Colonel Twerkins

Where do OCEANIC and ASIA connect?

Hello, Escapers!

It has come to our attention that there is some confusion as to the OC & ASIA server connection. We have heard numerous mentions of an IP in Germany being the "true" server for our testers in their respective countries. We would like to clear this up. 

This IP that is coming up, is actually the backend server! :) 

You will always be connected to the server with the best ping for you. For those who haven't seen the patch notes, or maybe you didn't understand, we have added a new "Traffic Optimization". This means, that a large amount of Network Data that was being used and causing ping and desync issues, is being optimized. 

We will continue working on this in future updates to create a quality experience for you all. 

Thank you so much for your support, patience, and dedication to our project. 

banner-for-noob-guide.png

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

Could we get a clarification on what features of the game are backend and what features are frontend?

For example, and without distinguishing server Vs client:

backend (profile + loot): loot allocation per server instance, profile handling and then subsequent transfer of loot form the server to your profile

frontend (combat): client positioning, ammunition penetration and ballistics, Scav AI handling

I ask this as I have been playing since the Alpha and seen notable improvements in 'combat' desync e.g. player and/or Scav AI positioning not skipping, acceptable hit registration on targets, etc. since the Australian servers were brought online. 

However I still see a lot of desync issues with what I assume (<- keyword) is handled in the backend.  For example, delays in loot transfer to inventory, extraction delays, inventory management bugs - both in and out of a session, animation locking into state where weapon is unusable following the opening of a door (bug reported this one but unsure if animation frontend vs backend), etc.

If this is correct, would it fair to assume that a lot of issues we still face (in Australia) are that whilst are hit registration and character positioning are accurate due to a local/close proximity server for the frontend (combat), we will still encounter lots of issues with inventory management and extraction due to a distant server for the backend (loot + profile/stash) in Europe?

A lot of assumptions in the above questions.  Happy to be educated by the devs (not players).  Also happy to accept the usual Alpha/Beta/Development disclaimers.  Also accept that my observations are mine alone, vary from client-to-client, ISP, session, and anecdotal at best. 

My questions are primarily from a perspective of trying to gauge the improvements from patch-to-patch in terms of where we can reasonable expect to see an improvement, because I have noticed a significant improvement in combat desync but not so much other aspects of the game e.g. looting, which are also important.

Thanks!

Edited by madrabbit

I am not always being connected to the server that gives me the best ping. Playing from Thailand on the Asia servers, 80-90% of my matches show me as connected to the South Korean servers (92.223.73.247). The ping is certainly noticeable, but for the remaining 10-20% of my matches, I'm being connected to Hong Kong servers (103.66.180.130), where it was stated that the Asia servers would be, and where the connection is near perfect for me due to it being closer to my location. This switching between these 2 countries' servers happens in the same session.

I hope this information can somehow be put to use to correctly connect us to the most appropriate server.

On 24/10/2017 at 8:08 PM, Colonel Twerkins said:

Hello, Escapers!

It has come to our attention that there is some confusion as to the OC & ASIA server connection. We have heard numerous mentions of an IP in Germany being the "true" server for our testers in their respective countries. We would like to clear this up. 

You will always be connected to the server with the best ping for you. For those who haven't seen the patch notes, or maybe you didn't understand, we have added a new "Traffic Optimization". This means, that a large amount of Network Data that was being used and causing ping and desync issues, is being optimized. 

We will continue working on this in future updates to create a quality experience for you all. 

this can't be correct at all 

when im with my friend who is also aussie when we get the server thats located in whoop whoop my mate gets a ping spike of 400 on ts and there more noticeble lag and what not 

but when we connect to the servers that say 139 sydney servers we are perfectly fine and no lag what so ever 

so i think you need to look into this more it can't be right other wise we would get the same performance on the 92 (lumbourg server) same as Sydney 139 server 

it doesn't make sense at all 

Edited by Exeagle

Yes every time i connect to this "backend" server i get massive lag. Players are teleporting everywhere and most shots are not registering or missing due to them not really being there.

We would appreciate info on what this backend server that is hosted out of Luxembourg actually does.

On 10/24/2017 at 12:11 PM, THALL said:

Hopefully we'll see a ping counter, and network icons for detecting desync in the future also.

Best would be if they actually spent some time to actually fix the desync problem.

