New Player Tutorial

Upon character creation, I think there should be a PvE, vendor driven, tutorial. I'm tired of hearing (and seeing) people, who are brand new to the game, spend all of their money on their first raid only to die by the hands of an experienced player. As it stands, the game isn't that new player friendly. While I don't believe the content of the game should change, I think that the new player experience (those who are not used to an ultra-core sim) would benefit from a forced tutorial upon player creation--- something short that details the danger of life, death, and, survival in Tarkov. Running with this idea, what if the outcome of this first (tutorial) mission could set the player in good standing with a specific vendor. For example, if you die, maybe you get a message from the Therapist suggesting their team nursed you back to health and she expects more from you to pay back the medical supplies you used. Maybe Prapor has a number of Scavs that need taken out. Peacekeeper might be looking for specific intel. The avenues for this kind of tutorial could be really interesting. 

• Like 1

Games have a learning period and just because someone is new they shouldn't get it any easier.

We all were new at some point, I know why you guys want it but at the end of the day this is a hardcore game not like cod where nothing matters.

7 hours ago, ivo_dark said:

Games have a learning period and just because someone is new they shouldn't get it any easier.

We all were new at some point, I know why you guys want it but at the end of the day this is a hardcore game not like cod where nothing matters.

This is the kind of thinking that will fracture the community. I know many people who are interested in the game, but don't fully understand the extent (and cost) of death. I see no reason why the first match, a new player should play, couldn't be a SCAV run. Doing this would eliminate the probability of them spending all of their starting cash on gear and then immediately dying, and, at the same time, offer a quick lesson on how vulnerable you are to death in this game. 

2 hours ago, costello said:

This is the kind of thinking that will fracture the community. I know many people who are interested in the game, but don't fully understand the extent (and cost) of death. I see no reason why the first match, a new player should play, couldn't be a SCAV run. Doing this would eliminate the probability of them spending all of their starting cash on gear and then immediately dying, and, at the same time, offer a quick lesson on how vulnerable you are to death in this game. 

Really?

So it's my fault that I have time to play more than others?

What part of "scav mode won't be in the full game" didn't you understand?

Plus there is plenty of information as to what happens when you die. If someone dies after that with all their stuff and didn't know about it then that's on them.

First off @ivo_dark scav mode will be a part of the game, offline is the thing that will not..

As to the OP, this is designed as a hardcore game so the lack of tutorial is to be expected. This is not designed to be a forgiving game for just anyone, the devs have made this perfectly clear.

Later we will possibly see a training mode to learn maps, but beyond this it is expected to be up to you to figure out or to do research into a subject to learn more

While I appreciate everyones' enthusiasm toward the game,  apparently the point of the original post was missed. I wasn't talking about learning maps, nor was I suggesting that this is supposed to be a forgiving game. What I did suggest; however, is that the community, and future reception, would benefit from a 'first mission' buffer for new players as they may not realize what kind of experience they are getting into. Let's not justify new player hazing here. Textbook quality assurance principals suggest that an opportunity for new players to understand risk, reward, and game systems, without punishing them upfront, will greatly increase the short (and long) term player retention base. 

The allure of gun customization and tactical simulation may seem familiar enough to new players that they think they will be better than they actually are. As such, I'm fairly certain that most first time players will be killed on their first extraction. Again, to reinforce that experience, retain the player-base, and provide great quality control, it isn't a bad idea to /consider/ an introduction. 

I hope that we can steer away from our ego-- debating why this game is the most 'hardcore'. My concern was strictly about public reception, appeal, and good quality control. It's perfect O.K. to disagree, just don't misrepresent what I said, please.

On 10/14/2017 at 9:23 AM, ivo_dark said:

I would agree with you if matchmaking was balanced, matching a level 1 player with many level 50+ players is impossible for the new players to learn, they are going to get killed on sight. Same with groups, if the player joins solo they should be matched with solo players.

This game will fail unless that is addressed, at its current state this game is horrible for new and solo players.

38 minutes ago, Arcano30 said:

I would agree with you if matchmaking was balanced, matching a level 1 player with many level 50+ players is impossible for the new players to learn, they are going to get killed on sight. Same with groups, if the player joins solo they should be matched with solo players.

This game will fail unless that is addressed, at its current state this game is horrible for new and solo players.

Agreed. Matchmaking should balance out gear score, party size, and, player level. I always fine it funny when people try to use the 'hardcore game' as an excuse why new players need to 'git guud.' Steel Division: Normandy, is an amazingly rich, simulated, hardcore RTS, and yet, there are more people playing Space Station 13, than a hardcore AAA RTS. My point is, the new player experience need to be refined a bit in order to appeal to more people. While I enjoy the masochistic realism of this game, people transitioning from other games may require some coaching. We don't want to isolate our community by raising the skill ceiling too high on the first mission. 

