Another melee weapon

1 minute ago, Jafar said:

SUPER ! I ll try to find this trailer :D thx man +1 rep

It happens quick but here - Mid animation really: 

Spoiler

1 minute ago, Drakkaar said:

It happens quick but here - Mid animation really: 

Hide contents

Yes we can see it at 3.45min. This feature is very cool because u can do some "ninja kills". thanks for this vid :D

3 hours ago, Patfast said:

Apologies for the necro but...what the hell is THAT? "Put your weapons in our bin"? Like we're not allowed to carry a switchblade for protection??? I really hope this in like Kenya or something because that's the only way it'd make sense...

thats super ducking racist imo but hey merica right. Are u afraid that you are in a normal place? Tts not kenya btw, probably some european country.

When are you going to canada?

Edited by ivantherussian

On 7/7/2016 at 4:22 PM, TarkovEscaper said:

Wild_knife.jpg

i wonder what level of detail will be implemented in melee combat, hope its not just mash "F" to stab and that's it. if you are attempting a stealth attach from behind... i hope you will be able to choose where to attack like the space between the shoulder and collar bone, or between the fourth and fifth rib from behind, or at the base of the back where the kidneys are. and what if the target is wearing body armor will the UI narrow your attack options automatically or can you try and hit armor giving the target time to react? and will there be animations to allow parry and grappling extending a knife fight at least two to three moves of attack and parry or block or if the defender gets lucky to disarm and turn the tide, and how will very close quarter combat affect this, ie drawing your sidearm at distances shorter than arms reach?:|

extreme-close-quarters-battle-ecqb.jpg

Edited by Mouchizz
found better word to express my utter excitement XD

On 7/25/2016 at 1:49 AM, Patfast said:

Apologies for the necro but...what the hell is THAT? "Put your weapons in our bin"? Like we're not allowed to carry a switchblade for protection??? I really hope this in like Kenya or something because that's the only way it'd make sense...

you'd better leave my Country out of this...imma remember your name ingame...>:(

Только что, Mouchizz сказал:

i wonder what level of detail will be implemented in melee combat, hope its not just mash "F" to stab and that's it.

It is defenetly not going to be like in fighter game, but there will be couple ways to hit an enemy and the "sneak kill". Will it be more than that? I can't answer this question, we will see if it will be a good idea or more of an issue to implement and noone will use it

• Upvote 1

3 hours ago, TarkovEscaper said:

It is defenetly not going to be like in fighter game, but there will be couple ways to hit an enemy and the "sneak kill". Will it be more than that? I can't answer this question, we will see if it will be a good idea or more of an issue to implement and noone will use it

But my lord you have showed this already.. Dont remove it now!

3 hours ago, TarkovEscaper said:

yea i can see that logic, if its too complex then people will not use it, but i mean in the sense that crouching and sprinting to walking is transitioned over a wide spectrum of speed and stances by incorporating the mouse wheel so melee combat should be involving yes but not to require too many standalone actions instead a seamless flow of chained interactions...getting what im saying? 

2 hours ago, Mouchizz said:

yea i can see that logic, if its too complex then people will not use it, but i mean in the sense that crouching and sprinting to walking is transitioned over a wide spectrum of speed and stances by incorporating the mouse wheel so melee combat should be involving yes but not to require too many standalone actions instead a seamless flow of chained interactions...getting what im saying? 

Those features, though, are very easy to procedurally generate. For stance height, create a start position, a stop position, and tweak a few transition points throughout the spectrum of movement and you have all the options you need. For movement speed, just speed up the animation and add some more torso sway.

You're asking for a series of techniques that would all require separate animations that were then keyed to be able to procedurally adapt to striking certain areas on a target that isn't always perfectly aligned. Or you can just get CoD-style "swing knife in air" instead.

Separately, in my opinion, this whole knife/tomahawk melee kill idea is terrible. They are tools, not weapons. It's incredibly hard to kill somebody cleanly/stealthily with one. The last time knife-like objects were used as primary weapons of war was the rondel in the Middle Ages, and those were about 16-18" long (50cm) and used for stabbing. After that, there was some limited use in the trenches of WWI with the Fairbairn-Sykes, which was about 7" long with a double-edged blade and a significantly tapered point, also used for stabbing.

These knives, not so much. If you spot a guy at the end of a hallway, shoot him. Knife kills only exist in games for humiliation, not because they make sense.

Edited by Starlight

1 hour ago, Starlight said:

Those features, though, are very easy to procedurally generate. For stance height, create a start position, a stop position, and tweak a few transition points throughout the spectrum of movement and you have all the options you need. For movement speed, just speed up the animation and add some more torso sway.

You're asking for a series of techniques that would all require separate animations that were then keyed to be able to procedurally adapt to striking certain areas on a target that isn't always perfectly aligned. Or you can just get CoD-style "swing knife in air" instead.

Separately, in my opinion, this whole knife/tomahawk melee kill idea is terrible. They are tools, not weapons. It's incredibly hard to kill somebody cleanly/stealthily with one. The last time knife-like objects were used as primary weapons of war was the rondel in the Middle Ages, and those were about 16-18" long (50cm) and used for stabbing. After that, there was some limited use in the trenches of WWI with the Fairbairn-Sykes, which was about 7" long with a double-edged blade and a significantly tapered point, also used for stabbing.

These knives, not so much. If you spot a guy at the end of a hallway, shoot him. Knife kills only exist in games for humiliation, not because they make sense.

ok what if i don't have a suppressor yet and i don't necessarily feel the need to alert everyone in a 16 mile radius (the whole fre@king map) wouldn't  it make sense if i could sneak up behind someone, cover his mouth and stab his neck several times instead of firing a cannon at him...raids scare me already.

2 minutes ago, Mouchizz said:

ok what if i don't have a suppressor yet and i don't necessarily feel the need to alert everyone in a 16 mile radius (the whole fre@king map) wouldn't  it make sense if i could sneak up behind someone, cover his mouth and stab his neck several times instead of firing a cannon at him...raids scare me already.

I think you're getting hung up on kill counting. Just go around him. The objective is escape, not murder everyone on the map. This isn't TDM.

If you absolutely cannot avoid him, that's what teammates are for. Either set a perimeter and deal with the incoming response, or GTFO. EFT is not supposed to have easy solutions, based on the rest of what we've seen.

Just now, Starlight said:

I think you're getting hung up on kill counting. Just go around him. The objective is escape, not murder everyone on the map. This isn't TDM.

If you absolutely cannot avoid him, that's what teammates are for. Either set a perimeter and deal with the incoming response, or GTFO. EFT is not supposed to have easy solutions, based on the rest of what we've seen.

Agreed.. Every situation should be stressful for various reasons but knifing should not be removed imo.. I dont want it to be broken like in the BF Series but having those player vs player interactions are gold to be honest..

Not sure if it will fall in a melee weapon category but a ballistics knife would be amazing. You just can't have a game set in Russia without coming across one at some point. I think you should be able to craft it out of a rifle spring, maybe a rifle grip etc.

Ballistic_knife-01.jpg

• Like 1
  • Upvote 1

I don't think anyone would take a Ballistic knife fire anything other than humiliation. They aren't the most practical weapons since they're slow, heavy and inaccurate.

On 7/9/2016 at 6:23 PM, SUPER-MAN said:

Yeah u are right.. :) Do u know if there ll be furtive kill ? I mean if u get on a player back its instant kill or something similar ?

From watching some of the trailers for the game, there were melee instant kill animations, so I am sure there are plans to implement them in the final game.

• Upvote 1