UI for mixing ammo types [Graphic Examples]

Forien

Ammo mixing is a real thing. Maybe not for sport shooters, maybe not for those, who carry arms for self defence. But in military it's pretty common. Especially with belt feeding, like here:

Spoiler

ammo-box.jpg

It's box of 900 rounds of 5.56x45mm, mixed. It's pattern is 4x Ball, 1x Tracer and repeat. I know we probably won't get belt fed weapons in EfT, that was just easy example of real-life application.

In EfT we can mix ammo types in our magazines. But doing 4/1 split like above in 60-round mag is difficult, boresome and unintuitive.

My suggestion is that we could use some UI to achieve this thing. We could select ammo types, set count and be able to say "it's a pattern, please repeat until mag is full". 

I have even brought my superior Paint Skillz (yeah, that's a lie, I've used Photoshop...), to show an example what I've been thinking of.

STEP 1:

Spoiler

Below is the first screen. It shows basic layout of the UI. Below is second screen with ammo type selection.

1. Click here to select ammo type
  2. Shows selected mag
  3. Allows to choose other mag

image.png.5d806219243613a15c0fc08a7ec1f01f.png

image.png.45b2e105cf2a88555915e224c5343828.png

STEP 2:

Spoiler

This screen shows what does the UI look like when selected one type of ammo.

1. Selected ammo (here HP)
  2. Slider to select quantity of rounds (max is free space in mag, in this case mag is 0/30 so max is 30)
  3. Arabic representation of selected quantity. Could be also manual input
  4. Representation of ammunition that's to be loaded into the mag

image.png.5c9cc1bb4401d857db929acd7e439f3c.png

STEP 3 (repeating pattern):

Spoiler

This screen show how applying a simple pattern would look like

1. Sliders for each respective type of rounds
  2. Quantity/manual input for each type of rounds
  3. Represantation of pattern (bottom round is loaded first into mag, shot last)
  4. Ability to treat combination as a pattern and repeat it until magazine is fully loaded

image.png.c8c1910fa4cfa1dc24017ceda1952414.png

Example above would pretty much load ammo like this (imagine it's within the mag):

image.png.cba1c1a6c8b257d3ba0878601650b9b2.png

STEP 4 (non-repeating pattern):

Spoiler

This one is easier to do at the moment in the game, and a lot of players are using this setup (maybe not with HP ammo, it's an example anyway):

1. Slider and quantity for first batch of rounds (bottom ones in mag - shot last)
  2. Quantity for next batch of rounds (top ones in mag - shot first)
  3. Slider of the ammo type. It's maxed out, because after applying the 5 rounds of Tracer (selected below), mag will be 5/30 leaving 25 empty space. 
    • In my opinion, moving bottom slider up would decrease upper slider, as "pushing rounds off the mag".
  4. Graphical representation of rounds loaded into the mag. You will first shoot 25 HP rounds and then you have 5 Tracer rounds at the end of the mag

image.png.1143cf16f0c54caa7c56b83b6741b043.png

Thoughts?

Edited by Forien
  • Like 22
  • Thanks 1
  • Hot 9
  • Upvote 21

• 3 weeks later...
1 hour ago, zwt2135 said:

I would love to see this

Yeah, me too. Especially with this new damage system. I would love to mix 5.45 HP rounds with BS/BP/BT rounds (HP for damage, BS for taking down armor points). Doing it by hand is slow and irritating :( 

• Like 1

jepp mixing bs and hp would be great B|

waiting for this feature since the 2nd day after i started eft

another thing i was thinking about, can you time it, that an US bullet (shot first) and an normal faster one (shot second) hit at the same time, so some kind of improvised "abakan burst" :ph34r::ph34r::ph34r:

• 2 weeks later...

The UI is a little different, but pretty much the same system (set a pattern and repeat) was implemented in 7.62 High Calibre game (and I think it's predecessor, Brigade E5), but unfortunately I don't have a screen or video of it.

