Maybe dehydration shouldn't be insta death?

Jlamontr

Agree or Disagree  

27 members have voted

1. 1. Is death by dehydration balanced?

• yes
    • no

Look, in real life it can take approximately 3 days to perish of dehydration, factors such as temperature can result in heat stroke, which can certainly exasperate dehydration, but it still does not result in a person suddenly collapsing and dying after a single tremor. So my grief is that, in game, it takes just about 4 (1 hour in real life) hours to become dehydrated if nothing is drank (this may be inaccurate, its just my personal experience), and then moments after dehydration hits, death follows. Could this be changed to be more accurate? I think the effects of dehydration work really well, with the screen blur, body pain, and tremors. These effects make life difficult enough, making combat extremely dangerous. But the sudden death, should be delayed, to more accurately reflect real life.

• Thanks 1
  • Upvote 2

I do absolutely agree with this suggestion. I suffered from it twice one time barely survived second time just collapsed and bam! dead:P

I do get the idea but if we aim for a super hardcore game where realism is the point I do believe that this game mechanic should be adjusted. Unless there is a good argument not to?

Dehydrating because of wounds is also a bit of a stretch. How I see it you are bleeding out and yes body is 80% water ( and blood is a liquid as well WOW! :D ) but instead of having dehydration make it harder to stop the bleeding and bigger penalties for rapid movements ( already encountered situation where I bandaged my leg started running and started bleeding again. Great stuff! )

Still I am not a doctor so I don't have much of an idea how body works:P Had quite a few surgeries though, lost a lot of blood one time and didn't really felt that thirsty when I woke up : )

• Like 1

I like the dehydration mechanic the way it is for the following reasons:

1. I figure the slow decrease in the hydration level is a fair, in-game representation;
  2. The current mechanic forces you to plan before entering into a raid. To either carry re-hydrating stuff, or to ensure that your character looks for and uses it;
  3. If injured in raid, then there is a much faster dehydration rate, again, I think this is also a fair, in-game representation and forces you to focus on securing re-hydrating stuff.

All-in-all, the current mechanic simply, imo, adds to the game's intensity!

RedAnne, to your point of not being thirsty after surgery; that is probably because you were on a saline drip

4 minutes ago, RokKlymer said:

I like the dehydration mechanic the way it is for the following reasons:

1. I figure the slow decrease in the hydration level is a fair, in-game representation;
  2. The current mechanic forces you to plan before entering into a raid. To either carry re-hydrating stuff, or to ensure that your character looks for and uses it;
  3. If injured in raid, then there is a much faster dehydration rate, again, I think this is also a fair, in-game representation and forces you to focus on securing re-hydrating stuff.

All-in-all, the current mechanic simply, imo, adds to the game's intensity!

RedAnne, to your point of not being thirsty after surgery; that is probably because you were on a saline drip

Hey man : )

About saline might be true I was very high on morphine so everything was very blury so I won't argue with that :D( PS devs morphine should make you a bit high after injection! blurry sight and hmmm relaxed approach to the world haha : P )

About the water system I don't agree. I like the idea of planning raids and stuff but a situation:

You are in a heavy gun fight - you are wounded but still fairly ok. You are fighting for your life with overwheliming odds grenades exploding people dying moaning for help. You need to reload fast you hear somebody approaching you rather fast. Your heartbeat is scary fast, adrenaline kicks in ( adrenaline parts is important : P ) but suddenly you are thirsty aswell. Oh no! You have 3% of water left!

SALVATION or not!! A hot-rod special drink just in front of you. Footsteps are closer, and closer... Drink fast or get the aim ready...what to do, what to do!?

Obviously I made it a bit silly :) But do you see my reasoning?

As in first post of the topic - it should affect your health harder and harder shakey hands, nervous loud breathing... or even seeing stuff that is not there? How cool would be that? An enemy appears but its just your imagination you fire at it and it fades away?

Still THE ADRENALINE! this can make a potential person in great danger a great threat to the danger. 

It is a lot of ifs and whats but I believe everybody should speak out what's in their mind. I wan't this game to work so hard : )

• Like 1

You dont die instantly from dehydration.  When dehydrated every bodypart takes a certain amount of damage every few seconds.  It can be held in check by constantly using a salewa or an ai-2.  The reason you died instantly is probably because of another mechanic, if you have a blacked body part, and that part takes any damage, you die.  So because dehydration damages every body part at once, it seems instant.  An easy fix for this is simply to always keep a Hot Rod in your inventory when going into a raid.

I also think it should be re-adjusted to not kill you as fast but provide enough side-effects to really make your character miserable such as blurry vision, reduced ability to sprint and aim, maybe only being able to heal any damaged body parts to a specific percentage only depending on how dehydrated the character is.

• Cold 1

Well, it shouldn't, because I don't know how someone would die from dehydration given the max raid timer is what, 60 minutes on shoreline?  How does someone die from dehydration in a single hour

Maybe if you decided to eat your bodies weight in salt or drank six things of soy sauce, but otherwise it doesn't make sense 

Edited by NateLB
  • Like 1