Tactical_Tracke

Correcting PVS-14's and other night vision devices

Tactical_Tracke

Going to keep this short and sweet. 

As the current implementation of Night Vision goggles stand (PVS-14) It creates a decisive advantage (as it should)  On night raids and combat.There however are a few glaring issues. 

1) You can not 'Aim Down Sight' while wearing PVS-14s. Currently the US Army, among other nations  issue a PEQ-15 laser, which can produce a laser in both visible and IR spectrum. Real world, When operating at night, the PEQ-15 is used to 'aim' the weapon with a pressure sensor to switch it on when the shooter is ready to fire. I believe this should be added due to the fact that it would force players to critically consider the risks associated with night runs instead of being able to run and gun as they normally would. Additionally These lasers would be visible to other players using NVG's making it far more risky for players to use them in order to accurately target their weapon. 

2) There are presently (to my knowledge) no functional IR lasers in the game. Something that would need to be corrected in order to facilitate changes recommend at point 1. 

3) The PVS-14 can be mounted on a rifle to act as a Night Vision Optic. (picture 2) I believe this should be added as it both increases the risk of losing your NVG's assuming you're killed. But also adds a unique alternative on Night Vision rifle optics. Many Red Dot, and Holographic optics have Night vision settings for use in this fashion. 

I believe that this would have a significant positive impact on both realism, and gameplay as it would force players to make critical choices about the equipment they choose to bring and the configuration in which it is brought. I appreciate critique and am open to questions, comments and concerns. 

Cheers!

Edit:

When 'aiming' while on night operations you still shoulder the rifle, you just have to aim with the laser rather than the optic. I'm not suggesting that you're forced to hipfire, simply aim differently than you normally would.

PVS14onBUMPHelmet1.jpg

USGI_PVS14_Mnt_3-1.jpg

Edited by Tactical_Fister
  • Upvote 3

halberger

What do you think about NVG effectiveness in very low light conditions, mainly I think about certain parts of night factory? I'd imagine it would be necessary to use IR flood light to be able to see anything there. There are parts of underground tunnels without any light sources, yet NVG work fine there, while in theory shouldn't work at all, without providing additional illumination.

• Upvote 1

Tactical_Tracke
2 hours ago, halberger said:

What do you think about NVG effectiveness in very low light conditions, mainly I think about certain parts of night factory? I'd imagine it would be necessary to use IR flood light to be able to see anything there. There are parts of underground tunnels without any light sources, yet NVG work fine there, while in theory shouldn't work at all, without providing additional illumination.

You're entirely right. However I don't believe there's a way to properly add the functionality of the IR light. While I do believe it should be added, and that present NVG capability is a little 'too good'. I think the best path forward would be to make NVG more of a well thought out decison as opposed to an 'autotake'.

With a lack of ambient light, in NVG's the picture becomes far more grainy and dark, but at close ranges you can still very easily make out shapes and some fine detail (door handles). And that's in absolute darkness. While it'd be a neat feature to add (varying light levels) I don't believe it a critical issue at this point in time. 

Edited by Tactical_Fister

Russkie11

Great suggestion. That would be something realistic that I believe would be a first.

halberger
20 hours ago, Tactical_Fister said:

I don't believe it a critical issue at this point in time.

I agree and I remember reading in another thread, that the ingame lighting system is far from being finished. Maybe because how detailed gun modding is, I'd like to see that kind of quality put into other aspects as well. The need for dedicated night sights, different flares around light sources.

Adding IR functionality depends on the engine's capability and what the devs can do with it. I liked how it was done in MoH 2010 and it's the only example of working IR floodlight I can think of.

Tactical_Tracke
7 hours ago, halberger said:

I agree and I remember reading in another thread, that the ingame lighting system is far from being finished. Maybe because how detailed gun modding is, I'd like to see that kind of quality put into other aspects as well. The need for dedicated night sights, different flares around light sources.

Adding IR functionality depends on the engine's capability and what the devs can do with it. I liked how it was done in MoH 2010 and it's the only example of working IR floodlight I can think of.

All you'd need to do is build a flashlight, that's only visible to NVG's.