For those unaware, Brigade E5/7.62 High Calibre is a niche series of tactical RPG games, focused around gun play and small squad of mercenaries, a spiritual successor to Jagged Alliance 2. It's made by a small Russian studio (see the similarities :P?), so it's worth for inspiration.

The only other game that have a loading magazines with different ammo I'm aware of is a local browser MMORPG called Muarab. It's a fan made project that was recently resurrected and is quite buggy and constantly being worked on – I can show the screen later on, as it have some problems at the moment, but it's just a curiosity not really worth following as a good UI design :).

Also, it would be nice to clearly see what kind of ammunition is being loaded in a magazine/gun. Currently in EFT you can see the ammo type name in the bottom-left corner of the gun, but for some reason it doesn't represent the actual ammunition in chamber/on the top of magazine I think? Also, there's no such indication for magazines – the only way to see that is to unload the magazine completely – while realistic (especially on raid), it's a bit of pain to micromanage in hideout, especially with limited stash/inventory.

It would also be nice if the existing interface of attachments that was recently added to the mods themselves could be utilized somehow. There would still be a need for a mechanic to load ammo in patterns, especially if the belt-fed machine guns ever come (IIRC they were mentioned to be at least planned somewhere down the road, probably after the release), but it would be nice to utilize at least a part of the existing mechanic/UI :).

5 minutes ago, bT_BLooD said:

I would suggest an addition to this, which is to see the animation for inserting the bullets into the magazine, this would be unique and so awesome!

I strongly hope that animation will come, so there will be no more "single mag + 400 ammo in loose stacks" meta. I really would like that number of mags you take with yourself counts. 

I think they already said this will happen, but I'm not sure. 

But yes, both loading animation and ammo mixing are "must have" in my opinion ;) 

BTW guys, well done HAHA:
image.png.f4dd5b1512b5976ad013b629cd418794.png

Edited by Forien
  • Like 1

LOL to the poster . I do this now. I break the ammo down and put in one HP, one Armor and one Tracer into each mag. It takes a long time to setup a 60 round mag. Be cool to see something in game to make it easier to do.. 

3 hours ago, Forien said:

I strongly hope that animation will come, so there will be no more "single mag + 400 ammo in loose stacks" meta. I really would like that number of mags you take with yourself counts. 

I think they already said this will happen, but I'm not sure. 

But yes, both loading animation and ammo mixing are "must have" in my opinion ;) 

BTW guys, well done HAHA:
image.png.f4dd5b1512b5976ad013b629cd418794.png

100 % there needs to be some kind of animation for loading a mag. the fast Drag and drop into a mag. speeds up the game play for  sure.. 

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

I agree this would be awesome, so much I started my own thread about this yesterday without using the search function. going to put a link to this in mine as you have described it perfectly.

• Thanks 1

i believe devs said there will be something as "saved presets" for ammo in mags and guns mods. we just need to wait.

and yes! we do need this mechanics. its a real pain in the ass to get 1AP-1HP pattern with 3-5 tracers at the bottom for 60 round mags :bebad:

30 minutes ago, Reloecc said:

Just BTW from the UX perspective - there is no reason for "repeat until full" checkbox.

I'm not an UX designer, I'm sure there are people in BSG that can make this a whole lot better than I presented. I only wanted to show general idea and I hope it's gonna be adopted one way or another ;) 

17 minutes ago, Ruronin said:

i believe devs said there will be something as "saved presets" for ammo in mags and guns mods. we just need to wait.

and yes! we do need this mechanics. its a real pain in the ass to get 1AP-1HP pattern with 3-5 tracers at the bottom for 60 round mags :bebad:

Well, I couldn't find anything that would confirm devs opinions on it, but I do feel like this feature is essential.

56 минут назад, Forien сказал:

Well, I couldn't find anything that would confirm devs opinions on it, but I do feel like this feature is essential.

i think it was on some q&a video at some gameshow or stream...