Natalino

Servers and misinformations regarding servers

Natalino

Hello everyone,

I wanted to make some clarifications regarding servers that I see lots of you have a misleading information in my opinion.  I might be mistaken on this though but I have been around here reading a lot and this is what I have understood.  I would like to be corrected by @TarkovEscaper if any of the following point is not correct.

Many people here seem to think that since you purchased the game in specific region, that you can only play with people in that region only.  But I do not see anywhere that this has been mentioned unless the developers decided to do it (But there is no info that said like this so far).  What has been said is not who you can play with BUT where you can launch the game and where you cannot launch/run the game because of where you get the game.

Info on region locks can be found HERE from my older post.

Spoiler

Region Locks

Region lock means that you can only launch the game from the region you make the purchase. In Escape from Tarkov, we have 3 Regions:   (You can get what region you are in by scrolling all the way down on the pre-order page). 

1, CIS countries (RU and post soviet states or Ex- USSR states) => Purchases made in this region works only in CIS region.

2. EU Region (Europe) => Purchases in this region will allow you to launch the game anywhere in the world and the Dev's are thinking on giving you option to upgrade any of the versions you have to EU version later on, for people who travel a lot.

3. Other regions: Ok so here is the main deal here, When you check on your region you will see your region is Other (US, ET, AUS, etc.) There will be an abbreviation in brackets next to ''other'' and this is for clarification purpose only and you just need to consider that you are in the region, ''OTHER''. => Purchases made in regions out side of EU, CIS countries; all goes to this region and this version of game can be launched anywhere in the world except in Europe.

N.B :- Prices are different for every region!

But again this does not mean I cannot play with people who bought the game in Russia or Europer even though my region lock is ''OTHER''.  It is true that if I go to RU or EU I wont be able to run the game because of region lock though.  But keep in mind that only thing that keeps you away from playing with someone from other region is ping and not being locked out or anything like that.

I have seen some people getting confused on this matter on the Russian side of forum as well so I wanted to clarify using the understanding of the topic I have.  If I am wrong or if there is any new info regarding this then I would love to be corrected.  I know there is no servers hosted in this game which you can choose from but I mean servers by the matchmaking or being able to play on the same session.  And I know it wont be possible to do on the first day of Alpha but later on so we might be stuck playing with only those closer to our region.  

Hopefully this will help some people and maybe even myself if there is new info. Thanks for reading and have a great Alpha for those who got the chance into it.

• Upvote 1

CloneWarrior85

If you cannot launch the game on another region then you obviously cannot play with players from other regions, so if you buy on "Other", you cannot play with EU players or Russian players.

Exception is the EU which allows to play on all 3 regions.

Natalino
6 minutes ago, CloneWarrior85 said:

If you cannot launch the game on another region then you obviously cannot play with players from other regions, so if you buy on "Other", you cannot play with EU players or Russian players.

Can you show me where you got that? This is what I mean by misinformation.  Not being able to launch the game does not necessarily mean you cannot play with other region players.  The main reason for the region lock is because of the tax difference in those regions in general and not regarding ingame playablity with the other region.  Do you get what I mean?

Edited by Natalino

Stuck
7 minutes ago, CloneWarrior85 said:

Incorrect. Like @Natalino said, all region lock does is lock where the game can be activated / launched from and usually what language the copy of the game is in. Take the Arma games for example.

If my knowledge is wrong though please correct me @TarkovEscaper

Edited by Stuck
Addition

CloneWarrior85

Ups, dunno what happened on this, clicked to make an edit and made a reply ._.

Anyway, no, you can't compare this to Arma, you can compare it to like heck, World of Warcraft (argh x.x), you can purchase your game on NA, but you can't login on EU, and vice-versa.

EDIT 2: ok, i really dunno what's going on here, i see 2 of my replies but the same? wtf

Edited by CloneWarrior85

Natalino
Just now, CloneWarrior85 said:

@Natalino

From your own quote (which was taken from the FAQ):

Region lock means that you can only launch the game from the region you make the purchase

So, if you bought it on NA, then you can only play on NA (and all other countries connected to NA, so the rest of Americas, Asia and Africa).

You won't be able to login on the EU/Russian servers. Only exception is the EU players that will be allowed to play on any server, but i'm guessing the game progress won't transfer between regions.

Again you got misinformed by that.  Let me break it down. If I buy the game in OTHER region and go to Russia for work or somoething, then the game will not run at all because I am not in the region where I purchased the game.  But if I am back home in the ''OTHER'' Region, then I will be able to run the game and play with anyone in the world.

