Jump to content
Tactical_Tracke

Model Body Armor Correctly

Recommended Posts

Tactical_Tracke

Righto, I'm going to try and keep this as short and sweet as possible while still getting the point across. 

In short, The current Body Armor system is not only entirely inaccurate, But drives up the requirement for Armor-Piercing rounds in order to combat them. While the Durability of the Item is important, It is also important to note that various sorts of firearms will completely ruin several types of body armor. 

Elaboration:

Currently you have two types of Body Armor that are commonly used. Soft, and Hard Body Armor.

Soft body Armor, In game would be akin to 3M and PACA. Soft body Armor is only typically resistant to Pistol caliber rounds, and Buckshot (although shot will completely trash the vest) 

 

Hard Body Armor, As the name suggests, uses hard plates, either Steel (AR500 is most common) Or Cermanic plates to stop Rifle caliber rounds in addition to pistol caliber rounds. (reference chart below for specifics).

 

To summarize, A Rifle caliber round will punch clean through Soft body armor with little to no resistance and would provide zero meaningful protection, Same with shotgun slugs. Pistol caliber rounds would effectively be largely incapable of penetrating the plates and in most modern body armors (IOTV and 6B45) Are a combination of soft and hard body armor. Plates covering torso, back and small portions of the sides. And Soft armor covering the majority of the area (most often rated to stop 9mm and shrapnel). 

 

Implementation:

 

With Soft Body Armor, simply remove it's ability to stop rifle caliber rounds and shotgun slugs, while still retaining the ability to stop pistol caliber rounds of most types. 

Hard Body Armor, Add 'pocket slots' to the current FORT armor in game, and potentially add 'Plate Carriers' and other type of hard armor apparatuses in game. In short, You'd have the Vest which would have it's own 'item durability', then the plate that would have it's own item durability. Obviously rifle caliber rounds would have increased changes to shatter the plate (cermanic) or penetrate (steel) based on what ever individual aspects of the round.

Make the Vests more common like Chest Rigs, but restrict the Plates themselves to higher level traders. Make it so that the Plates can NOT be repaired and must be purchased new. 

 

This is a very early idea, so i'm well open to ideas and suggestions.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

https://www.safeguardarmor.com/support/body-armor-protection-levels/

  • Upvote 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
captinjoehenry

That seems like a nice idea.  The only issue I have with it is the fact that right now the only hard armor out there is the fort which you either need to loot or get to trader level 4 and the vast majority of the opponents you will face will have rifles sort of making soft armor worthless except against the occasional sad scav with just a pistol.  

So basicly I would support this idea if players could get hard armor before reaching end game and if you manage to loot hard armor you should always be able to repair it / replace the plates maybe with lower quality plates as otherwise finding high level armor would be fairly useless as you wouldn't be able to use it if you killed them through it.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tactical_Tracke
1 minute ago, captinjoehenry said:

That seems like a nice idea.  The only issue I have with it is the fact that right now the only hard armor out there is the fort which you either need to loot or get to trader level 4 and the vast majority of the opponents you will face will have rifles sort of making soft armor worthless except against the occasional sad scav with just a pistol.  

So basicly I would support this idea if players could get hard armor before reaching end game and if you manage to loot hard armor you should always be able to repair it / replace the plates maybe with lower quality plates as otherwise finding high level armor would be fairly useless as you wouldn't be able to use it if you killed them through it.

 

Ideally, There would be a dramatic increase in the availability of Plate Carriers (Be it full IOTV style vests, or ones without Kevlar liner). However where you'd start to see more regulation so to speak is on the Plates themselves.  Obviously there would be different level's of plates. 

level III Being the most common and usable by people and relatively mid priced to acquire. 

And level IV being the most expensive and rare (similar to today's FORT)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
captinjoehenry
2 minutes ago, Tactical_Fister said:

 

Ideally, There would be a dramatic increase in the availability of Plate Carriers (Be it full IOTV style vests, or ones without Kevlar liner). However where you'd start to see more regulation so to speak is on the Plates themselves.  Obviously there would be different level's of plates. 

level III Being the most common and usable by people and relatively mid priced to acquire. 

