micro mechanics and feedback (ammo and meds)

Roffinz

hello developers,

As a long time alpha tester and player of this beautiful game i would like to give feedback and criticism to what you are doing next for game play elements and mechanics of the game. I believe that Tarkov has a really unique play style of game-play I've seen in years. The brutal and fast pace of CQC and med range combat, to the long distance engagements. So when it comes to micro managing your character and weapon I strongly suggest you keep it the same. I heard that you will be adding motion cap for "loading magazine" and "medicine" which will completely change the dynamic of everyone playing the game. I understand that you want to make a really hardcore FPS but theres many things in this game that are just video game logic you cannot fix. this game to me is what is walking on this thin silver lining of realism and skill with entertainment. adding these motion caps in my opinion will not only take away the skill of managing bullets and tracking your magazines ammo count. It will change this (in my opinion) great combat and PvP into something i believe this game doesn't fit. if you must add animation to medicine that is fine, but i believe if you must it shouldn't interrupt the players movement, only the ability to shoot back. there is many situations i can explain how even medicine animations could possibly hinder game-play and the ability to counter your opponents ect ect ect. I dont want drive away from my point though on this thread. thank you for reading and i hope you can consider my feedback and maybe respond :) 

DanExert

Bring more full mags and make sure you're in cover before attempting to hand/speed load fresh mags

Make sure you're in cover before using medical items 

It's gonna happen my friend.

Tactical_Tracke
49 minutes ago, Roffinz said:

hello developers,

As a long time alpha tester and player of this beautiful game i would like to give feedback and criticism to what you are doing next for game play elements and mechanics of the game. I believe that Tarkov has a really unique play style of game-play I've seen in years. The brutal and fast pace of CQC and med range combat, to the long distance engagements. So when it comes to micro managing your character and weapon I strongly suggest you keep it the same. I heard that you will be adding motion cap for "loading magazine" and "medicine" which will completely change the dynamic of everyone playing the game. I understand that you want to make a really hardcore FPS but theres many things in this game that are just video game logic you cannot fix. this game to me is what is walking on this thin silver lining of realism and skill with entertainment. adding these motion caps in my opinion will not only take away the skill of managing bullets and tracking your magazines ammo count. It will change this (in my opinion) great combat and PvP into something i believe this game doesn't fit. if you must add animation to medicine that is fine, but i believe if you must it shouldn't interrupt the players movement, only the ability to shoot back. there is many situations i can explain how even medicine animations could possibly hinder game-play and the ability to counter your opponents ect ect ect. I dont want drive away from my point though on this thread. thank you for reading and i hope you can consider my feedback and maybe respond :) 

I think motion caps are going to be a fantastic thing. The idea that you can drag and drop 30 rounds magically into a magazine is absurd. It'll force the players to actually carefully consider load space in both their vest and Backpack to ensure they have a proper amount of ammunition. There's no 'skill' in managing bullets in the current state of the game, It's 'click and drag effectively infinite ammo between two mags'. 

The standard combat load for the US Army, and I'd presume other NATO forces are similar is 7 to 8 Magazines on the vest alone. Reason being is you can't magically teleport rounds into your magazine. The idea that you force a player to choose between space conservation, and less ammo,  or less space and enough ammo is a smart move. Forcing players to bring more magazines will increase the importance of the emergency reload (Drop mag on ground), a feature that is effectively ignored in game due to the current loading system. Because god forbid you bring more than two magazines into a raid. 

In regards to Medical. They absolutely should hinder your movement. With the current state of the game, I can turbo med my way out of a sketchy situation where I otherwise should have died. Simply put you can't realistically dress a wound, apply a splint ect while on the move. Certain items could have reduced 'down time' so to speak such as pain killers and morphine however all other's should make you effectively halt. 

In summery, I believe that adding a motion cap to both reloading (loose ammo into magazine, which is what's intended), and medicating is an immensely good step and will shift the meta to require players to take a far more tactical and conservative approach to missions. 

Tarkov is intended to be as brutal as possible, and reality is brutal.

Edited by Tactical_Fister
  • Like 1
  • Upvote 1
Spectator6

+1 for mag reloads taking some time. That by itself is phenomenal! Add the idea of them being mocapped animations? WOW! This game is pushing every boundary imaginable and then some! Great work devs :) *high five*

Tactical_Tracke

Forgot to mention this is well, But by adding motion caps to both, It's actually make Handguns and your 'holster' slot useful again as you'd be able to carry additional magazines (pockets) and have a suitable 'oh frak' weapon available. As currently stands if you're running a rifle, the holster slot is just there as an extra loot pocket effectively. 

• Like 1
DanExert
Just now, Tactical_Fister said:

Forgot to mention this is well, But by adding motion caps to both, It's actually make Handguns and your 'holster' slot useful again as you'd be able to carry additional magazines (pockets) and have a suitable 'oh frak' weapon available. As currently stands if you're running a rifle, the holster slot is just there as an extra loot pocket effectively. 

This is a great point, and will actually give people a reason to bring in a sidearm.

