife is that you can buy an ak47 for 3 chicken in parts of africa where people starving and in syria inmidden of an war it costs 1500 us dollar. reallife economy works like it works, if their is a broken overseacontainer with 5000 as val stranded near the tarkov coast and every scav got one, but nobody has ammo for it, its worthless.....

dosnt matter what the gun cost now on a homepage in the united states.....

who says dollars or roubles are still the same worth in 10 years...

traderprices are gamebalance elements and not more

FLP

until the launch of the game the sellers will change a lot ... 

but we can not rely on prices, Tarkov has been isolated, if you want to buy something you will have to pay a different price.

LeaningLazarus

When on the subject of trading; cash.

Are there any thoughts on tweaking the amount of cash found?
Specifically USD and Euro (is € even being used at the moment?), where you can get rubles pretty easy, since all but the Peacekeeper are buying almost everything.

Speaking of roubles, is there any chance of you doubling the stacks? The stacks of only 50k are starting to tear at the ol' stash a bit!

Thanks for working on this great game!

LightCodex
12 hours ago, Yukari_Akiyama said:

Not for the military, police or organizations like PMCs. Do you really think the military and police are paying thousands extra for a burst trigger pack and full auto bolt?

Any chance my good sir you are in the military? I'd recognize FedLog any day.

On a related note, yes the military/PMC don't have to pay those extra fees or the markup that all or most civilians would see.

Edited by LightCodex