And level IV being the most expensive and rare (similar to today's FORT)

Hmm well in that case I am definitely all for this idea.  There just needs to be low enough level hard armor as soft armor would be almost worthless considering how rifles are the main weapon of everyone.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tactical_Tracke
2 minutes ago, captinjoehenry said:

Hmm well in that case I am definitely all for this idea.  There just needs to be low enough level hard armor as soft armor would be almost worthless considering how rifles are the main weapon of everyone.

And so comes the trade off. 

The Armor level's are something you negotiate with. There's no such thing as Level IIIA 'hard' armor. Any armor designed to prevent rifle caliber rounds is a hard plate. Everything soft is designed for Pistol caliber rounds (or similar). It would emphasizes tactical game play as opposed to a guy in Fort/Kiver storming a room and mercing everyone inside.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davoodoo

Thing is that 7.62 goes right through paca, 5.45 gets stopped only occasionally and so does 5.56.

But if you want to nerf paca then we should have class 3 and 4 armor readily available at traders first.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tactical_Tracke
1 minute ago, Davoodoo said:

Thing is that 7.62 goes right through paca, 5.45 gets stopped only occasionally and so does 5.56.

But if you want to nerf paca then we should have class 3 and 4 armor readily available at traders first.

Any rifle caliber round will go clean through PACA (Level IIIA). 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davoodoo
2 minutes ago, Tactical_Fister said:

Any rifle caliber round will go clean through PACA (Level IIIA). 

Except hp and even rifle bullets arent guaranteed to completely penetrate which is how it works in game...

Edited by Davoodoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tactical_Tracke
1 minute ago, Davoodoo said:

Except hp which is how it works in game...

Please refer to the OP in how the entire durability system for Body Armor would be scrapped.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cptfavela2

i mean soft armor already does little to nothing against rifle calibers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tactical_Tracke
Just now, cptfavela2 said:

i mean soft armor already does little to nothing against rifle calibers

It makes a difference between taking an extra few shots and not. Reason it's not as effective is because everyone is using AP rounds. Against conventional rounds it's surprisingly resilient. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cptfavela2
Just now, Tactical_Fister said:

It makes a difference between taking an extra few shots and not. Reason it's not as effective is because everyone is using AP rounds. Against conventional rounds it's surprisingly resilient. 

lets wait until we have lvl 3,4 and 5 armor

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tactical_Tracke
Just now, cptfavela2 said:

lets wait until we have lvl 3,4 and 5 armor

Level five armor isn't a thing. And with these proposed changes. three and four would work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
cptfavela2
Just now, Tactical_Fister said:

Level five armor isn't a thing. And with these proposed changes. three and four would work.

i mean lvl 5 on the game rating

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tactical_Tracke
2 minutes ago, cptfavela2 said:

i mean lvl 5 on the game rating

This game is based in some element of realism. The weapons are real, the attachments are real. As are many other things. You can't just make stuff up to meet your fancy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davoodoo
5 hours ago, Tactical_Fister said:

This game is based in some element of realism. The weapons are real, the attachments are real. As are many other things. You can't just make stuff up to meet your fancy.

Theres class 6 body armor in game which funnily enough is only level IIIa so logic follows there is class 5 4 and 3 armors which are between that and paca which is roughly IIA.

Edited by Davoodoo

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Tactical_Tracke

 

4 hours ago, Davoodoo said:

Theres class 6 body armor in game which funnily enough is only level IIIa so logic follows there is class 5 4 and 3 armors which are between that and paca which is roughly IIA.

In game it's represented with the Russian system of body armor protection. I was referring to the Western system. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Davoodoo
3 minutes ago, Tactical_Fister said:

 

In game it's represented with the Russian system of body armor protection. I was referring to the Western system. 

 

9 hours ago, cptfavela2 said:

i mean lvl 5 on the game rating

...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Restore formatting

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...
b38e7c858218a416ef714554dce933a2