DOG TAGS!!

Mike28

Is that half inch thick material!? More like paper weights..  ;P

Probably have to make a jig to hold actual tags, maybe adjust laser intensity/focal point too.

Lookin clean & awesome otherwise.

15 minutes ago, BLACKST4RR said:

Is that half inch thick material!? More like paper weights..  ;P

Probably have to make a jig to hold actual tags, maybe adjust laser intensity/focal point too.

Lookin clean & awesome otherwise.

It's .25" 6061. They are fully milled using 4 different end mills including and engraving bit for the details you see. Real dog tags are best stamped seeing as how thin they are. I then paint the engraving and sand away the excess after it's dried. The final thickness is 5mm. They're really not that heavy being aluminum. 

Edited by Mike28

4 minutes ago, Mike28 said:

It's .25" 6061. They are fully milled using 4 different end mills including and engraving bit for the details you see. Real dog tags are best stamped seeing as how thin they are. I then paint the engraving and sand away the excess after it's dried.

Does look like pretty deep of a cut compared to what ive seen with laser etching. Had a laser engraver in a class I took, and most CNC machines generally look alike. If you want as much crisp detail like this on thin materials, best done by laser.

Just now, BLACKST4RR said:

Does look like pretty deep of a cut compared to what ive seen with laser etching. Had a laser engraver in a class I took, and most CNC machines generally look alike. If you want as much crisp detail like this on thin materials, best done by laser.

I agree. I've been wanting to build a co2 laser for a while. I could probably fit a lower wattage laser engraving head to my machine...o.O

7 minutes ago, Vikinuts said:

Incredible.
Amazing work, gg dude!

Thank you very much! 

• 4 weeks later...