Lost count of how many months its been an issue now, doesnt really seem to be a prioritized problem....
But hey lets add 70 more items instead *thumbs up*

Since the 4.0 patch, my load times in customs improved dramatically. I can always join any game now. However, in shoreline and woods, particularly shoreline, it stays MATCHING forever. 3, 5, 8, 12 minutes . . . I now quit after 4 minutes. This is joining with a full lobby of players waiting to get in, so it certainly can't be that it can't find other players to match me up with. Why am I not matching?

My game was recognised under the "other" region, and I'm in Australia.

Thanks.

My game is indicating it's USA region. Interesting that yours is saying "other".

Wonder if this could have something to do with the issues. i.e. have some AU's ended up in the wrong region??

Dunno, just spit balling as the game is quite unplayable at the moment

My server always just states USA even thought I purchased from Australia?

Do I have to pay for the EU version to play on this elusive AUS server?

Edited by delushin

I'm from SEA and if I play with a friend that's from the USA, what server do we connect to? 
The one suitable for the both of us? Just curious since we haven't bought the game yet 

Edited by HyperSleeper

The newest hotfix that came out today fixed Factory matchmaking for at least 2 hours and now people are still getting 10Mins+ matching times, did something go wrong? 

On 11/23/2017 at 3:19 AM, HyperSleeper said:

I'm from SEA and if I play with a friend that's from the USA, what server do we connect to? 
The one suitable for the both of us? Just curious since we haven't bought the game yet 

You will all be in the same lobby... When you start a game, the server you will go to is based on the group Leaders IP address

Edited by k0zmik

I seem to be having no problems after the network lag fixes, but it still remains that i have no true idea what my ping is ingame, although it does seem to not be very high due to the response times. I live in west Australia btw.

On 24/10/2017 at 9:08 PM, Colonel Twerkins said:

Hello, Escapers!

That is a great suggestion and i hope they add it

hello, i'm from SEA country and i am also having issue with this backend server. it connects me to france server instead of Asia ( S.korea / HK ). and playing hardcore FPS game is really impossible on 350ms ping. 

On 1/6/2018 at 11:03 PM, BlueMonkE said:

I'm in Japan and connecting to the US. Why is this?

I too am connecting to the US every single match from Japan. I doubt that the US servers give me a better connection than the South Korean servers. Playing this game at +250 ms is absolute garbage. Silent enemy footsteps, getting killed even though I've retreated behind cover (around corners), silent gunshots, silent grenades. Very discouraging. 

Edited by Mesouraneo

50 minutes ago, Mesouraneo said:

I too am connecting to the US every single match from Japan. I doubt that the US servers give me a better connection than the South Korean servers. Playing this game at +250 ms is absolute garbage. Silent enemy footsteps, getting killed even though I've retreated behind cover (around corners), silent gunshots, silent grenades. Very discouraging. 

Any word on this? Any way to change which server we connect to manually?

My australian friends can also confirm that they connect to US servers, Not Oceanic servers when they play EFT. The post doesnt actually answer the question at all. It just says that its not germany - and that is the backend server, perfectly acceptable explination except it does not answer the titled post. 

In my experience, Oceanic players connect to the US. You can confirm this on your end and see for yourself - you won't be connected in AU. 

Further more - you know how we've all been waiting ages in matching in the evenings? Try to queue up with an AU friend. Instant boots on the ground. Very odd. I dont say this to complain, or call anyone out (its quite simple to see where you are connected to with your own PC if you can basically read, so its not a secret at all) but maybe pointing this out may help clear up some sort of problems. 

Edited by Unbeliever1284

On 1/11/2018 at 3:02 AM, BlueMonkE said:

Any word on this? Any way to change which server we connect to manually?

Curious to know about this as well - I'm oceanic and connecting to US.

On 24/10/2017 at 6:08 PM, Colonel Twerkins said:

You will always be connected to the server with the best ping for you.

This is blatantly false.

All you Oceanic players I want let you know there is an unofficial oceanic discord with 300+ members and regular pick-up groups forming each and every day. Good place to come and find other Aussies, New Zealanders and Singaporeans to play with at all hours of the day. Join @ https://discord.gg/EQ4WqWM and come say hi.

This is not a clan discord this is just a place for OCE EFT players to find each other.