I would imagine switching to pistol will become quicker as our PMCs become more familiar with the manoeuvre also, which will make for some intense gunfights if say, 2 PMCs come face to face with similar rate of fire weapons, both empty their mags and end up having a quick-draw duel to decide the winner haha

6 hours ago, DanExert said:

Bring more full mags and make sure you're in cover before attempting to hand/speed load fresh mags

Make sure you're in cover before using medical items 

It's gonna happen my friend.

Regardless of what happens. I never said i didn't do anything you suggested above, just voicing my opinion of the current plans for the game as any tester should. Game wants to push a realism but people forget a game is a game, and for my subjective and personal opinion. Many elements of this one still do not act realistically.So why change others if it isn't broken or complained about in the forums? hence that's why it walks on a silver lining. like how they buffed kivers to tank 5.45 and the ops helmet to take 7.62. I love realism but this game still plays out as some suggest an MMO, with skills that  wont let you die from starvation or hydration. I know a lot of the community wants this game to be so realistic youll need to take a poo mid raid, but I believe this game already hit its realistic threshold and obtained a game-play style and feeling that no other games has hit. I know the motion cap will go through, but its better to voice myself instead of crying about it to myself. 

DanExert
4 hours ago, Roffinz said:

Regardless of what happens. I never said i didn't do anything you suggested above, just voicing my opinion of the current plans for the game as any tester should. Game wants to push a realism but people forget a game is a game, and for my subjective and personal opinion. Many elements of this one still do not act realistically.So why change others if it isn't broken or complained about in the forums? hence that's why it walks on a silver lining. like how they buffed kivers to tank 5.45 and the ops helmet to take 7.62. I love realism but this game still plays out as some suggest an MMO, with skills that  wont let you die from starvation or hydration. I know a lot of the community wants this game to be so realistic youll need to take a poo mid raid, but I believe this game already hit its realistic threshold and obtained a game-play style and feeling that no other games has hit. I know the motion cap will go through, but its better to voice myself instead of crying about it to myself. 

Fair comment, also you say many elements of [the new features?] won't be realistic? Or the game at the moment?

I think as far as the physical mechanics themselves are concerned, the devs are trying to achieve the best realism they can, i.e with the new meds, illnesses and mags mechanics coming in, as well as a lot of the things we have already seen like weapons, armour levels, helmets, differing ammunition types, picture-in-picture scope rendering etc. I think the physical world of Tarkov is what they are striving for realism with, and I can imagine the devs have quite a lot more to come in that regard.

I heard talk of moving bodies, unconsciousness, in-depth sniping mechanics as well. Even on the Gear tab we have body temperature and blood pressure(?) readouts so we may even see things like dynamic clothing changes mid-raid come into effect and have to make sure our PMC doesn't freeze/overheat. I wonder what you will say about that :P 

• Thanks 1
2 hours ago, DanExert said:

Fair comment, also you say many elements of [the new features?] won't be realistic? Or the game at the moment?

I think as far as the physical mechanics themselves are concerned, the devs are trying to achieve the best realism they can, i.e with the new meds, illnesses and mags mechanics coming in, as well as a lot of the things we have already seen like weapons, armour levels, helmets, differing ammunition types, picture-in-picture scope rendering etc. I think the physical world of Tarkov is what they are striving for realism with, and I can imagine the devs have quite a lot more to come in that regard.

I heard talk of moving bodies, unconsciousness, in-depth sniping mechanics as well. Even on the Gear tab we have body temperature and blood pressure(?) readouts so we may even see things like dynamic clothing changes mid-raid come into effect and have to make sure our PMC doesn't freeze/overheat. I wonder what you will say about that :P 

the temperature thing will be very interesting. I wonder if BEARS will naturally have better tolerance in harsh cold conditions. also saw a radiation sign i believe? (correct me if im wrong.) so it be cool to have rad suits and everything in certain areas. it will make me feel very welcomed like STALKER did :). and as far as features to respond to your question is the ones that they haven't discussed. (i.e like the hydration skill or the new "berserk" buff from pain tolerance) also some of the current game features such as painkillers effecting immediately. saying stuff like that though is just nitpicking for both sides of discussion. either way im excited for new changes, as long they are done fairly and correctly. who know maybe im just overreacting because i don't want to see mistakes on a game with real potential to break the stigma of the genre in todays age.

• Like 1
DanExert
8 hours ago, Roffinz said:

the temperature thing will be very interesting. I wonder if BEARS will naturally have better tolerance in harsh cold conditions. also saw a radiation sign i believe? (correct me if im wrong.) so it be cool to have rad suits and everything in certain areas. it will make me feel very welcomed like STALKER did :). and as far as features to respond to your question is the ones that they haven't discussed. (i.e like the hydration skill or the new "berserk" buff from pain tolerance) also some of the current game features such as painkillers effecting immediately. saying stuff like that though is just nitpicking for both sides of discussion. either way im excited for new changes, as long they are done fairly and correctly. who know maybe im just overreacting because i don't want to see mistakes on a game with real potential to break the stigma of the genre in todays age.

Yeah radiation and toxicity if I remember correctly (I'm 'working' at the moment lol)

I know what you mean mate, we all are very passionate about the game and want it to be the best it can be, though we have no choice but to trust the devs and buckle up for the ride haha. From what I can tell they have a very specific vision in mind, and I truly believe they can achieve their vision