NVG + THERMAL

Nordic_Beard

Why? 

NVG is broken enough that you can use it with scopes, no need for more artificial improvements. 

Why I say it's broken? Because IRL when you use NVG you must set depth of vision, are whatever you call it in english (focus). So either you have sharp distance and blurred close, or blurred distance and sharp close.

Check here:

Spoiler

Edited by Forien
  • Thanks 1
  • Upvote 1

Okay so first thing: Know that you can link to a particular VOD and timestamp within that VOD so that people don't need to go digging for your examples. In this case, here it is https://www.twitch.tv/videos/216389540?t=01h22m12s

You could also Clip it if you want this video to be relevant after the VOD lifespan runs out.

But I've got to agree with Forien here, NODs are nowhere near that crisp and focused. There's an intrinsic Depth of Field that happens when you view objects close up through night vision. So nightvision in general needs to be tuned down for realism. Likewise I'm not really familiar with any FLIR optics that are night vision compatible, since they all utilize direct illumination themselves, so I'm fairly certain the blooming is pretty on base too.

That said, since a night vision monocular is used in this instance, it would be interesting if it rendered a dedicated screenspace as night vision, user selectable as left or right side screen. In this scenario the PVS could be left eye, and while optics-up the NV screen could go out of focus in favor of the FLIR scope. That might be something worth exploring for this scenario

Edited by Cevune
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Cevune said:

That said, since a night vision monocular is used in this instance, it would be interesting if it rendered a dedicated screenspace as night vision, user selectable as left or right side screen. In this scenario the PVS could be left eye, and while optics-up the NV screen could go out of focus in favor of the FLIR scope. That might be something worth exploring for this scenario

Yeah, I thought about that too, that monoculars should affect only part of the screen, right or left as user wants. 

The NV is pretty broken, with the fact that you can use with optics with magnification. And there is no correct IR reflection on the vegetation, bushes and trees.

About the image quality, should be dependent on the amount of moon/star light as with real NV., But with the amount of light there is on all maps except factory, the image would be very crisp and clean,.

And the thing with focus, that would require to extra buttons, which IMO would be too much technicality., Further more speaking from experience a dual tube setup really helps with the depth of field.

• 2 years later...

Just like irl you wouldn’t use both at the same time. I do use both while hog hunting at night tho. This is done with a single nv mono on a swivel helmet mount. So I basically look thru the nv in my dominant eye while driving/walking around. Then swivel it to the left eye and use my thermal sight on my right. Have to close left eye at that point as it does mess with your head a little.

as far as I know this isn’t possible ingame but it would be a cool addition. To be able to run it on one eye then when ads it swaps to the other. 

• 2 years later...

So I’m looking into either getting an NVG or a thermal scope. I have next to no experience in these. The only night vision I have operated is on my TrackingPoint gun and it’s gen 2. I want something that I can use to hunt coyotes but I want it to be versatile too. I was wondering if anyone has experience in these items and if anyone can answer these questions maybe.

Can you shoot accurately looking through NVG’s or would a NV scope be better? Does the muzzle flash blind you when you shoot with NVG’s? I know thermal can see through smoke, dust storms and things of that nature but how far can you see with them? How far can you see with gen 3 NV? I am also studying about these monoculars Can anyone guide about all these stuff...