19 hours ago, necuja said:

First off @ivo_dark scav mode will be a part of the game, offline is the thing that will not..

As to the OP, this is designed as a hardcore game so the lack of tutorial is to be expected. This is not designed to be a forgiving game for just anyone, the devs have made this perfectly clear.

Later we will possibly see a training mode to learn maps, but beyond this it is expected to be up to you to figure out or to do research into a subject to learn more

My bad then,I'm sorry.

I did read somewhere in the forum that it would be removed but I guess that was wrong.

1 hour ago, Arcano30 said:

I'm a solo player for the most part and honestly it is frustrating but with the right strategy it can be pretty good.

On 10/15/2017 at 12:09 AM, costello said:

Doing this would eliminate the probability of them spending all of their starting cash on gear and then immediately dying, and, at the same time, offer a quick lesson on how vulnerable you are to death in this game. 

If they're stupid enough to buy good gear for their first runs - its their damn problem imho. 

I remember when i first started playing i didnt buy anything more expensive than makarov for probably a week, until i was confident enough to start spending money on bigger guns.

4 minutes ago, xhossman said:

If they're stupid enough to buy good gear for their first runs - its their damn problem imho. 

I remember when i first started playing i didnt buy anything more expensive than makarov for probably a week, until i was confident enough to start spending money on bigger guns.

You're letting your own experience, and ego, get in the way of good quality control. I don't think anyone was questioning how good of a player you are. 

3 minutes ago, costello said:

You're letting your own experience, and ego, get in the way of good quality control. I don't think anyone was questioning how good of a player you are. 

Maybe i expressed myself incorrectly, or maybe you misunderstood me. I never even mentioned how good or bad i am. I said that its kind of a common sense - when you are new to the game, its probably not the smartest idea to spend your cash on m4 and buy fort on forums - and then die 3 seconds in-raid.

Like....i dont know - you dont buy a streetracing car if u have just learnt how to drive an hour ago.  You dont purchase a $1 000 000 house, if you got promoted yesterday , etc etc.... know what i mean?

Same here. And hand-holding those ppl who dont understand that is unnecessary 

Edited by xhossman

I skipped most of the comments, but am commenting to say my own experience. Yes it is frustrating to have this situation happen, BUT i knew what i was getting into buying this game early access. I bought some guns, bought all the stuff for it, brought in a lot of stuff and lost it a couple times. Very frustrating but its a learning curve. Maybe in the full game having a newbie section they have to play in or like was stated a small tutorial run. I don't think this needs rushed really though. Most all of us looked into the difficulty of the game before buying it.

CrispyCrame

I agree that eventually they should add a starter mission to familiarize new players to the game. However, with the game in its current state, I believe that spending time and resources to add one now would be a waste. They would have to completely rework it later on to accommodate all of the changes.

There are plenty of outside resources to familiarize new players to the game that should suffice for the time being. (youtube, twitch etc.) 

johncage213
4 hours ago, costello said:

to be fair, the game is being marketed as hardcore to the point of alienating, which is refreshing bit of honesty from developers these days, when most of the time game devs are saying things to placate players and reel in potential buyers who they know full well will not enjoy the game.

there are plenty of opportunities for players to train themselves in the game, when you enter a raid it gives you an option to have it offline or with ai, these options are unavoidable, the onus is on the player. if they skip these opportunities to familiarize themselves, what's to stop them from skipping the new player tutorial as well?

if they make a tutorial,i hope at least it'll be memorable and interesting and worth the development time. something like an interactive "intro" could be cool. maybe you take a walk doing mundane tasks in the pmc facility of your choosing, visit the shooting range, are given tasks to interact with things, etc. or maybe they could have a dedicated training room ala "kill house" from the original rainbow six games.

I love how brutal this game is, it's amazing! That's what kind of sucked me in to begin with.

I feel a bit of match making would help when it comes to lower players getting matched with higher level players but other than that, I'll keep on continuing to spawn and die until I get better at the game, I am happy with that.

This is to adress the mentions about matchmaking.

The matchmaking is fine, yes it can be annoying to die from time to time but you play your cards right and you will mostly benefit from it.

Like there was once 2 groups that happened to get in same game as a team it was 1 versus 6 and with few changes of position and 2 grenades it was 1 versus 1 thou I died to the last guy, but the point is that even level 1 player can kill an fully armored fort player with 3 leg shots or if they get lucky and hit face shot so helmet doesn't help the geared guy, meaning that they would get really good gear right away but as easy it wwas to get it is also to lose it.

Edited by Timo-chi
Typo Atleast 1 is fixed ;)