Its like other games on steam where people use VPN to buy games cheaper in other regions and play them with a VPN from that region but with anyone in the world. Many buy games on steam from India or Russia through VPN since they are cheap but they need to turn on the VPN when they play those games since they can only run the game from that region (with a bad ping though) BUT they can play with anyone that has the game from anywhere in the world.  This is illegal and steam will ban you for it and I am not saying do this but this is for informational purpose to explain better.

Do you understand me now?

6 minutes ago, Stuck said:

Incorrect. Like @Natalino said, all region lock does is lock where the game can be activated / launched from and usually what language the copy of the game is in. Take the Arma games for example.

If my knowledge is wrong though please correct me @TarkovEscaper

Yes, that is what I mean. And maybe the devs have planned it already like this but so far there is no info given on this because region locks does not mean anything regarding who you can play with.  So that is the point I want to make here.  Thanks for getting the idea.

Ne0x

Seriously.. why such noob?

What does region mean for my preorder? Do you have region lock?

Regions mean the region of countries, where you can launch the game.
Regions doesn't affect your game server choiсe. Game will find the most suitable server for you.

Regions which we use:
CIS - game can be launched in CIS countries
"Other" - game can be launched anywhere, except Europe
Europe - game can be launched anywhere

Source: http://www.escapefromtarkov.com/faq

Natalino
3 minutes ago, Ne0x said:

Seriously.. why such noob?

Regions doesn't affect your game server choiсe. Game will find the most suitable server for you.

Regions which we use:

Yep, thats what I am trying to explain.  I saw lots of people getting confused about it so I figured to make some clarification.

Cheaptrix
14 minutes ago, Ne0x said:

So I am assuming this means I can play with my friends from EU still. :)

Smok3
12 minutes ago, Cheaptrix said:

yes :)

nielskedb
12 minutes ago, Cheaptrix said:

Correct!

Cheaptrix
2 minutes ago, Smok3 said:

yes :)

1 minute ago, nielskedb said:

Correct!

:) <3

skin

I play with Europeans and Russians now on Arma 3 and a bunch of us will be playing EfT.  I seriously DOUBT that we will not be able to play together just because we live in a different geographic location.  My only concern is latency to be honest.

Natalino
1 minute ago, skin said:

I play with Europeans and Russians now on Arma 3 and a bunch of us will be playing EfT.  I seriously DOUBT that we will not be able to play together just because we live in a different geographic location.  My only concern is latency to be honest.

yep. Thats the only thing that will be bad but you can play together unless the devs say otherwise but I do not see no reason for them to do that.

skin

I usually don't have any issues with latency myself and over the years I have found more "hard core" first person only players over the pond.  Not sure why that is but it has allowed me to meet and befriend quite a few folks from over there!

CloneWarrior85

You guys keep forgetting that this isn't Arma, where you rent a server, this is like World of Tanks, where the devs have the servers per region and lock each region for whatever reason, usually due to law demands per country.

But whatever suits each of you, once the game is out of beta or the devs fully release a statement about it, we'll know for sure.

Edited by CloneWarrior85

SUPER-MAN
2 hours ago, CloneWarrior85 said:

IMMA EU from FRANCE :)

Natalino
1 hour ago, Natalino said:

Regions which we use:

@CloneWarrior85 This is more than enough to get an answer regarding this subject.  Which is from the FAQ!

But like you said, we will just wait and see. There is no explanation more than this and ARMA is an example and no one said about the servers are similar but we said the region lock is similar. Region lock has nothing to do with servers.  This is as much as I can explain and I think most got the point so no need for more info on this.

CloneWarrior85

This isn't Arma where you'll have servers, you can only choose Missions, which will redirect you to the missions server, and Freeroam, which will redirect you to the Freeroam server.

Natalino
4 hours ago, Natalino said:

I know there is no servers hosted in this game which you can choose from but I mean servers by the matchmaking or being able to play on the same session.  And I know it wont be possible to do on the first day of Alpha but later on so we might be stuck playing with only those closer to our region.  

19 minutes ago, CloneWarrior85 said:

This isn't Arma where you'll have servers, you can only choose Missions, which will redirect you to the missions server, and Freeroam, which will redirect you to the Freeroam server.

Lol, I already stated that over there.  Why are you turning this post to an argument when it is informational purpose.  Can you just read and if you do not have any idea to forward except this one, just move on?  Thank you!