Klaus_Quarter

Suggestion About Game Design

Klaus_Quarter

In its actual game design the game really punish death (you lost almost everything). If you are not in a good day you can die and loose many gears in a row.

For the survival games enthusiast it's mostly likely a good design, but it's really harsh for most of the players base. So to compensated the devs made the insurence system and adjusted the loot table and the economy in matter of weapons.

For me it's not even enought. Right now because they established a commercial strategy with influencers, they sale a good amount of copies.

But I think many buyers who bought the game, tried it and found out they don't like it in its actual state because of various reasons like bugs or netcode issues in general, but for the most part because the game isn't user friendly at all, with a harsh learning curve, overwhelming with many things to understand in many departements which are not obvious or explaned. For example too many type of ammo which are not really relevant. For me HP, FMJ and subsonic ammunition for each type of calibers is all what the game need. Maybe tracers and thats all.

I think when the devs made the preproduction for this game, the survival games were trendy, many of them where very popular. Then the trend goes down. There are many reasons for that: most of them were and are still trashy in technical matter, most are based on a kill on sight meta (no reputation system or game design to compensated malicious behaviors), and finally they have a short boring game loop which is not satifaying.

The survival game trend is replaced by the battle royal trend for a simple reason: it's a refinement of the survival games, they tried to compensate the flaws in the game design to make this more interesting in the long term. The game loop is more rewarding.

For example PUBG is such great succes in commercial term because of those simple things:

- Quick game and quick action.

- The dead is not apprehended because dying is not punitive.

- The tension, the adrenaline rush is induced by design: the player is permanently unsafe, not because he is affraid to loose his gears.

EFT bear a original sin in my opinion: the lack of compensation for a really punitive death. It induce a major flaw in term of game design: the newbies are not helped against the vets who have a easier life because they have access to better medical items, armors and weapons.

In this type of game of course vets with better gears have to crush noobs most of the time, they have better gears and all. Having a better life spans is part of the game and it's a rewarding progression system. So nothing bad with that but to make it good for newbies I think the devs need to establish a design to compensated the punitive death no matter what happen. Even if they die a lot, they can reach the vets stage by playing the game.

That's why I have proposed the trader's fidelity discount system: Fidelity discount

Right now to be good and fill his stash a player need to grind a lot, and i mean a lot. Actually the meta is the hatchling run on the Factory map, to loot green crate. The farming is to important right now. You do hatchling run on factory and sale expensive items to traders, to buy them again and so on to level up their inventories, that loop is silly....

And when you reach the level max of all traders, you do time to time the same hatchling run to gain quick money and weapons. Then build custom M4s or AKs to go in a other raid fully geared. It's a boring game loop for me. Some like it but I personnally think it's boring.

Edited by Klaus_Quarter

Deadmode
12 minutes ago, Klaus_Quarter said:

But I think many buyers who bought the game, tried it and found out they don't like it in its actual state because of various reasons like bugs or netcode issues in general, but for the most part because the game isn't user friendly at all, with a harsh learning curve, overwhelming with many things to understand in many departements which are not obvious or explaned. For example too many type of ammo which are not really relevant. For me HP, FMJ and subsonic ammunition for each type of calibers is all what the game need. Maybe tracers and thats all.

I totally agree that the server and network issues are prevalent in the game's current state, but it won't be like this forever. Your other concerns in this post are most likely because you bought into a game that is actually not for you. This isn't trying to rival PUBG, Battlefield, COD or any other popular shooters out there. This game is a simulation. The game design is totally different and relies of different things to generate a satisfying experience for players.
So, whilst you don't see a need for multiple ammo types, weapon mods, items and such, they are intrinsic to the experience and players wanting an accurate simulation would expect these things. The homepage for the game CLEARLY states what type of experience you will find in Escape From Tarkov - see the attached image.

I also agree that there is a steep learning curve to this game. Whilst this is also synonymous with simulations, there are certainly more steps that can be taken to make it a little easier for newcomers to find their feet. I do not think that this needs to be in the form of any game changes or mechanics, but rather from a comprehensive set of guides, community support and things like the Sherpa program. Hopefully this side of things will get better as the game and its community grows.

Also, you bought the game to be part of the Beta testing, so technically you're testing the game, its features and content, reporting on bugs to help the developers build their game. You are definitely not seeing the final, fleshed-out experience, which will have much more in place to help those new to EFT.

eft.jpg

ivantherussian

I like the the game is hard, the game wont change because you for the moment are not the best player out there, the fact that the game has some sorts of natural selection per say, separating the good players from the bad players and the best players from the good players.

I dont want this game to be more casual or to become a PUBG kinda game, it seems like everyone that complains about the game being to hard only want a PUBG style of gamemode, nah brah, go play PUBG is you want that, they want the game to be easy all the time, what makes EFT a different type of game wich makes it stand out from other shooters is ofcourse the weapons (animations, feeling, ballistics etc) and the fact its hard and punishing wich is something i love. 

Please there is a ton of topics like this one, dont make more, the game is not going to change because you are not performing as well as other players, the only thing i can imagine that will satisfy your needs is the arena mode. 

I respect your opinion but i dont share it @Klaus_Quarter.

@Deadmode i agree 200% with what you said.

People should do some research before buying a game so they dont complain later on the game isnt what they want or believed...

Gr8WhiteBuffalo

Just gotta say Im with you on the ammo... only addition needs to be Armor Piercing, I dont even use tracers. I like that we have different mags, like brown and black for AKs, PMag and Stanag for M4's. It allows me to know what ammo is in the mag. Stanags and brown AK mags for AP rounds, PMags and Black AK mags for FMJ's. I literally dont use any other ammo, and for pistols its Pst or FMJ.

I agree the game could be more user friendly to newbies, I know I struggled for the first couple of weeks. But I think that will be addressed more as the game moves along its path of progression.

I think a possibility would be a "normal" mode, and a "hardcore" mode, like many other games.

Normal mode, would be half xp, but all items are insured for free, so if nobody makes it out with it you get your gear back. Hardcore would be what we have now. 

One thing I can say for certain, is that its not too hard to level yourself and the traders in the early stages. The first 10-15 level dont require all that too much xp, and at level 1-5, one good headshot on a lvl 25+ will skyrocket you through many levels. All it really takes is time, and a good bit of patience. I can honestly say that, while Ive been killed by "Superman" flying in the sky, bots one-shotting through walls half a klick away, and tons of spawn/exit camp deaths; I have lost easily more than half of my gear to my own impatience. Just the name of the game. Thats what water bottles and candy bars are for. :D Makes me feel like John Clark(Tom Clancy novels). :uhappy: Call me Snake. :uninja:

• Sad 1

Klaus_Quarter

Thank you guys for your responses about that. I completly understand your opinions. You like the game like it is but I don't won't the devs make it like PUBG or any other game, I just suggest to add a mechanic to make death less punitive and promote the use of high end gears because the more you buy them the less they cost.

Don't get me wrong I really like the game as it is already but I think there is room for improvements. I totally understand that EFT is a niche game, I have no problem with that, I just actually think it could be more welcoming to players less invested. The more they sale copies the more they can maintain the server. That's also a dilemma: the game is on a niche market but multiplayer games that need rented servers have to be attractive to a larger audience. That's a economic reality.

Anyway thank you for sharing your opinion.